Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 mealworms in grains and pasta...yechhh!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic mealworms in grains and pasta...yechhh! Next Topic  

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  12:40:16 PM  Show Profile
I am not sure whether to post this under Kitchen or under Cleaning Up. Sorry to ruin anyone's appetite under this forum!

My question has to do with my second episode finding mealworms in several of my packaged dry goods. We keep a fairly stocked pantry at the farm, and we are there at least every other weekend, sometimes more. Ths past weekend, I had to throw out about 8 boxes of dry goods, from a box of uncooked spaghetti to a muffin mix, to a couple of packages of Red Beans and Rice mixture. This is the second infestation I've had, the first one being about a year or so ago.

Everything from now on will be stored in tins or plastic Ziploks, but I would like to know if these are coming in from the stores, and growing inside the boxes, or do I need to go digging behind walls of the pantry - I have this horrible image in my mind about a huge mealworm colony living inside the wall of the house, just waiting with slobbery jaws (do they have jaws?) for me to bring them fresh supplies!

I shop at different stores (no out of date sale items or anything like that), and I don't stock up too much on these things, but the rice mix packates and muffin mixes are not more than 3 months old, at most? It just seems unlikely that this much of our storebought dry goods have the larvae already in them, or do they? At this point I just pitched the stuff, since I didn't really think it was one single grocery supplier issue.

Of course, the MaryJanes Budget Mix is not affected; although I keep it in a sealed container since I buy the bulk-sized bag.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  2:44:37 PM  Show Profile
When it comes to baking mixes, flour and corn meal, I freeze mine for at least 48 hours and then store them in zip bags. I hate the thought of finding bugs in my food and thinking of the waste. Freezing kills any unfriendly inhabitants.
If those boxes have not been opened, then they were already there. Blecch .
Have you seen The Prizewinner of Defiance, Ohio? (A movie that came out a few years ago with Julieanne Moore as the mom. True story.) This poor family is down to the last bits of food, a soup mix, and the mom makes it up for her family and there are definitely bugs in it. All of the children complain but she tells them that they are not bugs, they are spices. I guess they weren't moving though.
If you keep your foods in separate containers, it will help prevent an infestation into other foods. You will only have to deal with the offending creatures in one bag or box.
I'm sorry you had to deal with that nastiness.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4115 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4115 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  4:20:18 PM  Show Profile
I wonder if it would help putting bay leaves around on your shelves. Though if the boxes are unopened, if won't.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  8:46:46 PM  Show Profile
i have bay leaves everywhere in our dry storage and our pantry and we have no buggy issues. I had one buggy issue once when we first moved in and the bay leaves worked like a charm! Hope you get rid of it! feed it to your chickens...they like bugs...then at least it isn't a complete waste.

[size=1]
~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  05:42:25 AM  Show Profile
The packages weren't opened, so I suspect they were already in there. I am always careful about sealing up the opened bag after I use some of the product. Thanks for the tip on freezing them first. I have heard about scattering bay leaves in the pantry to ward off ants, but I may try that too. Can't hurt!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Sage
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Pam
Worland Wyoming
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  1:25:47 PM  Show Profile
I agree sooooooooooooooo gross!! I used to manage an apartment house so I was always cleaning up old stuff left in kitchens when people moved. The eggs or larvae can be found in grain based foods and in cardboard packing material like boxes. I've found the bugs in food that was in sealed boxes, in paper products, and even in unopened spices and pet food. It's always a good idea to freeze anything wih grain or dry food in it that you won't be able to use in a month or two. I've found that the bay leaves work great and I use ziplock type bags to protect mixes etc.

I think this is more a problem with the suppliers and their packages than the consumer.

www.heritagedesigns.etsy.com

Edited by - Sage on Jan 29 2008 4:53:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  05:58:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sage! It's just a blow to my housekeeping pride to find icky stuff in my supposedly clean home!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  06:58:23 AM  Show Profile
They're not living in your walls. They come home with you from the store.

This happened to me, too (although in my case, I think it might have been carpet beetles). You're doing the right things. Hope it gets better.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  01:07:55 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking , when we cleaned out my uncles cupboards after he passed on , there were boxes of stuff that he had never opened and they had those little crawlers in some of them, and there were little borer (tiny) holes in the boxes near the bottems.
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  03:48:57 AM  Show Profile
We get infestations of ants and tiny yellow mealy bugs in flour.

I started keeping everything in tight fitting containers if it's not going to be used right away and in the freezer.

If you still have the boxes, look carefully at the sides and bottom for tiny holes. It's happened on more than one occasion here in unopened boxes---or what I thought was untampered.
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  07:25:55 AM  Show Profile
Do you know you should be able to get free large buckets with lids from the bakery section in your grocery store? We give them away all the time! Cake icings,garlic spread, cinnamon roll spread etc come in them and we clean them out when were done, and recycle them or give them away!!! They make great storage containers!!! Good luck!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  10:18:08 AM  Show Profile
Debi/Mima, that's a great idea about asking for the buckets at the store. And, thanks everyone, for the other info. There was only one box that had little holes/frayed area; the other boxes appeared to be untampered too, until I opened them up. This still gives me crawly feelings, but I don't feel like such a negligent housekeeper anymore.

Jo

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic mealworms in grains and pasta...yechhh! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page