Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 DD's girly problem- Help needed!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic DD's girly problem- Help needed! Next Topic  

elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  4:59:54 PM  Show Profile
My 4 yr old daughter has been complaining about it hurting when we wash her "down there" for the past month. It's been a little red but she has been known to over react sometimes so we just try to wash and dry it real good and make sure she wipes good also. Well, today she started saying that it hurts when she pees and tonight she was almost in tears during bath time.
Do any of you know what we should try?
Thanks!
Emily

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  5:06:03 PM  Show Profile
I wonder if it's a urinary tract infection? Those can be MISERABLE. I wonder also if, since it's been going on for a month, if you might want to take her to the Dr. just to be sure. Poor thing!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  5:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Emily-

I have had urinary tract infections before and it certainly can get tender "down there" if you have one. And sometimes that can be the only clue! I would certainly suggest taking her to a doctor because urinary tract infections can travel up the system to the kidneys and really do some damage.

Until then, drinking real 100% cranberry juice can help (can 4 year olds drink cranberry juice?). Something in the cranberry makes the e-coli bacteria (the cause of urinary tract infections) to not be able to "stick" to the urinary tract. It will usually at least help with the pain for now.

Also she is old enough- maybe you could ask her if she knows what caused the pain. When I was about that old I jumped off a bathroom counter forgetting that I had left the doors open below. I landed stradled on the door and boy oh boy did that hurt! I can still remember it very vividly today and I know I was sore for a while.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  5:37:28 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like UTI but I would HIGHLY suggest taking her to a doctor especially if she has been complaining for this long. You don't want to mess around with that area. Also untreated UTI can lead to kidney problems or even be a sign of them!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Sep 27 2007 5:37:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  8:39:01 PM  Show Profile
I would also suggest a UTI. My niece had a yeast infection when she was about that old from bubble bath, if you can believe it!!! And I used to LOVE my long, relaxing bubble bath until I found out I was getting a yeast infection from it. Some are more susceptible. And even if she hasn't had a bubble bath, it could just be from soap gettin up in there and messing with the natural balance of things. So, please take her to the doctor. I hope she feels better soon!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  9:32:24 PM  Show Profile
I am certainly not suggesting that you don't take her to the Dr, but I had a UTI and cleared it up myself by drinking lots of cranberry juice. I couldn't take it straight and unsweetened, but I did use the 100% juice blend...my friend buys the 100% cranberry juice and mixes it with ginger ale and it's really tasty.
If you choose to try this method, it should clear up in just a couple days. Mine was gone in 2 days. I wouldn't go much longer than that without taking her to the doc.
However, if this is a yeast infection and not a urinary tract infection, I have absolutely no idea if the cran juice will help at all.
I know she's only 4, but can she tell you if it hurts her WHERE she pees, or if it hurts up in her abdomen when she pees? When I had my UTI it hurt up in my abdomen.

*legal disclaimer* This is my opinion and what has worked for me. I am not a doctor or nurse. Do with my suggestion what you will, and at your own risk. *end legal disclaimer*

My younger son had sensitivity to bubble baths and his penis would get irritated and he'd cry when he peed. We didn't do anything (after taking him to the Dr) other than stop using bubbles in his bath. It quickly healed and hasn't come back...and we don't use bubble bath in our house anymore!
Hope you figure this out!
Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  9:42:20 PM  Show Profile
at that age it is best to take them to a dr. in my honest opinion.poor baby. hope she gets better real soon. gosh I absolutely hate it when the young ones are suffering..it tears my heart apart...anybody's kids..not just my own. give her a hug please.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  11:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I got a UTI once that I thought was clearing up, I was taking the AZO Cranberry tabs and drinking 100% juice. It was helping with the pain and I thought it was going away and then I woke up with a 104.5 degree fever and got to the doctor. She threatened to hospitalize me right there! Yikes! I think it just depends on the strain of E-Coli that you have since I had one that was much more painful before and responded better to the cranberry.

Alee
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  05:19:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone! She does take a bubble bath every other night so we will stop that and try cranberry juice for a few days to see if it starts to improve. If not then we will go to the doctor.
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  09:23:09 AM  Show Profile
I don't use, or let my daughters use, any kind of bubble bath or soaps, for the most part, because of the irritation it causes 'down there.' OUr girl parts are self-cleaning, and they really don't need all the stuff we do to them because we think they have to be soaped and scrubbed. I'll bet you'll see some improvement after you quit the bubble bath... I hope she feels better soon! :)

