Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  10:31:25 AM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (KMop, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge!

"I have studied quilting for years. I have hand pieced and machine pieced. I hand quilt and machine quilt. I collect patterns; belong to a International swap, and 3 or 4 online quilting groups. And I can name most quilt blocks.

It turns out wonderful. Right now I have in my sewing room 31 quilt tops waiting for me, and a lot in progress. I have started a separate project for this badge...a 9-patch baby quilt.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  10:47:25 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge!

"I grew a garden of all organic and heirloom vegetables. No pesticides were used and there were no problems with bugs other than a few ladybugs. I do use dish soap and water occassionly when necessary or hand pick bugs off. I had read the book "Montrose-Life In The Garden" which I had borrowed from a friend.

It turned out so well I was able to freeze some vegetables, save seeds and gave away many pounds of vegetables all summer long."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  11:29:50 AM  Show Profile
Gail Springman (gspringman, #486) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"I've been sewing since I was very young and some of these buttons are from then dating them back to the 60's. I collect buttons whenever I can, especially off of old clothing.

I have enough buttons to fill a good size can. I'll even have to start on a bigger can as my collection grows."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  11:18:29 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann Devlin (Cherrypie, #225) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge!

"I kept a gratitude journal for a month, making sure not to repeat any previous entries. What a wonderful experience it has been.

I'm going to continue keeping the journal because writing down things I'm grateful for first thing in the morning sets the tone for the whole day!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  11:31:46 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann Devlin (Cherrypie, #225) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge!

"I've read about grass-fed beef at eatwild.com (plus other sources, including the great documentary "King Corn") and I'm convinced that grass-fed beef is the only responsible option, for the environment, the animals and for people. Limiting beef consumption is still better for the environment, but choosing only organic, grass-fed beef for purchase whenever possible is a big step in the right direction.

This task has only confirmed what I already believed. The problem is how to find affordable grass-fed beef (organic is available at my grocery store, but not grass-fed). Eatwild has a great interactive map to find local sources. Buying online is an option but if more people would request grass-fed from their grocers, it would help bring the cost down and the availability up."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  09:31:30 AM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (KMop, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge!

"I have collected a quart Mason jar nearly full of buttons found. As in buttons from shirts and so forth headed for the rag bin. And I have started a button bracelet.

I didn't count my buttons, but of course there are more than 50. I think they look very pretty in my light green Mason jar."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  09:14:51 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann Devlin (Cherrypie, #225) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I have my sewing kit all put together, in a Longaberger basket. I also made a pinkeep using an empty jelly jar.

Great! I'm ready for stitching."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  09:21:05 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann Devlin (Cherrypie, #225) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I have a sewing kit in a Longaberger basket, along with a homemade pinkeep I made from a jelly jar. I have practiced straight seams (by hand and machine) and I now know how to make french seams and flat felled seams.

Precision is still my weak spot in sewing so I am going to continue to practice and work on easy patterns that will guarantee success. One of these days I'll be getting that expert badge!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  09:30:45 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann Devlin (Cherrypie, #225) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge!

"As much as I love half aprons, I'm more of a bib front gal - I need the coverage! I took advantage of a $1 pattern sale and found a good basic bib front pattern. I cut it out yesterday and finished it today. It has a nice big pocket in front, perfect for carrying anything. It turned out well for the most part - I'm not a fan of skinny bias tape!

Good, except I really struggle with skinny bias tape. I just can't seem to get the tape to enclose the raw seam when I'm stitching it up. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong in the process but for now, my next apron will have a french seam instead of bias tape for edging."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  10:12:13 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge!

"It has been my goal to make most of the Christmas gifts I/we give every year for many years.

It's more personal, meets the likes of the receiver more appropriately and saves tons of money.

Additionally, there is a lot more thought and sensitivity put into a handmade gift!!

I have also made Christmas ornaments for our tree, our house and as gifts for years.

People receiving handmade gifts have always expressed how much they like them, enjoy them and how they really "fill the bill".

This photo doesn't show any ornaments, but those would include papercrafted ones, ball ornaments, woodturned ornaments and sewn ones.

This photo (items in foreground) does show some current handmade items that will be used for gifts; papercraft journal, beaded bracelets, aprons (adult and child sizes) and rice bags. There will also be others."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  10:25:08 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge!

"CJ's CREATIONS" is the name of my business which has been in existence for about 5 years.

I basically started sewing and making a variety of craft projects selling them at craft shows/bazaars and from my home.

