Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  4:24:57 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"Our family has been making one-skillet, one crockpot or one dish dinners for several years. Here are links to some of the recipes made this last year!

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51971

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51869

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51884

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51872

We held a BakeOver taste test night tonight. My mother and I enjoy creating recipes to include more vegetables and fruits. Over the last 13 years we have explored new vegetables and fruits, adding more to our diet. We grew collards in the garden last year, but ended up feeding them to the chickens. This year, in February, we tried a dish with Collards. We try new foods every year, and I blog about most of them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  11:14:06 AM  Show Profile
Jo'Lee Tarkon, (alkorhol, #3189) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a half apron to go with my daughter's midieval peasant costume for the play she's in.

The costume director said it turned out just right, and my daughter looks awfully cute in it as well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  11:50:04 AM  Show Profile
Helena Weber, (HelenaMarie, #3029) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have started my own little flock of 5 chicks, which are now 3 weeks old. My husband and I built the coop ourselves, which turned out great, and will be a perfect home for "the girls"! They are growing so fast and should be ready for a permanent move into their new home in a week or so. I'm so excited! I feed them completely organic, and will not use any kind of chemicals in caring for them. They will be healthy organic girls!

They are growing beautifully, and seem very happy and healthy. They are also very friendly, and it is great fun to watch as their personalities develop and the pecking order of the little flock is established."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  1:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson, (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate and expert level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I posted 4 more BakeOver recipes to share with other Farmgirls in each category.

Although some of the recipes are not "created" by myself, they are ones we brought into our lives, that include many vegetables and fruits."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  1:30:27 PM  Show Profile
Monica Elliott, (#737) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner and intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I made two lap quilts for my twin nephews for a birthday gift. I enjoyed every minute of it and used new and vintage material in my projects.

The boys quilts were more simple, using bright colors and fun monster and frog materials."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  4:33:34 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Goad, (#737) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Let's Get Physical badge.

"I gave birth to my 5th daughter 10 months ago. The weight has accumulated and stuck with me over the years and the pregnancies. My ultimate goal is to get down to my ideal weight by my 30th birthday in 5 months. I spent my twenties being “bigger” and feeling uncomfortable. I want to look and feel great for my thirties! I used this badge as motivator to accomplish this goal:

My big picture goal is weight loss. I chose some smaller goals to help achieve this which were: A) to exercise a minimum of 4 days a week, B) to acquire mindful eating habits.

I kept both a food journal where I wrote down everything I ate that day, as well as a seperate overall “badge progress” journal. I used it to track my eating habits for the day and exercise I did, noted my weight loss, wrote tips, encouragements, and practice reminders I was learning along way.

I am proud to say my total weight loss for the month is 11 pounds!!!

I will be continuing my practices and going for the Let's Get Physical Intermediate Badge.

Here's some insights I've learned this month that will help me as I continue to the next level:
1)Be consistant with keeping a food journal. Even 1 day of not keeping track is a slippery slope to getting out of the habit.
2)that some of my unwise food choices weren't necessarily from lack of self discipline but rather from a lack of fresh fruits/veggies. I have to keep healthy foods on hand at all times to be successful.
3)I need to amp up my exercise duration/intensity if I want to continue my weight loss success. Next month I will purpose to increase my current 30 minute routine to 45-60 which will require I find a solution as what to do with my little one while I exercise. (My routine was only 30 minutes long because that was all she'd play contently on the floor for! She wouldn't cooperate for any longer than that. Perhaps during nap time? But being a mother of 5, I like--or should I say I REQUIRE-- my nap time too!)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  4:40:57 PM  Show Profile
Joanna Fedewa, (Tansyshy, #907) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"Let's see here, first, I researched aprons in MaryJane's book and a 1940s craft book I had. I found MaryJanesFarm instructions and 40s craft book to be nearly identical. Went to the fabric store, got two yards of fabric. Watched, Just Around the Corner, thought Shirley's apron was cute.

Decided to make a half apron to start with.
If I want to make it into a full apron later, I can.

Considering how I hand stitched the whole apron, it turned out very well. I am very happy with it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  4:47:58 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Medina, (#3148) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner and intermediate level Knitting badge.

"I have been making scarves for everyone in the family for a few months now. I wanted to try something a bit more challenging, so I found this adaptation of the Annis Shawlette that requires heavy beading. I have been working with a group of teachers at my school helping them learn to knit. We started our own knitting circle to exchange patterns and ideas and help new knitters.

I am very pleased with the finished product. It took about 30 hours, but was fun. The beads give the shawl the weight it needs to hang beautifully."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  09:33:18 AM  Show Profile
Monica Elliott, (#737) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Quilting badge.

"I have made a quilt that went to Russia a few weeks ago. It was a twin size quilt for a new baby name Eva. She is our missionaries daughter in Penza Russia. The time spent as around 80 hours give or take, I wasn't counting but assume. I sure love quilting, I just started in February, I love it!

