Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Book Discussions
 The Feast Nearby - Let's Discuss!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Book Discussions: Previous Topic The Feast Nearby - Let's Discuss! Next Topic  

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  04:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our next book will be "The Feast Nearby." We'll give ourselves plenty of time before the discussion, since it's such a busy time of year for everyone. We'll start discussing in early September sometime, using the same discussion questions. I'll repost them later. Hope this sounds okay to everyone. Here's the write up from Amazon to get us going.

The Feast Nearby: How I lost my job, buried a marriage, and found my way by keeping chickens, foraging, preserving, bartering, and eating locally (all on $40 a week) by Robin Mather

New copy from Amazon is $18.46
27 Used from $5.89
33 New from $12.71

Within a single week in 2009, food journalist Robin Mather found herself on the threshold of a divorce and laid off from her job at the Chicago Tribune. Forced into a radical life change, she returned to her native rural Michigan.

There she learned to live on a limited budget while remaining true to her culinary principles of eating well and as locally as possible. In The Feast Nearby, Mather chronicles her year-long project: preparing and consuming three home-cooked, totally seasonal, and local meals a day--all on forty dollars a week.

With insight and humor, Mather explores the confusion and needful compromises in eating locally. She examines why local often trumps organic, and wonders why the USDA recommends white bread, powdered milk, and instant orange drinks as part of its “low-cost” food budget program.

Through local eating, Mather forges connections with the farmers, vendors, and growers who provide her with sustenance. She becomes more closely attuned to the nuances of each season, inhabiting her little corner of the world more fully, and building a life richer than she imagined it could be.

The Feast Nearby celebrates small pleasures: home-roasted coffee, a pantry stocked with home-canned green beans and homemade preserves, and the contented clucking of laying hens in the backyard. Mather also draws on her rich culinary knowledge to present nearly one hundred seasonal recipes that are inspiring, enticing, and economical--cooking goals that don’t always overlap--such as Pickled Asparagus with Lemon, Tarragon, and Garlic; Cider-Braised Pork Loin with Apples and Onions; and Cardamom-Coffee Toffee Bars.

Mather’s poignant, reflective narrative shares encouraging advice for aspiring locavores everywhere, and combines the virtues of kitchen thrift with the pleasures of cooking--and eating--well.

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Edited by - Song Sparrow on Sep 15 2015 04:17:54 AM

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  4:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to order my book tonight. Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  07:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AsI re-read this book, I forgot how much I enjoyed it! Is anyone else enjoying it as much as I am???

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  5:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're so on top if things! I haven't even gotten mine yet! :)

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  5:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is my first time reading it. I actually bought it a while back, as I found it interesting. So far I have not been disappointed. Love the essay type. I am enjoying her writing style.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  08:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got my book on my Kindle! Ok, now I really have to get off this chat and do some work! :)

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  05:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about if we start our discussion for "The Feast Nearby" in about mid-September? Hopefully that will give us all time to get and read the book. Everyone has so much going on right now. Does that sound good?

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  12:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good Amy! I'm about half way through. Haven't picked it up for a while but ...... it is on my "to do" list today!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2015 :  4:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds great Amy, I will be looking forward to it. Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  03:33:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Started the book yesterday and really like it!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Lexi Lavender
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Lexi
Bangor Maine
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2015 :  08:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm about 4 chapters in and really enjoying the writing style. I hope to post with you gals more but my Internet connection has been troublesome. I hope everyone is enjoying fall.

Lavender Lexi
Farmgirl #4034

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them." — Eeyore.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  03:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished this book last night and thought a new list of discussion questions would be appropriate. Some are the same as last time, but some new ones are a little more pertinent to this particular book, I think. Think them over, and we'll start the discussion in a couple of weeks. As before, even though some of them are yes or no questions, it would be nice if you can explain why you feel the way you do for each question:

1. What part of this book inspired you in some way?

2. Will you read other books by this author?

3. If you could ask the author one question, what would you ask?

4. What did you think of the style of writing and/or the structure of the book?

5. What surprised you most about the book?

6. Did your opinion of the book change as you read it?

7. Which one of the issues raised in this book affects your life the most? How so—directly,on a daily basis, or more generally? Now or sometime in the future?

