Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  5:12:47 PM  Show Profile
Kelda Reisman (FarmGirlonPark, #2886) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"To earn my Stitching & Crafting - Aprons merit badge, I made a half apron using the tushie from my daughters old jeans (which she volunteered for the cause) and 5 of my husbands bandannas (checked with him first, of course). The bandannas served well for a pretty and colorful ruffle, a belt and a shaggy rose tacked onto one of the pockets. My daughter was pleased and said she would like to wear it when she's cooking...it's all hers! :)

The apron turned out pretty well but my serger is giving me fits so the backside isn't as trimmed up as I'd like. That's ok...it's colorful and cowgirl swanky! I'm ready for the next Apron challenge!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  1:24:20 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Bleiler (Taos Lyn, #2702) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I've gathered up more than six re-usable shopping bags and now keep them in my car and hanging by the front door to remind me to always have bags with me when I shop.

This easy and nearly effortless change in behavior makes me feel I'm making a positive impact. I'll be saving a dozen or so bags a week just by making this commitment. Thanks for the inspiration."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  1:31:23 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Bleiler (Taos Lyn, #2702) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"Buttons! I've been collecting them for a long time. Applying for this badge encouraged me to sort through my collection and in doing so, I came across fun old 'friends' like that oh-so-wonderful bakelite green.

An old printer's cabinet turns out to be an excellent place for organizing buttons (see photo)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  1:44:20 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Bleiler (Taos Lyn, #2702) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I finally braved my storage container drawer, and took out all of the containers, matched those that had lids, and found so many extra lids that had no container, as well as a few containers that needed to go.

Everything fit neatly back into my container drawer and it was downright liberating to toss the extra clutter."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  1:58:56 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Farmgirl Legends for earning the Schoolmarm Cleaning Up badge.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  2:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We were taught how to milk a dairy goat, what to feed them, where to buy organic hay, and corn. We were also taught how to trim the hooves.

We purchased 2 purebred La Mancha goats with registered papers. We have already ordered our basic milking supplies, and should have another older female, already in milk, by early summer. We plan to use the milk for home use, and if we have enough, make goat's milk soap as well. There are plans to add a jersey cow in the future.

Photos of both goats are on my blog."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  2:29:43 PM  Show Profile
Christine Clark (#2737) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have 2 bags for 3 different stores and last week I went to my local grocery store, two of the bags were theirs, and actually remembered to take them in with me, they have been riding in my car for a while now, but this time I put them in the seat next to me so I wouldn't forget to take them in.

At first I thought I would be embarrassed to be using bags from other stores but no one commented, I don't even think they noticed to tell the truth. Everything fit into those six bags so no extra were needed, by far these were better than those plastic bags the store uses, which I usually take home twelve or more of, no more, reusable bags are so wonderful I will never go back to plastic!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  2:41:27 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Pidgeon (BrendaLou, #2818) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I am co-president of the East Ohio Handweavers Guild in our area and have hosted a woven tote project using recycled plastic grocery bags. We have approximately 25 members. We warped our table looms with scrap 8/2 cotton warp and prepared strips of plastic from the grocery bags for the weft. We wove in "handles" made from yarn, twine or fabric scraps and sewed the edges when we were done weaving to make a tote bag. These all came out looking differently depending on the colors used. They are completely recycled and washable! It took me 17 hours to set up my loom for this project. Most of the preparation was in cutting the bags and winding them on my shuttles to have them ready for weaving.

It took me 3 1/2 hours to weave my tote and sew the edges together after it was set-up. We all had a great turn out for this project. It was fun to see the different combinations of color. I was really surprised with the way my tote turned out - I love the color combination of the tans and blues! I am looking forward to making more of these for gifts."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  2:54:45 PM  Show Profile
Cathy Pyatt (Clevercottagefarmgirl, #2355) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"Detoxed my cleaning buckets, cabinets, and laundry. Had done so a few years ago, but redid and removed anything questionable. Wrote a mission statement pledging to "keep our home clean while keeping the planet clean." I constantly try to inform people of the dangers of the chemicals that we think "harmless."