Just this spring I opened a "store" on a website for handmade products.

I have learned by trying a variety of different craft projects what sells the best for this area and clientele.

I am able to focus more and more on the things that are "best sellers" and improve on those products.

I am very resourceful and do a tremendous amount of "upcycling" and "repurposing" . . . and "scrounging" with an eye on everything for possibilities.

I LOVE WHAT I DO!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  10:39:40 AM  Show Profile
Patricia Gneiding (patriciag, #785) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge!

"My farmettes and I do this all the time as we drive into town. We live in an area where you can't but help drive down the road and spot a field with a grazing horse. We even go as far as naming the ones we encounter talking about the different breeds, their traits and habits. We do not own our own horses yet, but we do have some kind friends who let us, “borrow” theirs from time to time. For this badge we rounded up three of our friends horses, fed and brushed them then took them out for some exercise.

It’s safe to say we are horse crazy and our horse dreams are long standing.
Getting up close and personal just solidifies this. The horses seemed to have as much fun as we did.
Borrowed Joe Camp’s book "The Soul of a Horse" from the library and can’t wait to get to reading it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  11:08:55 AM  Show Profile
Rachel Gneiding (Farmette of Patricia Gneiding) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge!

"My farmeretts's and I do this all the time as we drive into town. We live in an area where you can but help to drive down the road and spot a field with a grazing horse. We even go as far as naming the ones we encounter talking about the different breeds, their traits and habits. We do not own our own horses yet, but we do have some kind friends who let us, “borrow” theirs from time to time. For this badge we rounded up three of our friends horses, fed and brushed them then took them out for some exercise.

Getting up close and personal just solidifies this. The horses seemed to have as much fun as we did.
Borrowed Joe Camp’s book "The Soul of a Horse" from the library and can’t wait to get to reading it.

Photo-Farmette Rachel grooming Faligia a Polish and Spanish Arabian"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  11:28:41 AM  Show Profile
Jessica Gneiding (Farmette of Patricia Gneiding) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge!

"My farmeretts's and I do this all the time as we drive into town. We live in an area where you can but help to drive down the road and spot a field with a grazing horse. We even go as far as naming the ones we encounter talking about the different breeds, their traits and habits. We do not own our own horses yet, but we do have some kind friends who let us, “borrow” theirs from time to time. For this badge we rounded up three of our friends horses, fed and brushed them then took them out for some exercise.

Borrowed Joe Camp’s book "The Soul of a Horse" from the library and can’t wait to get to reading it.

Photo-Farmette Jessica grooming Kalon a Polish Arabian"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2009 :  09:42:11 AM  Show Profile
Patricia Gneiding (patriciag, #785) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge!

"I have been collecting reuseable bags for sometime now, yet I always forget to take them in to the store. For this badge I collected 6 more bags from the hardware, fabric and local farm store, plus Costco- they even have new large and medium sizes with bottle holders inside!

Earning this badge has helped me be more diligent in remembering to take the bags in when I go shopping. I make sure they go right back into the car ready for the next trip. It also helps that our local farm store gives a 5 cent credit for every bag I bring with!

Photo-My fav bag I got at the farmers market-Save the Farmland!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  10:00:09 AM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge!

"I have earned this badge by being involved in the Washington County 4H as an organizational leader. I have just finished my fifth year in this position. In the first two years I was a leader for a larger group, organizing activities such as hikes and camping or involvement in a 4th of July parade. Beside administrative duties, I also participate with my children in fund raising events for Cornell Cooperative Extension which means working shifts in the food and dairy booths during County Fair as well as other events at the fairgrounds. We have served our community with roadside cleaning, janitorial services at the local firehouse, and gifts of gratitude to our local volunteers and library workers. It would be difficult to put a number on the hours that I have invested in our group and local community since serving has become a part of our everyday lifestyle. We are prompt to get involved when asked for help and my children have learned to step forward whenever a need arises. Each year of our participation takes us further in our commitment to and involvement in our community!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  12:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Community Service badge!

"Along with my involvement in 4H, I have added membership in the Highland Quilter's Guild. I had not previously understood the activities of a guild until I began meeting with these lovely ladies, but I have found them to be very community minded! We have made small quilts to donate to the local hospital for premature babies to be taken home in. We donated two lovely quilts to the nearby Haynes House of Hope, a home for terminal patients. We collect food to donate to local food pantries along with money for the pantries to purchase food at a deeply discounted price. We also host local Girl Scouts and 4H children every March and teach them how to sew and make useful items. (For our upcoming get together with the children we will be making a small fabric bag to fill with books for 2010's Kindergarten Round Up at Argyle Central School!) With our dues and income from quilt raffles we have been able to help the church where we meet to put in a large parking lot, making it more convenient for people to come to their events and shop in their thrift shop all of which benefits the community!

