Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  10:22:42 AM  Show Profile
Kim French, (french08, #2997) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I am a patron of farm fresh eggs. We buy our eggs from two local farmers. We are also anticipating starting our own flock of egg layers in the very near future!

I am totally in love with the quality and the colors of these all natural eggs! How can you resist? They are fresh longer, usually bigger, and the colors are beautiful. Although I inserted start and end dates, I am hooked on these!"

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  10:54:55 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth, (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert Stargazing Chicks badge.

"I have been fortunate to have witnessed several lunar eclipses and one solar eclipse in my lifetime. I even made a solar eclipse viewer out of a shoebox which was fun and useful for the viewing. In doing research for this badge I learned that a 4:2 solar/lunar eclipse year is uncommon, (meaning that we have 2 solar eclipses followed by one lunar followed by 2 more solar and another lunar). We will have this pattern 6 times in the 21st century, beginning with this year (2011). The solar eclipses, all partial, will happen on January 4, June 1, July 1, and November 25. The lunar eclipses, both total, will occur on June 15 and December 10.

I learned that a “very young” moon is just our regular moon in the very first portion of its phases, and a “very old” moon is just at the last day of its phase. Now that I have a new pair of binoculars, (should be just right for novice viewing), I have been watching for these slivers of moon!"

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  11:10:11 AM  Show Profile
Kim French, (french08, #2997) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate and expert level Horse Dreams badge.

"I researched the Tennessee Walking Horse for this badge. We recently rescued two of these beauties. It appears this horse was bred from two other breeds by horse breeders located in the state of Tennessee! They were hoping to come up with a horse that could handle the terrain and hours of the work on plantations in the South. I was raised in the South, and thought that part to be pretty interesting. In 1885, the first TWH was produced. Even after automobiles came into play, this horse was still widely in use because of the road conditions in Tennessee. Pretty interesting, right? They make a great trail horse because of their stamina and demeanor.

It was interesting to read up on this breed, to say the least. They are a beautiful animal with a great American history."

Horse rescue farms are abundant, and new ones are popping up all over the place. A huge cause of this is due to the economy and people not being able to afford the horses any longer. I have donated well over the five hours required for this badge. We have taken in six rescues on our own farm. An easy way to help a rescue farm is by participating in an online auction. By bidding on items, you are helping to raise much needed funds to care for these animals that are suffering terribly. Any volunteer work that you can do for these farms are appreciated beyond gratitude. I read the book by Joe Camp called The Soul of a Horse. I laughed. I cried. The way his book was written was heartwarming and beneficial. I would highly recommend reading this book!

We have six rescues on our farm that now have a forever home. After seeing them, you just kind of fall in love with them. Our Arabian was starved his first year of life and now he's beautiful. Our two TWH were taken from a farm that ran out of funds and the horses suffered terribly. Our quarter horses came from a farm where their owner suddenly died and they needed a home. We have over 30 acres of land and these horses couldn't be happier! They run free, eat healthy from our green pastures, and are loved on a daily basis."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  3:46:39 PM  Show Profile
Janet Pinter, (Owwlady, #3128) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Know Your Roots badge.

"I talked with my Father (85 years old) about his side of the family. He had plenty of stories of his childhood but unfortunately didn't have any information past his Grandfather's name and profession. I talked with my Aunt Shirley, my Mother's sister and got a large packet of information on my mother's relatives in South Dakota. They have an annual reunion and have put together stories and pictures of past and present relatives. One name stood out...Ellen Philena Ingalls, my great great grandmother. To be continued on the intermediate level...

This turned out better than I would have imagined!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  4:00:02 PM  Show Profile
Janet Pinter, (Owwlady, #3128) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I set a goal to lose 12 lbs and cut out the sweets and ice cream. I didn't set a time because at this age, 59, it takes a lot longer than it used to. I'm just eating healthier and exercising more. My sister bought me a Wii game system and I bought the Wii Fit Plus program. I work out with it regularly and weigh in daily on the balance board.

It's been a little over a month now and I'm happy to say I've lost 5lbs so far. The Wii system makes exercising more of a game so I've been able to stick to my program better. Only 7lbs more to go!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  4:04:44 PM  Show Profile
Janet Pinter, (Owwlady, #3128) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Know Your Roots badge.

"I had learned that my great, great grandmother's name on my Mother's side was Ellen Philena Ingalls. No one had any more information on her so I went on Ancestry.com but didn't find anything there. I then went on the Church of Latter Day Saints website and there it was, all laid out for generations back to the 1100's and even earlier. Ellen was Charles Ingalls', of Little House fame, cousin. Their Grandfather was Samuel Worthen Ingalls Sr. I have been a big Laura Ingalls fan for many years so I was very excited to find a connection in my family.