Felt pretty good about how green I had remained for the few years since my last detox. I call it that because of a book that I read once urging the reader to detox the home while detoxing yourself. I also find that the green laundry detergents tend to actually do a better job of cleaning your clothes. My mother even commented on a piece that she had put into our laundry being much whiter than when she washed it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  09:42:03 AM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth (dandelionhouse, #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"I recently hosted a "Catch the Farmgirl Fever," gathering for a few of my closest friends and relatives as a way to invite them to join my Hometown Farmgirl Chapter. It was so much fun! I started by sending an email to my invitees a month ahead of time to get them warmed up to the idea! On the day of the event I decked out my buffet with all things MaryJane including my new autographed book by MaryJane. I laid out two copies of the Cluck, my sisterhood certificate and badge, bumper stickers, and merit badge certificates I have earned. I asked each guest to bring an organic snack or desert which they did. I created goodie bags for each farmgirl. I decorated the front of plain brown gift bags with scrap book paper and a farmgirl card in the center. In each one I placed a pack of note cards, a coupon holder and a small journal (farm related), I got them for 50 cents each at the craft store! I also included a form for our chapter, and a sheet of what is a farmgirl cards. I spread out every issue of MJF magazine I own on our kitchen table surrounding a fresh cut herb centerpiece.

We had a wonderful time. All the girls knew I was a farmgirl at heart but one gal hadn't heard of MaryJane's Farm at all, so I was particularly happy she was able to break away from her young family for the evening. She expressed an interest in earning merit badges too! We chatted about gardening, cooking, family, and building and planting our raised beds this year.
Everyone left feeling inspired and looking forward to the next gathering! I couldn't be more thrilled to have started my chapter and to have farmgirl friends to play with in the coming years! What a joy! Best of all, my mom was there too, her name is Joy!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  11:57:11 AM  Show Profile
Cathy Pyatt (Clevercottagefarmgirl, #2355) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I had several reusable shopping bags that I used sporadically, at best. Five of them were folded neatly and stored in one another in the pantry, right where I wouldn't remember them until I was at the grocery store. I put them into the car and purchased 2 more at Whole Foods, while shopping.

This purchase brought my numbers above 6 bags total, and, now I unload them and place them by the door. That way, next time out the door, I can return them to the hatch for the next trip to the store. So far, I use them at least 90% of the time."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  1:34:21 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner and intermediate level Grease Chicks badge.

"This is for both beginner and intermediate levels. My Dad made me learn basic car maintenance when I got my first car, before I was even able to go out on my first solo drive. I logged my mileage and fuel consumption for a month. As a result, I started running errands once a week as opposed to when the need arose. We live right in town and it's about 5 minutes to get to any store we could need, but all those little trips add up. Now I try to limit myself to one day of errands and order them so that I drive in a big circle to save as much gas as possible. This has saved me one fill up a month on average, which is $60! Yipee!!!

I know how to check and change all the fluids in my car and the tires. I also had to learn how to change my oil as part of my Dad's requirements for driving. I used to change my own oil all the time because it meant a big savings of that hard earned after school job money. Now it's still a big savings, but I have to admit it is way harder to do on a minivan!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  2:06:35 PM  Show Profile
Scarlett Winters (silver3wings, #2044) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"In my first steps learning about foraging for food, I e-mailed the extension office and talked to one of the program coordinators at the local food pantry. I also took notes on the foraging section of the book "The Urban Homestead" by Coyne and Knutsen.

I now have tons of notes on wild edibles. I also found a website that listed all the edible plants in my area. The food pantry clued me in on a Google Maps site specifically for foraging sites in my town. It is color-coded for season and shows where and what is around town to forage."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  2:23:29 PM  Show Profile
Scarlett Winters (silver3wings, #2044) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"My vehicle has always had a first aid kit, but for some reason, I never can find one in the house. So, I’ve made sure to have a fully stocked first aid kit for the upstairs bathroom and a fire extinguisher in the hallway. Downstairs, I have another fire extinguisher in the kitchen and an emergency preparedness backpack with first aid supplies for the kitchen/utility/bathroom. I even bought some of MaryJane’s Outpost vittles as emergency food rations.

I’m feeling so much safer that I was inspired to post a community blog on emergency preparedness with a list of resources."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  2:40:55 PM  Show Profile
Becca Goodman (#2889) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I researched the gun laws and studied them . I also researched the gun I wanted and went for it. Now I have to wait my waiting period and then comes the gun range."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  2:47:49 PM  Show Profile
Beckyann Robison (#2868) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a half apron, with two built in pockets.

