Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 October 2019~ Pumpkin Time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic October 2019~ Pumpkin Time Next Topic
Page: of 4

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9280 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9280 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  5:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, she has some greats prints I am thinking about.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2019 :  8:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon...So very sorry for the lost of your tiny one. God bless your whole family.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9280 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9280 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2019 :  05:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I'm playing catch up. Laundry and office work. I've started laundry and will start in the office a little later this morning.
JT is at his rehab appt. It seems to be going well thus far. The grands think they have the coolest grandpa and everyone wanted to see their papa's half finger. LOL. He had to do a lot of protecting when all the hugging and holding and playing started. Seemed to do okay. The littlest one who could notice was a little apprehensive but didn't let it stop her from the fun with her papa. By the time we see them at Christmas it should be healed quite a bit more.
What is everyone else up to?
Soon we will be turning the page on a new month. Not sure I am ready to let this one go. We still have a lot of green on our trees.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4644 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4644 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2019 :  05:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We’ll be off to my treatment in a few minutes. Then run a few errands and this afternoon go look at another house.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2019 :  10:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you are actively house hinting, Linda?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9280 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9280 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  07:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, this is the last day of October but not the last of pumpkin time!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2652 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2652 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  07:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
October seemed like it FLEW by! I wish July and August would go as quickly when we're harvesting!
Denise, good to hear that JT is doing so well!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  09:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish July and August would fly by due to the HEAT!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4644 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4644 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  10:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We looked at another house, and it is nice and fits what we are thinking we need. It is in town and 37 years old, has 3 bedrooms and 2-1/2 baths, and has two additional rooms that would fit for my quilting/crafts and fabric stash. It also has a workshop in the backyard that would work for Ed and projects he wants to do. I am hesitant, mainly because I am 2 miles down the road from my son and his family; however, I really don't see them that often, even with them that close. I also love my 117 year old farmhouse and acreage, but it is only getting older, and needs more and more repairs. Here is the MLS listing for the house: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/323-Rash-Ln_Terrell_TX_75160_M74296-83354#photo19 It would need no changes except flooring to replace the carpeted areas.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  10:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I did the tour! Pretty house.
Here are my comments: No HOA fee is great! No rules about paint colors etc.???
Gas cook top is great!

Here are my questions:
How old is the roof?
Would you be using the study (11' x 9') and the game room (16' x 11') as your sewing crafting space? If so study what Ikea has to offer in the way of storage options.
How far away from your son?
Where is the fireplace, living room or gameroom?
Have you met the neighbors? I would want to visit again about the time school let's out until dark just to see the traffic patterns.
All in all it looks like a nice home.
Will you be able to pay cash if you sell both other homes??
The taxes are a good chunk of change. If they are like my sons...they go up every year. Since you are retired you should be able to get them down some. Also homestead it.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 31 2019 10:58:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  11:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, love!!! That's a Farmgirl house!!!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  11:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Halloween! Lily June was Doctoring Frank! Hugs to all!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  11:24:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard decisions ahead, Linda. I took the video tour and it looks like a nice place. I don't envy you at all and there is much to consider. My only suggestion is stay put unless you just love it because once you give up your Farmhouse, there is no going back. I keep hearing you speak with great affection for your 117 year old farmhouse so I understand how this is hard. You will be able to find a new home if that is what you want, but if you don't absolutely just love the layout, location, and price, I suggest just to hold out until either that perfect house presents itself or you figure out how to renovate and love what you have. NOT an easy issue and there is no easy way to replace old with new. Good luck and don't be afraid to just take a long break from searching and fretting about doing the right thing. The good news is that you don't have to move right now and there are always new houses coming on the market. I know we got so burned out when we thought we wanted to downsize, that house hunting became a big drag because it just made it all more confusing and increased my feeling dissatisfied. Sometimes putting a bit of distance between hunting and just living where you have been for awhile can help clear up what it is that will make you really want out of where you are. Keep us posted!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1174 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1174 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  1:15:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took the tour too. Nice house -- I hate to think what it would cost here in California

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9280 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9280 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  3:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful home Linda! I guess it would be hard to make a decision on it. I plan our next house to be one I love or it won't be a possibility. I imagine it will be our last home we would purchase so I would want to make sure it is a fit for us. I don't envy you having to pack up and move but I am downsizing now so when we move I don't have such a major job of it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  6:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie you are right, step back, take a deep breath. Moving into town from the country would be almost impossible for us. You need to be quiet, which I am not when I'm out doors. Today the big dogs came to see who was singing down at the pecan tree. We have dogs that bark...not nice quiet, kenneled dogs. Our big dogs were over at a neighbors gate recently, at night. Buddy Bear thinks he has to keep the whole area safe...I guess.
Linda, have you thought of hiring a builder and building a home that fits your needs? There seem to be a lot of people who are down sizing. My son is building another smaller home under a big barn...this is probably the sixth one he has done this year. Also remember that As of January 2020 we will have a flat tax on new things...I have seen 14% and 17%. We will no longer have a tax on our income.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  6:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I didn't know they made a Frank doll! Cool!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4644 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4644 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  10:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TexasGran

Linda, I did the tour! Pretty house.
Here are my comments: No HOA fee is great! No rules about paint colors etc.??? Yep - no HOA. And outside is all brick or vinyl siding, so no painting needed.
Gas cook top is great! Except I have never used gas stove except for a short time and I'm not used to it.