As a result of finding this one name, my great grandmother's, I have found an ancestor, Richard Warren, who came over on the Mayflower. I have also found connections to royal lines and have found kings of England, France and Scotland. I learned that if you can connect to a royal line, those records have been kept in tact for hundreds of years. No such luck on my Father's side however so the search continues..."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  4:11:04 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Smith, (Boots, #1647) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Connecting Growers and Eaters badge.

"My good friend Jess is a farm wife and mother of four. Her husband tilled up a 40' X 50' garden plot for her this year (he either really loves her or he's trying to kill her), and she called me for a little help because she'd never really gardened before. I came over one afternoon and we drew out the plan. That night Jess went to sleep dreaming of seeds and called me from the local garden store the next day asking about potato seed and onion sets. I came out and we worked in the 90 degree heat, spraying each other with the hose to keep cool, marking our rows and putting the plan in the dirt, literally. I love seeing her so excited about the food she's growing for her family.

Well, I stopped by last night and things are popping up all over. She didn't believe it would work, but God made seeds to grow, and grow they will."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  4:15:59 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Smith, (Boots, #1647) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"My 4 year old daughter and I rent a farmhouse here in Nebraska. It's hard for me to articulate how important this place has become to me. It's a long story, so to save you some time, I'll just say that I have found the perfect place for me.

I write a blog about our life and have had a lot of fun documenting what's happening here through photography. Here are the links to 20 "farmgirl photos." (I also researched all the terms, but my camera is so simple, I don't think it has an F-stop function. It's one of those point, shoot, and pray cameras.)

Here are links to my photos:

http://bigandlittlethings.blogspot.com/2011/06/love-quiets-all-voices-but-its-own.html

http://bigandlittlethings.blogspot.com/2011/06/our-new-swing.html

http://bigandlittlethings.blogspot.com/2011/06/planned-disorder.html

http://bigandlittlethings.blogspot.com/2011/06/rhubarb-apricot-jam.html"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  4:22:26 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella, (Scout, #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"After researching cleaning products. I made a cleaner that I use on my counter tops, mirrors, basically any surface and I love it!! I also made my own laundry detergent I found on a blog - It works great and lasts a long time - I love the smell, it smells like the past - I have given it to several friends and they have asked for more!

I will ALWAYS make my own cleaning products now!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  4:26:38 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella, (Scout, #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"At our regular meeting we had a long discussion about the things we could do to "shop" green. We also watched an episode on PBS about what happens to all of the plastic shopping bags - very interesting. We planned ahead to bring reusable bags for a bag swap during our meeting.

We had fun swapping bags and learned a great deal about what the consequences are if we just keep using plastic throw away bags - they are banned in San Francisco which I think is fantastic and I hope that we see them banned everywhere in our lifetime."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  4:34:26 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella, (Scout, #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made a full size apron out of two fabrics - a solid pink and a pink toiler. It has a pocket and buttons which I used from my Great Grandmother's button tin. I wear it all the time and yes I wear it to my fellow sister's house.

I love the apron pattern, I picked it up at a quilt show. I was surprised how much fabric it takes to make an apron, a lot! I love the apron and I wear it all the time!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  4:38:31 PM  Show Profile
Jonna Nesbella, (Scout, #2452) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I made another retirement quilt for a coworker. I chose the pattern summer porch from a Quilt in a Day book that I have. Anytime someone has been at my home for the last two months we have had to "visit" while I was making this quilt because It had to get done.

She loved it! I only used scraps and fabric I had - all florals. The picture is during the process of making my rows."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  4:42:56 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Smith, (Boots, #1647) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I made a button bracelet for myself and another for my daughter.

Not too shabby! I love red, off white and turquoise together. Plus, I've been saving all those see-through elastic pieces that you find on some shirts. I didn't know what to do with them, but they work great if you want "invisible" elastic to hold your bracelet together. Take a look!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  4:49:09 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Hargon, (Boots, #1647) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Knotty Farmgirls badge.

"I watched Hallie's video about making a hammock and was completely inspired. I too wanted to tie knots with the self-confidence she possesses. So, my daughter and I made the hammock, and then we made the swing.

Well, I love snuggling with Nora in the hammock. As for the swing, we made do with the only reliable place I could find to hang a swing--the pivot stop! Take a look! There's a nice view, and Nora seems to be having fun."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  4:53:49 PM  Show Profile
Natalie Isvarin-Love, (natalielove, #2994) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I had already collected 6 reusable shopping bags and have been using them for about 3 years now on a regular basis (I have to admit that every few months I go without them at Whole Foods to get their handled paper bags which I use to put all my papers in for the recycling bin at church).

