Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2017 :  2:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This afternoon, I cooked up two huge batches of my apples into homemade chunky applesauce. I like to keep the skins, on as they keep the nutrition, and just mash with a potato masher for a more rustic sauce. Some of the applesauce in the bowl will also be put up in the freezer. I have never frozen apples but I hear that it works just fine so I am going to try a few and see how I like the results. These apples made up into a delicious applesauce today and I am loving it.

I also had another idea to try. I am going to add some of my homemade apple pie spice to a small jar of the applesauce and make a refrigerator apple butter . Originally I thought about making apple butter but decided on apple sauce as it might have more uses . I think it would work fine in applesauce cake where the recipe calls for applesauce, don't you think? Plus, this sauce is so thick that it would work pretty nice as a base for apple cobbler. If you just added one large regular apple chopped with the apple sauce, I think it would work pretty well . Then all you need to add is the topping and bake. These are just a few of the ideas I plan to play around with and see what happens.

I still have a large bowl of apples on my table that we can eat too. Apples, apples, love those fresh orchard apples!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2017 :  5:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that looks yummy Winnie.
Have a good week.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2017 :  6:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, That sure does look yummy! My neighbor canned apple pie filling last year, so I'm going to give it a go this season :)! She uses it alot in baking.
Sorry I missed you, you were in my neighborhood when you were at Merciers Orchard! That started out as just a little road side stand, when the senior Merciers ran it. I sure do miss them, they were such awesome people. Adele worked up until about two weeks before she passed away, she was in her 90s, quite the lady!!! - WOW has it ever blossomed into a mega business!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2017 :  6:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We made crock pot apple sauce at school last fall, it turned out pretty good but the teacher added sugar so the kids would try it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2017 :  8:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, yummy!! makes me long for Fall!! They should freeze just fine!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2017 :  8:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
OOh - what is recipe for crock pot applesauce Marilyn? Sounds yummy and easy.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  06:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, looks delish! I'm surprised you already have apples. Here, they are not out as of yet!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  06:30:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, these apples are two of the early varieties that are available in north Georgia, where I visited last week.. Apples do not grow here in Florida so I have to go about 9 hours north to get to apple country here in the South.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2017 :  07:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find to hold on to my peace it helps to do something I enjoy everyday so I can. Early mornings in my Yellow Rose Cottage is peaceful and time passes with my canning and Annie passing through to check on me.

Over the last week I have put up split pea soup, chow-chow, and pickled mix veggies. Mix veggies I had on hand: cauliflower, bok choy, red bell pepper, red onions, garlic, and jalapeno peppers.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2017 :  10:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I don't want to tell you the teachers recipe because she wrote it down with six teaspoons of cinnamon for five apples. I watched them put ing. In the crock pot but she let every kid put in a bit of what ever.I know they did not use any where close to 6 teaspoons of cinnamon though.
My friend is on a trip and will come home this next week. She makes crock pot applesauce a lot. I will ask her. Then I will give you her recipe.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2017 :  6:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, happy to read that you are peaceful in your cottage!

Farmgirl Hug,

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2017 :  6:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, that all sounds good, glad you are having a peaceful time.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2017 :  10:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, you have been a busy bee. That all sounds delicilous!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2017 :  06:25:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara - so happy see you on here and hear of your canning adventures. The last few days have been a blur as we have been sick, but hubby managed to make a gallon of yogurt yesterday. Yum!!!

While it wasn't in my kitchen, lol, redid manage to get 40-50 chickens butchered on Saturday. We have 18 to do today. And thence will redone for another month or so. I also have 40 pounds of cucumbers waiting to be pickled and canned!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2017 :  07:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may just be the motivation I need to get into cheese making. Anyone know where I can get some Unicorn milk? Shannon? You're such a resource farmgirl perhaps you would know!

Blog entry by Peter Corrigan on A Better Whey blog (cheesemaking.com) - https://tinyurl.com/ycd82pcn

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Aug 07 2017 2:50:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2017 :  11:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got you covered Carole.... either buy a unicorn in milk (surely if you can milk a donkey, you can milk a unicorn!)... or just follow his instructions ;)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  05:26:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unicorn cheese - gotta think on that one. lol

Canning this morning 4 pints dried pinto beans for my sister Bobbie. Beans cooking so hopefully I will be finished before it gets too hot - at 7a.m. it was already 84 in Yellow Rose Cottage so I came in for a cool quick break. Hi humidity so it's a steamy morning.

Yesterday I bought 2 pork roast to can - buy one get one for a penny sale and one Angus beef roast in marked down bin for half price. Will can them without seasonings so I can use them in different recipes.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  05:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, the village wouldn't let me keep chickens, not sure how they would feel about a Unicorn! LOL

Sara, you've been a busy bee!

I cannot say the same for me. I haven't been in the kitchen for weeks. I've been eating a lot of salads ... so easy ... I don't even have to grow it ... Olivia's organic salad mix ... just add whatever else suits you and Voila! I have a meal! When I get tired of salad, pull out some cheese and cracker ...

Carole

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  06:13:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, my way of thinking cheese and crackers are a food group all by their selves - add a glass of Merlot and you have a complete meal.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  06:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, all feels right with the world to me when I hear you are busy in the Yellow Rose Cottage and sharing it here with us! For those of us in the South, it has been such a long steamy Summer!! You and Annie must have to get busy by 5am to get ahead of the descent of each day's awful humidity!

Unicorn cheese is totally new to me. It looks beautiful in the round. At first glance I thought it was some sort of birthday confetti cake. Is the taste of the cheese mild or strong? I have never seen it here where I live.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  07:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I started at six this morning and it was still - no breeze - which is unusual for my part of Texas - wind always blows here - so the humidity was oppression. About an hour ago a strong breeze blew through so it feels cooler now than when I got. As long as there is a cool breeze the cottage is comfortable. Lately when the wind blows it has a touch of fall in it. I really like that. I've heard several people comment on how they feel fall in the air when the wind blows out of the northwest. Not our ordinary August weather. Hot and steamy yes but not a hint of fall in the wind.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  07:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yesterday was a super busy day in the kitchen for me! I made 15 meals to put in my freezer for when Jenni comes. I also got some chèvre made, but I'm not crazy about how it turned out! Today I'm hoping to get another two meals in the freezer, 40 pounds of pickling cucumbers pickled and canned, and the broth from yesterday's cooking, canned. Hoping to make mozzarella as well, but we will see.
Sara - glad you are enjoying your cottage <3

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  07:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Shannon, I do find peace there. Just took the pressure canner off the hotplate so when the pressure comes down and the jars are out I am finished canning for today. Looking forward to staying in with the A/C.

Will cook Angus roast later today to can in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  07:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, cheese, cracker and wine .... now that's a lovely dinner! Oh, a shiraz with a good smoked Gouda, divine!

Winnie, the mildness of the Unicorn cheese will depend on the Unicorn diet! I'm still looking for a unicorn! lol Actually, the maker of the cheese pictured above actually used natural dies to colour the Stirred-Curd Cheddar and pressed to form. His daughter is the one that called it Unicorn cheese! lol It does look like a confetti cake! lol

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Aug 11 2017 07:59:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2017 :  09:29:31 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So glad to hear you are in your cottage again. I LOVED your cottage when we were there - so warm and welcoming, just as you were.

Unicorn milk - hmmm - that's a good one.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page