Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  06:15:31 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know what they used (or if they used...) shower curtain liners in the good-'ol-days? I hate the smell of the new ones and I hate having to throw all of that vinyl into the landfill over and over. My outer shower curtain is cloth, but if I just use that then water might splash out of the shower. Maybe a canvas inner curtain cut short so it doesn't touch the tub but seals off the shower? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
slainte!
--Kelly

obventions
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Liz
Lexington KY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  07:51:50 AM  Show Profile  Send obventions an AOL message  Click to see obventions's MSN Messenger address  Send obventions a Yahoo! Message
Didn't they use like doors? I remember in my uncle's old house they had like swinging doors on theirs. Hmm.

Anywho! How about a recycled polyester? Or something to that extent. Hemps, cottons, things like that which are kind of "popular" will absorb moisture (and turn to mold.) Want to go funky? How about a patch work shower curtain from old umbrellas? A lot of times you can pick them up from thrift shops for about 50 cents or so. You could sew something in to hold weight at the bottom... to hold it inside the tub without flowing out since they're relatively light weight... Magnet maybe? Or sew in a suction cup type thing.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  07:53:35 AM  Show Profile
I keep meaning to get a thicker cloth shower curtain and do away with my liner, too. But I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

You can definitely use a canvas or cotton shower curtain with no liner, but I think it has to be a thicker cloth than the usual shower curtain (meant to be used with a liner).

The only thing to worry about is that the curtain not get moldy, especially if you've got a thick one as liner and the old one for outside. I think as long as you remember to pull the shower curtain tight after your shower, so the curtain isn't hanging in folds to trap moisture, it should be fine.

Also, I remember staying overnight with some friends who used a single cloth shower curtain, and they always reminded us to wring out the curtain after our shower so it would dry faster.
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  05:42:58 AM  Show Profile
Kelly,
Last night I was looking through my Mary Janes Farm mags. and I found just what you were asking about. on page 17 of the oct-Nov 2008 issue she said to use a hemp curtain the web sight is www.healthgoods.com She said a hemp curtain will get wet but it won't leak through. it is quick-drying and naturally resistant to mold and bacteria and you can toss yoou curtain in the laundry to freshen it up. I hope this helps.

Tina~Farm Girl #455
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  06:38:36 AM  Show Profile
They make cloth liners. I just bought two new shower curtains and the lady in the shop was trying her best to sell me her new liners which were cloth. They ran about $20 each.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  06:41:04 AM  Show Profile
I just went and checked online and saw that Target had cloth ones for $12.99. Not to bad.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  2:28:22 PM  Show Profile
Check out Vermont Country Store, I got my liner from there and love it after years of struggling with vinyl liners...http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/browse/Home/For-The-Home/Bath/Shower-Curtains/D/30103/P/1:100:1030:10290/I/f03392?evar3=BROWSE
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  5:06:13 PM  Show Profile
I hate the smell of a new plastic liner too. I have to watch out for any mold as my kids and I are really allergic to mold. I wash mine with vinegar and haven't needed to replace it for years. The only time I had to replace it was after 6 years and the holes were ripped. My husband then used it for a drop cloth in the garage for a while.

Madelynne

johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CalicoCat
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

April
Oakland County MI
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see CalicoCat's MSN Messenger address  Send CalicoCat a Yahoo! Message
My liner is nylon as well. (I, preversely, sort of like that vinyl smell; it reminds of me of brand new dolls given to me as a child LOL! But I know about outgassing, so mentally recoil from it.) The liner is a champ, though. I've had it forever, and it starts to look grimy or harbor mildew, a spin in the washer has it looking like new again.

I saw the same note in the magazine about that hemp liner, and resolved to try this next. ;)

~April

Edited by - CalicoCat on Feb 11 2009 08:54:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  2:05:59 PM  Show Profile
My next liner will be cloth. I don't know why I keep buying the cheap ones....they are so bad for everything...except I haven't been able to throw them out so I have a few for cover for the garden in spring and drop cloths. Still, if it's 4$ vs 20$...I've already done that over the long haul eh? It just seems like that "xtra" 16$ could be put to better use at that particular moment.
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  2:13:05 PM  Show Profile
Would oil cloth work as a liner?
Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  6:27:14 PM  Show Profile
thanks all for your wonderful responses!
--Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  04:28:10 AM  Show Profile
I hate the plastic ones, too. And when they get a bit of mold on them, forget it, even with bleach. The cloth ones are so easy to launder. I've seen them in most big box stores and also in mail order catalogs. Some are treated with some kind of anti-mold agent. I'm not really knowlegable about that.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  9:26:19 PM  Show Profile
I've just discovered the solution for our house. We have the shower curtain and liner on separate tension rods. I've always hated dealing with the rings, and repairing the eyelets. Last week, I found a cotton flat bedsheet with woven satin stripes for three dollars at Goodwill. I cut about eighteen inches from the bottom, made a deep rod pocket, and hung it up as a liner, with the deep hem at the bottom. After every shower, I just wring the bottom, and hang it outside the tub. Every time that I pass, I shake it a little, and it dries in a few hours. I keep the outer curtain open, because it coordinates so well. Since there are no more rings, it's easy to toss it in the laundry with the bedsheets. Showering is quieter, too, without the sound of water on the plastic.
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
182 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  3:28:33 PM  Show Profile
Why don't you just scotch guard the cloth curtain?

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  10:01:58 AM  Show Profile
Funny - I LOVE the smell! As a kid we always took vacations to the beach and we always got new inflatable beach toys. SAME SMELL! The moment I open a new curtain it brings back all those wondeful memories of new pool toys and floaties!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

SpiritedRose
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Michelle
Chestertown MD
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  09:05:52 AM  Show Profile
I wish there was a book written on what they did in the olden days for lots of things!

My mom uses a cotton liner and she just takes it off and washes it regularly, probably with a dab of bleach to sanitize. Comes back looking like new and it has lasted forever.

Homemaker FarmGirl
Has a great husband,
Registered Jersey breeder,
AKC Akita breeder,
and Two favorite cats!

spiritedrose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

bsvgs
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Nica
Big Bend WV
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  3:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Bought new, a hemp shower curtain runs about $80-$100. And that's the kind I'd really like to have. Just as I read here, it's supposedly mildew resistant, & I only have a 1-person household so it wouldn't be wet a lot of the time. One of my main reasons, though, is that my 6 indoor-only kitties like to play an "inside-outside" game with the tub, slicing easily through the curtain as they bat at one another thorough it! We've been through 3 plastic curtains in 1 year. On the other hand, hemp is apparently hard to cut through!

Thought about sewing myself one of these, but the fabric is expensive & I guess I'd need 5 or 6 yds, if it's even wide enough. Do any of you have any experience with hemp curtains &/or sewing with hemp?

Thanks,
Nica
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  11:11:32 AM  Show Profile
I use our old shower curtains for drop cloths when painting and for a liner under a picnic blanket. No more grass and "stuff" on our picnic blanket.

Thanks everyone for sharing your great ideas!
Joyce
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Shower Curtains Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page