Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  5:16:12 PM  Show Profile
Carla Garner (Phonelady, #1168) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"I interviewed my 91 year old grandmother Effie Bro McNutt Espinosa.
The interview results where typed up and distributed to family members. A copy was also saved in the family scrapbook for future generations to read.

I learned about her young life and the effect the Great Depression had on her and her family.
Grandma Effie has a great sense of humor and a straightforward way of talking, so I learned much about my dad's side of the family and even got to copy many of Grandma's family pictures (my brother looks just like my Dad when he was young!)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  12:30:27 PM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I began a journal in late December of 2009 and identified some areas where I could offer my time. As a chapter, our sisterhood decided to take on our local Mountain Wear. Mountain Wear is a service where people drop of their used clothing and the clothes are sorted and made available one day a month for free to any person regardless of need. Monthly, I attend with my chapter. I donate much of my own used clothing, and help sort, fold, and arrange the room for the day that it will be open to the public. We do this on the second Friday of every month. (excluding june and july) We have been doing this for a year now, and I feel like even though my task is simple, it does a lot for our community. It's rewarding to know that clothes will get a second life and it's helping people that I care about, my community of neighbors.

Our presence working with this organization has helped them de-clutter, keep up on new donations, and offer the best quality of clothing by sorting it beforehand. I continue to donate my time to this organization and am working towards my next level badge."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  12:45:27 PM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"An issue that is currently present in my community is the issue of our two elementary schools closing and restructuring into combined sites. I contacted our principal that I serve on the site council with and requested to be part of whatever team might be forming to help with the transition. I was chosen to be a representative from our elementary site to serve on the "TAC" Transition Advisory Committee for the next 9 months. Our job is to communicate decisions made, and brainstorm ideas to aid in this important time. I take parent concerns and suggestions and present them to the committee.

This is an ongoing issue, and I feel very good about serving on this committee. It keeps me informed, and allows me to help shape the way my child and other students will assimilate into the new climate and culture of changing school sites."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  1:06:15 PM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Plant It Forward badge.

"The past summer I joined a co-op of 10 families that grew specific vegetables to share the bounty with each other. What was left from that sharing, I took to our coffee shop and shared with families and customers who were happy to receive fresh vegetables at no cost.

It was wonderful to have so many fresh vegetables. I did a lot of canning and preserving of the harvest for myself, and shared jams, jellies, and relish preserves with friends as well. Not only did I stock my own pantry, but it felt gratifying to help others stock theirs."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  1:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner and intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"I have been encouraging my family to go for more organic food after watching the documentary, Food Inc. So far we have tried organic milk, organic chicken, organic broths, organic pasta noodles, organic veggies that are in season for the time, organic snack mix, and organic bread. Many, if not most of the items have become staples in our home. I have encouraged families to make the switch. People who visit our home for meals are fed what we eat, so they are trying it for themselves and finding that they like it. The biggest complaint I hear from people about switching to organic is the cost...yet we put almost $4 gal gas in our cars. It has encouraged some friends to start their own gardens so their pocketbooks aren't affected nearly as much.

The milk and bread have been my personal favorite switches. The milk tastes amazing, I had no idea what I was missing and the bread is delicious. With most things I don't notice a taste change, but I certainly feel better about knowing what I'm putting in my families belly!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  2:10:26 PM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner and intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"This was sooo much fun! I took a day and went through all of my kitchen cabinets, pantry, and storage closet! Wow the things I've accumulated over the years. It felt so good to purge things I didn't use, and hand off things that someone else could put to better use! The only thing I added to my collection was a waffle iron. I decided I needed it to earn another badge because I want to get away from processed "frozen waffles" to making my own and freezing them for a quick morning breakfast. I also added new canning supplies to my artillery, and a pasty blender. I know over the years I will probably purge more, and add more. As I evolve as a cook I am learning what things I really need, and those things that I don't!

