Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  09:14:40 AM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion, (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I constructed my ladder and trellis out of branches from my woods, and added colorful ribbon when tying together.

It was easy and fun, and money saving!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  09:22:14 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca Harzewski, (#2719) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I have been knitting for a very long time so my first project came from my dishcloth folder. It was a dolphin jumping out of the waves. It didn't go so well as I missed adding 3 stitches to the second half of the patterns. It showed me that even I can mess up and end up with wonky knitting. :) Unfortunately I don't know anyone right now that I can teach. None of the young people around here are interested in this sort of thing. They are more interested in their boyfriends, electronics gadgets, and TV.

You already know from above that I can knit wonky. It is still usable but I wouldn't give this one away although I would make the pattern again as a gift."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  09:28:21 AM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I started out by going under my sink and finding all the non-environmentally or green items. I pulled every bottle out and started to research which were considered green items. After discarding the non-green items, I started research on what I could do to replace them. To my surprise, vinegar and baking soda were top ingredients to make your own cleaners. I started a binder of interesting articles and in one section it is labeled, green cleaning. I pledged to only buy products that were a certified green or eco-friendly item.

It turned out wonderfully, now that all of my cleaners are environmentally friendly I do not worry as much about my family getting sick from fumes or traces of the products."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  09:33:24 AM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"I started on my power company’s website. There I found that 83% of the power my company generates is low or non-emitting fuels. Then 16% is unscrubbed coal and only 1% is generated by oil. Low or non-emitting fuels consisted of Coal, Nuclear, Natural Gas, Hydroelectric/Wind, and oil. I also found out that the company is purchasing power from solar farms, four of which have been developed within a 20 mile radius of my home. In the United States just under 4% of our energy is clean renewable energy. Although several people in my area have their own solar panels and thermal systems installed, they are expensive, but at least easy to maintain.

It was a very educational thing to find out where my electricity comes from. I was also surprised to find out that my company is just a branch company of a HUGE company. The same company that gives my parents in Pittsburgh electricity and my in-laws in Northern New Jersey. After reading the information and talking with the company, I would very much like to find out more about generating my own electricity, when we go to purchase our own home."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  09:39:31 AM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"To earn this badge I started my day, by day logging of my gratitude. After doing the entire month of May my favorites were:
May 13, 2011
I love looking out my front door and seeing the open field of winter wheat coming in. As the wind blows it moves and makes its own art.
May 26, 2011
I am happy for coffee, because some days it is god’s miracle morning drink.
May 29, 2011
I am glad to have such a wonderful husband, who supports me and my crazy and wacky ideas.

It was a wonderful experience to do this merit badge. It opened my eyes that there is always one thing that will make the day bright."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  12:59:12 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level I Should Have Been in Movies badge.

"I started this badge by finding everything to earn the beginner crotchet badge. I wrote down all the steps that I used to earn it, from learning how to hold the hook and yarn to learning to twist my arm and not just my wrist. I practiced in front of the mirror several times and got my bearing on my eye contact and how fast or slow I was speaking.

This was a very good experience for me. Sometimes when public speaking I can become over animated and talk to fast. Doing this helped me to slow down and make sure that my other self understood what I was teaching."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  1:07:29 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Harzewski, (#2719) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Knitting badge.

"For this project I made a baby blanket from green and yellow worsted. It looked simple enough. It consisted of a border of seed stitch with seed stitch strips alternating with stockinette stitch strips. I belong to a knitting group at church so I am in the company of other knitters at least once a week.

Until I got used to how the pattern was supposed to look, I did quite a bit of frogging and ticking. It did turn out beautifully. Baby Liam didn't think much of it at only two weeks, but mom and dad and grandma were thrilled. It made me feel good."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  1:15:35 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Harzewski, (#2719) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I picked what I thought was an easy patchwork doll quilt from a commercial pattern. I used my scissors to cut the pieces, and then sewed them into rows. Then I joined the rows together to form the quilt top. Then I added batting and backing.

This little quilt turned out ok, but I think it would have been better if I had had the right tools. So I have bought myself a good rotary cutter and a nice quilt ruler. I do plan to use the little quilt to practice some fancy machine stitches and possibly use it as a center piece for a baby shower this fall."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  1:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion, (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"Had a bag swap and gave a talk on using them instead of plastic.

It was nice to switch bags and discuss the harms of plastic with someone who feels the same way."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  1:34:44 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion, (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Build It Green badge.

"After receiving the beginner badge, I shared my knowledge with my Farmgirl Chapter.

As always it is joyful to get the Chapter together and discuss our ideas together!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  1:56:01 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack, (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level 3R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) badge.

"This year my husband and I took a good look at our tools. Using an article from Mother Earth News, the two of us sat together and sharpened the tools, and also cleaned them. We then oiled the handles with some linseed oil. When I started my seedlings this year I began to use plastic forks, spoons and knife handles to label the individual plants.

The markers did a good job at keeping the plants organized on the grow shelf. It is also really nice to go and grab a tool out of the shed and it’s perfectly ready for use. My gardening season has gone much smoother this year, and I look forward to many more smooth growing seasons."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  2:05:51 PM  Show Profile
Merrie Jayne Rheingans, (MerrieJayne, #3190) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I gathered 10 Fresh & Easy shopping bags and placed them by the back pantry door to be taken to the grocery store whenever we leave the house.

We have consistently used them for the last 2 weeks and have significantly reduced our use of plastic bags."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  2:08:25 PM  Show Profile
Tamara Burger, (GrammyTammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"Used silicone spray to de-squeak all my house and hubby's car doors. Also on his bike chain.

