hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  04:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We never really finished schooling... we just go lighter over the summer with only a few subjects. We will go all out again a couple weeks after Emi is born, or at least, that is the plan ;) As for our curriculum... we are extremely eclectic! We pull from here and there, depending on what works for us. When the kids are little (PreK4 and K), we use A.C.E. (Accelerated Christian Education) to teach them their letters and to read. After that, we use Mystery of History for history, Apologia for Science, Math U See for math, All About Spelling for spelling, and Shurley English for english. For reading, we use a modge podge... for the littles we use BFIAR/FIAR, the older ones go through various curriculum... such as American Girl and Prairie Primer. We have dabbled in Prepare and Pray, but it is such an intense unit study, that using it strictly for reading is difficult. For geography we use a collection of items, including My Father's World, Confession of a Homeschooler, and whatever else I find that I like the look of ;) I think those are the main subjects. My oldest is in 7th grade (gasp) so hers is a little different, and includes home ec. We try to do the majority of our schooling on Mondays through Thursdays so we can do our electives (horse riding, music, art, etc) on Fridays. It also gives us Fridays for the more hands-on projects, such as experiments in Science and bigger projects for geography.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  06:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joyce I just requested a catalog from Heart of Dakota, just to check it out. Shannon, I just looked up Prepare and Pray. That looks very interesting, and useful. I had no idea there was anything like that out there. I haven't been to a convention or anything. The thought completely overwhelms me.

The first year we did year round school with Wednesdays off, or used mainly for art. Last year we had a somewhat normal school year, but we took the month of December off. I think we'll probably do that again. Start first week in September, end... when we hit 180 days.. lol. That's the requirement for Indiana. Attendance records, and days equal to PS days. Yesterday I worked on our art schedule for the year. Doing something made me feel a little better. Today I'll probably work on weekly sheets for science. I'm desperately trying to be organized this year. It's the key to my success.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  06:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only plan about a month out, lol. Don't get me wrong - I have a lesson plan for the year... but as far as what exactly I want the kids to accomplish in any given day/week/month changes with how well they are grasping what we are doing. We too have to have 180 school days... but we always go well over that! The week of THanksgiving through New Years is always more "unit study" geared.

Prepare and Pray is fantastic but VERY IN DEPTH, depending on what you want to do with it. When it comes to unit studies, I have a habit of doing as much as I possibly can. I would LOVE to possibly get their normal school done before the summer, and then start Prepare and Pray as a summer project type thing... I also have their Blessed Assurance curriculum. Some of their suggested readings are definitely geared towards the older kids. Oh - but the original version of Swiss Family Robinson is phenomenal - NOTHING like the Disney version!!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

893 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
893 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2015 :  11:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this discussion!!! This is so neat to learn about all these other programs out there :) We don't have a day requirement - so I teach September 1 (or this case the 31st of Aug. since it starts on a Monday) to May 31st, we take off three weeks for Christmas, and two for Spring Break.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  3:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is interesting to hear your discussions on home schooling. My younger granddaughter who will be a sophomore in high school will have to be home schooled this year. This was not the plan, but after her transfer papers were lost by the district she wanted to enter, well there was no other choice. So we have been scrambling to find something. I asked some people I know and then my d-in-l began asking around. I think she found one. It has a different approach, in that she will take three history classes back to back, then three science, three language arts, and three math classes. The person who developed the program says kids test better when they focus on one subject rather than several. So grab has a new adventure.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  3:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TexasGran

It is interesting to hear your discussions on home schooling. My younger granddaughter who will be a sophomore in high school will have to be home schooled this year. This was not the plan, but after her transfer papers were lost by the district she wanted to enter, well there was no other choice. So we have been scrambling to find something. I asked some people I know and then my d-in-l began asking around. I think she found one. It has a different approach, in that she will take three history classes back to back, then three science, three language arts, and three math classes. The person who developed the program says kids test better when they focus on one subject rather than several. So gran has a new adventure.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