I love it! My square tuperware is in one container, my round ones in another...they all have lids, and all of my drawers close!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  2:36:14 PM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I had a beautiful garden of lebanese squash, cherry tomatoes, garden tomatoes, cucumbers, and climbing beans. My husband built my raised beds for me and we planted everything but a few tomatoes from seed. I didn't use any pesticides at all and my garden thrived! Everything was set on a drip timer to conserve water (we have a very low producing well) I plated marigolds around some of the plants to encourage healthy bugs and pulled weeds by hand as necessary! Honestly, I did not read the book because my local and county library does not have a copy and the only one I could find was on Amazon for a very pretty penny. I did read the reviews on the book, and learned that the pictures are beautiful and very inspiring.

I plan on having a garden again this year with even more variety! I can't wait to work on my badge regarding heirloom seeds and growing those plants."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  2:49:53 PM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have had a composter in my yard for 2 years now. I feed it along with my chickens my kitchen scraps, coffee grounds/filters, leaves, grasses, egg shells, and garden clippings. I read the book, "Worms Eat My Garbage" and found myself excited over the idea of raising my own worms! I'm not sure when I will venture into the worming aspect of composting, but hope to do it soon because they will add so much to garden. I loved how Mary Appelhof diagrammed her book. I learned so much about the anatomy and reproduction of a worm that I never knew!

I am still very happy with the way I compost currently, but hope to add a worm compost to our list very soon!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  2:59:37 PM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"Here is the link to the event where we sewed our half aprons. I just realized I did not take a picture of me making my apron! I'm the one behind the camera. Sheesh. However, I did make one, beautiful with little chicks all over it.
http://mountainfarmgirls.blogspot.com/2010/03/sew-crazy.html

If I ever make an apron like this again, I will probably try to back it or line the apron because the fabric I chose was so thin that it wrinkles like crazy so it's not one of my "go-to" aprons."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  3:06:11 PM  Show Profile
Joni Lloyd (Joni Lane, #873) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"This year I canned jellies and relishes to give as Christmas gifts to all of our extended family. The only gifts we purchased were for our children. We had a live tree and decorated it with our favorite ornaments and added a string of popcorn and a couple of applesauce cinnamon baked ornaments.

It was incredibly less stressful to have the majority of my gifts done by September! Everyone seemed to love the canned yummies, and I've even gotten a few empty jars returned to me to use for next year!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  3:11:25 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger (grammytammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I sorted out my "plastic" cupboard. Found mostly useful items. Now it is all organized and easier to find things.

I have a few more places I need to continue doing this process. It was surprisingly enjoyable."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  3:19:56 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger (grammytammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"On a recent airplane trip, I had plenty of time to enjoy reading "Bee's Natures little wonders" on my Kindle. Interesting look at a community working efficiently.

I will consciously be looking for raw honey when I buy."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  3:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger (grammytammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level ChillOver ComeOver badge.

"I don't belong to a Farmgirl group so I made the brown sugar/ vanilla chill over for my quilting group. I served it in Pot d'creme pots for an extra special look.

It was a hit. Yummy, very rich. Everyone liked the texture too."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  3:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger (grammytammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"During the month of February I entered a gratitude in my planner. Most of the time it was really easy. It was hard to not repeat any.

It was a good exercise."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  3:42:54 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I purchased a pretty box at JoAnns to keep all my sewing supplies in. I have it setting next to my sewing machine on my sewing table.

It's nice to have everything I need in together in one box and it's easy to find items needed in a hurry."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  3:48:24 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I decided to open a "store" on-line to sell my crocheted, and other craft items.

I decided on a name, created a blog to sell my items, an e-mail for the business, and a paypal business account. It will be started out small, but hopefully grow larger. I am currently working on items to stock my store."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  4:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Lorrae Moon (Moonshines, #1649) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I started raising chickens in 1988, I ordered them through the mail. I picked a mixed bunch of pullets. I turned an old coal shed into my chicken house and built some nest boxes out of scrap lumber, and a roost out of small logs.

I had very good luck keeping them going and raising them to adult birds and reaping the beautiful eggs. I had a few to sell and was able to share with my family. I love keeping chickens. I get new birds at least every other year and decided to go with the buff orphingtons."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  4:08:00 PM  Show Profile
Lorrae Moon (Moonshines, #1649) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I learned to milk from my dad as a young girl, we had a family cow. I bought my first cow a beautiful brown swiss in 1988. She was the best and gave me 7 gallons a day. She grew old and had to leave. I replaced her a few years later with milking goats. I did not like the goats so well and this even surprised me. I love goats now and I am known county wide as the goat lady, I currently milk 5-7 goats daily. I have decided to be dedicated to the breed of oberhaslies. Very nice personalities and beautiful utters.

