Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  05:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished a book called "The Witness Wore Red" by Rebecca Musser. She was a member of an extreme religious group and after she left, she participated in some criminal investigations of the group. Some of you may remember this in the news, the group was led by a man named Warren Jeffs. Very interesting book, if a little salacious for my tastes!

What's everyone else reading?

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9301 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9301 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  07:53:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm reading a book called Seaside Harmony. It is the first of 3 books and about 3 sisters that go to Nantucket to a resort they visited as children. They want to purchase an inn there to carry on a dream their mom had before she passed.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  12:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am reading a book that is called The Pig who sang to the moon, It covers the emotional world of farm animals, It is an eye opener in a lot of ways and some things I skip over but really a pretty good book, The pig who sings to the moon lives in Australia and it hasn't really covered that part yet but it does go in to pigs feelings alot and chickens too.

Not bad.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  1:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those sound really interesting.i am reading a book about Nancy Zieman, owner of Nancy's Notions in Wisconsin. She got Bells Palsey when she was little and as a result her face droops on one side. She tells about the challenges she has had as a business woman because of it. She's a farmgirl too. Th book is called "seams Unlikely.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  8:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I have heard of Nancy Zieman's Nancy's notions, I didn't know she was a farmgirl.
I will have to look that book up.

Thanks

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  04:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love hearing about books! I want to read them all!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9301 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9301 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  05:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nancy Zieman also has a sewing show. I love to watch when I can catch it on. She makes everything look so easy.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  08:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I have watched her before, she is good!

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  09:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too Amy! I've started a collection of future books to read! Running out of room on my book shelves! lol

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2015 :  04:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered the Nancy Zieman book from Amazon, since they didn't have it at my library. I have a musician friend who suffers from Bell's Palsy. It is very tough when you're in the public eye.

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Lexi Lavender
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Lexi
Bangor Maine
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  07:27:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy I wanted to tell you that I met Flora Jessup, not sure if she is mentioned in the book but she was active in Phoenix when I lived there helping rescue families and individuals from the cult. When my grandmother died, I cleaned out her house and I already had my own house so ended up with 2 of a lot of things. I donated it all to a family with 6 children. They escaped in the middle of the night with a paper shopping bag each - they left most everything behind. Warren Jeffs and cronies were very evil men. I'm glad light was shed on the poor followers plight.

Lavender Lexi
Farmgirl #4034

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them." — Eeyore.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  10:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've met Nancy at Quilt Market. She is such a wonderful person, so giving. She designs a lot of sewing notions for Clover.

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2015 :  03:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lexi, I think she was mentioned in the book. Jeff's was truly horrible and really took advantage in people who were sincere in their faith. Some of the stuff in that book was hard to read.

I just finished a rather strange book called "Mermaids In Paradise." It was kind of a bizarre modern morality tale. I wasn't sure about it at first, but in the end, I'm glad I read it, it was very unusual!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2015 :  06:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished a book last night that I just had to share with you all! It's the first book in a long time that made me stay up all night to finish it, and the first book that made me cry in an even longer time. The book is "Love Saves The Day" by Gwen Cooper. I thought it was going to be kind of a sweet amusing book about a cat (about half of it is told from the cat's point of view, which is very well done and funny, if you know cats!), but it was much more than that. It's about mothers and daughters, different kinds of families, and most importantly as the title says, the saving power of love. It's set in New York City, which I'm very familiar with since my brother lives there, but the heart of the story is universal. I just loved it!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2015 :  07:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I finished the Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone. I decided that I would read the British edition (I've read the American editions). There really is a difference in their dialogue!

I'm reading about 5 different books at the moment. Of course, not all together! lol I like a variety of genre (psychology, business, fiction, autobiography). I pick up the one that fits my mood! lol

Carole

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2015 :  1:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, I Gotta read "Love Saves the Day!" I just finished the "Denim Blue Sea". Joann Demaio lives in New. England and most of her books are set in Small Ocean towns. I read all 5 of her books this Summer. Since I did not get to see the Ocean this year! She has written 2 about Christmas. One has not been released yet.

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....33392
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  6:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read a book recently that I have been thinking about a lot. A true story of a Mennonite girl whose father moves the family to southern minnesota when she is 16. She is in charge of more and more cattle. Her father is very unkind and abusive and she eventually moves away from the farm at 29. She gets a nurse-anethetist masters and marries and has a daughter. The book is called "If You Leave This Farm" by Amanda Farmer. There is also a sequel which I am ordering. She is a very courageous and religious but the book gave me a lot to think about.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  04:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That really sounds interesting, Bonnie. I'm going to look for it at our library. We have a sizable Mennonite population here in Delaware, but I've never read anything about them. Thanks!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Lexi Lavender
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Lexi
Bangor Maine
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  07:53:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie that sounds interesting. I'm going to look for it as well.

Lavender Lexi
Farmgirl #4034

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them." — Eeyore.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9301 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9301 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  10:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished the Nantucket Dreams series. Really good books. Now I am reading "The Magic of Tidying Up" Also reading a book by Jan Karon "Someplace Safe with Somebody Good."

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2015 :  04:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I read the Jan Karon book as soon as I could get it from the library. I love the Mitford books, I've read them all except the Christmas one which I'm sAving for my Christmas book this year. Aren't they wonderful?

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2015 :  6:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, tell me is the title of your book the life changing magic of tidying up by Marie Kondo? If it is I just finished about a week ago. While I have been farmgirl absent for most of September I was in Florida and was looking for a quick read while in a book store and picked up this. Wow how amazing! I had never heard of it nor was I looking for something like it. I have to tell you though I have folded all of my clothes in my drawers like the book said and I love it. When I read it in the book I thought well this is about crazy, what a wrinkled mess they'll be and to prove her wrong I tried. Well she taugh this old dog a new trick. While everything in the book wasn't useful it was worth the read for the ideas and tips I gleaned from it. And of course to reiterate to me that I need much less stuff in my life. Great, quick read. I just finished an Amish book I wouldn't recommend (love most all Amish books). Just started yesterday Have a little faith by Mitch Albom. Thanks for allowing me to share. If anyone wants my copy of the life changing magic of tidying up I would be happy to mail it to you. Thanks, Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page
  Book Discussions: Previous Topic What Are You Reading? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page