levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 23 2022 :  10:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to HL this morning and as I was checking out I looked up and saw my dd and grandson there. He was surprised to see me. LOL! I guess he thinks I only shop with him and his mom. Anyway, when they were done they stopped by and he was wanting ice cream. I'm not sure why I guess it was a conversation he had with his mom earlier. Anyway we opted for an apple and pear snack having his ice cream after he ate lunch at home. I have given him ice cream here before after lunch but I just thought it was funny he knew we would have ice cream stocked! LOL.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 23 2022 :  10:38:12 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hugs and prayers for you, Winnie, while you are completing your treatments. Please know that we are here for you when you need us.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - May 23 2022 :  3:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They just don’t forget that kind of thing Denise! Keeps you on your toes!
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 24 2022 :  4:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We took him out with us today and he was charming all the women. He's very friendly and was very well behaved.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 25 2022 :  03:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to get started on another quilt after I finish some things for a swap.
Today is the last day of school for the girls and I am supposed ro be preparing some projects. I may be teaching beginning quilting this summer.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 25 2022 :  08:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to be teaching the two girls that watch our cats when we're gone how to quilt this summer. After school's out and they get situated I'll start with some easy blocks.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 25 2022 :  08:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember well, the summer I taught the girls to sew! It was fun, but funny and stressful.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 25 2022 :  10:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am prepared for it to be stressful but I want it to be fun!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 25 2022 :  7:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Learning to quilt was a bucket item thing for me. I love quilting…there is a lot of satisfaction in cutting up pieces of fabric and sewing them back together in pretty patterns. I have so many quilt tops in various stages of completion. I need to get busy finishing now!! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  03:27:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karen,
I'm with you on the quilt tops. Lol. Do you have a machine or do you quilt them by hand? I've always done mine by hand but that's the way I learned to do them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  11:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
One of the schools here did this ... click on the link

Gilbert Willie Elementary in Terrell ISD placed 19 empty student chairs and 2 empty teacher chairs in the front of the school.

The principal told me, “People need to see what this looks like. People need to visualize what emptiness looks like.”

She said she knew the school needed to do something to honor the lives lost in Uvalde.

“I arrived at campus early this morning, tears emerging from my eyes as I put my car in park. I looked at the steps of my building trying to imagine 19 of my students and 2 staff members never returning. I couldn't. I can't. “

Terrell ISD

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=585453439616423&set=a.199902831504821&type=3

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on May 26 2022 11:09:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  12:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
19 children is almost a whole classroom. And in some school's IS a whole class. So sad. Do they have any ideas on the young man's thoughts? I assumed since he was 18 he was out of school.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 26 2022 12:02:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1171 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  1:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watching the news frequently makes me sad or mad or both but this was the first time the nightly news brought me to tears. I used to work in a primary school. The children killed were little kids. They didn't even have a chance to live their lives yet. My husband and I have both lost daughters but at least they got to live to adulthood. Those poor children didn't have a chance. My heart goes out to the parents and relatives. I think I read that most were from one classroom.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  2:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is so sad. First they said the 19 children and 2 teachers were all in one 4th grade classroom; now they are saying the gunman went to 4 classrooms. The shooter was a high school dropout in the same time; high school classmates said he had threatened several of them. He shot his grandmother in the face before going to the school. His grandparents and his mother/step-father say they did not know he had bought guns; his mother said that he could have a temper, but they would have never thought he'd do something like this. I'd like to know how he could afford the $3500 the news said the guns and ammunition cost. His grandfather, who he lived with, said if he'd known he had guns he would have turned him in.

Here in Terrell a strange Instagram post was sent out to many students in the district last night; the wording sounded like a threat to the schools here. School district was taking this as a threat and the police were trying to track down the person who sent the message; the school district said they would prosecute to the fullest because this is considered an act of terrorism. This morning parents were keeping their children out of the last day of school because they were worried; and schools said they would not count it as an absence. Police were present at all schools. It was announced today that the person who sent the Instagram had turned themselves in - don't know if adult or student. We are wondering what they will be charged with. At another school district in the Dallas area a parent entered a school with a concealed firearm and it went off and shot himself in the leg; no students were injured, but school was temprarily locked down. He is also going to be prosecuted for bringing an illegal firearm into a school. People are crazy!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on May 26 2022 4:40:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  3:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does Texas law allow concealed carry?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1171 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  3:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's my understanding that Texas doesn't even do background checks on firearm sales; you can just buy a gun and take it with you.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  4:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes we have concealed carry, but not in a school. Except there are several schools that have several teachers who are armed.
When you go to buy a gun they look to make sure you don't have a criminal record - he didn't. But he was 18 just a couple days before he bought them and he bought a lot of ammo. That should have concerned the sales people I think.