The quilt for Eva was lovely, girly prints in pink, white and yellow. I used other colors in it as well. The deign was large pinwheels. The boys quilts were more sinmple, using bright colors and fun monster and frog materials. The hardest part was with Eva's quilt being larger, I had some learning to do as far as how to sew it all together and quilt it. But it all came together and is in Eva's hands in Russia, what a blessing.

I also helped a class of 10 students this last April and May. All young students of the homeschooling, taught them as well as learning myself. 8 types of quilting patterns and handsewing verses machine stitching!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  09:47:14 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker, (woolgirl, #1947) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I tried the ham and potato BakeOver with great success for my first BakeOver. I even got to use fresh herbs from my teeny patio garden. Deeelish!

Everybody here loved it, even my little one!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  09:52:10 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Baker, (woolgirl, #1947) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an intermediate level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I made up two recipes, one for a German BakeOver and a cheeseburger one and shared them with ladies on the forum.

The German one was AMAZING!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  10:05:22 AM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell, (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I been knitting for a while. I have never made a dishcloth before. As I was looking at the Magazine extras on the MaryJanesFarm home page. There was a pattern for a knitted dishcloth. I decided to see if I could made it. I was so happy with how it turned out. I made a few to give to my friends. My daugther was home for a visit and I showed her how to knit. It was kind of hard showing her how to knit cause she is left handed.

I am making all kind of dishcloths, and I am picking up a new pattern book when I go to JoAnn's or Walmart."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  10:09:50 AM  Show Profile
Christine Garard, (cgarard, #3133) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected 6 reusable bags and commited to using them.

I've been trying to remember to use reusable bags for awhile, but now I'm committed. I even made my own reusable produce bags!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  10:14:11 AM  Show Profile
Christine Garard, (cgarard, #3133) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I researched ways to clean without using toxic cleaners. I've commited to using only those products.

For some reason my husband has a little problem with me changing a few of the cleaners. Therefore, when the toxic cleaner bottles ran out, I just filled that bottle with my homemade stuff!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  10:19:37 AM  Show Profile
Christine Garard, (cgarard, #3133) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge.

"I've talked to others about why they should use reusable bags and non-toxic cleaners. I don't belong to a chapter, so what I did was make some extra bags to give to the people I talk to about this.

I talk freely about going green whenever I get the chance. My family probably thinks I'm a nut. For some reason I have found that my parents generation doesn't grasp the importance of this as quickly as my grandparents or my children. Everyone does happily accept my reusable bags-who doesn't like a gift!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  10:25:37 AM  Show Profile
Arline Nash, (picketfence, #3206) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"Start a button collection. Well, let's see... as soon as I started sewing... when I was 11 years old! Every project that I did, I saved the extra buttons and then, I have my grandmother's collection, some that charitable group gave me (boxes and boxes and boxes), some I've gathered up on my own from used-up clothing and I have my sister's collection, too. I have NO idea how many buttons are in my collection, but they are in gallon jars, quart jars, little wooden drawers and plastic divider containers. Want pictures? LOL! And yes, when I need a button or some buttons for a project, I look through my collection first. I'd rather re-use than purchase new. Absolutely.

The collection needs a bit of organizing. That might make it easier to find usable buttons. Right now they are categorized by color and that's worked pretty well. With so many, it'd be nice to have the ones that are alike all sewn on one card together. I started working on this but... alas! There are MANY other things to do and this project is low on the list. Maybe this winter?"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  11:23:58 AM  Show Profile
Arline Nash, (picketfence, #3206) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I know how to knit! I've been knitting for years! More intensely over the last 5 or so years but... LOVE knitting!

At the first of every year I buy a pound cone of cotton yarn and knit dishcloths until I run out of yarn. Since our oldest son got married, I doubled that. Last year, instead of buying a cone, I went through my yarn stash, collected up all the cotton yarn and set to work. I determined to knit dishcloths until I had used up all my cotton yarn. HA!!!! I finally hit my 60-somethings and quilt counting. I DID use up all that yarn though. The scraps that were left went to a friend who uses smaller bits for her projects. What a LOVELY stash of dishcloth gifts I've had this year. I want to do that (or something like it!) again this next year. Lots of colors, lots of fun!

I've knit at least four big adult sized afghans, numerous smaller kid sized one, one sweater, 5 pairs of socks, and too many hats and scarves to count..."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  11:30:43 AM  Show Profile
Arline Nash, (picketfence, #3206) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I think making an apron was the first project I made as a beginning seamstress YEARS ago, when I was 11 years old? It was a half apron. And then in high school home ec. I did another half apron. I can still see it in my memory. HA! And part of the scraps from that project are in the quilts I made for our kids. (great for a memory refresher, huh?)
As an adult homemaker, I really don't like half aprons. I need all of me covered and I need pockets. LOL! So the stipulations for any current apron project are full front coverage and pockets.