This has always been the best part of my day to go milk and when I am not milking I am very lost with out this time with the girls that I call the Diva's. They have become my life."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  4:21:02 PM  Show Profile
Lorrae Moon (Moonshines, #1649) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I raise all our own meat and have since I was a girl. I did not know what a good thing my parents had taught me and passed along. I raise along with my husband, and three boys, our chicken, rabbit, beef, lamb, and goat. We feed hay that is raised on the family ranch and grain purchased in town. I have had many opportunities to present and educate community members on the idea of local and naturally raised meat. I will talk at a Yampa Vally Partners meeting on April 14, 2011. I want the whole world to know where their food comes from and meet the farmers and ranchers that care so much about the well being of the animals.

I think that we have led a healthier life. It's not always cheaper but no additives or hormones added. We have met and made many new friends due to the products we have sold. Eat local."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  4:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Lorrae Moon (Moonshines, #1649) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I grow a veggie garden. I had to learn a bunch about making good soil in Moffat county. I believe in natural and no pesticides. I have coached many friends on how to build raised beds with home made soil, how to use a soap for the bugs. I still have a lot to learn. I do use a manure tea for fertilizer, coffee grounds, egg shells and well aged compost added each year.

I raise enough greens and root veggies for my family, and to sell at the farmers market. I even get a good crop of tomatoes. My family and I sit down to many meals that totally come from our farm/ranch. That really feels great."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  4:39:59 PM  Show Profile
Elaine Berman (#2882) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected 15 reusable shopping bags. They are in my car with me at all times. Not only do I use them for grocery shopping , I use them for ALL shopping. You name it - a trip to the mall, Walmart, Farmer's Market, Flea Market, book store, wherever - my bags come with me. If I happen to go out and I am not in my car - I have a fold up bag in my purse!

It has been great! I fit more groceries in my bags. Instead of 20 small plastic bags rolling around in my trunk - I use 10. Fewer trips in and out of the house! The fold up bag in my purse has been a conversation starter on more than one occasion! One time I pulled it out in the mall and the lady behind me in line pulled hers out, poked her husband and said, "See I told you it would be ok to use this here!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  4:46:22 PM  Show Profile
Elaine Berman (#2882) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"Beginning January 1, 2011 I have kept a gratitude journal. Every evening, before I go to bed, I take five minutes to jot down something I am grateful for. At first I thought it would be difficult not to repeat something in a month's period, but it was actually easy.

It has been wonderful keeping the gratitude journal. because I did not want to rpeat myself I had to think back on what the day had presented me. It is amazing how many non-material things I realized I was grateful for and how lucky I truly am!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  4:51:36 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Suit (kerbear #975) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have fulfilled the requirements for the intermediate badge for Shopping Green by no longer buying toxic cleaners now only using diluted vinegar to clean around the house including the hardwood floors. A friend suggested that I use diluted hydrogen peroxide to clean the tubs and it has worked great. I also use a biodegradable laundry soap and diswasher soap.

Changing cleaners turned out great. My family isnt having to breathe in dangerous odors from the cleaners any longer."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  4:58:52 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Suit (kerbear #975) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have fulfilled the requirements for th beginner Buttoned Up badge by collecting buttons that have been either given to me by my mother-in-law or those I have collected off clothing.

I have been enjoying my button collection by farmgirlin' my hand sewn items. I have also made cute magnets with the buttons for out refrigerator."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  5:03:37 PM  Show Profile
Elaine Berman (#2882) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"Beginning last October, I attended a volunteer meeting at our local ASPCA shelter. I went for two morning training sessions and then I was able to go in and volunteer my time to the shelter. When I go I usually begin with a quick visit to all of the dogs and then I head over to the catrooms. For an hour eveytime I go I socialize with the cats. I take them out of their pens and pet them and play with them. I have completed over 10 hours of service.

I have been continuing with my volunteer service at the ASPCA. it has been very rewarding to me. Not only am helping th ecats but petting them and aying with them is very soothing to me!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page