Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2024 :  11:08:56 AM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (#8422, Jokamartell) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Badge!

"I posted in the Scattered Prairie Girls Hennhouse on March 31, 2023 announcing that I was hosting a reusable bag swap and asked for others to join me.

I shared with my family and friends why we needed to bring and use our own bags when going shopping. In the state that I live in, we are charged 8 cents per bag if we do not bring our own to use. Bringing our own bags saves money as well as saving the environment and resources.

I had 8 sisters participate in the swap including myself. The requirements of the swap were to either purchase or make a reusable shopping bag to share with your partner. It was a fun swap! And I’m happy to report that my hubby and I know are in the habit of taking bags when we leave to go shopping. A bonus is that I don’t have the store brand bags falling all over and out of my cabinets. :)"

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2024 :  11:10:26 AM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (#8422, Jokamartell) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Badge!

"I kept a gratitude journal for 30 days and read the book of awesome every day for 30 days.

I have always done my best to be grateful for the things in my life. I especially like to reflect on what I am grateful for at the end of each day. Putting things in writing makes them feel more permanent."

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2024 :  11:12:01 AM  Show Profile
Karen Martell (#8422, Jokamartell) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Badge!

"For the intermediate badge, I created a bracelet using buttons and twine from my collection.

I love my bracelet, I did have to restart twice as my twine was not near long enough to make the bracelet fit. Third time is a charm! lol. I’ve received some compliments from family and friends when I was wearing the bracelet! It was very fun to make."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2024 :  11:20:25 AM  Show Profile
Denise Thompson (#43, levisgrammy) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Badge!

"I crocheted a dishcloth using cotton thread and a size H hook. It involved a chain, single, double and triple crochet stitches.

I made my dishcloth in red as I will be giving it for a gift in a valentine swap.

It came out to 8.5 x 8.5 size which is what the pattern called for."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2024 :  11:21:45 AM  Show Profile
Denise Thompson (#43, levisgrammy) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Badge!

"I made a set of quilted potholders for a Christmas swap. I learned about using Insulbright for batting as it is heat resistant. I did mostly straight seams making a center piece of fabric with a border around and put the front batting and backing together with the backing wrong side out. I left a small open seam to turn the backing. I also added a loop pinned so the ends would be caught in the seam. So when I turned the backing the loop was in the corner and then I sewed by hand the opening adding a topstitch all around the edge.

The potholders turned out a bit larger than I intended but were large enough to cover the hand when taking a pan out of the oven."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2024 :  11:22:45 AM  Show Profile
Denise Thompson (#43, levisgrammy) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Badge!

"I made a quilted table topper. I used some fun Halloween fabric and stitched the top together using triangles and squares. I machine sewed the top together but after putting the top, batting and backing together I quilted it by hand. Using the "stitch in the ditch" method. When I finished that I added a border and made mitered corners.

It turned out well. I had difficulty getting the points straight but after I got the hang of it, they seemed to all come together.
I gave the topper away as a gift."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2024 :  11:26:22 AM  Show Profile
Denise Thompson (#43, levisgrammy) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Quilting Badge!

"I made a full sized quilt. The pattern I used is called flower garden.
I used maroon, pink and white with some of the fabric being a print.

It turned out well. It included a lot of triangles and squares to make the basket parts and the flowers were all triangles done point to point. Some of the squares did not come out to the same size so they had to be redone. After each square I would iron them all pressing the dark side to dark so it wouldn't show through the white background. I added two border and quilted everything by hand. The recipient was very happy with their gift."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2024 :  11:28:04 AM  Show Profile
Denise Thompson (#43, levisgrammy) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Badge!

"I have been collecting buttons for years. My collection started with my grandmother's button tin which was passed to my mother and on to me. Many are vintage. Some I have saved from my children's clothes as they outgrew them and also from my husband's uniforms from the time of his military service.

As you can see from the photo I have many buttons and I collect more from thrift stores and old clothing. My collection has grown considerably since I got the button tin from my mom."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2024 :  11:33:04 AM  Show Profile
Emily Nellinger (#8229, citychick03) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level International Civics Challenge Badge!

"I used Google to answer the questions and learn more about the Greek government.

It was really interesting to learn even more about the Greek gov't. I found out:

1. The Greek government was established in 1822. After two coups, one in 1923-24, and a second from 1967-1973, the current form of the gov't was established in 1974.

2. The view of individual rights offers full protection of life, honor, and freedom; regardless of nationality, race, creed, or political allegiance.
Civil Issues include political party competition, corruption, discrimination, and poor conditions for migrants.