Last month, shortly after joining the sisterhood, I decided that I really needed another, newer apron. Out came the patterns and...

How did it turn out? Well, I used some fabric that I picked up at a second-hand store. I think it used to be a table cloth that someone made and used a lot. I whipped up a couple matching potholders too. And the binding around the edges came out of my extra binding stash. They were bindings I made for another project and had left over. FUN! And I LOVE my newest apron. In fact, I'm wearing it right now as I'm clicking away here on my lap-top! Wearing an apron has become a happy habit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  3:07:47 PM  Show Profile
Arline Nash, (picketfence, #3206) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"My husband calls me a bag-lady. I love bags and have a collection of Trader Joe bags that I use for shopping every week. They are large and strong. I really like being able to have just a couple big bags full instead of a dozen little plastic bags full. SO much easier.

I keep the bags folded with a rubber band around then in the van. When I go shopping, I take them with me. If I forget, I go back and get them. HA! That doesn't happen often, trust me! Even when I go to our farmer's market I take my own bags. Those bags are recycled denim ones and a couple hand knitted ones, (boy those knitted ones will stretch like CRAZY! You won't believe how much they will hold! HA!) I've even made little muslin bags to put produce in. I love my bags!

This is one of the best ideas ever. Okay, maybe not but it's one that brings me a great sense of well being. Any plastic bags that manage to find their way into our home are used for trash bags or even better, they are gifted to a local farm stand and they reuse them with their customers."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  4:26:28 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca McGinnis, (Sister Becky, #2598) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge.

"My friend Pat taught me how to tat. I also watched a video on the internet for projects. I learned double stitch, picot, ring, chain, split rings, and Josephine chain. In addition to the four feet of tatting, I have now made a flower pendant and a bracelet.

The stitches were very simple but I had trouble pulling off the stitches at first. It was easier after watching the video online. Tatting is so fun to do and it's small enough to take anywhere to work on."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  4:35:37 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca McGinnis, (Sister Becky, #2598) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"My friends at craft night taught me how to crochet. I have made several dishrag sets and gave them away as gifts. I have taught my daughter how to crochet.

When I was away from my friends on craft night I needed help so I turned to the internet for tutorial videos that helped also. I folded the dishrags and tied a set of two with a ribbon and they made cute gifts. I love to crochet!" :)
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  4:40:03 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca McGinnis, (Sister Becky, #2598) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have put together a sewing kit with a homemade pinkeeper. The kit has a variety of colors of thread, three different sizes of scissors, needles, straight pins, and safety pins. I have all my buttons in one location now in my old button jar.

I now have everything in one place and it makes it easier to find."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  4:43:50 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca McGinnis, (Sister Becky, #2598) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get it Together badge.

"I have organized all my kitchen cabinet space. I have donated a few items to Goodwill. Now that I have cleaned out I have more space than I thought I did.

Everything is much easier to find and get to and it also makes cooking even more fun!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  4:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Candace Hostetter, (sweettea, #3135) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I made the pinkeeper Mary Jane's Stitching Room book on page 16. I made it out of a pint canning jar and included some buttons, pins and safety pins a small pair of scissors, tape measure, seam ripper, needle threader, thimble and tan, white and black thread. I sewed a bit of scrap material around some stuffing and wrapped it around the inner lid. I sewed a circle of material over the bottom of the inner lid to cover my stitches. I also made the needle holder/book from page 18, 19 in the same Stitching Room Book. My needles in the paper package they came in kept getting stuck in everything else in the bottom of my sewing basket. That problem is solved now with the new little needle holder.

I love the little pinkeeper and needle book. Although I have a large sewing box that contains my rotary cutter, large scissors, pinking shears, and other sewing equipment, I use this handy little pinkeeper more. I plan to make another for my daughter and add it to the handmade Christmas presents I'm making her for Christmas this year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  5:07:38 PM  Show Profile
Candace Hostetter, (sweettea, #3135) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a half-apron; the cute little Harvest Apron on pg 222 in Mary Jane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook. I used material off the remnant rack at a local craft store. The material I used for the pocket has gardening tools on it. I made it according to the instructions in the book.

It took me a while to make this because we have had a busy time with family coming and going. I don't actually remember the date I completed it. It was around July 8th give or take a few days. I think it turned out cute. I love to wear it in the garden. If I'm expecting a phone call I have been known to tuck the cell phone into my pocket also. It's great for when I'm weeding the garden, and yet want to harvest some of the lambs quarters, and purslain that volunteer along the rows that I'm weeding. Can't wait for the tomatoes to ripen so that I can tuck them into my apron pocket! I'm thinking about my mom and sister now. Perhaps they would like a harvest apron. I think we are going to have a homespun Christmas this year!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page