Very well - I love not having all these plastic bags accumulating (even though the ones I do get sometimes are now donated to a local public art project)."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  4:58:27 PM  Show Profile
Natalie Isvarin-Love, (natalielove, #2994) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"Last summer I decided to find an organization in the Greater Cleveland, OH area where I could volunteer in an art therapy studio. I visited three places: 1) The Gathering Place, which serves people affected by cancer; 2) The Art Therapy Studio, which works with a variety of populations; and 3)Hospice of the Western Reserve. I chose hospice and went through an intense volunteer training program in August. Since September I have volunteered about 100 hours helping with patients, arranging flowers, and in the art therapy studio. I keep a journal of my experiences there as I am contemplating an Art Therapy degree and the journal will be a good resource.

I love my volunteer work. Some people ask how I can work with the chronically ill and dying, but it is something I cherish doing. It is hard at times but it has taught me to appreciate life and to help people who are dying live the fullest lives they can until the end. I have been told that if I apply for a job there, I would be hired. But, with two young girls, I am content to stay at home and continue volunteering until the time is right to become employed there."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  5:03:18 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Connor, (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Carp-hen-try badge.

"When I moved I didn't have enough book shelves. So I took some I had and had previously made and added to them. Once done, I was still out of room for the DVDs, so I made this little unit that swings out. There is another DVD shelf behind it. It fit perfectly between bookshelf and entertainment unit.

I read Dare to Repair.

Great. I love that the piano hinge allows it to swing out. I have save room this way."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  11:15:03 AM  Show Profile
Kim Hazelrigg, (kimarie91, #3147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I've been collecting buttons for forever it seems. I finally put them into two quart jars to display, so I can look at them regularly. A lot are purchased for projects that never got done, salvaged from clothing too worn to share, and extra buttons from purchased garments.

I really like looking at all the colors and even the different shades of white buttons. My favorite thing is pouring them out and remembering exactly where particular ones came from - a favorite old comforter, favorite old shirts, etc. I found some that I remember buying for a project nearly 20 years ago!"

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  11:24:25 AM  Show Profile
Kim Hazelrigg, (kimarie91, #3147) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I poured out all the buttons in my colored button jar, and about 1/2 of the white button jar. I found some buttons with zebra print on them! The strange thing is I totally don't recall where those came from!! I noticed a lot of pink buttons, so went with a pink, white and beige theme, with the zebra buttons in there too.

I love it! It came out a little too large for my wrist, so yesterday I just twisted it up a bit for Sunday services. I received several comments on it and was pretty proud to say I made it :) Yeah! I love making things!"

"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  11:34:27 AM  Show Profile
Lorrae Moon, (Moonshines, #1649) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In The Garden badge.

"I made a green been trellis out of tiki torch stakes. The torches were broken, and were headed to the trash, when I decided to recycle and use the stake part, and string them with twine for the green beans to climb. I also found a ladder lamp in the trash, and took all lamp parts off, and put a sparkly bowling ball on top, and let the beans crawl up and it looks pretty good. I hope the beans like it.

Everything seem to be coming together nicely, and I saved this stuff from going to the trash. I hope it gets to be warm enough for the beans to grow."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  11:57:58 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Harzewski, (#2719) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I have a cupboard where I keep all my plastic container. I used an old dish drainer to store the lids on one shelf. On the shelf above i stored all the bowls, plated and other containers that I had accumulated over time. One afternoon I sat down on the floor and hauled everything out of the cupboard and matched lids with containers. Extra lids went into the recycle bin, and extra containers with or without lids went to the thrift store.

I love it! Now when I reach for a container there is one one reach. I don't have to conduct an archeological dig for either part. Easier to use and easier to put away."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  12:07:21 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Harzewski, (#2719) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I have watched the movie trailer for the vanishing of the bees several times. I understand that the movie will be shown in my area over the summer, and I am hoping to see it then. I have become much more aware of honey, and its benefits, while working on this. I have planted flowers in my backyard this spring, but between the cold and the heavy rains, they are way behind schedule. I also read the "Secret Life of Bees". I still don't know how I feel about this book. I am still processing it. Thinking about reading it again.

I haven't seen many bees yet this spring because of the bad weather. I do know however, that the bees Just LOVE our Rose of Sharon, and we get several different kinds of bees there. Not even our weeds are in bloom yet." :))
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  12:13:35 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion, (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Woman-At-Arms badge.

"I took the 10 hour hunter safety course as required by my state. After passing the test, I was given the necessary certificate to purchase my gun license.

I learned a lot and made a few 11 year old BFF's!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  2:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion, (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I read the interesting required book, and planted more than five percent heirlooms in my garden.

It was nice to ask my dad to share his seeds for the cause."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  08:47:48 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Harzewski, (#2719) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level First Aid badge.

"I took all the first aid kits we have and restocked them all. Then, with the extra supplies, I restocked our two bathroom cabinets. I checked our smoke detectors. One had a dead battery which was replaced, and the other just needed a good dusting.

So far so good. We haven't had to use the first aid kits yet, but I am sure as we go through the summer that will change...but we are prepared."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page