Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 How Do You Cope with Tragedy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How Do You Cope with Tragedy? Next Topic  

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

701 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
701 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  10:08:00 AM  Show Profile
I had a little personal tragedy this week, and this is how I coped:
1. I got caught up on all my laundry.
2. I cleaned the house from top to bottom.
3. I made a quiche.
4. I made a cake - from scratch!
5. I embroidered four quilt blocks.
6. I made (stamping, watercolor, and paper-craft) my sister a birthday card.
7. I have made my bed and cleaned the bathroom every day for a week.
I come from a long line of women who, when faced with tragedy, go into uber-domestic mode. Other women cry and sit...we make chicken and dumplings and run the vacuum!
How do you deal with tragedy?

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  10:14:11 AM  Show Profile
I'm the most lazy, laid back person ever. But I'm also about as fragile as a Mack Truck. So when my brother died I was practically stoic. I felt like I had to take care of my parents and be strong for them and somehow I did it. I still don't know where that came from but I'm sure glad I have it in me.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  10:19:24 AM  Show Profile
I do the same thing Jessie- All of a sudden everything is mended, clean and tidy...that way there is nothing to get in my way as I grieve, lay around or take off. I am so sorry that you are there right now sister.

I also like to visualize the happenings of life as cyclical and repeating, like breathing if you just keeping going through the motions (however slowly) you will get back to a comfortable place. It seems to be the stopping for to long that is painful. For my meditation I breathe in pure energy and breathe out my stress, anxiety and tension. Some days it takes MANY breath's to feel balanced but it helps me tremendously.
LOVE- Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf

Edited by - Rebekka Mae on Feb 16 2008 10:19:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  12:32:12 PM  Show Profile
I also clean. Even faucets with toothbrushes. Environment is key for me, so when there is no "chaos" in my home, there is little "chaos" in my head. Cleaning is also a chance to drum out the "buzz" of thoughts that can easily creep in. Reading doesn't do that, knitting doesn't do that...

My mother is the same way, though when my father died, she picked up two extra jobs in addition to the one she already had so she was rarely home to be idle...when she did come home, she was so dead tired, all she could do was sleep. When I divorced, I did much the same out of necessity to pay bills, but admittedly, it was easier on me and I wasn't thinking on an empty house so much.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  1:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I cycle through cleaning franticaly, journaling, and knitting...sometimes stopping in the middle of scrubbing the toilet to write or setting my pen down mid thought cast on a new knit project or wash the dishes. I am very fidgity when upset, so I go in several different directions at once.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  3:29:53 PM  Show Profile
I completely shut down - cease to function. And there's nothing anyone can do to get me started again until something inside me tells me I'm ready. Then it's gradual. Of course this depends on the tragedy. If it is something to do with one of my kids or dh, this is how I react. If it is someone peripheral, then I too get busy and try to stay busy.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  11:10:18 PM  Show Profile
back when my brother died suddenly (18 yrs ago) I was told that I had to be the strong one for the family..I have been so ever since..even when I was breaking inside..didn't grieve in front of others (In fact made my mother rearrange his room the day after the funeral after everyone left so that she would not hold it as a shrine..yes it was hard to do that/but necessary/ooh she hated me at the time/but it was necessary for her grieving process for me to get her to do that)..and yes..when you have to be strong for others it takes twice as long..sometimes triple as long to deal with the grieving process for yourself..but I've always just done what needs doing for others around me..then broke down in private on my own.
even when I have felt like screaming out loud.
recently lost 2 family members nearly back to back 3 yrs ago(7 months apart from each other)..and all at the time I had a newborn baby..that took a while to deal with..some days I still cry..but had to be strong for others.I just knuckle down and dig in and do for others what I can..all the time telling myself I must stay strong and must keep my chin up.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  03:06:45 AM  Show Profile
I clean like crazy too!!! When my oldest was a senior in college,she was diagnosed with malignant melanoma!! so scary! We had a MONTH before the surgery!!! i cleaned out the whole gargage!! Took everything down from the rafters-went through everthing got rid of stuff...Didn't want to slow down to think!

Shes okay now.... That was nearly 6 or 7 years ago and shes now married with little girl #3 on the way!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  05:38:39 AM  Show Profile
I hike as quickly as possible out into the forest and cry. When I'm done, I come back and deal with everything.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  9:24:52 PM  Show Profile
I am good in a crisis, and can focus on what absolutely NEEDS to be done right in front of me. After that, I too shut down.
I lost my daughter Emily in 1995.
I cried A LOT, I laid in bed a lot-in a deep despair, and I functioned a the lowest capacity possible at work forever. (I HAD to go back to work the following week, we had rent, to feed my son etc.)
For a long time I took it minute by minute, hour by hour, and eventually day by day.
It probably took me over a year to learn to move on and cope. You don't get over it, but you learn to live life again. Only it's different. I know it has changed me.
God did bless me with my daugther Lauren the following year, she probably saved me from going nuts. What a true blessing she is too.
In other situations that involved a tragedy, I was someone that took charge. I am not the most polite-and can be short, but I am rock steady. Of course as soon as it is over, I am a complete mess, and freak out at home after.
In most situations, I am not one to wring my hands.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  05:07:53 AM  Show Profile
Kate, I am so sorry about your daughter. It sounds as though she were very young. Many hugs to you!

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  08:54:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jennifer,
I truly am not trying to garner sympathy by any stretch. I just remember being able to handle it (in public) pretty well. AT home was another matter for the first few months.
I don't mind talking about her; she was such a blessing too. I wouldn't have changed a thing, even knowing the outcome, except to spend more time with her.
I was young, I was 23.
I try to look at it as God needed her more than I did.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  11:15:11 AM  Show Profile
Very interesting topic. In the past, I would do busy work to keep me going or I would take out my camera and take photographs, whether it be flowers, etc. One time I worked out in the garden tending flowers quite a bit. I think that was the most perfect garden with 0 weeds and everything was blooming great. Writing helped a lot and writing about the wonderful memories shared with a loved one really helped in more ways than one. One year I planted a flowerbed with "favorite flowers" of loved ones and friends who have passed away.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  6:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Oh...gardening...I garden to deal with stress too. Last spring when "he" got so crazy I couldn't stand it I lived in the garden. I kept thinking about that quote in the "farmgirl Bible" (aka: Mary Janes Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook) that says "You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt."

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  7:04:12 PM  Show Profile
I cut my hair and starve myself and clean everything, and turn my life into go, go, go. When my parents divorced, about 5 years ago, I almost made it to my goal weight. I don't know if that's considered coping, it's just what happens. If it is sadness, nervousness, not tragedy, I over eat and bake. And watch trashy TV.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  7:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I run out into the woods, Scream at the top of my lungs and sob until my heart runs dry. Walk slowly back home, clean everything in sight, cook til i have enough for an army, then get really sick. When I lost my grandfather, I had a double inner ear infection and was basically deaf for two months. But my house was clean.

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic How Do You Cope with Tragedy? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page