Squeak free!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  2:29:07 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion, (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"Watched required video and took notes.

I usually don't buy meat from the groceries stores anyhow. The organic beef is very DRY, remember that when cooking."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  2:33:35 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion, (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level What's Your Beef? badge.

"Read the required book and I know a farmer that sells his own beef.

I felt the book was very boring!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  2:40:29 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion, (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an intermediate level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I am continuing to add organic foods weekly and am keeping up with the exercise.

Some foods I will continue eating and I am continuing with the exercise."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  2:48:08 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion, (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"Made seven bean bags from my book and gave them to a church.

I enjoyed them and made several for myself."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  2:54:24 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion, (momofsome, #2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Safe Toys badge.

"Made a handmade doll and I gave it to my friends daughter.

It was nice to take a break and make a doll!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  3:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Winnie Nielsen, (Red Tractor Girl, #3109) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner and an intermediate level Aprons badge.

"For my beginner level, I took a vintage tablecloth and made up a half apron pattern. The main body of the apron is the tablecloth and the yellow gingham is from a bag of scraps. It took me a lot longer than 2 hours to figure out the pattern and then put it together correctly. I was really pleased at the final outcome. I have been wearing an apron in the kitchen but I wanted to wear one that I made.
The intermediate level apron was made by enlarging the FarmGirl pattern from MJF that came in the mail when I joined. The fabric is really old and belonged to my Grandmother, and was in my Mom's linen chest. Not sure if it is feedsack or just old. The second apron, from pattern making, to completion, was more on the line of 4 1/2 hours total, and I wore it over to my friend's house to meet and go for coffee.

My half apron turned out really cute and fits so well. The full apron pattern is a bit large around the neck so I will need to shorten that when I make my special FarmGirl apron with all of the embroidery. I am also not real frilly so I did not want my aprons to have that look. I wanted to use rickrack instead of binding tape for the look as well. The best part of doing this badge was getting acquainted again with my Mom's sewing machine, that I inherited, and on which I learned to sew at age 12. That 1958 Singer is so easy to use, and still makes great seams! I am so happy that I went to the trouble to bring it home when she passed. MaryJanesFarm is now getting me inspired to relearn my sewing skills."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  08:37:48 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner, (Montrose Girl, #1597) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Grease Chicks badge.

"I learned a long time ago how to fix a lot of things on my car, but since marriage and moving to the farm I have had to learn about tractors. They are a bit different, but I think easier because they don't have all the electronic gizmos on them.

My lessons have been sporadic as things break. The first being the fuel pump on an older tractor. We (hubby and I did together) had the manual out and read through the procedure, making sure we both understood. We had to bleed the lines of air after changing the filter. Changing broken blades on the mower attachments, not to mention the tire that allows work around the trees without damage. And tractor tires are a lot larger than car tires!

The hardest part has been to remember that many of the bolts are threaded the opposite of what I'm used to so it takes me a moment to get going. It's been quite the adventure learning about tractors, especially older ones where parts are tougher to come by."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  08:44:20 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"All my doors inside my house were squeak free but the door on my sweetie's car was squeaking like crazy on the back passenger side. We don't have bicycles and the tools are still in use now but I'll oil them when winter comes.

I got out my trusty WD-40 can and inserted the little red hollow tube and squirted away at the door jamb. It's better now but not totally fixed. I'll give it another squirt tomorrow just for good measure."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  08:55:43 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Grammar badge.

"Since I don't have any resident 13 year olds in my household, I have no idea what most of the texting abbreviations mean. I have figured out that MIL is Mother In Law but I have no clue what DH stands for. I've read that in a forum I go to frequently. I have my list of new words that I learned from my Master Gardening class - woo hoo, did I learn a lot of them!

I'm old school (60 years old) and write out everything in emails that I send, and all of my friends do the same. We are all what I call "wordsmiths" and simply can't use abbreviations and shortcuts. We just weren't brought up that way. The only exception is that we might just sign our initials at the end instead of our full names. We proofread our emails too before sending and bad grammar is one of my pet peeves."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  08:59:23 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have more than six reusable shopping bags that I keep in my car at all times. I use them for recycling as well as for whenever I buy groceries. After many trips back to the car because I forgot them, I now remember to take them every time I go into the grocery store.

Now I'm trying to train myself to take my bags with me every time I go into ANY store. But fear not! I have one rolled up in my purse that I can whip out any time I forget and go into a normal (non-grocery) store. I'm getting better at it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  09:03:00 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have found out that I can use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to clean my kitchen counter tops and sinks and together they kill 99% of all germs. They are completely non-toxic and safe.

I just threw out the last of my store brand toilet bowl cleaner. I was concerned that it would be better for the environment to use it a little bit over time to go into my septic system than to throw the whole thing away and have it go into a landfill and thus the water table in a concentrated batch. It's down enough now that I can throw it out safely. I now use Seventh Generation toilet bowl cleaner and laundry detergent."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  09:06:07 AM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts, (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I cleaned out all of the old cleaners of all types that were stuck under my kitchen sink and it feels really good. I wrote out a Household Mission Statement committing to using only green cleaners from responsible companies from this day forward.

I actually have put cleaner recipes on my web site, HealthyEatingOnTheRun.com so I have gone beyond sharing these locally. I hope I can make a difference with other people on this issue as well. I also have recycle ideas and green living ideas on that site as well."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page