Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  10:57:58 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I had read the book "Secret Life of Bees" and even watched a movie similar to it. I recently watched the trailer of the vanishingbees.com and was quite moved by what is and has been happening to our bees. I have always planted for the bees as well as other critters and will continue to do so in hopes of helping keep our much needed insects and wildlife.

It has opened my eyes once again to know that each one of us needs to help by planting organically and trying our best to keep our bees around."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  11:11:59 AM  Show Profile
Debra Amon (farmliving, #2182) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made a reversible full apron. One side is made from a beautiful vintage royal blue and green feedsack (bought at an antique store in Austin, Texas). The opposite side is made from a new green and white checked fabric. The outside edge of the apron as well as the pockets are edged with blue rick rack.

The apron ties are a generous length so that the apron can be tied in the front or the back.

I love the way this apron turned out. The colors are so vibrant, and I love the rick rack that peeks out from the edges. I try to make most of my aprons reversible. It is like having two aprons for the cost of one!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  11:18:48 AM  Show Profile
Pilar Stevens (retasos2, #2498) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Purchased 8 recycled shopping bags to replace plastic bags.

We really like having our own bags since they are a lot bigger and stronger than the plastic ones."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  11:30:48 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M., #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I have earned the beginner level of BakeOver, MakeOver by experimenting with some of the recipes in MaryJane's Ideabook. I have used the budget mix for some recipes and I have also made my own mix using the recipe on page 91. We have used all kinds of veggies in our bakeovers including yams and spinach. We have also used fresh and canned fruits for dessert bakeovers. With my daughters Ashley and Nicole we have tried almost every recipe we have found and experimented with some of our own concoctions, neither of the guys have complained!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  11:43:41 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M., #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I have made two of my own bakeover dishes for the intermediate level of this badge. One was a thick beef stew with bakeover dumplings on top. The dumplings cooked up nice and fluffy and were so yummy with thick stew served all over the top of them. When I make them again I will try to add some parsley and maybe some garlic powder for a little zing! The second recipe I made was a little different than the bakeovers....I used the dough and rolled it out thin, spread butter on it and then sprinkled it with sugar and cinnamon, rolled it up, sliced it, and baked the slices on a stone. I took them to a rehearsal for a play we were in and the cast loved them!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  11:46:47 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M., #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I have created enough bakeover recipes to satisfy the requirements for the expert level of this badge! Here they are:

Breakfast- In large skillet combine 1lb tofu, cubed; ½ cup browned breakfast sausage; 3 eggs, scrambled; and 1 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms. Mix together. In saucepan combine 1 chopped onion, 1 diced bell pepper, 3 minced garlic cloves, 3 T water, 4 T olive oil. Saute onion until done. In separate bowl combine: 1 T brown mustard, 2 T soy sauce, 1 T curry powder, 2 T parsley, ½ t. sea salt, ¼ t. black pepper, and a pince of chili powder. Add spices to onion mixture, mix, and add to tofu mixture. Top with a budget mix of your choice, or use basic budget mix with ½ c. parmesan cheese added. Bake 20 minutes and serve.

Lunch- MustGo Bakeover: Place in skillt little bits of leftovers from previous meals (ie, cooked peas or other veggies, meatloaf or baked chicken, fried or mashed potatoes...anything that “Must Go”) and add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and enough milk to achieve desired sauciness. Top with desired mix or basic mix made with milk and a disolved boullion cube. Bake 15-20 min (until crust is crusty) and serve. If you don't have soup, make a sauce with 1T butter melted, 1 T flour added and cooked until bubbly, and 1 c milk added and cooked some more until a boil is achieved and mixture feels like sauce. Shredded cheese may be added, too!

Dinner- Red stew bakeover: brown stew beef with 1 T oil and one chopped onion. Add 2 cloves of garlic, ½ t. salt, and 1/8 t. pepper. Stir in a can of tomatoe soup, ½ cup water, and ½ cup red wine. Mix well. In another saucepan place 2 diced potatoes, 2 stalks of celery sliced, and three sliced carrots. Add just enough water to cover and simmer until soft. Add ¼ t. of basil, ¼ t. thyme, ½ c. ketchup and mix well. Combine veggies and meat, cover with mix of choice or basic mix with 1 T parsley added. Bake 20-25 min at 450. (We like saucy bakeovers, but thicker stew can be achieved by leaving out the water!)

