Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's are you working on - 2015?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's are you working on - 2015? Next Topic
Page: of 14

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  06:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie is actually involved in the kid swap here on MJF... the girl she is paired with enjoys cooking, so Katie is going to make her a half apron. I had debated her making a full apron, but I decided to start her a little easier ;)

I love the look of the heritage star quilt! I have only dabbled in quilting and am still trying to a handle on everything. I am fantastic about starting things and ....well..... pathetic at finishing things unless I have a deadline, and even then, I often times push past it a little!

Carole your chicken towels are absolutely adorable! Where do you order your towels from to do the embroidery on? I would love to try to make myself a set... though I would probably start one and never finish ;)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  5:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I spent much of this afternoon/evening working on my binder. I have the structure of it pretty much done. I need to beautify it though! I'll probably work on finishing it tomorrow. I STILL need to help Katie make her apron!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  8:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Shannon for your compliment on my hand stitched towels. I just love to hand embroider. I find it so relaxing. It's actually mindless and I need that sometimes! lol Enjoy helping Katie with her apron! Post pictures if you can of the apron and your binder. My binder is nothing fancy, no decorations just organized with tabs! lol

Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1191 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1191 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  07:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been my project in the evenings. I made 2 afghans for 2 of my granddaughters for Christmas, and my grandson requested one just with the same colors. Even though it has pink in it he informed me "real men like pink"! So I have been trying to finish it before it gets warm and I won't have it in my lap, it's getting closer.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1191 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1191 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  07:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to tell you Carole I love your towels. I have the same transfers and have done them a few times. They are one of my favorites too. I have been thinking I need to start some Christmas ones so I have them on hand. I ordered a copy of the Christmas transfers from the old, old Workbasket magazines and I am anxious to do a few of those. Love the vintage look. Off to prune grapevines and rake one of the strawberry patches, spring just might be here at last.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  3:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Julie! I have never heard of the Old, old workbasket magazine. Would love more info on that.

Your afghan is very nice! There's something about being kept warm by a loved one's creations that is so comforting! I like that your grandson does not have an issue with pink! lol That is so cute!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1191 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1191 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  3:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole it is the same workbasket mag that we are all familiar with, the transfers are from the early 50's issues so that where the old, old come in. The afghan is nothing fancy stitch wise, I just used a single crochet throughout. But knew it had to hold up to a little boys future tents, capes, pets etc.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  4:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, you got me! lol I have no clue what workbasket mags are. Are you referring to "Aunt Martha iron transfers" here is a link of an example: http://www.checkerdist.com/products/405CP

When I embroider towels, I get a pattern, photocopy it on a product called "transfer eze" a water soluble stabilizer used in the machine embroidery world. Stick it on my towel, stitch and wash it off! Voila! done! No tracing. I tend to stitch patterns from the Bird Brain Designer.

Carole

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1191 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1191 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  6:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I do that too Carole! I love transfer eze. I like Bird Brain Designs, I am working on a few from Buttermilk Basin right now and I love everything Crabapple Hill does. My local quilt store carries a lot of Crabapple Hill. You will laugh when I tell you how far away my quilt store is, 70 miles, but it is worth the drive. I do a lot of internet shopping for supplies, but sometimes I just need to pet fabric for therapy! :)! I will send you a workbasket magazine, I inherited a lot from my mother-in- law.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  7:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I so understand driving miles to pet fabric! Every where I go I look for a quilt shop. I am fortunate to be able to pet fabric all day! Love Crabapple Hill patterns and Buttermilk Basin. They both have beautiful stitcheries patterns. Working on a cotton & wool series from Buttermilk Basin. There are not enough hours in the day for me! I want to do everything, then I lose focus and nothing gets completed because I freeze up not knowing which way to throw myself! lol My quilting desires are also bigger than my time! lol Right now I'm staying focused! SQUIRREL! lol

Thank you in advance for sending me a workbasket magazine. I have never heard of them. Ok, back to working on a Kim Diehl quilt!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  5:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Presently have the luxury of sitting up in a hotel bed catching up on my blogging friends I came across this cute, free, wool ornament on Debbie's blog (http://woolnsails.blogspot.com).

For those working on the Homespun Christmas badge, they would be perfect. The pattern is free only during the month of April. Here is the link: http://www.attic-heirlooms.com/pdf/oom.april.pdf

Debbie is the Queen of finding free patterns on the internet. She is quite a talented person. If you check out her blog you will find lots of links to various projects.

Catch you later!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on May 13 2015 08:58:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  10:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I am getting inspired here to work on some WIP's and get them finished up. I love to hand stitch too. I have so many patterns. I love the old Workbasket magazines. I have a bunch someone was getting rid of on Freecycle a few years back. Haven't had a chance to look through them all yet.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  10:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WIP's? I'm confused! What are those???

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  12:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, some quilting jargon

WIPS - Work in progress
UFO - UnFinished Objects
PIGS - Project in Grocery Sacks

If you want to read up on more terms, you may check out a blog entry: http://carole-thejoyofquilting.blogspot.com/2012/03/lets-talk-quilting-language.html

Cheers!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  12:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, would love to see pictures of your WIPS! I do enjoy stitching up towels. You can never have too many! They also make nice gifts. I love chickens. Just ordered a new pattern from Moda, little chicks! Cannot wait to get it! Catch you later!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  9:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The project I decided to get finished up is a table runner I started a quite a few years ago. It's funny how you can start something smallish and then put it down and not realize how much time goes by. I have worked on it periodically over time but I really need to start somewhere on these projects so I am going to start with one of the small ones to get done first. It is hand stitching. Most of the projects I don't finish are, even though I really enjoy hand stitching. So I dug it out tonight and I will see how much I can do on it tomorrow. I am also doing some Spring cleaning so I will do stitching on my down time from that and the regular chores. Hopefully! I have quilts to work on and some crocheting but little by little I'll get it done.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  9:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a good night Denise, Enjoy your project.

hugs
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2015 :  07:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, sounds like a wonderful plan. UFOs are a fact of a quilter's life.