Here are my questions:
How old is the roof? The roof was checked and insurance company said it was okay.
Would you be using the study (11' x 9') and the game room (16' x 11') as your sewing crafting space? Yes - the game room for the machines and sewing, and the study for my fabric storage. LOL! We would probably replace the carpeting in the living room, den, and study with the high end vinyl, and the bedrooms with new carpeting. If so study what Ikea has to offer in the way of storage options. Yes, I would need shelving.
How far away from your son? 26 miles +/-
Where is the fireplace, living room or gameroom? living room
Have you met the neighbors? I would want to visit again about the time school let's out until dark just to see the traffic patterns.
All in all it looks like a nice home.
Will you be able to pay cash if you sell both other homes?? yes
The taxes are a good chunk of change. If they are like my sons...they go up every year. Since you are retired you should be able to get them down some. Also homestead it. yes it is homesteaded, we would get the over 65 (they have disabled), too.

My answers to your questions are added above.

We like the house a lot. The house has everything we need - shop for Ed, outdoor areas, covered patio, and room(s) for my sewing/crafts. It's a big step, and if we do buy it, we have 2 properties to sell, but we should be able to do it. One possible glitch - we have the Germany cruise in December and the Caribbean in January and the Mediterranean the end of April. That means we'd be doing a LOT in February WHEW!

It is nice and homey inside.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Nov 01 2019 10:21:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4644 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4644 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  10:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn -

Where did you hear about what you said about taxes?

"As of January 2020 we will have a flat tax on new things...I have seen 14% and 17%. We will no longer have a tax on our income."

I got this online:

What states have a flat income tax?

Flat tax rates. Just eight states have a flat tax rate on incomes. These include Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Utah. A flat tax, sometimes called a fair tax, levies the same rate on all income levels.

Texas is one of nine states that has no state income tax, so that doesn't pertain to us. There is a proposition on the Nov 5 ballot about a state tax, but I hope it doesn't pass. If people don't read the proposition correctly, it may pass.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Nov 01 2019 10:31:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  2:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want you to be happy. You and Ed have lived in towns, and had close neighbors before.
When my mother remarried, she left her home and moved to his home in the country. She loved it. She had a quilting frame in the bedroom Just off the kitchen. She could watch the meal as it cooked and stitch on a quilt at the same time. The river bottom was all pecan trees. Each afternoon they took the tractor and went to pick up pecans. Mother even bought a pair of boots to wear to the bottoms. Then As the chill of winter came they sat and shelled those pecans.
When She got sick and had to be gone from home for four months, he made a decision to sell his farm and buy a house in Glen Rose. He did it on his own and sent photos to mother. He had lived there when his kids were in school, and I was teaching there. I guess that was the best of both worlds for him. They had neighbors, but each house sat on 2-5 acres.

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 01 2019 3:01:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9280 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9280 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  3:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of a flat tax on income. Maybe because we never were in any of those states. Well, Pennsylvania but only for about 8 months. Don't remember tax stuff from there though.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4644 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4644 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  3:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We are going to talk to the realtor tomorrow and get a ballpark price on my property. We both like the house - it has all the room that we need and it is in a city that is growing; it is closer to a good hospital - we do not want to be taken to the hospital nearest my house. With the two properties we have now, we can never get all the outside work done that needs to be done, and my house will always need more repairs. We will see what she says tomorrow. Ed has had at least 2 people who said to let them know if he decided to sell, and another person down the road is buying up any properties that come available.

we have both lived in a city - a lot larger than the one this newer house is in. The lot is very useable, with a covered porch and two smaller covered decks for relaxing or entertaining. There is room for a garden and it is completely fenced.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  6:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds great Linda. I'm excited for you.
Concerning the taxes...Almost two years ago, on Christmas eve, after we had our family time, I was looking on you tube. That was when I learned about Q. That was when I have up TV and the news from the TV. I told my husband to only watch Fox news and only listen to Hannity, Ingram and Waters on Fox! The MSM was lying. MSM is main stream media. I began to get my dad and information from you tube. In fact that is where I watch Hannity. Citizen Journalists! I've listened to a lot of them..some are a bit out there, so I found some good ones.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  6:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A flat tax will be more fair. Right now we pay income tax. We also pay sales tax. We will have to wait to see but there won't be any income tax, no tax on food or medicines. Every one who goes to buy new stuff will pay the same flat tax...14% or 17% ...what ever they decide.
The Federal Reserve and the irs are not government run. They are private corporations, and have been running amuck since the 1800s.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic October 2019~ Pumpkin Time Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page