Page: of 2

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  08:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I hate mice! we live right on the edge of wheat/lentil fields in an old farmhouse that, I swear, has a sign in Mousease that says, COME ON IN, THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE!! We use snap traps, I only have one cat at the moment and he isn't that great of a mouser. I don't want to get another cat until we move because we live very close to a busy highway. I have found female cats to be way superior mousers than the males, especially if the males are neutered. What freaks me out about mice is when I read that they do not have bladders, there is a continual stream of urine that runs down their tails, and EVERYWHERE they go, ugh, yuk. That is how they find their way into everything, all it takes is one mouse to blaze a trail and they all go there. That's why even if you remove the food source, the scent is still there and they will keep checking. I am contemplating planting peppermint along the entire foundation of the house.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  10:11:54 AM  Show Profile
I hve cats in my house so no problem with mice in the house,when we first moved in,before the cats,there were mice so I caught an old fat bullsnake and let him loose in the house,of course this isn't a solution for the ophidiophobic but I like snakes quite well so I didn't mind "Old Bull" as we called him,hanging around,he dispatched the mice efficiently and hung around a few months then must have found his way out.
In our feed shed I use a steel humane trap placed along the walls that catches several mice at a time,when I find it full they go for a little dunk,cage and all,in the stock tank then I throw their little carcasses away and set the trap again,I don't hate mice but there are plenty of them and considering that rodents,worldwide,destroy more than a third of our grain supply,I think we can even up with them a bit.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  7:15:38 PM  Show Profile
Tina:
So funny, but a great report on mouse catching. I agree, get a cat. I have two inside, and five outside. The only mouse I see is dead ones. Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  7:18:10 PM  Show Profile
Before I had any cats, we did have a mouse in the bedroom. So, gross! My hubby got a box. Made a hole in each side. Inside he put the mouse trap and lots of cheese. Two hours later, SNAP. The blood didn't get all over the place, it and the dead mouse stayed in the box. No one had to even look at the deceased body. But, the sound alone was totally gross. Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  9:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ewww Marly!!! EWWW!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  1:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
A cheap (but admittedly cruel) way to get rid of mice is to leave instant potatoes out. The mice eat the flakes, drink water and... their tummies explode. Sounds very cruel, and I've not done it - I use the pellets that make them look for water - I get mice in our "dungeon" (it can't be called a garage nor a storage shed, so...) and sometimes in our guest house. Never found a body yet.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  2:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I'm curious. Would the cats and dog eat the flakes too? I'd not want them to explode too. LOL!
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  12:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I think I'd put them in places a dog or cat would find it hard to get into - besides, their tummies are a lot bigger, so they'd have to eat a good portion before it hurt them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Try This: Previous Topic Mouse, mice...too many Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page