Dessert- Drain a can of pineapple chunks into a mixing bowl, then place the pineapple in the bottom of your skillet. Drizzle 2-4T melted butter over the pineapple and sprinkle with 1/3 cup of brown sugar or honey. Mix 1 ½ cups of budget mix with the juice of the pineapple and spread over the top of the pineapple (if it is too thick, add a little milk, or add a little more mix if it is too thin). Bake at 450 for 15-20 minutes and serve hot with ice cream."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  11:57:11 AM  Show Profile
Remi Davis (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected 10 shopping bags. Some are canvas bags from a state park we visited, some gift bags from the Department of Natural Resources, and some I found at yard sales.

I have been using them some as I shop and now I will be sure that I keep them in the trunk of my car so I know I won't forget them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  12:26:13 PM  Show Profile
Susan Baxter (farmliving, #2182) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I made a granny square afghan.

It turned out pretty good, it is pink and white."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  12:41:17 PM  Show Profile
Remi Davis (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I went to the website Eat Wild and researched the difference between grass-fed beef and beef that is corporately raised. What an eye opener. We don't eat that much beef but now that I see the hormones and additives that are added to beef I want to eat even less. The website was a valuable testament to pasture and naturally raised animals.

I now want to educate myself even more so that I can share this with my children and grandchildren. I can see the connection between health and good health and well being. We really do have a crisis where food is concerned. It is never too late to pay attention to where our food comes from."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  12:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Remi Davis (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"I researched an issue that is pertinent to my community which is a groundwater study. The Washington Department of Ecology and the US Geological Survey are responsible for this issue. Our county commissioners are also involved with this issue. This issue affects if we would want to drill wells in our area.

We would like to build a structure on our property and would need to drill a well there. This has helped me understand the agencies and the process to apply for a permit. It is also a good way to meet neighbors with the same concerns."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  1:17:09 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"Since I got my buttons out the other day I started thinking of something neat I could wear so I made a button choker style necklace! I sewed buttons on a red and white ribbon, then for the ends I used what I call "toggle type" buttons so the ends would be easier to tie, and the ribbon ends wouldn't fray. It took me about 2 hours to complete as I made sure the buttons wouldn't become unraveled and fall off!

It turned out so much cuter than what I had expected! I'm so glad I put those funky buttons on the ends of the ribbon because when I have them tied they hang down the back of my neck and it looks really neat from the back as well as from the front! I've been wearing it around the house and I'm going to the market this evening so I can't wait to show off my new accessory! Made from stuff I had on hand!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  3:21:10 PM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (familygirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have ten reusable bags that I keep in my truck to use when shopping. I also have one that I keep in my purse to pull out when shopping in the mall or farmer's market.

It is nice to have the bags so readily available."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  4:05:31 PM  Show Profile
Remi Davis (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I am just beginning to learn to sew and so I went to the Goodwill and bought a small jar with a lid. I dressed it up with some lace trim. I searched around my house for loose buttons and then found a bag that had been given to me from a yard sale. I put these in my jar, 90 buttons of assorted sizes.

I am now ready for some sewing and crafting projects where I can use my buttons. I love how they look in the little jar I bought - all things that were recycled."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  10:17:44 AM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"Hello fellow Farmgirls!

If you have been paying attention to the news lately with the green light of the GE Alfalfa seeds produced by Monsanto, you may be just as frustrated, or as angry as I am. I received this letter in my email box today:
http://www.organicvalley.coop/newsroom/press-releases/details/article/we-stand-united-in-opposition-to-ge-alfalfa/?utm_source=ff&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ff110201

There is a link at the bottom of that letter to take you to the Organic Trade Association which has a form for you to send an email to the White House concerning this topic.

I believe the voice of the people needs to be heard loud and clear, and respectively please. If you have a couple of minutes to send a letter via email, that would be great.

But I had another thought as I can imagine the glut of emails their system must receive each and everyday from thousands of people talking on all sorts of subjects.This is where the farmgirls need to rise up with their creativity and passion and send a beautiful handwritten note to the President about our concerns about the direction of the bio-tech industry.

You all are amazing with mail art, swaps, scrappin' and beautifying envelopes and cards, maybe it's time to do the same for our campaign to stop the GMOs from taking over our beloved Organic lifestyle. I think it just might make some heads turn when they empty out the mailbags for the day.

