Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2024 :  3:58:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Alee! Here's another good children's book:

Reading this book will make your day. And if you give it as a gift, you'll be doing the same for others, and then when your recipients call to tell you it made their day, you'll get a made day all over again. It's the applause kind of ripples-on-a-pond story (actually the Spokane River in Washington) that we can't seem to get enough of. Thank you to the banker, who in real life rescued the paddling of ducklings, catching them one by one midair, and the onlookers who cheered him on. Thank you to the author, an attorney, who decided to rally his mother, age 79, and his daughter, age 12, to help him illustrate it. And if you're a boomer like me, who raised a brood of children reading them the classic 1941 Make Way for Ducklings book about a pair of mallards who raised their brood in the Boston Public Garden and a police officer who stops traffic for them, you’ll probably still remember reading this out loud hundreds of times, Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Quark, Quack, and Pack. And you might even remember that the bronze statue of the ducks that was erected in the Boston Public Garden took on global ramifications when Barbara Bush gave a duplicate statue to Raisa Gorbechev as part of the START treaty. Now we’re talking world diplomacy, which is exactly where The Downtown Ducks is headed, because ... https://www.raisingjane.org/journal/

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1133 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2024 :  5:47:42 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful story Mary Jane! Thank you for sharing because I never heard about this in the news. I will be ordering this book to add to my collection of children’s books. I worked in the school system for seventeen years and have saved all of the books I used to read to my classes, in hopes of reading to a future grandchild. I remember and have read Make Way for Ducklings many times, but that one belonged to the school. Maybe I will order it as well.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Farmgirl of the Month: Aug/2022

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2024 :  12:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
MaryJane- I’ll buy that one too! Thank you for the book recommendations! I’ll let you know when your new book is on its way!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2024 :  1:08:44 PM  Show Profile
I have a children's book suggestion! It's called Mootilda's Bad Mood.

My kids laugh every time we read it and I promise you really need to emphasize the animal noises in the words. It makes the book so much better! It really turns someone in a bad mood into a good mood.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16297 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16297 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2024 :  1:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Krista, Mootilda sounds wonderful. I'm getting a copy for my grandson.

Here he is on his first plane ride earlier this week on his way to Boise from here. He loved every minute of it.

Also, did you know that my mother Helen's mother's mother was named Hilda Matilda? Would that make her your great great grandmother?

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1133 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2024 :  2:22:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Krista, I will look for that one too! Have you heard of the Wonkey Donkey? It came out a few years back and sounds very fun. I told my son, when they are ready to announce they are expecting a baby, to buy me that one for my first granny book, lol.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Farmgirl of the Month: Aug/2022

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6741 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6741 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2024 :  2:01:47 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane, he will love that book! I hope he enjoys it as much as my kids. I bet that plane flight was super exciting. Does he get to fly back as well? I do know about Hilda Matilda! I have actually known about her for quite a few years now and always loved how her name rhymed. Here is a fun fact for you. My oldest is born on the same day as Hilda, which would be his great great great grandmother, just 137 years later.

Wanda, I haven't heard of the Wonkey Donkey. I just looked it up on Youtube and watched a lady reading it. It's so stinking cute! I definitely need to add that book to my collection. Thank you!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9262 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9262 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2024 :  03:47:52 AM  Show Profile
You will love The Wonkey Donkey. Too funny! I am going to look into these other books for my grandson. He loves books! Thank you for the recommendations.

~Denise
Sister #43~

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Reading with MaryJane Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page