It turned out beautiful, except it was too narrow for me. So my daughter who just got married, I'm going to give it to her as a surprise. The apron has two layers, the first layer is lavender and the top layer is flowers with pastel colors, and around the pockets I sewed on lavender bias tape. The pockets are basically holes in the top layers of material."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  3:07:19 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We started buying locally raised chickens, which are fed organic feed and/or free range. We have done this for the past two years. We are currently searching for a local beef supplier (organic fed), and will raise our own pig this summer. We also have plans to raise our own meat chickens. We have located a local organic hay supplier, and have learned of a co-op where we can get organic corn and organic chicken feed.

I took photos of our baby goat and created note cards. I plan to purchase a better camera and use actual photos for the note cards vs. printing them from the computer, and possibly selling them. Last year we took photos of our pets and created Christmas cards for the family.

We also have plans to show chickens, turkeys, and dairy goats in the local fair."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  3:14:55 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Let's Get Physical badge.

"Our family has continued to renew our gym membership.

We enjoy working out with each other, and get a lot of physical exercise with regular farm/household chores. We plan to continue our exercise routine, by arriving at the gym at least 5 days a week."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  3:22:40 PM  Show Profile
Morgan Dickerson (greenmama, #1654) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner and intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I went through my house and got rid of any cleaning agent that was NOT natural.

I committed to not using any bags from the store and opted to bring my own, recycled ones instead.

I researched ways to clean my home green and found so many wonderful ideas, especially from MaryJanes magazine.

I have started making my own laudry soap using borax, baking soda and a natural bar of soap. I put the recipe on my blog www.marthaandmorgan.blogspot.com in Jan 2011 Becoming Mrs. Clean (the latter posting).

Great! Feel much better about cleaning...especially around kids and animals."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  3:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Dimino (laurentany, #1403) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I took a beginner crochet class which was offered through my local school district "Adult Ed" program. I learned several basic stitches. I then helped my 10 year old daughter learn a single crochet and double crochet stitch.

I was able to crochet many scarves as Christmas gifts, which my family truly appreciated! My daughter is now able to make simple things such as hair scrunchies and shoelaces. Its extremely rewarding to see my daughter gain this sense of accomplishment,not to mention the fun we are having together picking out yarn. I'm even crocheting dish cloths in Spring colors for Easter gifts!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  3:55:40 PM  Show Profile
Elaine Berman (embchicken, #2882) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"This was the perfect time of the year to take stock of and clean up in my kitchen. I repurposed many plastic containers without lids - I amusing them to sprout seeds. I found some appliances that I don't use and gave them to a neighbor who I know will use them.
Likewise I went through my pantry and any canned food items that were still good but I knew that I wouldn't use I brought over to our local food bank.

I have more room in my kitchen cabinets and the appliances and pots that I still have are easier to get to."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  4:05:10 PM  Show Profile
Pat Aicken (Columbine, #1465) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I have recently been making my own laundry soap, dish soap, dishwasher soap from Borax, Washing Soda and Fels Napa.

I love the clean smelling laundry it produces, better for the environment and so very cost efficient."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  4:10:45 PM  Show Profile
Pat Aicken (Columbine, #1465) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful
badge.

"I have been making totes from scrap materials. I found a need for many pockets for all my "stuff" I carry to work daily. I purchased a 5 gallon bucket insert (the canvas type will be built in pockets), and sewed it inside the tote.

Works great, actually more nooks and crannies than I really need. :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  3:41:55 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I been keeping a compost heap for a year. I put all my kitchen scraps in it. When I clean the hen house it all goes into the heap too. I try to turn it when I think about it.

My compost heap is a good place to find worms for fishing and I use it in all my flower beds. I love the way it has a rich earth smell when it's ready to use."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  3:49:56 PM  Show Profile
Breanna Helgesen (Breanna, #2507) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"We live in a horse community, so we daily pass by a number of breeds and colors. It is amazing how they are all so different! I own a horse. She is a sweet Appaloosa\Arabian mix and has been my best pal since I was 11 years old! Her name is Blue Angel. Through her and also going to a trainer I have been around and ridden different breeds and have developed an appreciation for their varieties.

Horses are amazing! If any of you farmgirls get a chance to be around a horse, don't hesitate. :-)"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page