Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  1:21:36 PM  Show Profile
Kim Miltimore (Cherrypie, #225) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"I built a coop and brought three young chickens to my backyard. Unfortunately, those three had an illness and didn't survive, but I tried again and now I have three lovely ladies who are endlessly entertaining for my family. I can't wait until they start to lay eggs.

Wonderful!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  09:30:32 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge!

"I started learning to sew when I was 9 years old in 4H. I am now almost 61 years old. Our first project in 4H (in 1957) was an apron. I completed that one and many, many more in the past 50 years.
In the past 1 1/2 year I have made several waist (half) aprons with some variety in style and fabrics.

I have sold most of these aprons at Farmers Market and/or Craft Fairs. I have made some that were custom special orders.
Customers have been very satisfied and complimentary."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  09:51:46 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge!

"I started to learn to sew 50 years ago in 4H. I have sewn dozens and dozens of aprons over the years.
I most recently have made many bib aprons in a variety of styles, fabrics, with all kinds of trims and variations on the theme.
I have designed my own pattern for adult size and child sized aprons.

I have sold my aprons at Farmers Market and Craft Fairs. I have made many that were custom special orders for customers who wanted a particular fabric, style, color or theme. One example of that would be I made a size XXX apron for a gal who wanted it to be motorcyle themed!!
Comments from customers are: "Well made", "Wonderful", "I love my apron"."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  10:34:15 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Aprons badge!

"I started learning over 50 years ago and have been sewing all my life. I have sewn anything and everything.

In last 1 1/2 years have made dozens of aprons: bibs, waist aprons, fun ones with flounces, ruffles, buttons, bows, ribbon . . .everything imaginable.

I made pocket aprons for all of my daughter's teacher coworkers, made child sized bibs for her students to wear for projects in class.

I made aprons for barters with other Farmgirls, for a young mentally handicapped man who likes chile peppers and the color red.

I made one like the one featured in 2008 Holiday issue MJF magazine for my daughter using breast cancer/pink ribbon fabrics to honor the work we do together to fight breast cancer.

Yes, I DO wear one in my kitchen and I DO wear one at Farmers Market and I DO wear one outside doing a variety of gardening/yard work chores. I have worn mine in and around town!!!

I have enjoyed my "Farm Fresh Aprons" project immensely, and I have lots of very satisfied customers. Apron gifts given were absolutely appreciated and enjoyed.
I have worn out 2 sewing machines and am working on another batch for Christmas Bazaars.

And I just love my own apron . . old fashioned laundry items/equipment print with denim blue ruffles and red ric-rac."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  09:30:05 AM  Show Profile
Anna Jurik (Prairie Chickadees, #595) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Grow Where You're Planted badge!

"I collected 5 native flowers and dried them, then I pulled the petals off and glued them on card stock and formed them into plants and flowers. I also took photos at our arboretum of our endangered plants.

I love my cards, I put so much work into them that I don't want to send them to anyone. :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  09:48:27 AM  Show Profile
Anna Jurik (Prairie Chickadees, #595) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"I have collected shopping bags from pretty much all the stores that I shop at. I also belong to The World Wildlife Fund and Defenders of Wildlife and have received bags from them also.

I love my bags! Also, the bags come with benefits. At Whole Foods for every bag you bring in and use they give you a ten cent refund off your bill. At Trader Joe's you are put into a monthly raffle for a free bag of food."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  10:19:34 AM  Show Profile
Anna Jurik (Prairie Chickadees, #595) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge!

"My husband built me a lettuce table for Mother's Day and I love it! I planted beans, cuccumbers, lettuce, spinach, basil and cilantro. I also grew gourds this year on my new trellis also built by my husband.

My garden grew wonderfully this year, its great not worrying if any critters are eating my garden while I am sleeping.
I have never used any pest spray in my gardens. I do have many apples trees that will need to be sprayed next spring because of a beetle problem. I researched an organic solution that will hopefully work on my situation.

The book Montrose was a lovely read. I wish more people would garden, they do not know the pleasure of harvesting, or just looking at plants in their yard other than grass."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  3:08:12 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Bradshaw (Tammyb, #541) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"We began in March 2009 with day old chicks, at 6 weeks we moved them into a coop my son built. We have 24 laying hens and one rooster.

We're doing very well, we are getting plenty of eggs daily and are enjoying watching them. We have a variety of hens."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  09:23:01 AM  Show Profile
Tammy Bradshaw (Tammyb, #541) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge!

"I chose a McCall's pattern and material from my stash, brown calico. It turned out well and is hanging in a handy spot in my kitchen.