Involvement in the guild has meant a three hour meeting on the third Saturday of each month, during which we decide who we will be doing projects for and which community programs will receive our collections. After our meetings we often sew together, learning new techniques, making gifts, or putting together service projects. Many hours are also invested in sewing at home.

Not only have I met some truly wonderful ladies and learned much to further my craft, but I have also been given opportunity to serve my community in ways I might not otherwise have thought of. Since sewing is a great passion of mine, it has been a pleasure to give of my time and talents in ways that mean so much! Here is a photo of the appliquéd square I made for our upcoming raffle. We hope to take in as much as $1000 for this work of art!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  12:20:47 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Community Service badge!

"In addition to my involvement with 4H and the Highland Quilter's Guild, I have also become a member of the board of trustees at the Argyle Free Library. I have been attending monthly meetings of the board for about two and half years now. I have helped to vote on building restoration projects, salary increases for our library staff, and energy saving measures. I've helped with cleaning projects and light bulb changes. We hope to pursue repairs to our sidewalk and curb, and are also investigating options for a possible move within the community. My participation on the board has been a special treat for me since I spend many hours in the library with my family appreciating the many services available. We borrow books, music, games and toys; we use the internet and SALS ordering system; we attend reading and music programs hosted by the library. What better place for me to volunteer my time and energies? For a lovely photo of our library, and some general information, visit us at http://directory.sals.edu/library.php?lib=ARG"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  12:32:36 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Becker (LakeOntarioFarmgirl, #711) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I love vintage fabrics! I was able to get yards and yards this summer at a yard sale, and so far with it I have made aprons.
I knew I needed a new sewing kit, so I took this adorable teal flowered fabric, and stitched 2 rectangles together, with batting in the middle. I then sewed a pocket on the bottom half of the inside, and sewed the pocket into thirds. I then attached some vintage yellow rickrack to the outside to keep it all together!

This turned out wonderful! It only took me about an hour to make, and it includes all the items on the list, plus a needle threader, and a tape measure. It folds nicely into thirds and the rickrack ties in a bow to keep it all closed!
I love the fabric and the colors, and I'm so glad I did this, I'll use it a lot!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2009 :  09:25:16 AM  Show Profile
Sharalyn Paetz (Angora girl, #341) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge!

"I made a half apron from the handkerchief pattern in Mary Jane's apron magazine issue. But I used red bandannas instead of handkerchiefs.

It was longer in length than I originally expected. It has actually been nice longer since I am tall."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  10:42:27 AM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (KMop, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge!

"I refreshed my crocheting skills. Then crocheted six dishcloths from cotton yarn. And started my granddaughter on one of her own.

Perfect, I use them all the time; I really like to use them as potholders."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  10:52:06 AM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (KMop, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge!

"I sewed all 50 of the buttons I collected onto a cuff made of linen, with tatting my grandmother made. Some of my buttons were from a dress that belonged to my great grandmother, a pair of my grandfathers long johns, and one from a dress I wore in the first grade.

Wonderful, I wear it a lot, I even have a teapot charm from a pair of earrings my grandmother wore."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  11:08:07 AM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (KMop, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

"I put together my sewing kit in a huswif I had made. My thread, I wound several different colors onto pieces of hard leather. Several shell buttons into a pocket, scissors are in a special pocket with a flap so they won't fall out. Needles, straight pins, and different sizes of safty pins are in a padded flap used as a pincushion.

I think it turned out very good, as I make similar ones for Mountain men and Civil War re-enactors. I am carrying mine in my bag."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  11:23:56 AM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (KMop, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge!

"I air-dried and by dehydrator: sage, chives, and tomatoes.
Mixed up the Terlingua Blend from MaryJane's book. We liked it fine.

I really like drying my own herbs among other things like apples, tomatoes, peaches, and the list goes on."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  11:27:47 AM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (KMop, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge!

"I made 5 different bean bags/with redwork pictures on each. The fabric was pillow ticking for strength, and filled with dry beans.
I gave them to my granddaughter.

I think they turned out very well. My granddaughter uses them to play Hot Potato."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page