3. Significant historical events include The Greek War of Independence from the Ottoman Empire, which established the gov't of Greece in 1822. In 1924, King George 2, was kicked out of the country after a year of unrest. Greece had its first president shortly after.
In 1967- another political war/coup happened which established the current form of the Gov't in 1974.

4. The forms of gov't before the current gov't were Democracy, Monarchy, and Oligarchy."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  10:16:29 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Fischer (#1582, Blessed in Colorado) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl's Best Friend Badge!

"I have owned dogs and cats for 50 years since I got married. The one that stands out to me the most is My Heidi Girl who was 17 when I lost her Sept. 12, 2023. I had her since she was 8 weeks old. She was a Mini Long Red Hair Dachshund. We saw her through cancer in 2020 and again through her old age. At the end of Heidi Girl's life I was her eyes, ears and legs. I was her caregiver for years and I would not have had it any other way. She was my Best Friend. I miss her so much and I am so lonely without her.

She lived 17 years under my care and she was the Best of the Best! Heidi Girl had puppies only once, she had 4 Beautiful Puppies. Lokie the Runt sadly did not make it. Then there was Holly who passed away in 2021. We still have Bella Girl who is 14 years old, we love her dearly. We kept all her puppies as they were a part of her we could not hear to part with them. Bella Girl is Heidi Girl's legacy!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  10:18:03 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Fischer (#1582, Blessed in Colorado) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Badge!

"My goal is to exercise more with Chair Yoga, to walk more mainly for my health. At 68 I need to keep moving so my old bones do not hurt so bad! I am doing Chair Yoga from an app I downloaded. Its starts out slow and then you work your way up to harder exercises and going for longer periods of time. It has been fun and a challenge all at once!

It is working out extremely well so far, I feel better and I am sleeping better which is a plus. So now to firm up and try and drop a few pounds along the way!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  10:21:47 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Fischer (#1582, Blessed in Colorado) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Badge!

"I wear hearing aids and I have Tinnitus so I have to find ways to block the noise; it bothers me so and causes stress.

So, I have two things I do to relax me and help me with my stress.
During the day I take my hearing aids out and sit in my rocking chair overlooking outside so I can watch the wildlife. Then I put my headset on and listen to CALM.

Bilateral Stimulation Sound Healing Music. It has been proven that listening to Bilateral Stimulation Music will help with Tinnitus. Studies have shown that the music bouncing from ear to ear is trying to trick the brain to not make sound on its own. I usually do this a half hour or longer.

Secondly at night I have an Oasis Sound Machine with different outdoor sounds. Now I do not like white noise or blue noise; I listen to a babbling creek, the rain falling, birds singing, the ocean waves and many more sounds. I can finally fall asleep listening to sweet sounds and not the ringing in my ears.

These two things I do relax me and I find taking some time for myself is a good thing as we all need time alone!

I firmly believe listening to my favorite music like above or the Gregorian Monks helps me relax and chill to help me get through stressful days.

As for my Tinnitus I believe it is going to take longer to achieve what I want. I do not believe it will permanently go away, I hope I am wrong, but if what I am doing softens or quiets it down a bit - it is so loud - then it is all worth. And I also listen to it as it does help to block some of hubby’s snoring!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  10:55:06 AM  Show Profile
Krista Davis (#528, maryjanesniece) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Calligraphy Badge!

"I earned this badge by reading the required book and practicing some basic calligraphy. I choose to use some of my basic calligraphy skills to make food item tags for my son's first birthday. I also practiced some of those skills on monthly card swaps.

I have really enjoyed learning how to use calligraphy. It was nice to add a little extra flare to my son's birthday and receive all the compliments that I did. It's also fun adding it to my card swaps for a little extra practice."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  10:57:22 AM  Show Profile
Krista Davis (#528, maryjanesniece) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level UFOs Badge!

"I earned this badge by completing more of my UFOs for a total of 30 hours. I was able to finish 15 more UFOs with this badge. I also took away 2 projects that I no longer had any interest in.

All my UFO's turned out exactly as planned and I didn't acquire anymore UFOs for the year. I was also given the motivation to continue finishing any remaining UFOs. The list of remaining UFO's is much smaller than before."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  11:05:55 AM  Show Profile
Hannah Frankowski (#6994, GinnyBelle) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Badge!

"Every morning before work for the last two weeks, I read my magazines and books for 15 minutes.

I feel like I did pretty well, all things considered. I made a point to leave my phone out of reach so I wouldn't be tempted to scroll Facebook. That alone made for a relaxing time. But where I struggled a bit was with my critters. It's hard to be completely relaxed when the dog is pestering for a walk and the two kitties are fighting for lap real estate. Haha!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  11:12:58 AM  Show Profile
Denise Thompson (#43, levisgrammy) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Badge!

