Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  11:23:26 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie Hatton, (Farmerette of Kristina Nelson, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge!

"I stopped using anything plugged in like the television, computer, chargers, games, and I did other things with my spare time.

I now do more things other than electronics. "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  11:28:39 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I have thanked several people who are in the service industry, either by letter or in person.

Many of my letters were written after two of my children were in an accident, sending one to the hospital with her jaw broken in 3 places. Several people were thanked, such as the sheriff, the ambulance drivers, and others. I also wrote a letter to the editor thanking the good Samaritan who stopped to help the kids, called 911, and then me.

In the past, I have also written a letter to the editor, thanking the ambulance drivers, hospital, and the city pool employee, when my one daughter was knocked down by a boy. She became unconscious when her head hit the concrete.

In both letters to the editor I encouraged people to thank others in the service industry and overall."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  11:33:41 AM  Show Profile
Paula Purtteman, (Dandylee, #2195) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"In the past week I have sewn three dishcloths. One is for the dish cloth 'swap' in the forum, which is my first time participating in. I also was successful at following a crochet pattern using the single and double crochet stitch to create a star pattern. I also spent some time with my daughter showing her the basic crochet stitch.

My first dish rags had a few flaws, uneven borders due to not counting stitches. But I quickly learned to start counting them. My last rag turned out almost perfectly. :) I am excited to make more!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  11:38:01 AM  Show Profile
Paula Purtteman, (Dandylee, #2195) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I committed long ago to using reusable grocery bags and have done so for approximately two years. I have also used cloth vegetable bags instead of plastic.

Cloth bags work so much better than plastic. Sturdy handles and they hold so much more! Plus good for the earth. I love them!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  12:02:05 PM  Show Profile
Judy Bowsher, (jubow, #2497) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I wanted to learn some new walking techniques due to right hip pain which I was experiencing with even moderate walking. I followed the Chi Walking workbook program for one month, starting with three 20' walks a week and ending with four 30' walks per week. A few walks were in pouring rain!

The Chi walking techniques have significantly reduced the hip pain, so I am very pleased. I plan to continue following the progressive program for at least one more month. Also I must start biking to train for a 300 mile charity ride in June!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  12:18:04 PM  Show Profile
Paula Purtteman, (Dandylee, #2195) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Grease Chicks badge.

"On a regular basis I check the fluid levels in my car. I have also started checking the air pressure in my tires and keeping them at the proper levels."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  12:30:26 PM  Show Profile
Jackie Thurston, (BalancingAct, #2851) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I went through my kitchen cabinets and drawers cleaning out and discarding things I (we) don't use or haven't used in a very long time, or things that are broken, etc. I put items together that should be together. I keep and wash plastic "to-go" containers from when we go out to eat, accumulating a whole bunch of them within a years time. Those usually end up in the cabinets creating chaos. So, I put them all in a bag and plan to take them to the next family get-together to be used for left-overs being divvied out. For my drawers, I used small glass jars that fit in the drawers when they stand up to hold "like" items, such as rubber bands and corn cob holders, as you can see in my attached picture. I also used some empty cool whip and chip dip plastic containers with lids to put twist ties and other items, labeling the lids with a permanent marker since they are not see-through.

My kitchen is on its way to being the kitchen I once knew; clean, organized and efficient. YAY!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  12:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Jackie Thurston, (BalancingAct, #2851) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Make-do badge.

"My lovable dog got a hold of one of my flannel sheets and chewed a hole in it. So, after much thought and not wanting to throw it away, I decided to make a bath mat out of it. I cut the flannel into strips and proceeded to knit them together using a size 15 needle.

Now our bathroom has a cushy, absorbent bath mat my DH loves."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  10:44:28 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"A friend in another state recently moved.