8. What have you learned after reading this book?

9. How did this book change your views on the subject matter it presented? Are your opinions different now than they were before reading the book?

10. Open question -- What do you want to say about this book? Anything goes!!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2015 :  04:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I get the discussion started.

1. I found this book very inspiring for a couple of reasons. First, it inspired me to work harder at local food sourcing. In our area, many farms are sold out to land developers because the family farmers can't make it. So following her lead on local sourcing is very appealing. Second, I love her frugal ways with the food budget!

2. Yes, absolutely. She's not what I would call an "entertaining" author, but she's smart and know her stuff.

3. I'd ask her what, if anything, she misses most about her old life. I'm just curious!

4. It took meanwhile to get into the groove with her writing style. I'd say it's very informational but it was hard to make an emotional connection. I loved the seasonal essay structure.

5. What surprised me most was how much I enjoyed it! As I said,i t took me awhile to get used to her style, but once I did I couldn't put it down. I think she's very authentic, and I love that.

6. Absolutely! See question 5 :)

7. Definitely the plight of local businesses in general, farms and otherwise. I've always been kind of adverse to big box stores and chains, but this book really pushed me toward working harder to support my neighbors.

8. I learned a lot about food preservation for the single person or small family. It makes more sense than I thought.

9. This book didn't change my views, but it broadened and affirmed my opinion on local sourcing. It really made me think about the difference between doing what's cheap and easy, and doing what right. You could say it pricked my conscience!

10. I really loved this book. It wasn't the most entertaining read, but it was informative and straight from her heart. I'm so glad I read i it!

I'm looking forward to everyone's discussions!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  1:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) I really enjoyed the book. I thought it was a quick read especially if you read the recipes after you read the book which I did not. I chose to read during.What inspired me was the same thing that inspired me with the last book. Her fearlessness towards trying something new and not just some little thing but a whole new lifestyle.
2) yes I would read something else by her because it would probably have to do with frugality. Or natural lifestyle.
3)I would ask her was it easy to go from the fast pace to the simple pace. Was it in her blood?
4)I actually liked the style. Though I could tell she was extremely intelligent, I felt like her gift was not in her writing ability.
5)I have to agree with Amy, what surprised me the most is that I really really enjoyed it. My preconceived notion of the book was that it would not be relevant to me.
6)Yes I did not see how a food expert/critic was going to be able to write a frugal book.
7) I actually have started trying to investigate the local meat processing centers. Trying to see what we have in my area, or at least a day trip. We eat little meat for two reasons 1 the price and 2 we want to eat organic only which increases the price.
8) I learned that it is okay to splurge on somethings. For example like the meat, splurge on the things you don't want to give up or at least splurge and enjoy on occasion.
9)I would say my opinions are a little different. Definitely did not change my views because I was already pretty much along her mindset. My opinion difference would go back to question 8.
10) I would love to meet her. I would imagine she is strong willed. I would think highly opinionated. Unlike our last author who I imagined was laid back (which I have since met and she is) I would imagine this author the exact opposite! I am very happy to have read the book and appreciate the opportunity to have read it. Would have never read it on my own. Thanks farmgirl friends!

