Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Hurrying up to catch up to Spring!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hurrying up to catch up to Spring! Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2024 :  06:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
A week ago there was nothing green above ground and now the green haze of spring is starting to show up around the edges of the yard.

This week I’m feeling that shift of the earth towards waking up from her long winters slumber. She has pushed off the covers and is sitting up in bed stretching.

Last year I started doing no dig gardening though my chickens sure have been digging enough for all of us! I still have a couple beds to set up but it’s slowly getting there.

Today I will be sowing seeds, building fencing, building more beds, and starting more seeds inside! Wish me luck! I’m trying to get to a point where we are less dependent on the grocery store!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2024 :  06:42:11 AM  Show Profile
Alee, love the way you described spring. May your garden grow and may you always enjoy working in it.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 - Feb 2019 - Oct 2023

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2024 :  06:46:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh thank you Sara! :) I’m researching guilds and permaculture- I love learning new things! And I finally found a copy of Solviva so at night I am going to be reading that!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2024 :  9:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My romaine lettuce has sprouted in some of the starter pots! I love eager seeds that don’t lollygag around taking forever to sprout!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6726 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6726 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2024 :  1:06:41 PM  Show Profile
Alee, it sounds like you will be busy. I am ready for spring to officially arrive here so I can start in my garden as well.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2024 :  3:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I bought two years worth of sheared wool from a local lady. I read it is really great for the garden and can take up to 2 years to fully break down. Here are my raspberries with wool around the base. I’ll put compost on top and you won’t even see the wool!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2024 :  3:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here is the same raspberry bed expanded and covered with compost

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2024 :  06:21:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alee, it is great to hear from you again ! Glad some changes are happening out your way as Spring makes its way up to your state. The wool compost idea is fascinating and one I have never heard to before.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2024 :  05:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have a friend that has offered me even more wool for free! I am glad because I really do think I will run out before I have gotten all I want done. It does make my yard a tiny bit stinky right now because I am using old raw wool- but I think once it warms up and starts to breakdown a little- the smell should go away. One study used just wool in containers- no soil and the plants did great!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2024 :  05:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I got more progress done yesterday. Please ignore the mess on my porch. It looks bad now but will eventually come together… I hope!

The new garden bed is right on top of the grass- I laid raw wool down in a thick layer and covered it with a thick layer of aged compost. Next I am going to do another bed from the raspberries out to the sidewalk along my neighbors fence. Since my backyard gets a lot of shade, it will become my cool weather crop zone- lettuces, peas, etc

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2024 :  3:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My son told me today that we had to work hard and get plants growing for food! All I could say was “you sure are right!” He helped me move some compost and put more wool down

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2024 :  7:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We went to dinner for my dad’s birthday today, but when we came home Zack wanted to do more “dirt work”. After a couple wheelbarrows of compost to the new garden beds I am making I worked on weeding my mint patch. My mint is very important to me as I like to drink mint tea every day. I make a blend of chocolate mint and peppermint. I have been doing that since I was in middle school and had my first garden. Last year the mint struggled and I was worried I was going to have to move it. You know it’s bad if the mint doesn’t thrive!!! But it is already coming up and putting out new shoots! I gave it a good layer of compost. Across the window well is my strawberry nursery. I have no clue what strain of strawberries I have, but I think they are a June bearing as they send out lots of runners and stay fairly low to the ground. I cleaned up that bed from the winter damage and had to relocate a few babies to one of the new garden beds. Zack helped or kept me company the whole time which was fantastic!

Slowly making progress! It was 70 degrees here today!

My iris’s from MaryJane’s Farm are coming up! Someday I hope to have a robust iris bed like MaryJane has at her farm! One of my favorite memories from when I lived in Moscow was visiting the farm while the iris’s were blooming! They have such a lovely fragrance- you almost feel drunk breathing it in! This will be their second year so I doubt I will have a blossom but I am excited to see the foliage coming up so strongly!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2024 :  07:19:11 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I always thought mint was an easy herb to grow but sometimes it has not done well for me. Spearmint for me is the hardest mint to grow and I like to grow it for its medicinable properties. Hearing you talk about your son helping you makes me happy for you, those are good memories.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2024 :  12:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Today we were penned inside by rain and snow- hoping to get outside tomorrow more! I have a lot to get done in the next couple weeks but I am looking forward to having my garden growing strong!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2024 :  06:28:51 AM  Show Profile
Alee, that's the way gardening goes, before sowing/planting we don't need it to rain or in your case snow too, then after seeds/plants are in the ground or in my case containers/raised beds, we need it to rain. I hope the next several weeks go well for you and you accomplish all you need to do in your garden.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2024 :  2:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It’s cold and gross again today but not snowing, so I got my front porch washed and swept. I also put up a cute metal decoration on my gate. I’m making plant identifiers- the paint pens kept getting “snagged” on the base paint so I might have to rethink a bit.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2024 :  7:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The peas were getting very eager to be out, my willow trellis arrived yesterday, and the wind died down enough that I got some peas planted! Just half a row so far of Little Marvel peas and a few strawberry baby transplants, but I am excited to have this bit started!
Willow trellis

Eager Little Marvel (heirloom)

Work so far for tonight- a little bit of my garden’s petticoat (the wool) is showing but that’s ok!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2024 :  9:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Peas, mint, strawberries, romaine lettuce and some onions are into the bed! Got some expert help today!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6726 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6726 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2024 :  2:16:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow Alee. You have been super busy. It is all looking great. I am excited to see how everything turns out once you are finished.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hurrying up to catch up to Spring! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page