This apron turned out well. Although my parents had a health scare and I needed to walk away from my sewing for the day. I finished the next day."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  09:38:46 AM  Show Profile
Tammy Bradshaw (Tammyb, #541) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge!

"I began on July 1, 2009 recording at least one thing I was thankful for .... and I have not stopped. Some entries are much longer than others but every night I have at least one thing that I can write down as a reminder of what I have. From: garden producing well, giving away produce and eggs, parents had a great doctors report, to the engagement of my daughter.

I think this journal has become one of my favorite things to do. I am planning on continuing to record what I am grateful for."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  09:10:36 AM  Show Profile
Alyssa Reid (Alee, #8) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge!

"I have gone through the cupboards and discarded the lids that are broke, unusable because of warping, or no longer have mates. We have switched to ceramic cups with BPA free lids for my husband to take foods to work."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  3:10:59 PM  Show Profile
Alyssa Reid (Alee, #8) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge!

"We have everything we need for a working kitchen:
Sharp Knives
Bamboo Cutting board
Mandolin for slicing
Apple Peeler/Corer
Crock Pot
Bake over skillet
Iron Skillet set
Stainless Steel Skillet Set
Various measuring and mixing bowls and spoons
And one true joys: My Kitchen-Aid Mixer!

It's so nice to open my apron drawer and pull out a fresh apron and know exactly where to find everything I need to cook a wholesome meal for my family."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  3:18:19 PM  Show Profile
Alyssa Reid (Alee, #8) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge!

"I learned to sharpen our straight blade knives with the steel that comes with the set. Each year we take our knives to our local knife sharpening service to make sure the edge is true.

My husband kindly showed me the correct angle and pressure to strope the knife against the steel. Now as I am preparing our meals, if I feel the knife losing it's edge it doesn't take but a second to return the knife to razor sharpness."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  3:28:57 PM  Show Profile
Michele Blumberg (seasister, #739) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"I began collecting reusable shopping bags from all the places I shop both grocery, and other types of shopping. I learned about the terrible glut of plastic bags that pollute the earth and the oceans and began to gently tell others about it. I began to give away these bags to family and friends.

It has turned out really well! I am becoming known amongst family and friends as "the Bag Lady', a title of which I am quite proud! I overheard my 7 year old grand daughter telling a friend "My Nana hates plastic bags!" And proceed to tell her why. I am happy to pass on this habit."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  12:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann Devlin (Cherrypie, #225) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Grow Where You're Planted badge!

"I researched local wildflowers in my area of Western Washington and discovered:
Bleeding Heart: a plant that is popular with bees, butterflies and hummingbirds. Some regard it as invasive. It originated in Asia but it has been found growing wild in my area, likely spread from a garden somewhere.

Fairy Slipper: A native, perennial plant. It cannot self-pollinate; it needs bumblebees to survive. It is found in moist soils with decaying leaves and wood.

Enchanter's Nightshade: a woodland plant that grows in the temperate areas of the Northern Hemisphere. The seeds are dispersed in burrs on feathers, fur, clothing, etc. It is not related to deadly nightshade.

Queen Anne's Lace: known as "invasive" but one of my favorites, it is a biennial plant related to the wild carrot. It can be found along roadsides, old fields. Some sources say it should be avoided because it crowds out native species.

Ferns: Washington has tons of ferns. Besides being lovely and providing shelter for animals, they consume CO2 and provide Oxygen in return.

Endangered plants in my area are:
Marsh sandwort, Golden Paintbrush, Water howellia, Kincaid’s lupine & Nelson’s checker-mallow.

I learned quite a bit about my local plants. I decided to create an embroidery piece of the species I researched, rather than create a pressing. My embroidered piece will hang in my living room and the lovely plants can stay in the forest!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  12:45:52 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann Devlin (Cherrypie, #225) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge!

"I took the day and organized my pantry and cupboards. I got rid of out of date items, listed what I was in need of and what I already had too much of, and now I can find what I need, when I need it. My tupperware type bowls are all matched and I have a functional pantry now.

Turned out great!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  12:59:14 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann Devlin (Cherrypie, #225) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge!

"I read Ms. Coulter's book and found it inspiring. I've placed an order for some lovely heirloom flowers that I've never grown before and I should be well over the 5% mark for heirloom plantings in my garden next spring.

I'm so excited to see the heirloom blooms next year!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  09:21:24 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann Devlin (Cherrypie, #225) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge!

"I spent the spring and summer obsessed by bees! I've watched the movie trailer, I read every book I could find on honey bees - history, their current problems with colony collapse disorder, the different roles of drones, workers, and of course the queen. I had tons of bee-friendly plants in my garden this year and I'm adding even more for next year.

