Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Dill or sweet pickle relish?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Dill or sweet pickle relish? Next Topic  

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6738 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6738 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2024 :  1:31:28 PM  Show Profile
Next week I will be making some deviled eggs for the family Easter get together. The recipe calls for pickle relish. So, which pickle relish do you use in your deviled eggs? Dill or Sweet?

Krista

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2024 :  1:38:05 PM  Show Profile
I like sweet pickle relish in deviled eggs, but dill is a close second. Leftover deviled eggs make a very good egg salad sandwich.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 - Feb 2019 - Oct 2023

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17052 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17052 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2024 :  1:40:38 PM  Show Profile
Both!
Don’t laugh, when I make deviled eggs, I have to make two batches. One batch made with miracle, whip and sweet pickle, relish, and the second batch made with mayonnaise, mustard and a little paprika.
I personally do not like miracle, whip or sweet, relish, but my husband and daughter do. But thank goodness my son-in-law likes deviled eggs made with mayo and mustard and paprika like I do. So it’s a win-win for all of us. If your family likes miracle whip, I suggest sweet relish. Or you could even make several different batches, I saw one recipe with mayonnaise, tad of mustard, diced up, black olives. Which really sounds good to me. If you Google deviled egg recipes, you probably will find a gazillion recipes. But I like the old tri and true recipes. Either way have fun, oh, and by the way, what time is the meal? I’ll put my rollerskates on and head your way! Ha ha ha.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17052 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17052 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2024 :  1:43:09 PM  Show Profile
In case you are wondering why all the commas, I use voice texting and sometimes forget to pause, or say, comma or say period.

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6464 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6464 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2024 :  1:46:52 PM  Show Profile
I love both but dilll is my favorite.And my all time favorite is German Dill Pickles as they are the best! We have deviled Eggs too but I do not use any relish.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Mar 22 2024 1:48:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2141 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2141 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2024 :  1:55:39 PM  Show Profile
Sweet for sure! Deviled eggs made with mayo, sweet relish, mustard, and celery seeds. Yum. Sometimes a dash of curry powder or chili powder.

C
Grace -- don't worry about the commas. I've found that try ing to type with braces on causes all kinds of typos. I have to proofread like crazy.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2024 :  3:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I am a Helmann's Mayo gal (like my mother) and Ed will eat either mayo or Miracle Whip. Personally, I like sweet relish in deviled eggs, with Mayo and a little mustard.

I remember growing up that my mmother always called it Pickalilly (not quite sure how it is spelled). I called it that and Ed asked what that was, and I said that's what I grew up calling pickle relish. Have any of you heard or used that term before?

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month
August 2015, April 2017 and June 2023

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Mar 22 2024 3:07:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2141 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2141 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2024 :  3:08:54 PM  Show Profile
I've heard the term and I've seen it in my ancient Ball canning book. I'm not sure if it is the same as relish or has different ingredients.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2141 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2141 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2024 :  3:14:38 PM  Show Profile
I seemed to recall hearing that Hellmans and best Foods are the same brand so I looked up in Wikipedia : "The Hellmann's brand is sold in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains; Latin America; Europe; Australia;[1] the Middle East; Canada; India; and Pakistan. The Best Foods brand is sold in the United States west of the Rocky Mountains; in East Asia; Southeast Asia; Australia,[2] and New Zealand."
Interesting, I wonder why the difference

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4336 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4336 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2024 :  3:40:06 PM  Show Profile
Dill for me for sure!! I can't seem to tolerate the taste of the sweet! My beautiful mom was always so attentive to my picky eating and it was sweet for others but she knew how much I loved her salads and eggs made with real mayo and dill relish!! Sometimes I even add it to my regular lettuce salads. Yummy! Think ill have one tonight!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9261 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9261 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2024 :  05:30:23 AM  Show Profile
I use sweet in deviled eggs but keep both on hand because we like them both for different things.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6738 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6738 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2024 :  12:58:22 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your input! Looks like I will be making mine with sweet this weekend. I will have to try dill in the future.

Sara, I always turn the kids colored eggs into our egg salad sandwiches. It's a staple for this time of year!

Grace, I am not a fan of miracle whip either. That's awesome you can make both.

Judith, I haven't ever had any deviled eggs like yours. Are they spicy? We have Best Foods here. That is so interesting why the name changes.

Linda, I haven't heard that term before.

Dianna, your mother sounds great! Hopefully you enjoy some on your lettuce salads.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2141 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2141 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2024 :  2:53:45 PM  Show Profile
Krista -- Flavorful but not spicy. I'm allergic to chili peppers so nothing spicy for me. If I accidentally eat something hot I have to take an anti-nausea pill. It happens a lot around her as DH loves everything hotter than blazes. I make him use his own cutting board.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9261 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9261 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2024 :  5:52:46 PM  Show Profile
Linda I have heard that term before butt only in a Lucille Ball movie called "The Long, Long Trailer. Hilarious!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 25 2024 5:53:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17052 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17052 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2024 :  8:00:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh Denise,, I have the VHS video of "the Long Long Trailer".. I really should buy a DVD version.. especially since I no longer have a VHS player! lol!

Back when I use to have 'Trailer Slumber parties' on our property, I brought out a TV and we trailer babes would watch 'The Long Long Trailer' around the campfire, yes with a glass of wine and tons of junk snacks, ... Oh what fun memories.

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2284 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2284 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2024 :  08:25:20 AM  Show Profile
I use whatever mood I am in at the time. No matter which you choose, they will be delicious.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6738 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6738 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2024 :  11:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Judith, I am not a fan of spicy foods. They really hurt my stomach. So the spiciest I go is basic taco seasoning. I will have to give yours a try sometime.

Grace, your trailer slumber party sounds like so much fun!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Dill or sweet pickle relish? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page