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  04:12:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your great discussion, Maryellen! As usual, different people bring out different ideas, which is what makes book clubs so special. I was really grabbed by a couple of your comments. First, the splurge idea. I totally missed how important that was to her story and success, and to me as a cook. Being raised by an Italian mother, there are some Italian ingredients I could never give up, like Locatelli cheese. Your comment about probably never having read this book if not for our hen house really applied to me as well, but I didn't have the insight like you did. Thank you so much!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  09:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank Amy for posting the questions! I enjoyed reading what you and Maryellen had to say. I will confess, I am still half way through the book. I plan on finishing it this weekend. I am enjoying it and I do like her essay format. Looking forward to posting my thoughts on the book soon! Cheers!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2015 :  12:51:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a bumpity bump -- anyone else finished the book yet? :)

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Lexi Lavender
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Lexi
Bangor Maine
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  5:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I did finish the book, I just haven't been online. I liked the essay format. It seemed a little stiff until I got used to it but by the end really liked the way it flowed. I loved the recipes at the chapter end and have made one so far (pork and apples in crock pot - adaptation). As with any of these books it makes me want to live a more authentic life. My goal right now has been to save as many seeds as I can and put up the last of the vegetables etc that are around.

Lavender Lexi
Farmgirl #4034

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  04:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lexi! I know what you mean about needing to get used to her style, it took me awhile, too. It's brilliant that you used the word "authentic." I guess that should be the goal for all of us, to be authentic. I think that word describes it perfectly. Thanks again!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Lexi Lavender
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Lexi
Bangor Maine
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  07:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, the other thing that I'm reminded of today is her talking about people being rigidly attached to rules of a certain lifestyle. Since I tend that way I appreciated the reminder that we all need to cut ourselves (and everyone else) some slack sometimes. I have also been very aware of the Sumac trees (which ilove) but which are definitely all red now. Early harbinger of winter indeed.

Lavender Lexi
Farmgirl #4034

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2015 :  07:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're going to be starting another book, but please come on in with your discussion of "The Feast Nearby" if you want to as you finish it!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2015 :  7:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished the book a few days ago! I loved it!

1. What part of this book inspired you in some way?

The book inspired me to get back to my writing. It also encourage me to look at the possibility of canning again (something I used to do when I lived in Montreal. We had access to farmer's markets, somehow, here in small town America, there are no farmer's markets where I can by lots of vegetables or fruits to can)

2. Will you read other books by this author?

Yes I would. I found her to be informative.

3. If you could ask the author one question, what would you ask?

Can we do lunch? This way I would be able to ask lots of questions! lol

4. What did you think of the style of writing and/or the structure of the book?

Loved her style of writing short essays interspersed with recipes and pertinent information. I like that she included the recipes after the essay.

5. What surprised you most about the book?

That she could actually find locally many of the foods she enjoyed. I wouldn't say that her palate is that of a typical person. Also, that she ate on $40.00 a week. Of course she had friends bring her vegetables to can etc.... I liked that she bartered

6. Did your opinion of the book change as you read it?

I actually had no expectations. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find recipes after an essay. I liked that. You could make reference to the dish she wrote about.

7. Which one of the issues raised in this book affects your life the most? How so—directly,on a daily basis, or more generally? Now or sometime in the future?

The issue of self reliance. I was just talking with my DH about that. I would like to be more self reliant.

8. What have you learned after reading this book?

That there are numerous ways to dehydrate fruits and vegetables. I would not have thought to do carrots and use them for stews. She does offer lots of information.

9. How did this book change your views on the subject matter it presented? Are your opinions different now than they were before reading the book?

Given my food bill, I was curious to see how she ate on $40.00 a week. I see that it can be done. As I mentioned, she did have access to lots of produce from friendly gardeners. I think that makes it more attainable. I would have to expand my garden in order to be able to can supplies for the coming seasons.

10. Open question -- What do you want to say about this book? Anything goes!!

I think it's a great book, very informative. It's not just a story but tips on various aspects of become more self reliant.

Carole

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  03:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, you really hit on some insightful ideas! I think the $40 per week food budget really highlights the waste in typical American food budgets. Her ideas left nothing to waste, giving us all a lot to consider, no matter how frugal we consider ourselves. Thanks for bringing that to the forefront, because I was so focused on the local aspect I sort of lost the importance of that part. Doing lunch with her sounds great -- especially if she cooks! Thanks for your discussion!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page
  Book Discussions: Previous Topic The Feast Nearby - Let's Discuss! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page