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  09:41:32 AM  Show Profile
Emily please make her a doctor's app't. I have raised three girls, two of which had recurrent UTI's.
When my second daughter was 20 months she got a UTI that I tried to treat "naturally" with cranberry juice, tons of water, etc. Well she ended up with the infection in her kidneys and septic and hospitalized for a week. Sick little girl she was. While her case might be the extreme, the point is UTI's can become serious.
When we quit bubble baths, the UTI's ended. Another thing we were told was no colored toilet paper, although I don't know if you can even buy such a thing anymore, I haven't seen it for ages.
Hope your little gal feels better soon. We all hate antibiotics, but sometimes they truly are warranted.
Diane
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  11:07:09 AM  Show Profile
Emily,

Bladder infections are horrible. And I don't want to insult or hurt your feeling in any way, but please watch out for child abuse. I was abused when I was small and was red and hurting. My mom thought it was a bladder infection or just that I was drinking too much juice. I never told her what was happening. So please ask her about that. Just to be sure.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  11:22:28 AM  Show Profile
Yikes! Poor little thing! Bubblebath = pure heck for me. I've always been that way, though, and though I didn't have UTI's when I was small, I got them very often after Christmas gift sets of Bath and Body Works!!!! Finally learned my lesson.

I hope that she feels better soon--it sure is miserable.
Be well,
J

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  6:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
When I was small I realized I got "itchy" if I used soap "down there" so I stopped. As an adult, I started washing with soap there and realized I still had an uncomfortable burning sensation, and later problems with intercourse hurting, if I used soap, ANY kind of soap, in that area.

Water works just fine.

I would still take her to the doctor, but no more bubble baths. Try fresh lavender in the bath or something as a treat instead. :)
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  7:09:59 PM  Show Profile
Emily,
I hope you will go ahead & take her to the doctor. I have double kidneys and grew up with chronic UTI's and kidney infections. From the age of 5 I was not allowed to take any baths, especially bubble baths. I have 2 daughters, 11 & 4. My 11 year old has never had any problems. The first time my 4 year old, then 3, told me it hurt when she went to the bathroom I took her in. She had a UTI, it wasn't very bad, but I know how painful they can be. I was already scared that she may have the same problems I did. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Lots of water (to drink) will help, but if there is an infection she will need antibiotics to clear it up completely. Give her a big hug for me!

Holly
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  7:38:45 PM  Show Profile
Go to the doctor just to be absoutly sure

As far as the cranberry juice thing goes...look for the 100% and not the washed out cocktail
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  8:27:04 PM  Show Profile
Another thing to consider is when you wash her undies and such, do you use liquid fabric softener on it?

I would get a burning/itching sensation "down there" along with some slight discharge. I was chatting with a friend about it, and she asked me if I used fabric softener. I told her that indeed, I did. She said to try rewashing my undies and such without using fabric soften, and within a few days the burning feeling and discharge cleared up.
I no longer use liquid fabric softener on any load containing undies.

While this may not be the cause of your daughter's problem, perhaps it is making a bad situation worse?????

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  06:42:53 AM  Show Profile
I will repeat what has already beens aid based on my experience as well as Graces's. We don't use soap on vulvas in our home and the girls wear organic panties from Round Belly Clothing. Not only what you launder your clothes in, but also what your clothes are treated with can be the culprit as well as using soap to wash.

get her drinking cranberry juice and get her to the dr. if necessary.

I hope she is well soon!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  04:59:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the help!
I started her on cranberry juice right away and showers with no soap at all (just for a couple days). It was no longer red and hurting within 48 hours. Now I let her use soap but just not anywhere in the region just in case. I've decided for now I'd let her take one tub a week but with no bubbles. Once I explained to her that it was making her hurt she was okay with it. So far she seems to be doing good. However, I'm keeping a very close eye on her just to make sure that she really is over this.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  09:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad she seems to be getting better!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  1:02:14 PM  Show Profile
glad to here that she is doing better and we dont do bubble baths either cause my girls would break out. my DD has had an i think they said an outside urinary infection kinda sounds like what your daughter has had it was red and itchy and stung when she had to pee(the red area also started to have little red dots). they told us to have her take showers. its actually quite common for girls to get them cause they dont always wipe very well or incorrectly so its really not that big of a deal. so if it flares back up i would recomend seeing your doc and they will put her on something to fix it(i cant remember if they gave us a cream or oral meds)

good luck and it sounds like its gotten better

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  1:09:18 PM  Show Profile
here's the link to Round Belly CLothing if you are (or any of you are) interestedin some organic panties: http://roundbelly.com/ (they make them for women too.)

they are local to where I live but ship to whereever I am sure. They make great clothes!!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH

Edited by - GaiasRose on Oct 12 2007 1:10:12 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic DD's girly problem- Help needed! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page