893 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
893 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  4:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - that is so neat! I like that idea. I hope your dil enjoys teaching/being with her. It's such a blessing to have the children home all the time!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  7:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well... Joyce her Hadlee's mom works. In fact she is switching jobs but in the same company. She has her own learning curve. I will be avaliable or I can take her to her mom's work if she feels she really needs her help. Hadlee's main concern is reading. She can read but that brain tumor robbed her of some of her comprehension skills. I will probably be reading and explaining and her mom will also. You just do whatever is necessary to get them through school.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

893 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
893 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  8:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be praying for both of you!!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

HunnysHen
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Jami
Texas
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  5:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there's also a program called Abeka.............love the options of teachers on dvd for tuff subjects...........IF available outside TX...............check 'em out :-)

w/ TEXAS SIZE Farmgirl HUGS !
Farmgirl Sister :
HunnysHen # 5876
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

893 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
893 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  9:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes!! we have used abeka before;)

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  3:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Christmas fabric, 10" square swap will be ending in a few days. If you enjoy fabrics you might like to check this out over in swaps on the main page. Linda has even come up with an easy quilt top using 10" squares.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  04:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good book or author? I'm more into the Christian historical fiction realm... for example I LOVE Janette Oke's Love Comes Softly series. Just trying to find something new to read!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

893 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
893 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  08:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH! My new FAV author (that's living, L.M. Montgomery is my favourite all-time author) is Linda Klassen - she has GREAT Christian Historical Fiction...often with a bit of mystery involved.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  06:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi girls! I'm back from my vacation! Well, I've been back for a few days, but frantically doing laundry, getting school stuff ready, looking after puppy and kids. So, now I'm back. I will be much more present from now on. No plans to go out of town any time soon. South Haven was a lot of fun. I'm very disappointed though that we didn't pick blueberries this year! I don't know what happened. It just didn't happen. There were a lot of great beach days though, and nights by the fire. It was really a good trip.

Joyce, I got the Heart of Dakota catalog and I was looking through it a couple days ago. It looks very similar to the programs that I've been looking into. The main difference from what I see is that their program uses something different every year with the same child. Tapestry of Grace and Biblioplan would be reused fourth year, which I really like. You get a lot of use out of 1 year program especially if you have multiple kids. The note booking pages for Heart of Dakota looked very nice.

Marilyn, I'll be praying for you and your grand daughter also. There's definitely an adjustment period, but I'm sure she'll do great!

I've never read Christian historical fiction, so I can't recommend anything from that genre. One book that I loved and think about often is Walking on Water by Madeleine L'Engle. It's basically about being a Christian artist, or creative mind. There were so many things that she said in that book though that I loved so much. It really was eye opening for me.

Right now I'm reading 1984 for a book club sort of thing. Very different genre... lol :) Interesting though. A lot of people read it in school, but I never did, so this is my first go around.

Anyway, I really missed you guys! I'm so happy to be back!! :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  06:58:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So for those who did not see... the old neighbor sent a certified letter yesterday, saying I vandalized her property!?!? And I can either pay her money or go to court. The stress caused Emi to spasm and my blood pressure to skyrocket. Doing much better now though!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  07:07:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Shannon, that's horrible! I'm glad you're doing better, but this neighbor! When will she go away??

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  07:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right!?!? We moved to get away from her and are currently paying both rent and a mortgage, and she STILL wants to mess with us :/

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  06:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As soon as I get back into the swing at home, my internet goes out for days! I don't know what the deal is, but it keeps going out, then we have a tech out to try to fix it, and it's always somewhere way down the line. Luckily my friend works for Frontier (our internet provider) so whenever it goes out, she kind of bumps me to the top, to get it fixed quicker. Everything appears to be fine now. Fingers crossed.

