AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2022 :  3:18:51 PM  Show Profile
Looks like some great books everyone is reading. I just finished A light beyond the trenches by Alan Hlad. I couldn't put it down. It's about WW1 and a school that trained seeing eye dogs for blind veterans.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2022 :  07:29:13 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like a good book Andrea. I just ordered it from my library. I enjoy reading books about WW1.

Dawn in IL

Hello June, let the summer begin!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6771 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6771 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2022 :  2:04:30 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading “The Lost Girls of Willowbrook”. It was a very good book and a hard one to put down. Not very many books suck me in this bad. What made it even more intense was the fact it was based off the real Willowbrook State School in Staten Island and all the horrible things that happened there. I wasn’t aware of this place until I found the book. I’m so happy it was finally shut down. I have also enjoyed learning about the history of this site.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2022 :  5:02:53 PM  Show Profile
That sounds like a good one Krista. I'm going to add it to my list.
Dawn - have you finished the book yet? I hope you liked it.
I just finished The Forest of Vanishing Stars by Kristin Harmel. It's about Jews who escaped the Russians and Germans. It's about people helping each other survive. The book is based on facts. I never heard about the people who hid in the forest in Poland. There is a book "Defiance" and a movie with the same name is based on the book. I might add this one to my list too.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2022 :  6:10:01 PM  Show Profile
I loved this book. It was very interesting. I hadn't realized the seeing eye dog school had begun in Germany. The story was very compelling and I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in WW1. Thanks for telling us about it Andrea.

Dawn in IL

“Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.” Anne of Green Gables
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3021 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3021 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2022 :  7:06:00 PM  Show Profile
Andrea - I just read the same book not to long ago! I'm not 100% sure but I think the same author also wrote The Lost Book of Names. It's another WWII book about helping Jews - mostly children - escape and the book of lost names is a code so the children's real identity isn't lost. If you like The Forest of Vanishing Stars you'll like it.

Krista - That sounds like an interesting book!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6480 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6480 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2022 :  7:17:11 PM  Show Profile
I just finished Magnolia Palace, great book and The Land Between Us. Both excellent books, one goes back in time between 1960 and 1916. The Land Between Us is about WW II both fabulous historical fiction. Thank you Heather.
I really enjoy historical fiction from WWII, I only wish I could find it from the Civil War Era.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3021 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3021 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2022 :  6:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen any from the civil war era either. I'll have to keep my eye out - that would be interesting I think.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2022 :  10:05:47 AM  Show Profile
I love to read !! I have almost a thousdand books on my Kindle and usually read around 150+ a year. Well, you know, I live in the boonies and we have long winters up here. LOL. Anywway here are three Civil War era books for you to consider. I enjoyed all three --
1. "Thread Collectors" by Shaunna Edwards
2. "Rebel Behind Lines" by Seymour Reit
3. "The Cotillion Brigade" by Glen Craney
Enjoy and let us know what you think if you read any of them. Maybe we could have some discussions.

I just finished "The Fire and the Ore" a fascinating read about the Mormon handcart migration and the challenges of being a polygmous wife. Historical fiction based on the author's real life ancestors.
Happy reading,
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

"When life gives you junk, make a junk journal."
. . . .jean pici
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2022 :  5:08:44 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you liked the book Dawn.
Heather - yes, same author and it's on my list!
Debbie & Jean - Well now I'm going to have to get a library card, my list is getting to long!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2023 :  08:23:26 AM  Show Profile
I just started reading The Second Life of Mirielle West. Read 8 chapters so far and it's really good. Had to renew my drivers license yesterday and it sure made the time go fast. I was there almost 2 hours.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1462 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1462 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2023 :  6:38:21 PM  Show Profile
Andrea, that’s a long time!! Smart thinking to take a book. I’m so thankful we can renew online! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6480 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6480 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2023 :  7:31:01 PM  Show Profile
Jean I read all three of the books you listed as you recommended them to me. They were great I enjoyed them all, thank you for recommending them.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2023 :  7:52:19 PM  Show Profile
I am currently reading books about letter writing to get in the mood for LauraBell's awesome Lost Art of Letter Writing swap. Now I am remided of Nick Bantock's marvelous books, "Griffin and SSabine Trilogy". Has anyone else read these? They are fun works of art.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

. . . .jean pici
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2023 :  5:51:29 PM  Show Profile
Karen I never got the notice to renew. I had to get in one line to do the paperwork & pay to renew (Friday's 8am-3:15pm only). Then had to wait in another line to get my picture taken.

