Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  09:28:08 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge!

"I purchased a book to learn how to crochet and showed my granddaughter a few steps where she could practice. I made a simple scarf which took several hours to do.

It looks like it turned out okay. I had to start over a few times as I wasn't keeping the stiches even on the end but I finally got the hang of it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  09:41:40 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level In the Garden badge!

"I used can lids for the top of a bird house I made and around the garden as stakes with the name of the plants. I also made a raised flower bed that I will put to use next spring.

The birdhouse was fast and easy to make. The nameplates a little more difficult and the raised bed took some doing as I wanted to make sure it was level."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  10:12:06 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level In the Garden badge!

"I made my own cold frame by gathering up old bricks and wood and an old window. I dug down in the ground and laid the boards around with brick on the inside and the window for the top. I will prop open with a stick when needed.

It turned out okay. I think it will work out for starting plants.

I built a gate for my garden by using 2x4's and screws, and old fencing I had laying around. I just laid down the boards and screwed brackets across each corner, then after putting the support brackets across, I screwed them on and then used staples and u nails to put the fence on. After putting it up in place I needed to make it smaller so had to redo the gate by cutting it down and reapplying the fence.

It turned out alright. Still need to tweak it some but for the most part its working and keeping all critters out of my garden. It took most of the day to do with all the cutting and walking back and forth to get what supplies I thought I needed. It was a tough job, but it works."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  10:40:02 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Heirlooms Forever! badge!

"I planted mostly heirlooms and some organics this year for the first time. I bought "Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth and "Seeds" by Jekka McVicar to learn what I can from saving seeds. I began saving from some of my plants in late July up until a hard frost in late September.

I was able to collect some seeds from my heirlooms. My tomatoes did'nt come out and some molded but I was able to save a few others for next spring planting. All in all the garden turned out well this year with no bugs at all and most things grew really well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  09:43:04 AM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"In the spring we purchased 9 pullets, however a raccoon or other animal killed all but one. The kids named her "Road Runner" because she ran for her life. We still have her. We purchased 6 more pullets and built a much more secure coop for them inside one of the barns. This is the first farm animal for us to raise in regards to food. They started laying eggs on September 2, 2009 and we have not had to purchase eggs from the store since then. We let them roam freely during the day instead of an outdoor pen, however we do have to watch out for a roaming fox. Road Runner is laying large eggs and we do not have to feed them anything to strengthen their eggshells. The kids were all involved and my 4 farmerettes help clean the coop, fetch eggs, and let them out or back in their coop. Each girl was also taught how to pick one up if needed. We are considering purchasing goats in the spring. The picture I included is Road Runner. We feed them as organically as we can afford to, and let them peck as much of the day as possible. It's funny to watch them fight over grasshoppers. One of our dogs adopted the chickens and will go into their pen to give them a lick to say hello. She's been very protective of the chickens since the day we brought the pullets home. Right now we do not have a Rooster.

I also purchased a wire basket that we use to collect the eggs with.

I also started to add our farmgirl experiences onto my blog. My family and friends can see what we are up to."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  2:28:32 PM  Show Profile
Carol McElroy (Lessie Louise, #680) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I am applying for beginner status but have been sewing for years. I was recently able to have my own sewing room, and have taken the time to put together everything I need by organizing all things sewing!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  2:29:37 PM  Show Profile
Carol McElroy (Lessie Louise, #680) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I qualify for the intermediate level, having mastered a variety of the seams mentioned, and applying those skills in making doll clothes for a charity project."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  12:56:53 PM  Show Profile
Kaitlin Nelson, age 10 (Farmette of Kristina Nelson) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"The chickens were very small at first. Then they started to get big and I was scared of them. Then I picked one up and I was not scared any more. I could go out and not be scared because of the eggs I can cook for the family."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  1:59:29 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level Shopping Green badge!

"I organized a Shopping Tote Exchange on the Farmgirl Connection. While I have recently become leader for a chapter, that chapter has yet to grow locally. Therefore, I could not do this through a chapter.

I have also discussed the need to eliminate as much "junk" from our environment as possible with friends, family and neighbors. I have encouraged them to get and utilize reusable shopping bags. I have also given these bags/totes to these individuals to use
on a regular basis.