So, how exactly do you go about writing a letter to the President? If you go here, you'll get instructions on the address, how to be polite and respectful: http://www.ehow.com/how_4561907_of-united-states-of-america.html

Remember, be polite, respectful, thoughtful, FACTUAL and gracious! Farmgirls it's time to shine and do something for our country, our land and our families!

Farmgirl Hugs,

April

p.s. Here are some articles to catch you up with some of what is going on:

http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/2011/01/27/usda-decision-on-ge-alfalfa-leaves-door-open-for-contamination-rise-of-superweeds/

http://www.rodale.com/gmo-alfalfa-0"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  2:50:37 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Henkle (dhenkle, #1527) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I have read the Secret Life of Bees and have watched the movie trailer. My neighbor used to raise bees and I am very familiar with colony collapse disorder. This is a very tragic situation and because no one knows why it happens it is very hard to stop. I have planted many plants to attract bees because now that my neighbor no longer has hives I discovered that I miss the sound of bees busy at work and would like to have them back.

The bees are starting to return to my farm and I enjoy listening to them as I walk past my gardens or through my hay fields."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  2:59:03 PM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (familygirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"We have game night at least once a week. We have found many new and old games that the kids like to play.

We also read books together. Mom and dad read devotionals in the morning and the kids read stories in the evening.

The kids remind us about the games we have said we would play and when it is time to read."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  3:10:04 PM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (familygirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Families Forever badge.

"Last January I started noticing that when we came home from school or work we would eat, do homework, and all watch TV. We would watch CSI reruns and marathons. I had a nightmare one night about an episode and started keeping track of the time we watch this. We started not watching TV during the weekdays and only on weekends.

This summer we got rid of all TV's we have a projector that as a family we can watch a movie but there is no local or cable connected in our home."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  3:26:03 PM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (familygirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"I have printed and looked at several sites that show different grasses, weeds, and plants in our area. We have the picture and description.

We have started our own book "What is around us? Can we eat it?"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  3:30:48 PM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (familygirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Forage for Food badge.

"My family has become very interested in the plants around us.

We are taking pictures and marking the items we find around us. This will be part of the book we have started."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  3:36:46 PM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (familygirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I have made all the spice mixes in the Idea book. I bottle them up in small containers so that I can give them to other member to try. I did each recipe 12 times. I did not add the salt to the mixes as I know I have family and friends that are on low-sodium diets.

I found several that I am not fond of and a couple that I have made again. I will host a spice class for our local chapter soon, and I will send pictures."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  3:43:20 PM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (familygirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I have not made apple pie filling in many years, but last year I made blackberry pie filling and jam. We were able to can 12 jars of filling.
We also have a child that can not have brown sugar or red dye. We have learned to make our own ketchup for him so that he can have some with French fries. When making this ketchup we also made spaghetti sauce and just plain tomato sauce to have for our meals.
With some of the blueberries we had picked, I made blueberry vinegar. We use this with salads.

We are still canning and storing lots of food for our family. My daughter one first place with her jam this year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  3:54:13 PM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (familygirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"Every Thanksgiving (I'm a teacher and off for a week), I go through all my storage containers, make sure they have lids and get rid of single items. WalMart puts their storage containers on sale for Black Friday and I always stock up then. This is one item people are not fighting over.

This is done every year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  3:59:17 PM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (familygirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"When my husband I married almost six years ago we had our own kitchen items. As we started our new life together we have given many (all) those items to charity. We have every gadget needed to complete any task in the kitchen. We have had to expand our pantry so that we have storage for all our serving dishes, appliances, and canning.

We are very satisfied with our kitchen as we spend lots of time as a family in that room. I am now starting to replace pots and pans with cast iron."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  4:05:57 PM  Show Profile
Regina Wasson (familygirl, #1023) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"As we process our own meat, we know the importance of a sharp knife. I have learned several techniques to sharpen knives but have found that a hand held sharpener works best.

All knives are kept sharp."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  4:18:18 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"For the last years I have kept track of new foods we've tried, including organic foods.

Over the summer we grew our garden without any chemicals and started a compost for it. We ate organic veggies and fruits all summer, adding new items to the garden such as okra, Brussels sprouts, and asparagus. I've also given starter plants from my organic herb gardens to my extended family."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page