I learned a great deal about these wonderful creatures and how interwoven they are in our lives, even if we don't know it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  09:38:04 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I began learning to sew at the age of 9 in 4H Club, over 50 years ago.

I have sewn anything and everything over the years.

The photo shows my current "sewing center" and in the drawers, baskets and bins are my supplies, notions, tools and equipment.

My "center" contains everything imaginable for an experienced seamstress including equipment/supplies for quilting and embroidery.

I also have my own handmade pinkeep which is a white pedestal coffee mug with red/white fabric covering the pinkeep puff.

I have learned what I need, how to use it and how to organize it and not waste supplies. I have also learned how to care for my tools and equipment.

My first sewing supplies were organized in June 1957.

That has only grown over the years to meet my needs and increasing experience. However, all was lost in our housefire in July 1994 and I had to start over.

The dates listed are for the "post-fire" start over."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  09:48:34 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I have been sewing since age 9, over 50 years ago, I started learning in 4H Club.

I have sewn anything and everything over all these years, using all types of seams, fabrics, techniques.

I have done garments included suit jackets and ties for my husband, clothing for children, alterations of every description, furnishings for my home, down sleeping bags, totes and other types of bags, dresses, pants, my own 2-piece bathing suit, jackets, quilts.
I mend everything, including a sail for a sailboat.

I learned to sew and I have done it for decades and I continue to sew. It's a skill I'm grateful to have and I will continue to sew!

I have worn out 2 sewing machines in the last 5 months and have 3 more "lined" up for service.

First started in 1957 and I have never finished!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  09:59:42 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge!

"I started learning to quilt in the '70s when my children were small. I started with "crazy quilts" making all sizes and selling them at craft fairs, including special orders.

I have enjoyed quilting over the years and in more recent years I have expanded into more intricate designs and sizes.

This photo is a baby quilt, I have made many other baby quilts, using different quilting patterns and with some size variations."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  10:10:06 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge!

"I continue to quilt using more intricate and complicated patterns and techniques.

I'm learning more efficient cutting techniques.

I continue to enjoy these projects and continue to "stretch" my imagination to be more creative with quilt patterns and use of fabrics.

These quilts use yo-yos, 3-D butterflies, handsewn letters, etc."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  10:26:55 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Quilting badge!

"I'm continuing to work on quilts, exploring and using different patterns and expanding my creativity in sewing these and use of fabrics.

I'm enjoying it more and more and continue to look for more projects to work on, shopping for fabrics to use and just having a ball doing it.

My projects include a t-shirt quilt for my son-in-law, a quilt for my daughter's school using blocks with handprints and names of her students, and a breast cancer awareness/pink ribbon quilt.

Each quilt, (larger or more intricate pattern) that I have made has taken about 40 hours to finish.

Additionally, I have helped teach quilting techniques to the following people: Robin, my daughter,
Diane, my close friend,
Jan, Marilyn and Gaye Lynn, my three sisters."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  12:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"Well, my mother has a huge jar of buttons that she inherited from her mother. It is a giant vintage jar, very curvy and beautiful filled with the most interesting buttons I've ever seen. I have a bit of a button hang up - I never buy something if I hate the buttons! I know that when the item is used up it will be cut up into quilt pieces, scraps for doll clothes or rags for cleaning, but the buttons will earn a place in the button jar. I have my own button jar, full of buttons from various clothes my daughter outgrew, my husband wore holes through and I spilled bleach on, as well as a few I have seen in the notions aisle that I couldn't live without!

I'm sure that I have at least 75 buttons - my last count was 52 and that was last year. Most are the small suit shirt buttons from my husband, but there are a number of others as well. Since I've started my farmgirl career, my mom has agreed to let me steal a handful of buttons from grandma's jar! The next time we will see them is for Christmas, so I can't wait for the get together, but also for the goodies I'll grab from the jar!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  12:26:19 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Nellie Will-do badge!

"I am not very great at sewing, but I decided that I would just jump right in see what would happen. So I chose a pattern and a fabric and made my 3 year old a dress. Yes a dress! I can't believe I did it and it looks like it was store bought! It was harder than I thought it would be in some respects and easier in others...I discovered that I DO NOT enjoy sewing a curving armpit seam, but gathering is not as hard as I imagined. That was a relief! I think it turned out great and my daughter LOVES it since she got to help throughout the process.

It took me a week to make it (I said I was not good at sewing) and it required me to learn how to actually use my sewing machine, but I already have the fabric for my daughter's second dress. She liked the first one so much that every time we venture to the craft store, she points to a fabric and says it would look "beautiful on my new dress". How cute is that? And the approval of my 3 year old is alright with me!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page