We're starting school this morning, and I have some resistance from the oldest, so wish me luck! :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

893 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
893 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  07:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish you an amazing year, Erin!! I hope that everything goes really well today :)

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  09:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi girls! It's such a rainy day here in Indiana. We finished up with school for the day, and I'm about to make lunch but I thought I'd pop in and say hi! I'm looking forward to tidying up my house this afternoon. We have wine night tonight, and we're starting a new kit... not sure what. There's an orchard that started their u-pick apples today that's pretty close to my house. Tomorrow it's not supposed to rain, so we might head over there to pick some apples for sauce. Yesterday I went over to my husband's stepdad's house to pick his concord grapes. I made grape jam last night. That's all the canning I've done so far. If we get some apples tomorrow I'll make some applesauce. The smell of fresh applesauce or apple butter cooking in your house is fall like nothing else! What have the rest of you been up to lately?

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

893 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
893 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  10:16:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi to you to, Erin - and others :) It's been a super busy week here - beautiful sunshiney weather here. I hope to apples sometime next weekend, if our apples are ready from our tree. I've spent the morning cleaning the house with the kids. We're going to do a 4-day week schedule for school and spend Friday's doing extra curricular activities and cleaning. The boys are excited to start gymnastics this afternoon. I'm starting to teach on Monday - I have a super full day of teaching so hubby is helping out with teaching the kids. Good to hear from you, Erin!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2015 :  5:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello friends, it is still hot here in Texas, in the 90s daily. Hadlee finished her first of twelve subjects, history, which I enjoyed with her. I felt like she learned a lot. Next we started science, the metric system and now chemistry. We were doing great until we got to our first experiment. I never dreamed it would be next to impossible to find the supplies we need in our town. So her mom will order them and we will begin the government while we wait. My husband had back surgery on Sept. 3rd.It has been a long very difficult three weeks. He saw the surgeon on Friday to get the staples removed, all 26 of them, from three incisions. The doctor told him that ten years ago he would have been hospitalized two months or longer, not two days. He changed his pain meds and prescribed a sleep aid, which the pharmacy did not have. Hopefully Monday! He needs to sleep but I also need to sleep. My little pre school job is more than I expected. It will be ok. And hopefully I will be sane. It is not the kids, but the other adults that are testing my sanity. Hadlee returns to Cooks Children's Hospital for a check up next week. I have been working on some child sized Christmas quilts for her to donate. She helped with fabric selection, etc. So as this month draws to a close I am looking forward to sleep, healing for my husband, a good report for Hadlee,good college grades for Baylee, peace, cooler temps, and more of God's blessings.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2015 :  6:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TexasGran

Hello friends, it is still hot here in Texas, in the 90s daily. Hadlee finished her first of twelve subjects, history, which I enjoyed with her. I felt like she learned a lot. Next we started science, the metric system and now chemistry. We were doing great until we got to our first experiment. I never dreamed it would be next to impossible to find the supplies we need in our town. So her mom will order them and we will begin the government while we wait. My husband had back surgery on Sept. 3rd.It has been a long very difficult three weeks. He saw the surgeon on Friday to get the staples removed, all 26 of them, from three openings/cuts. The doctor told him that ten years ago he would have been hospitalized two months or longer, not two days. He changed his pain meds and prescribed a sleep aid, which the pharmacy did not have. Hopefully Monday! He needs to sleep but I also need to sleep. My little pre school job is more than I expected. It will be ok. And hopefully I will be sane. It is not the kids, but the other adults that are testing my sanity. Hadlee returns to Cooks Children's Hospital for a check up next week. I have been working on some child sized Christmas quilts for her to donate. She helped with fabric selection, etc. So as this month draws to a close I am looking forward to sleep, healing for my husband, a good report for Hadlee,good college grades for Baylee, peace, cooler temps, and more of God's blessings.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2015 :  05:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I will keep your husband in my prayers. And you as well! I hope both of you are getting more sleep!

It's my husband's birthday today. He turns 41. We had a nice brunch with his grandparents and my dad. I've been working on some projects I've been meaning to get done lately. 2 quilts, one for each of my boys. We decorated the house for Halloween, so the kids loved that. They also made decorations to hang in their bedroom. Our church is having a rummage sale in a couple weeks so I'm getting some things together for that. I love purging the house of unwanted junk! What's going on with the rest of you lately?

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 36 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Just Talking Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page