The exchange on the Connection was very successful with approx. 22 farmgirls signing up and exchanging tote bags. It allowed them to be creative, have fun and share ideas with each other.
The mail by date was October 1st and I have had positive feedback on this project.
The photo is of the bag I made for my partner.
Other photos were posted to the thread titles "Let's Exchange Shopping Totes"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  4:26:06 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Hatton, age 13 (Farmette of Kristina Nelson) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"While I was caring for our chickens, I learned lots about them that I didn't already know. One thing that I learned about them was that they love to eat bugs. Our chickens chase down and eat grasshoppers, which I think is really weird. Another thing I learned was that they don't lay many eggs unless they have lots of sunlight. We let the chickens out every nice day for a few hours. And one more thing I learned about chickens is that it takes about twenty four hours for them to lay another egg after another.
I think that getting chickens was a great idea because we can get our own eggs. Everyday we get four to six eggs, some in the morning and some in the afternoon. I fry the eggs in the morning for breakfast and sometimes for a snack. These are some of the reasons why I think that getting chickens was a good idea."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  4:32:50 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Hatton, age 15 (Farmette of Kristina Nelson) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"When we first got the chickens I had to keep them in my room until we could build a secure pen for them outside. While they were inside my dog, Sadie, had officially adopted them as her's and protects them from our other dogs. Now 8 months old the chickens are now living in our barn and Sadie still acts like their mother. She even helps me collect eggs by sticking her nose in the roost to show me where the eggs are.
They have become part of the family and I share the chores of feeding, watering, and cleaning the chickens with them. I have made it very clear that they are only for laying eggs and not for a barbecue dinner. My siblings and I catch grasshoppers during the summer for them and my uncle has even grown a liking toward them. He had his first experience of catching and picking up a chicken as he clucked and waved his arms like chicken wings while he chased them.
I personally enjoy taking care of my favorite chicken, Road Runner, who survived from what killed our first litter of chickens. I caught a big, juicy grasshopper just for her and was overjoyed with pride as I got to eat the first egg she laid. She is the only chicken that lays double yolks of the bunch, too.
Through the hardships and rewards we have learned that responsibility and hard work are needed to take care of chickens properly. Hopefully we will further add to our family of chickens, but until then we are just going to enjoy having them for the first time."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  4:43:06 PM  Show Profile
Emily Nelson, age 7 (Farmette of Kristina Nelson) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge!

"My favorite chicken is "Fatty" because when I pick her up she won't jump out of my hands. She's fluffy and soft. The eggs are really good because we get double yokes from Road Runner."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  10:37:15 AM  Show Profile
Libbie Zenger (Libbie, #10) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Public Service badge!

"I've attended many Town Council meetings over the last year, researched the issues, and run for a position on the Town Council, which I did last November."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  10:39:15 AM  Show Profile
Libbie Zenger (Libbie, #10) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Public Service badge!

"I've attended many Town Council meetings over the last year, researched the issues, and run for a position on the Town Council, which I did last November.

I was elected, and am excited to continue to serve our town. What an amazing experience!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  11:16:13 AM  Show Profile
Chelsea Watson (C.W., #577) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge!

"Last year a girlfriend taught me how to knit and started me on a scarf. Recently I took up making dish clothes for Christmas gifts.
I have assisted my mother with making a scarf, though she has yet to finish it.

So far I have made two dish clothes, learning from a book how to increase and decrease my number of stitches. I also used the helpful instructions found in your book "Stitching Room" to crochet a border around each cloth."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  11:40:04 AM  Show Profile
Tracy Roop (Yarngirl, #736) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge!

"Three weeks ago I was reading some posts on the forum about making homemade laundry soap and other cleaners. Since I was running low on laundry soap, I decided to give it a go.

I love how my laundry smells! And it feels good to know that all the ingredients are not toxic to the environment. Now not only do I make my own laundry soap, I also make other cleaners such as dusting spray (I LOVE that I could get away from those nasty aerosol cans!), and I use vinegar to clean the majority of my home now. Thanks Maryjane for all the wonderful ideas!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  11:55:54 AM  Show Profile
Tracy Roop (Yarngirl, #736) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I have been sewing, mostly quilts, since I was 13. Recently a few friends asked me to teach them how to sew. So for each of them I put together a little sewing kit.

I think they turned out pretty cute! I put a small pair of scissors, multiple colors of thread, a variety of buttons, needles, safety pins, elastic, and a tape measure in each jar. On the lid I made a pin cushion and stuck some straight pins in it. The girls LOVED them!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  12:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Tracy Roop (Yarngirl, #736) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge!

"A few years ago I taught myself how to knit and have been loving it ever since. In September one of my husbands co-workers had a baby girl so I made her 2 little stocking hats. Each hat took me about 3 hours to complete.