I mailed her a box to welcome their family into their new home. In the box I included hand crocheted pot holders, two small and one oversized, and one chemical free bar of lemon verbena soap."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  11:04:21 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"I have earned the beginner level of this badge by reading the book “Dare to Repair” by Julie Sussman and Stephanie Glakas-tenet. For my “simple project” I decided to work through the book and do as many of the projects as were needed in my home. Part of this included locating certain “main supply” areas. I started with the plumbing section and located the main water supply as well as indoor shut-offs for outdoor spigots. I have changed the seat of the upstairs toilet, adjusted the flapper in the downstairs toilet, fixed a broken sink stopper, and (not in the book but needed doing), did maintenance on my water softener. For the electrical section (I HATE touching electric stuff!!) I scanned over the circuit breaker box and found that my husband and I have pretty much mapped that out. I can now cut power for work that we do in the house as well as fix a tripped breaker. I also changed a couple of fuses in the ANCIENT fuse box out in our workshop. I was grateful for the advice to keep one hand at my side during this work as this is something I did not know before and would have been tempted to have my second hand on the box as I worked. I changed an electrical outlet in my camper from a brown one (eew!) to white (aaah!). Appliances were next: I leveled my oven, cleaned out my dishwasher so that it would stop redepositing gunk on my clean dishes, changed the water filter in my refrigerator, lit the pilot on our furnace when we ran out of gas (I thought auto-delivery meant they came without having to be called!), and I cleaned the filters on my vacuum and air-purifier (not in the book but they needed it). The fourth chapter led me to repair chips and cracks in my household walls; remove a storm panel and loosen the sash that was stuck in the channel in a little used window in order to allow air flow during a nasty, dusty remodel project (notice the use of my new vocab words here!); and replace a doorknob in my camper so that I have one that locks now. The final chapter encouraged me to update the smoke detectors with new batteries; install a carbon monoxide detector (required now by our insurance); buy a new fire extinguisher and put it in a handy location; adjust the cords on my window blinds to avoid choking hazards; tighten a loose doorknob; and tighten the loose handles on my pots and pans. Some things I am planning to do are: install dimmer switches, wire a light fixture, change the shower head and faucet in my shower, and install a gutter system on the front of our house.

I enjoyed “Dare to Repair” so much that I ordered a copy of my own!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  11:09:49 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Carp-hen-try badge.

"For the intermediate level of this badge I designed and installed two shelving/organization units: one in my sewing room and the other in my daughter's room. My sewing room unit is a large set of shelves that makes use of a vacant space near the door. It gives me about 23 square feet of storage space that I didn't have before! I use it to store scrap fabrics; yardage; half finished projects (why do I have so many of these??); blankets and sheets to save for batting, backing, bindings, and other projects; and my baskets of goodies. My sewing room is now fairly organized.

I am very pleased with my storage unit!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  11:15:22 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Carp-hen-try badge.

"I earned this badge by gutting and rebuilding my kitchen and dining room with my husband. This included tearing out a wall (two layers of sheetrock with 6 layers of wallpaper between them, followed by plaster and lathe....all of this on each side of the wall!), pulling down ceiling tiles and then tearing out the fur strips and plaster/lathe ceiling above that, tearing out built in cupboards and old insulation (we found what appears to be a ceramic chamber pot in the ceiling with the insulation!!!), building a wall to encase the stairs, tearing out two layers of tile along with a layer of underlayment and plywood on the floor.

All of this has been accompanied by hours and hours of cleaning!

I have well over 40 hours invested already. I will soon install new hardwood flooring in the kitchen area with my husband and then we will shop for new cupboards. It looks so nice already, all opened up and with a new ceiling. It is exciting to finally do something we have been talking about for 17 years!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  11:29:31 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"Over the last six weeks I was able to attend the 4H Shooting Sports program for free with my daughter, and I have successfully earned my hunting certificate with a score of 98 on my certification test! My daughter is also certified now. This is a photo of her practicing carrying techniques with a wooden rifle.

I'll take that Woman-At-Arms badge, please!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  11:34:53 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Woman-at-Arms badge.

"I earned the next level of this badge by continuing in the Shooting Sports program with my daughter and learning how to handle and fire different firearms and bows. We have a total of more than 30 hours of instruction and range time invested. I earned my bowhunter certificate with a 98 on my test. I am now legal to hunt in any season in my state. Here is a photo of Ashley with one of the instructors during the bow shoot.

(A photo of me practicing with a pellet rifle will possibly appear in the 4H newsletter next month!)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  11:50:06 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie Hatton, (Farmerette of Kristina Nelson, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Outstepping badge!

"I watched birds, went hiking, and made a campfire.

I learned how to create a campfire safely, how to identify some trees and plants, and can identify birds in my area."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  1:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Hatton, (Farmerette of Kristina Nelson, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge!

"I learned how to milk a goat and I am now raising goats.

I learned things about goats that I didn't know before and will soon get milk for making foods."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  2:20:23 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Hatton, (Farmerette of Kristina Nelson, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge!

"I created a compost pile.

I learned what can and can't go into a compost pile, what will draw worms and what won't, and don't make as much garbage."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  2:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Henning, (mamahenning, #2492) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"For the past 5 weeks, my family has tried a new organic food each week. We started out with organic milk, then went to greens, flour, carrots, and this past week we tried a variety of organic raw milk cheeses.

