Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  4:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"After our summer garden season was over, we froze and canned what we had extra.

We have used our organic grown tomatoes, snipped green onions, squash, swiss chard, and other items in our meals last fall through the winter. We have also switched to organic milk, and bake with goat's milk (non-hormone)."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  4:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Patricia Nickols (#2414) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Using my own cloth bags came about as a result of some budget cuts. We have been looking for ways to lower food costs and found a store that we like and saves me money but they ask that you bring your own bags, they don't supply any plastic bags just boxes. I started gathering and making grocery bags. I now have six bags that I take with me when I shop, I am feeding my family, saving some money and I'm not using plastic.

It was hard to get into the habit of grabbing the bags every time, it's easier if they are just in the car. Now it's second nature and it makes me feel good about myself. I'm doing something positive, and I have also found it's actually easier for me to carry groceries this way then lugging a bunch of small plastic bags."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  4:47:24 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (#837) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I ordered 40 different heirloom seeds to begin my garden this year. I read "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds," and I am planning most of my plantings to be heirloom - way more than 5%.

I am optimistic about the outcome for this year's garden. I have studied several different vegetables, and have planted seeds in trays to get started on the season."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  4:52:33 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (#837) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"Last year I planted heirloom luffa seeds. I harvested one luffa too soon, and it was wasted. I left the other on through the winter, and harvested it last week. I saved the seeds from it, and have already planted them in flats for a new crop this year.

I studied seed saving in the "gardening with heirloom seeds" book. The method recommended was to put the seeds with pulp in a jar, cover with water and shake. Allow it to ferment a couple of days and the "good" seeds will settle, bad ones will float. Then discard all the floaties, and allow the good seeds to air dry without molding.

I am almost 100% planting heirloom seeds this year. The exceptions are potatoes, onions, and garlic.

Looking forward to seed saving and the bounty from the garden."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  10:32:00 AM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (#837) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"Hosted a bakeover takeover for our farmgirl monthly meeting. I made the potato, asparagus bakeover. There were five different bakeovers that we tried. They were all good.

I am shopping more fresh vegetables and fruits, and eliminating chemicals and processed foods slowly but surely. We have made several changes in our diets, and working on more to come.

We are eating better, and I am spending more time making whole foods and fresh from scratch foods."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  10:42:00 AM  Show Profile
Remi Davis (Cibola, #2547) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"In decorating my home green I have always re-purposed things. We moved into a home 3 years ago and our bathroom did not have a place to store towels, etc. So we had a sofa table that we had no place for. I used the sofa table and bought three baskets to put bathroom things in: washcloths, electric razors, bath soaps, etc. In our move I got rid of years of accumulations and kept only things we really needed.

Downsizing to a smaller home helped us simplify. We kept only the things we needed. We shop at thrift shops for furniture and use our imagination. I love being creative and it has helped us save money. We have given alot of things to our children - things they can use in their own homes."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  11:49:49 AM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (#837) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Organic On a Budget badge.

"I bought the whole wheat budget mix. I have used it for the bakeover that I took for my chapter. I have also made biscuits with it.

I have a grocery budget, and am following it. When I shop, which is less often than it used to be, I am shopping more the perimeter of the store versus the aisles. I am also shopping at whole foods as well as local farmers markets.

Spending much less time at the grocery store, and I am spending more time in the kitchen preparing wholesome foods."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  12:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (#837) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Organic On a Budget badge.

"I am using the budget mix for more items. I am making my own budget mix from my whole wheat that I grind up fresh.

I have made my own corn bread mix kits with home ground corn and home ground whole wheat flour. I made three mixes with all dry ingredients, and a few more baggies of ground corn. They are all in the freezer for the next time I need corn bread.

I am planning menus out for about three weeks at a time, and am incorporating more budget mix recipes.

I am shopping at whole foods when I can't get to the local farmers market, and since I don't have produce coming in from the garden yet.

We have more exciting food around here! Enjoying fresh steamed organic vegies with our meals, and in our bakeovers."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  12:21:14 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (#837) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"I began trying a new organic food each week beginning December 1st, 2010.

OMG! It is amazing how delicious good, fresh, organic produce is! We are enjoying this venture!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  12:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (#837) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I love looking at beautiful horses around town. I used to have my own horse, and my daughter had one too. We loved riding together and taking care of them too.

Mostly there are quarter horses around here. My favorite horses are palominos and black horses. Bay is a close favorite too. I really love all horses.

I loved the smell of horses! Ours were allowed to pasture on 60 acres, and we kept them in a stall at night. So, they smelled like fresh air! Horses are a lot of work, but well worth it! My health and physical condition doesn't allow me to ride or care for a horse any more, but I still love them.