The last time I was home visiting my folks, my best friend asked me to help her learn to knit. So I taught her how to do a simple dishcloth and now she's making them for holiday gifts!

I think they turned out very cute and my husband said his co-worker LOVED them! And my friend is SO excited about her homemade dishcloths!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  09:10:12 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge!

"I have journaled for many years, writing about everything, including frustrations and disappointments. I have also written about the positive things, the joys and the celebrations.

I have continued to journal as usual.
However, I set aside a "GRATITUDE" section in my journal for the DAILY Farmgirl Gratitude entries . . .and I will continue to make those daily, brief entries.

Journaling for me has always been a positive thing. It has been even more positive for me to focus on the positive things daily and realize that I have much to be grateful for.
I will continue to do this and, yes, I AM GRATEFUL FOR MUCH!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  09:20:43 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge!

"My kitchen has always been organized and pretty well equipped.

I did go back through storage containers and sort out and toss unneeded items.

I use a lot of these containers for freezing meat and/or produce, or baked goods.

It's always good to sort, toss and reassess the things in the kitchen cupboard.

A cluttered kitchen is not only messy, but does not contribute to efficiency.

I do this on a regular basis . . . so we don't go crazy!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  09:32:36 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge!

"We lost our house in a house fire in July 1994. While we were rebuilding we were able to live in 4 different places and I was able to get some good (and bad) ideas for our kitchen cupboards.

We really have no needs for adding anything to our kitchen. It is well equipped and organized. My husband and I both cook and are GOOD cooks and use our equipment effectively and care for it properly.

We have every imaginable piece of kitchen equipment, including stoneware, glass baking dishes, and cooking utensils of every description.

Our lower cabinets all have pullout drawers for easy access. There are two lower corner cabinets and the upper end corner cabinet all have lazy susan shelving in them . . WONDERFUL for better storage and access. Vertical divided storage over the fridge allows for efficient storage of baking racks, cookie sheets and such like.

VERY LARGE counter allows for casual eating from barstools on one side, but that's where I cut my fabric and do my canning.

I LOVE MY KITCHEN!!!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  09:43:19 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Get It Together badge!

"Knives and knife sharpening!!!!

This is one thing we are ABSOLUTELY METICULOUS about!!!

We have many knives and they all have their "special" purpose. And they are SHARP!!!!! They are cared for and sharpened properly on a regular basis!!!

My husband is a knife maker and he makes knives for our kitchen.

He has taught me how to sharpen and care for knives. He has taught our daughter how to sharpen and care for knives.

In this regard we are TOTALLY "on top of it".

We have sharp, quality knives!!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  09:54:02 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"Because I have been sewing 50+ years and doing craft projects for 30+ years I have an extensive supply of buttons.

This photo shows only part of the supply and they are sorted by color groups. Metal and "specialty" ones are separate as well.

Many are purchased, but many were gleaned from old clothes, collections given to me by relatives or actually found in a variety of places. I am always on the lookout for a button!!!

I use my buttons, obviously, on sewing projects. But I also use them in my quilting projects. I use them in my paper craft projects, which includes cards, tags and journals.

I use them for jewelry projects and other craft projects. An example of that would be gluing them on my flowerpot/glass bowl candy dish projects.

I LOVE BUTTONS!!! I LOVE USING BUTTONS!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  10:06:44 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge!

"I learned how to embroider more then 40 years ago when I was a teenager. My mother taught me and I worked on flour sack dishtowels.

Over the years I have embroidered many items, I have done many crewel embroider projects which were mostly wall hangings.

I then added cross-stitch to my projects and made towels, wall hangings, ornaments, etc. using cross-stitch.

I learned all the various stitches and incorporated them into my projects, some of which were my own design.

In our house fire in July 1994 I lost ALL of my supplies and design books. It is only recently that I have started back in embroidery and replenished my supplies.

This photo is of two wall hangings I did, the large one is a family tree for my parents who are now passed away and I got it back and it hangs in my living room. The small one I did for my in-laws and got it back after my father-in-law passed away and my mother-in-law had to move into assisted living.

I have gotten back other items I made as gifts for both sets of parents that I now am using in my own home."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  10:23:03 AM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (KMop, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge!

"I have chosen the name Buttertown Mercantile as my business name. I have written down and slept on it. I have planned a sewing business of Civil War clothing, and have 2 contacts. I also want to sell quilts of that time period made of reproduction fabrics. I think that covers the first step.

This is coming together, as I said I have 2 contacts. I have patterns for Men, women and some children. And I'm working on my quilting badge."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page