We were really surprised how rich the milk and cheeses were compared to the store brand, conventional milk that we usually buy. The flavor was a welcome surprise.
We didn’t notice much of a difference from what we usually buy with the flour, carrots and greens when considering taste. However, it is April and those items are not in season here. We are looking forward to visiting the farmers market in the coming months to try local, organically produced products."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  3:09:33 PM  Show Profile
Carol Grant, (#1458) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I took a beginning knitting class at Jo-ann Fabric store. I made a scarf and two pairs of gloves. One for me and one for my husband. I am currently working on a pair of socks using circular needles from a book "Knitting Circles around Socks," by Antje Gillingham.

The scarf turned out great, it came in handy this winter. The gloves came out good but I did have to adjust the thumb on the first pair. It was too long. The socks are coming along I'm working on the sole right now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  3:24:26 PM  Show Profile
Kim Wingert, (kiminca, #2164) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I keep most of my bags hanging by my back door so when I leave home I will see them to bring with me. I have found when I keep all of them in my car I don't see them, and forget to bring them in the store with me. I don't want to ever bring plastic, especially home.

It has turned out well. My bags are big and strong, so I joke they are like Mary Poppins' bag--each just gets bigger and bigger. I have been carrying an African woven bag for a purse, so in the event I do forget my bag in the car my purse can do the job. I love not having to fold bags, or feel guilty about a sea of plastic bags after a trip to the store."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  3:32:28 PM  Show Profile
Kim Wingert, (kiminca, #2164) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I read some recipes and ideas in the chat room, poured over my stash of MaryJanesFarm magazine, and I also was able to find some other books and magazines, both old and new, that had non toxic cleaning suggestions and recipes.
(For example: Household Cleaning by Rachelle Strauss; Do It Gorgeously:Homemade and Organic Solutions for Every Woman's Life by Sophie Uliano; and Make Your Place: Affordable sustainable nesting skills by Raleigh Briggs.)
I talked to people, and found interesting articles on the internet.

I had a blast cooking up my own products (but the story is another badge...)! This badge coincided with my 16 month old nephew coming to live with us for a month so we committed completely and in short order. I was able to eliminate some toxic things right of the bat and simply use water, vinegar or salt. Some things I purchased until I could work out the recipes for my own cleaning supplies. (Not always easy. It seems some of the recipes I found were not very well tested.) I love using my own cleaning solutions, it makes me feel capable as well as safe and clean. "
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  3:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Kim Wingert, (kiminca, #2164) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I totally reformatted my storage space and idea of what it should be. I removed all of my plastic containers and their pesky lids, keeping only a sandwich clamshell and a couple of brown bag-able containers. I began finding old glass containers at garage sales and thrift shops until I had the small amount I decided I needed.

My husband is thrilled. He hated the plastic and how it would rush out of the cupboard at him and dance around in a mis-matched mess. Now I have a select group of glass that keeps on its lids at all times. It is easy and stationary."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  3:52:23 PM  Show Profile
Kim Wingert, (kiminca, #2164) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"I made a list of kitchen needs with the help of a couple of great cookbooks. I assessed what I had, and tried to really cut back on electrical appliances. If I could do the same thing manually I decided to give away the plug in. (I did keep some big electric things that I use for big jobs.) So with the pile of plastic from the beginner level I was able to give away a nice supply of kitchen items. I took this to involve food too, so I made sure my kitchen was properly prepared for business.

I gave some items away to our son who is getting married, some to a young woman who just got married, and some to needy families I know through other associations. I was happy to find good homes for these things; and happy to have a neater, more organized kitchen!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  3:56:52 PM  Show Profile
Kim Wingert, (kiminca, #2164) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge.

"My husband brought home a manual knife sharpener from a trip with a couple of new knives. I had always sharpened with a steel rod, So I learned how to use the new instrument and committed to using either one of them on a regular basis.

My son complained that our knives were dull before all of this started and I was embarrassed. I knew better. So the incentive was there for me. I have done a good job of regularly sharpening, usually every time I use a knife I give it a good going over before I use it. If I feel any pull at all I do it again. It makes life in the kitchen so much more of a pleasure."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  4:03:38 PM  Show Profile
Kim Wingert, (kiminca, #2164) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I knitted a nap blanket. It took longer than three hours--way longer--but I got carried away. I wanted to really feel comfortable and natural knitting, so I kept going. It was a simple knit, a few purls thrown in. I taught my daughter, who was 12 at the time, how to knit and she has gone on to knit a couple of scarves and her own little blanket!

It is not a masterpiece, but I had a mission to feel natural knitting which I do now. I had some imperfection around the edges, so to even it out I crocheted a border. I think the next level my daughter will be teaching me!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page