Having lost some dear friends and family members to disease, I made a decision that I would not work on anything that does not speak to me. So, if I started a quilt and it's not for me (whether I no longer like the style or my taste has changed) I pack it up with the pattern and give it to the Mission Center (an organization not far from me that donate to the less fortunate - many of its volunteers are seniors and do not have the income to purchase new fabrics etc - I did that with my xstitch - packed up the project with the pattern). I clean out my stash at least twice a year. I've been quilting for over 17 years, my taste in fabric has changed. I donate the fabric to an organization that make quilts for crisis centers. It makes me feel great that my fabric is being used to comfort someone. You cannot imagine how this type of cleaning gets the creative juices flowing again!

I have also come to the understanding the UFOs are byproducts of our creativity. We start a project and realize that ... naw! Sort of like cooking, you try out a new recipe and decide it's not a keeper!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your finished UFO!

Darlene, what are you working on?

Julie, how is that afghan coming along? Have you had a chance to sit and work on it?

Shannon, what are you up too? Did Katie finish her apron?

Sherry, have you been working on more quilts?

Keep well everyone! Cheers!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1191 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1191 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2015 :  12:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The afghan is still sitting by my chair Carole unfinished. My daughter brought down a pile of jeans of the girls that fit fine in the waist but are to short, so I have been cutting and hemming creating shorts and capris. No sense in having to buy them if we can alter a little bit. I too purge fabric occasionally Carole and donate it. I just sent a huge box into the church ladies, they do quilts for the less fortunate and homeless. This is a group of elderly ladies who get together once a week to sew, quilt and visit. Today I am sorting flannel, I think it is going to be donated for project Linus blankets. Back to cleaning, need to take advantage of my time in the house. Have a great weekend everyone.

Hugs
Julie

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  03:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie did indeed finish her apron. She also made a plastic canvas wall hanging, and an embroidered (just using the back stitch) horse head on felt that we turned into a bookmark for the swap. I was so proud of her! I will have to see if I can upload a picture of her wearing the Apron she made!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  3:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,
I have really enjoyed reading all that everyone is working on. Now that my house inspection has passed and is over with, I am getting back into the mode of wanting to work on something. I have a lot to get into and want to try, such as quilling with paper, calligraphy and zentangling. I loved that little pattern of the April Ornament of the month from the Attic Heirlooms. I printed it out so would like to try it later. I have some UFO's also that need to be finished, a couple of quilts and one unfinished one I found at a thrift shop that has dolphins on it. Your enthusiasm is getting to me as well. I am also reading too.
I just have to push myself to get on it.

hugs
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 03 2015 :  09:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of my UFP's get that way because I have become to busy to take any time to do them. They are pretty low on my list of priorities at times. I am still working on the table runner. Taking my time and keeping it out where I can see it so when I get a few minutes I pick it up and add a few stitches.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  09:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, have you had a chance to pick that afghan? I know how busy spring can be for you. I do hope you are taking the time to relax a bit.

I have decided to follow in Denise's foot steps and tackle some of my UFOs. Here is my pile!

I seem to have quite a few projects where the top is done - a flimsy, so they just need to be machine quilted and the binding stitched on. I decided that I need to tackle these so that my list of UFO doesn't look monstrous! I also find that when I finished some of my projects, I get a burst of creativity energy! What do I do with that creativity burst? I start a new project! lol

I did complete this little quilt. It measures 24" x 24" and uses two (2) mini charm pack, a yard of background and .25 yard for binding. I call this quilt Which way north?

The pattern is from Miss Rosie"s Quilt Company - Wit and the fabric line is Daysail by Bonnie & Camille. What I like about using mini charm squares (2.5") is that I get to play with a full line of fabric without a huge investment! I really like this little quilt!

So, what have you all been working on as of late? Love to look at pictures of your projects. Please, do share!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on May 13 2015 1:10:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1191 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1191 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  10:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carol I love that mini quilt. The Daysail line is a favorite of mine. Also loving the Feed Company line by Sweetwater right now. Finding it hard to cut into it. I don't have allot of extra time right now so maybe that is all right. I only have about a dozen rows left on the afghan. Than I have some cute hats waiting in the wings for my youngest grandsons birthday in October. So far his mom (my daughter) has picked out a puppy pattern and a sock monkey pattern I know his sisters are going to want them too so I am just going to ahead and make them all at the same time.

Hugs
Julie

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - May 31 2015 :  09:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Julie! I also love Daysail from Bonnie & Camille and Feed Company by Sweetwater (my next project). Presently working with a Daysail Jelly Roll and making the pattern Ring Toss by Cluck Cluck Sew!

I have never worked with a Jelly Roll and will say that I find it a tad challenging. Those pinking sheared edges are driving my OCD over the edge! LOL

Cheers!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on May 31 2015 09:54:38 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's are you working on - 2015? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page