I didn't finish the Second Life of Mirielle West yet but since I was in the area, I picked up 2 more books. The Saints of Swallow Hill and The Lost Book of Names which was recommended by several farm sisters.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2023 :  06:40:03 AM  Show Profile
Just finished Stephen King's Fairytale. So good!

Sherone

Lean on me, when you're not strong, And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on, For it won't be long, 'Til I'm gonna need, Somebody to lean on.

Farmgirl Sister #93
FGOTM August 2021

Our Etsy Shops
http://www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.etsy.com

Our Thrive Life Store

http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.thrivelife.com

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2023 :  10:31:29 AM  Show Profile
I am currently reading a thriller, "When No One is Watching" by Alyssa Hawker. I'm only in a couple of chapters and so far am not too impressed. But it is the February selection for our book club, so I'll stick with it. When I'm done with it, I intend to read "Violetta" by Isabel Allende. She is one of my all-time favorite authors. I love everything she has ever written, especially "Daughter of Fortune" about the '49 Gold Rush.

. . . .Stephen Hawking

. . . .jean pici
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  5:03:00 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading Elizabeth Gouge's The Green Dolphin. I have read many of Gouge's books but this one might be my favorite. If you have never read anything by this British author, I highly recommend trying her out.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2023 :  11:26:40 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading a wonderful book that I think our Farmgirls would like. "Unravelling" by Peggy Orenstein is outstanding. Not only is it an entertaining yarn (pun intended) but she gives such interesting background of the history of each step in the process. It has really made me think a lot about where our myriad of consumer goods come from. It is newly released, but hopefully your library will be carrying it. It is definitely worth the time spent to read it.

Stay warm and well and keep us posted so we know whether or not to send the St. Bernards with the brandy casks.

. . . .Stephen Hawking

. . . .jean pici
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2698 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2698 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2023 :  09:28:48 AM  Show Profile
I just started reading Agatha Christie A very elusive women by Lucy Worsley. Love it so far.

hugs,
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

FGOTM August 2012

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2023 :  04:11:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm finally reading The Book of Lost Names. Read 9 chapters so far and I'm loving it. Went to the library book sale on Friday. Almost felt guilty for taking so many books then when I was paying the lady said come back tomorrow for $5 bag day. Fill your bag and pay only $5.
Finally got my library card :)

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2023 :  4:29:25 PM  Show Profile
I just finished a book on the life and presidency of Woodrow Wilson. It was a long read but so interesting. I knew very little about this important President during WWI. It was very interesting to learn about the divisions in America at that time which we still struggle with today. Plus, the impact of the war here at home was another area I knew little about. Currently, I am reading a wonderful book by Doris Kearns Goodwin on the leadership of Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt and Lyndon Johnson. So far it has been another great read and I am learning much about these four different but impactful Presidents.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2685 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2685 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2023 :  5:31:56 PM  Show Profile
What a great deal Andrea, I wonder if our local library has books sales, used to go all the time when the boys were small, but havne't been in years. I do love a good bargain on books! Really love to have a stack of unread books waiting for me. I love that feeling. I just finished reading the book: Before we were yours. Bitter sweet for sure, based on true life events of Ms. Tann and the Tennessee Childrens Home where children were stolen/taken and adopted out to well to do & high society families. I also recently finished: This I know. About a daughter of a preacher who had the knowing and her father thought it was the work of the devil. Both were good reads. I think my next read will be: The light we can not see. It's been waiting for me for over a year now. I do love to hear about the books you other farmgirls are reading, helps me get out of my reading rut. :-)

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1760 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1760 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2023 :  1:47:24 PM  Show Profile
Just finished the edge of belonging by Amanda Cox. Really good read. Highly recommend.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2023 :  06:18:29 AM  Show Profile
I have finished reading a couple of Bill Bryson's travel books. Very interesting and rather quirky to boot. For fiction I just finished reading Jacqueline Winspear's "The White Lady" and Carlene O'Connor's "Murder at an Irish Bakery". I also used several recipes for our Easter dinner from "Midwest Fresh: Modern Recipes from the Heartland" cookbook by Maren Ellingboe King. All of them are good reads and I'm impatiently waiting for Rhys Bowen's newest Molly Murphy mystery "All that is Hidden".

Keep reading and sharing!
Dawn in IL

"Spring: a reminder of how beautiful change can truly be."
— Unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room:  What's Everyone Reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page