"I decided to use one of the badges that I have done in all three levels. That way I could use 4 different stitches from when I first learned to embroider. I use the backstitch, the running stitch, the outline stitch and the chain stitch.

I liked the way it turned out but having printed my badge onto fabric that I can iron on to a later project made it difficult to get my needle through. The chain was a challenge as I had not done that one in quite a while.

I chose not to fill in the bag as I will use paints for that."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  11:22:13 AM  Show Profile
Tina VanDaam (#8431, TinaTina) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Quilling Badge!

"I earned this badge by building a 3 dimensional dome along with a bigger heart and a little ladybug. It took me a while because I had a vision in my head and was building as I went along.

This project turned out pretty good and I was pleased with it. It was challenging and impressed with my new skill as well as fun!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  11:29:27 AM  Show Profile
Joanne Seruto (#7580, JoanneMS58) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Badge!

"I have created several sewing kits for various occasions:)

It turned out wonderfully! I have begun sewing on my machine and have even finished several quilted table runners."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  11:31:24 AM  Show Profile
Joanne Seruto (#7580, JoanneMS58) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Badge!

"I enrolled in a Beginner Knitting course at a local Yarn store and completed a scarf for my granddaughter and a beanie for myself.

I am currently working on a shawl, also for myself. Loving every minute !! I also ventured on my own and knitted a garland of hearts for Valentine decor.

I am hooked !!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  11:33:35 AM  Show Profile
Joanne Seruto (#7580, JoanneMS58) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Badge!

"I have been cross stitching for years now - 30 plus. I have completed so many projects .I am very fond of this book I cross stitched in support of the Ukrainian people. I have taught several at a local EGA chapter that I belong to. I have also tried to inspire my grand children, who I must say love creating but in their own style.

It turned out wonderfully. I also added vintage lace on the back of the bookmark. It helped hide and protect the back of my work. I find that cross stitching helps me relax at anytime of the day!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  11:35:39 AM  Show Profile
Joanne Seruto (#7580, JoanneMS58) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Cross-Stitch Badge!

"I use all types of linen and Aida for my projects. I definitely know how to determine the size of fabric I will need and if I should be using an evenweave linen when appropriate. I try and help others to foster the love of this craft.

Years ago I was a part of the teaching staff for our yearly fundraising event.

I just recently completed all the finishing for a Chatelaine that also doubles as my name tag.

Completing this Chatelaine was a personal victory for me. I did not design the bands as I picked them from books that I own. The layout and color choices I can take pride in that they are mine.

And the way I finished the pockets are just perfect for me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  11:37:26 AM  Show Profile
Joanne Seruto (#7580, JoanneMS58) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Badge!

"I took a class from an experienced quilter in my neighborhood. Completed a Table Topper, Table Runner and a Lap Size Quilt for my mother.

It was such a great experience, I truly love creating with fabric. They are not perfect but every stitch was a learning experience. Also made friends with other women in my neighborhood who share my passion.
I am already cutting out fabric for my next project."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  11:48:35 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (#4701, nndairy) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Kitchen Renegade Badge!

"For this badge I chose to make some maple syrup. I already know all about the importance of sanitation from my dairy farming and canning experience so for the beginner level I researched all about sugaring.

I learned how to identify maple trees (and found out the red maples I have in my back yard are the least preferred maple to use), when the best time to tap the trees is, and different methods to cook the sap."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  11:49:55 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (#4701, nndairy) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Kitchen Renegade Badge!

"For the intermediate level I got my supplies - a drill, taps, buckets, pots, a turkey fryer, propane tanks, a hydrometer and test cup, and some bottles. I put in 3 taps, hung the buckets, waited a couple days for the temperature to get above freezing, collected the sap, and cooked some syrup!

The first batch was an EPIC failure!!!! It caught fire."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2024 :  11:52:05 AM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (#4701, nndairy) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Kitchen Renegade Badge!

" "If at first you don't succeed, try try again!" Luckily the sap continued to flow after the first batch was ruined so I learned from my mistakes and tried again. I transferred the syrup into a smaller pan to finish boiling.

It turned out fantastic! I am happy to say I have now successfully boiled syrup 8 times so far. The sap is still running so there's more to be made. I've been using it almost as fast as I make it. Of course the first thing I made was pancakes. I've also made maple nut clusters (my favorite), chocolate chip cookies with maple syrup instead of sugar, and put it on bacon (my husband's favorite).

I also visited a commercial syrup operation that has 1200 taps and uses drop lines instead of buckets. It was neat but I don't think I'm going to ever get that big. I don't have the time or the money to get all that equipment!!!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page