I fulfilled a childhood dream of having my own horse. I spent many quality hours with my daughter on horseback riding around our property and on trail rides."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  12:53:33 PM  Show Profile
Jill Arthur (Clickinchicken, #1989) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"My mum taught me to knit many years ago when I was a teenager. When it was no longer "fashionable" to wear home made garments I put my needles away and did not pick them up again until my good friend Cindy learned to knit. Since then I have rediscovered the joys of knitting. :-) For my beginner project I chose to make a hat for my friend's grandson (they are going to Paris in the spring and want to be sure they don't lose him in crowd). I chose a knitpicks pattern by Megan Hall. Using size 7 double points and Lime Green I Love This Yarn, from Hobby Lobby, I made the Area 51 Alien hat. Then in order to complete my merit badge, I taught my daughter to knit. She used size 35 needles and Lion Brand Thick and Quick yarn to make a scarf.

My friend loved the hat that I made for her grandson!! The hat was simple to do as it was done all in the knit stitch (which surprisingly turns into stockingette stitch when worked in the round - haha) The little antennas/eyes were a little tricky but turned out quite cute. My daughter loves her scarf and can't believe she made it herself.
:-)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  1:28:59 PM  Show Profile
Jill Arthur (Clickinchicken, #1989) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I have been crocheting since I was a little girl. I was taught by my grandma during summer holidays when I would stay with her. For my beginner project I chose to make a granny square baby blanket using pink I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby on a J hook. The blanket is a simple double crochet stitch. Encouraged by her success at knitting, my daughter wanted to learn the art of crochet. We worked on chains, single crochet and double crochet. For her project she is working on a round bag to put her training gear in.

The blanket is soft and snuggly. Usually I leave the edge alone but for this project I did a simple fan border (sc, hdc, dc, hsc, sc in the same st, then miss the next ch st and continue around). My daughter thinks she prefers knitting to crochet!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  1:38:59 PM  Show Profile
Jill Arthur (Clickinchicken, #1989) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"It is funny to think that back in England, where I grew up, everyone took their own shopping bags with them every time they went shopping. When we moved here and groceries were packed in paper sacks for us, we felt silly taking our own bags. I quickly got out of the habit of taking bags with me. I purchased 6 reusable shopping bags from Tom Thumb months ago. Sometimes my husband and I would use them and sometimes we would forget. Then Tom Thumb had a big publicity day "Did You Remember Your Bags?" They painted it in the parking spots at the front of the store. My husband and I have a rule that we can't park in one of the front spots unless we have our reusable bags with us.

As we have been experiencing a colder than normal winter this year you can bet that the bags are the first thing that go into my car. On top of my shopping list I write "Did you rememeber your bags?" It has proved a very successful tactic. :-)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  2:02:01 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"Watched the trailer today. Have seen some other programs that have dealt with same issue in popular media. Several years ago, I planted a butterfly garden, seems that those flowers also attract bees. "The Secret Life of Bees," is a fun, but sobering book."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  12:17:19 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"Having made suits for myself and my hubby, I have used many types of seams. Some of my favorites are flat felled and french."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  1:12:17 PM  Show Profile
Kim Wingert (#2164) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I began by writing down three things of gratitude every night. Some days I had more, some days just a couple. I decorated a 25cent notebook with scraps that made me happy to make it special for me. I faithfully recorded my little gratitudes for over a month.

I loved it. I began to enjoy looking for things to be grateful about throughout the day. I found I not only wrote in it, but I began to paste memories in it--a wrapper from candy my daughter shared with me, a card from the restaurant where I went with my best friends, a brochure from an event...I began to elaborate on my gratitude and savor the details. It helped me to see that every day is a blessing and holds so many little surprises!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  1:19:57 PM  Show Profile
Kim Wingert (#2164) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"Although I have pieced I have never acutally quilted before. This time I really needed a quilt to cover up our tv in our living room. After looking all over for inspiration I finally found a 1" picture of one of the Gees Bend quilts and decided to copy it! New concept for me! I eyeballed it and did the best I could to duplicate the apparent randomness of the patches, and the colors. I had never quilted before because the classes on hand-quilting I signed up for were always cancelled--so I taught myself! It took me hours and hours! I thought it would be easier than it was!

I decided to use the quilt as a beginner's quilting sampler--as the quilt has vertical stripes and a few squares I was able to try out different stitches in the different stripes. One of my daughters was calling it ugly, and I was afraid it was--but really once up on the wall it does its job of hiding the tv and I do like it in our room. I scrambled like crazy to get it done by Thanksgiving and was so happy I did."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  1:30:22 PM  Show Profile
Terri Heinz (artfulsister, #2550) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I kept a journal of thankfulness for the month of January. Each day I wrote about what I was truly thankful for. I wrote out my appreciation of loved ones, my home, my health, our families health, my art, our country, things that bring me joy...all kinds of everyday gratitudes.