I thought all schools doors were locked when school was in session with only one door with access with a buzzer so the office personnel can let people in. They are saying the gunman walked right in a side or back door. We are getting a lot of different info from what they said yesterday. And it contradicts what was said yesterday.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  8:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I’ve only had one of my quilts machine quilted (not by me)…the rest have been tied. Until recently I did not have a machine that could even come close to quilting. My daughter quilts as well and is really enjoying a larger, more modern hand stitch to finish her quilts. I love the look of a machine quilted finish but am still drawn in by simplicity of the tied quilt.

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  8:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have most all of my quilts machine quilted, except a couple baby quilts that I have stitched on my machine and a couple hand tied quilts. There are several gals in my quilt guild who do long arm quilting and the one doing them for me now is newer and only charges $.01/sq inch, which is very reasonable. She does a super job. Most of the others charge $.015/sq inch and they are booked up. I have about 7 quilts that need binding now, and need borders on a few more then I can get them to her at the next meeting, 1 month from now.

My mother hand quilted two quilts I made - one each for my niece and nephew. And I have another quilt that she hand quilted. Her stitches were not tiny but even and I love the look.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on May 26 2022 8:43:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 27 2022 :  05:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hand stitches aren't perfect but I like the look of the hand quilting. I have never done a pattern just stitch in the ditch mostly. It does take an extremely long time and I think that is why women used to get together and have quiltings. Also gave them a time to visit and hear news. People are to busy for that nowadays. I would like to find someone who has a machine to get some done.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 27 2022 :  07:25:02 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Denise - google king arm quilters or contact a local quilt guild. There are always guild members who longarm for people.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - May 27 2022 :  11:04:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am beyond angry that we are the only country on this planet that allows this many guns bought so easily! It is crazy!! Assault rifles are not your traditional hunting deer or wild pig guns either. These powerful rifles were developed for one thing only: killing people quickly within a few seconds. Why do we need this sort of weapon in the hands of regular citizens? Even military training has these sorts of guns with strict use and safety, safety, safety. Nobody just wanders in Wal-Mart with their assault rifle hung on their shoulder, loaded , wearing it like we do with a big tote purse? In Wal-Mart? in your regular grocery store and feed store? Really? That can be done in Florida if you have a permit and choose to do so. It is CRAZY and DANGEROUS!! Enough of this rant but this week's slaughter of 19 precious children and two beautiful and caring school teachers really upset me. I am tired that nothing ever gets done and the NRA Lobby has that kind of power and money over our own elected officials that they won't do basic gun legislation that 80% of Americans want. 80% want just basic background checks. Basic. Nothing fancy. Nobody is taking away anyone's guns. Just basic safety for the nation's people so they can go to school, go to the grocery store, attend their church etc. etc. and not fear about getting gunned down by someone with a violent intention that easily purchased an assault rifle or two with the big magazine rounds of ammunition online with no background check at all. Yep, that is what this week's 18 year old was able to do with no problem.

On a personal note, I had my radiation and Medical oncology appointments this week. Good news! Last testing results showed no need for chemotherapy, radiation will be 20 visits or 4 weeks at 5 days a week. Yesterday I was carefully measured and tattooed to begin radiation on June 7. When I am finished with radiation, I will begin a 5 year treatment with a hormone inhibitor drug to prevent available estrogen ,which is what fueled this current tumor that was just removed. Both visits were good because the doctors took time to explain everything coming up, all the possible side effects, what will be done to help if I get side effects that are troublesome, and answer all of my or Warren's questions. It felt reassuring to be moving forward with treatment and getting done what needs to happen following surgery.

Thank-you all again for all of your support , lovely cards, and caring comments. I appreciate my Farmgirl friends very much!! This has been quite a journey since February when I first went to my doctor with a sore area on my right breast. As with all cancers, there are many ups and downs and questions pending more testing that are sometimes discouraging and scary. Thankfully, I feel like the physicians and nurses who I have seen have been wonderful, patient with me, and caring. It truly helps tamper down fears and worries.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1171 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - May 27 2022 :  1:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie -- So glad you are getting the needed care. May you heal fast and permanently.

As a responsible gun owner I agree with you. I do wonder about an 18 year old person with issues may have their background sealed because he was a juvenile. Just wondering....

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 27 2022 :  8:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie!!! Praises to God for your positive news!!!! I’m so glad you were able to get answers for your questions and concerns. It’s wonderful that you have a supportive and caring team of professionals taking care of you!! :)

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 27 2022 :  8:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Winnie - Good news!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic May~2022 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page