levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9205 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - May 18 2018 :  04:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love honeysuckle! Sara, we used to do that to when we were kids. It perfumed the whole place here when it blooms. We have a little started but it will be in full in June.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - May 18 2018 :  09:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, Denise, we did that too. I taught Holly and our neighborhood kids how to taste the Nectar. My cousin Sara said, Yesterday, she rolled down her window on her way home from where she works and just inhaled the Honeysuckle for about 15 miles down her country road!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 18 2018 :  09:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hung the hummingbird feeders up again yesterday. I had taken them down because ants found them and contaminated the nectar. To keep the ants away I put red pepper flakes on top of the feeders. Ants don't like hot peppers or pepper sauce. This morning I was watching the feeders when two little birds showed up. Bigger than hummingbirds but smaller than wrens. Don't know what they are but they ate the red pepper flakes. I know mockingbirds will eat small hot peppers growing in the garden. Never get bored watching nature in action.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - May 20 2018 :  2:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was soooooooooo hot and humid today! A pop up thunderstorm left my raised bed covered in hail! the wind got scary. No Damage. blew over all my lawn furniture and the Boston ferns off their stands!

We were Blessed! It was not any worse. We didn't lose power. it flickered for about 5 minutes!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 21 2018 :  05:26:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie pop-up thunderstorms can be scary because they come out of nowhere with no warning. Glad you are okay.

It threatened rain yesterday but it didn't happen - just high humidity but it did cool down a little so it wasn't too bad.

Checked on plants this morning and most are doing great - a couple of my herbs are slow to grow. May need to find another place for them. One thing I like about growing in containers I can move them around until the plant finds the place they like.

The New Wine hydrangea is doing good in the spot I put it. The blooms are fading so I will let them dry a little than finish drying in doors. Dried hydrangeas are beautiful. Need to read up on how to take cuttings and when. Don't know if you root in water or soil - so much to learn about them.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9205 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - May 21 2018 :  05:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Connie I'm glad your weather was no worse. Usually hail means a tornado somewhere, so I've heard.

Sara, glad your hydrangea likes its spot. I have put my hummingbird feeders up yet. They usually show up around now when the azaleas are in bloom.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - May 21 2018 :  3:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Denise ya'll it was scary!
Sara, I like containers too for the same reason!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 21 2018 :  4:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another good thing about container gardening is each plant gets the water they require.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 23 2018 :  09:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking into having raised beds built on east side of house in front of Yellow Rose Cottage. As the trees grow around me sunny places are harder to find. The raised beds would also give me a chance to grow a few vegetables along with herbs and flowers. There's a handyman who could do it for me.

I measured the area I am thinking about - 12' W - 21' L

How much room do I need for walkway between the beds?

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - May 26 2018 :  07:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cleaned out my strawberry bed yesterday. It was gorgeous out! I have this pesky invasive vine weed with a small purple flower called Creeping Charlie. It was making an attempt to take over my strawberry patch. It's cute, but not in my garden. This is what it looks like.

We have raised bed. However, if I were to do it (it wasn't my plan) I would have them so that they can be accessed from either side. The one that is on my lot is much too wide and you need to walk in the middle of the bean (it's shaped like a bean) to harvest. Not a good thing. I'll take a picture when I get home and show you.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on May 26 2018 07:14:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 26 2018 :  07:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I do raised beds they will be accessible from both sides. Also high enough I won't have to bend too low. Planning for my 80s.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 27 2018 :  12:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sara - I have also thought about raised beds. I would think around 2-3 feet between them. I already don't like to bend very much. There are a lot of raised bed ideas on Pinterest - some circular with a cut-in to get to the middle.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 28 2018 :  07:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One idea I have for raised beds is to use galvanized steel water toughs sat on cement blocks. Will get the height I want without having to fill it all with soil. Just one foot. W 4" X L 8" X H 1" Price wise I may have to go to 6" long. Gotta have money to fill with good soil. Been checking on prices and will wait for a sale at Tractor Supply or Atwoods Farm & Ranch Store.

Another thought is to get raised bed set up over the summer-early fall and fill bottom with leaves and boy do I have the leaves. The leaves could decompose over the winter and would make a good base for soil. Love having something to think about and plan for.

Cover the drilled holes with coffee filters - should have good drainage. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of the toughs.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 28 2018 :  08:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sara -

That's a good idea - using the troughs. And I think they have a drain at the bottom so they can be cleaned out. Did you mean those dimensions in feet? LOL! At Tractor Supply and Atwoods I see the ovals that are 2x8x1 but not 4x8x1. Where are you finding them?

Most leaves are great for compost. I have the leaves here, too, from my two large sycamore trees.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on May 28 2018 08:24:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 28 2018 :  08:37:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, got me there - yes feet. Hadn't thought about them having a drain but I think I would still want more holes to make sure water doesn't puddle. A soaker hose in each tough would be nice. Would just have to hook up to a water hose and let it do it's thing while I sit and rock. I think I could handle that.

There's a house in town we go pass on our way to Kelly's Fruit/Veg Stand. They built the prettiest raised beds I have ever seen outside a magazine. Looks like 2'X 4' or 5' all wood. Each bed has it's own water pipe/faucet. Must be six - 8 beds. They grow everything from cabbage to onions.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  07:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally broke down and bought a good pocket hose off Amazon. Used it for the first time this morning and must say watering was easier than refilling a watering can and lugging it around the yard.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  1:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara , I love my pocket hose! so light!!
Carole it is a pretty flower even though it barged in! LOL!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  1:46:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Raised beds is all I can do. I wish I had more! This one is about 6x8 feet square.
Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  2:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How high is your raised bed, Connie?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  2:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have pocket hoses, too. One here and one in the motorhome.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  07:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My butterfly bush is in full bloom and nary a butterfly in sight. So sad not to see them anymore. So far no bees or butterflies this summer. Maybe they will show up - I sure hope so.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2018 :  2:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I just saw your question. it is 15 inches tall. Here is a pic today of the flowers! Finally, Finally !I got Black-eyed Susans to Bloom!! I love the Zinnas.They make such long lasting cut flowers for inside. Me and Lily June love them!

Sara ,I saw 2 Honey bees in my raised bed the other day and I yelled for anybody who was in the house to come and see! Kinda sad too, Isn't it? I remember even as a teenager sitting in the grass making clover necklaces and the bees buzzing all around!! That was also before City Home owners wanted their grass to look like carpet and have their yards sprayed several times a year with pesticide!!!!

Hugs! Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jun 19 2018 2:08:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2018 :  2:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie your garden is beautiful. The butterfly bush is fading so I am seeing less bees but have seen them around.

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2018 :  6:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, Your flowers are beautiful! We raise Honey Bees, and it's sad to know what all the chemicals and stuff has done to them. We lost three of our four hives this past Fall and Winter. We now have four hives that are doing well, thank the Lord! I have a butterfly bush and have had quite a few butterflies on it this year. My flower garden is close to the hives and the bees tend to just fly right over the flowers. They come out of the hive go high up and fly fast! I could sit and watch their comings and goings, they amaze me! Praying we will have a good Sourwood Honey yield this year. We do have some Abelia bushes in front of our porch and it is covered in Honey Bees :)

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2018 :  7:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruth prayers for your bees. I just love hearing the buzzing!! Its so rare these days. People aren't taking the plight of our Bees seriously!

Connie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Gardening Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page