I have always journaled, taking breaks from time to time. I was able to end a break with this journal, and I found that I really missed it. Writing out my gratitude each day helped me to be more clear and insightful about how I wanted my day to go. When I wrote at night, it brought me a sense of peace before I slept."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  1:35:34 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Bruce (daisydawn, #2531) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I cleaned out the "plastics" portion of my kitchen cabinets and threw away all the odd pieces.

Great! I'm afraid to say that before I did this things were falling out of my cabinet because I didn't have enough room. Now it's organized & clean. Yay!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  1:39:54 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Bruce (daisydawn, #2531) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have a flock of 10 hens and 2 roosters. I have been collecting 5-7 eggs a day. I have a variety of breeds (barred rock, leghorns, Andalusian, black australorp) so we get a variety of egg colors (shades). Since I have raised these chickens since Easter 2010, I spent some time with my chickens to earn this badge. I cleaned out the henhouse really well, cleaned all waterers, and made sure that the henhouse & fence were structurally sound.

Great! I love having chickens and fresh eggs. I have been researching breeds so I can add to my flock this spring."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  1:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Michele Preston (batznthebelfry, #2622) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"Started raising chickens for eggs but ended up taking injured or sick chickens from other people as well. I now have 2 coops plus an indoor ER set up in my dining room. I decided after much research & reading that I needed to do more than just feed them chicken feed so now on their list is Wheat germ, cracked corn, cornmeal, flaxseed, 7 grain mix,sunflower seeds,rolled oats, Stone ground oats plus homemade yogurt, kefir & powdered milk. They also get chicken vits at least once a week, 7 during the cold months they get one warm wet meal a day.

I have the most wonderful tasting eggs! I was never a big egg eater until I started raising my own. Plus my Chickens seem very happy with their living arrangements. I built the big coop for the healthy girls which I will do a merit badge on later. I love my chickens & can't see myself never having them in my life."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  1:50:32 PM  Show Profile
Michele Preston (batznthebelfry, #2622) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"My neighbor & I have been doing this for the last year & when we get one for ourselves we always buy a second one for each other. I have about 13 bags in different colors & sizes & use them not only for grocery shopping but for the library & even have one set up just for my chickens medical supplies.

I learned this way back in the 1970's living in Oregon but most places won't let me use my own bags until the 'craze' happened. I love having them & always thought they were a good idea. I try to stay away from plastic since its so hard to recycle."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  1:56:34 PM  Show Profile
Michele Preston (batznthebelfry, #2622) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"A few years back I found I had allergies to a lot of cleaning supplies....it was the smell that gave me migraines so I started reading about natural cleaning supplies & found that vinegar has become my new best friend. I have turned 2 friends & a sister on to getting rid of the bad cleaners & making use of vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda & salt to do a lot of their cleaning.

I am now making my own powdered laundry soap & also using soap nuts. I also use the vinegar in the chicken coops as well as they don't mind the smell & I know that if its safe for me they will be safe also. I have found that I have less allergy migraines since I gave up all the cleaners & gone natural. Plus it makes me feel good to know that my household is now safer & that of my friends & sisters."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  2:02:29 PM  Show Profile
Michele Preston (batznthebelfry, #2622) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner and intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I taught two neighbors how to make their own powdered laundry soap using baking soda, borax & unscented soap flakes. I also taught one neighbor how to make lye soap the old way by rendering the fat. I gave my sister lots of books & articles on clean safe cleaners with recipes for her to use in her own home. I encourage everyone I know to switch from chemical cleaners to vinegar, baking soda, salt & lemon for cleaning & even teach them how to make them.

So far it has been wonderful, I now have 3 friends using the vinegar instead of bleach on their floors (they all have small children). One neighbor has gotten rid of all her 'bad' cleaners & so has my sister. I no longer ever buy or use anything that can harm my family or pets. I also have a nice library of books that I can turn to if I am wanting to try something different. I also invested in some natural herbal oils such as cedar & lemon to add to my powdered laundry soap. The cedar I use for blankets before I store them after the winter. I also use the cedar for the dogs bedding."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  2:55:22 PM  Show Profile
Rene Robinson (#950) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It badge.

"I made my own garden raised bed out of plastic lumber - I chose plastic lumber because it would last forever, and it didn't have any arsenic in it like green treat, which would leach into my food. I did have some help sawing the angled corners by our neighbor. But I did the rest!

It turned out wonderfully."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page