Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5093 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5093 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2024 :  6:15:55 PM  Show Profile
Sara,I agree Homes are born, your home has an amazing history! my grandfather built homes all his life,My house I live in now wasn't he last one he built! It has the heart of My grandfather in the walls. I can't imagine living anywhere else as long as I'm on the earth!
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Apr 19 2024 6:16:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2024 :  05:10:52 AM  Show Profile
Connie, how wonderful to live in the home your grandfather built.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 - Feb 2019 - Oct 2023

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2024 :  1:51:24 PM  Show Profile
In our yard we are lucky enough to have so many birds. We use feeders, birdbaths, bee and butterfly watering stations, and hummingbird feeders. We are still learning what all of the birds are, but we have had house finches, black phoebes, mourning doves, and many others that we are trying to identify. My husband and I are going to start photographing them to help us with the job of identifying them little guys and gals that visit our backyard. We each have a pair of small binoculars that we use right now, so we are looking forward to using the cameras that we have. Can't wait to get some photos of our little darlings!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5093 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5093 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2024 :  2:42:20 PM  Show Profile
Sara,it means a lot to me, he passed away in 2005.
Nancy,you have a lot of wonder in your backyard! I love looking closer too with the binoculars!
Connie.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5093 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5093 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2024 :  2:44:32 PM  Show Profile
Winnie,it would be wonderful if you could share some of Warren's amazing
bird photos here!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2024 :  3:51:14 PM  Show Profile
Sara, that is such a wonderful story about the history of your home! It brings a piece of our national history along with it which makes it special. Such a real treasure.

Connie, I will try and bring a few of Warren's bird photos here soon. We love our birds!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2024 :  08:52:43 AM  Show Profile
I see the most wonderful things from my kitchen window. Just a little while ago I saw a family of blue jays at my bird bath. Adult male and female blue jays and two "teenagers". Right after the blue jays flew off a morning dove stopped by for a drink.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5093 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5093 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2024 :  11:04:51 AM  Show Profile
Me too sara! Right now lily June and I are watching a tufted titmouse feed her babies! She built her nest in one of my flower pots on the front porch so we can see her from the windows. She flies from azalea bush to bush till she reaches the one nearest the pot. We put a note on the pot for delivery folks and family. Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2024 :  11:15:21 AM  Show Profile
Connie that is so special and what a great way for Lily June to see nature up close and learn from you.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5093 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5093 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2024 :  11:35:20 AM  Show Profile
Sara,yes! We see her fly by and we stop whatever we are doing and watch very quietly from the windows.
We also had a female and male cardinal build a best on my wisteria on a arbour. Its so thick, perfect place for proctection.
We see them fly in and out.
We dont go under the arbor so as not to disturb them. They announce wgen they are near. The arbor is near lily Junes swing set, so they land on the top of it and fly into the arbour. The nest is in the left side near the middle. Its a joy to watch them.I grew up feeding and watching the birds with my next door neighbor. Hugs! Connie
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6951 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6951 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2024 :  1:28:38 PM  Show Profile
Connie, that is so neat you have birds nests so close to your house. The closest nest we have is in the cow shed. The birds like to hang out with the cows.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5093 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5093 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2024 :  6:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Krista! Love that they hang with the cows!Lol! We have kept our distance, watching only from the windows.we love watching the mama tufted titmouse feed her babies! Boy she works hard!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6951 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6951 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2024 :  3:24:30 PM  Show Profile
That is still pretty neat. I would love to have one close to the house sometime so I can show the kids. Watching them feed their babies is really cool.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2024 :  1:28:29 PM  Show Profile
Had three unexpected visitors in my back yard today, buzzards. I had just let Annie out when she ran to the far corner under the large oak tree and one buzzard on the ground flew off. I looked up and two more were on my neighbor's roof behind me. They didn't seem to be bothered by either Annie on the ground or me on the deck. They stayed around for a few minutes then flew off.

Later a bluejay enjoyed a drink and splash in the bird bath.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5093 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5093 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2024 :  2:10:42 PM  Show Profile
Sara,arent those buzzards big? We have something called Turkey Hawks, they are huge! We have a lot of Barn Owls, Ive had them swoop down after my cat and also sit on the fence post by my birdfeeders trying to catch dinner. If I see one by the feeders,I walk towards them and they will always fky away! Wow! Up close that wing span is big!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2024 :  05:27:36 AM  Show Profile
We have purposely put up a bird feeding station in our backyard with a variety of foods for all sorts of birds. We have so much enjoyment watching come daily to feed . it is also wonderful to see those friends who winter here in Florida and pay us a visit every year as well. The highlight so far this early Summer has been the bluebird families bringing the young ones to learn to eat the dried worms. So far , we have seen two different families come. Such a joy!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5093 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5093 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2024 :  11:13:15 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, thats so exciting you get to see the Bluebird families! We rarely see one here, when we do its just so amazing to see one! They are so beautiful!
Connie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Backyard Birds Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page