Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  3:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge!

“I wrote down a gratitude/thankfulness each day, never repeating (there are so many, how could I?!) and I also included The Book of Awesome daily too (fun read by the way!).

Most days I didn't have just one, I had many and they never repeated! I still do that and it has helped the winter go by a lot easier!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  3:40:45 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Farmgirl Gratitude badge!

“I kept reading The Book of Awesome, wrote 20 thank-you letters to various "entities" in the community like the fire department, police, food bank, ambulance, etc. I also wrote a letter to the editor, which was my first time doing so!

I was a little disappointed to not have my letter published, I sent it in but the political letters got published. Oh well, I shall try again! Its nice to let other people know how much they are appreciated, especially in the harder months of winter. I encourage people to get out there and let others in higher or service positions in the community how much they are appreciated!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  3:44:55 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Blogging badge!

“I started a blog but after reading Blogging for Bliss by Tara Frey I got recharged about my blog! The book helped the most and I re did my blog and I have some more work to it but it was encouraging to read and I want to get back to writing about what I love the most- life and all the blessings that come with it!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  3:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Blogging badge!

"I updated my blog and it was already added to GirlGab! Great, I have an updated blog now!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  3:56:36 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Blogging badge!

“I have well over 10 posts with pictures on my blog so far and I have a small but growing circle of readers!

I am going to continue to slowly network and continue to customize and improve my blog to keep it fresh!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  4:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge!

“I did some asking around and some of my own research into honey both raw and processed. I found some local honey to buy through my natural food store and the farm that has the bees is only a few miles away! I also read the "Bees" book by Candace Savage.

I knew most of the information already about honey but I did find out its better to not heat raw honey up as it loses the "good stuff" at high temperatures defeating the purpose of having raw, unprocessed honey. The book was interesting and it was nice to get out and meet even more local honey vendors!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  4:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge!

“I officially sold my first lavender products this summer. It is an expansion for our orchard, but as my husband handles the orchard, this is my endevour from harvesting, to having the buds distilled for oil, to marketing.

I'm very excited and have moved into several local store with our products. The next few years will bring all the plants into maturity and I am making connections with a company that has several farm stores in the southwest to continue growing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  4:42:55 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an expert level recycling badge!

“When I first moved to Colorado in 2007, the only recycling was to take it to a local stop. We had two and they took different items so you had to sort. When I moved, there was no recycling for nearly a year but I continued to collect mine and run it to my old town. I got my mom to start recycling and helped by running it to the drop off for her. My husband only recycled aluminum, but I started a bin for what could be taken which expanded when my county started a recycling program and he now recycles. I've recycled for years before moving to Colorado, each place having different rules.

To me, recycling is the only responsible thing to do. I have seen a growth in what is acceptable in all the years I have recycled but it still amazes me how far behind we are compared to other countries in what we recycle. We still have limits, in my old town glass is not accepted. It is where I live now. In Germany, just about everything is, including paper towels and beer/soda boxes (not so here). The attitude is also different. If you don't recycle the neighbors give you the "look". Most people in my old town still don't, even though they have started a curb side pickup.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  1:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge!

“We have been doing a weekly game night with friends and family for 11 weeks now! We have been reading with our kids every night for 2 months too. We have found some new games that we love... Skip Bo, Apples to Apples, and Spoons! The kiddies love Memory!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  1:56:19 PM  Show Profile
Bea Campbell (quiltingbea, #2575) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Herbs badge!

“My five herbs that I can identify are lavender, rosemary. oregano, parsley and cilantro. The lavender can be added to soap and added to cooking recipes. Oregano is used in a lot of Mexican recipes.
The cilantro I used to make fresh salsa. You just add chopped onion, cilantro and tomatoes together. Add a hot pepper if you want it to have a kick. My salsa came out great I add it to tacos and on eggs in the mornings.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  2:20:44 PM  Show Profile
Julie Kram (#3733) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge!

“From Friday, November 23 until Sunday, November 25 everything was turned off. I spent "Black Friday" cleaning up the last of the yard and spending time with the chickens.

I was able to focus on all the things I had to be thankful for including loved ones now deceased. The house was quiet and warm. My husband and I read. We actually do this quite often.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  2:25:38 PM  Show Profile
Julie Kram (#3733) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an intermediate level Disconnect to Reconnect badge!

“I invited two of my daughters to spend the weekend with me at a cabin in a county park approximately 30 minutes from our homes. No phones, no boys, no laptops, etc.

We had a wonderful time! We went for an awesome walk through the park and along the Saginaw Bay shoreline. We chatted and munched on goodies we had brought. We cooked all of our meals over the campfire or on the small grill we brought along. I'm so glad I got to spend that time with my girls!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  2:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Julie Kram (#3733) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an expert level Disconnect to Reconnect badge!

“I earned my expert level by camping alone, three miles back in the woods, on state land. No electricity, no running water, just me and the dog. I got everything ready myself, hooked up and set-up the camper by myself, cooked all my meals over a fire and enjoyed the songs of the Sandhill Cranes.

It was AMAZING! I did not have anyone to talk to except the dog. I took many, many pictures and we walked. I worked on a Halloween project and a Christmas project I had brought with. One day it rained and I read and snoozed inside the camper. I dug cat holes and showered outside under a pine tree. On my last day I invited family to come for the day and share in my celebrations; I made a roast in the dutch oven in the campfire. I can't wait to go again this summer!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  2:58:36 PM  Show Profile
Marsha Gulick (Osagegypsy, #2988) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a beginner level Make it Pretty badge!

“I used to draw quite a bit, but tapered off when I had my daughter. She is 22 now and I finally have studio space; so I have been working on the Make it Pretty Badge.

I joined a pet portrait exchange on WetCanvas.com. It was quite a project, because there were 20-ish artists and you had to make 20-ish small drawings. I made about 18, but had trouble with their website, so I didn't get them all posted.

It was fun and a good challenge. It took me longer than I expected, mainly because my confidence was wobbly. I'm now much more confident in my abilities and have recently donated five pet portraits to a fundraiser to help horses get medicines.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  3:07:38 PM  Show Profile
Marsha Gulick (Osagegypsy, #2988) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an intermediate level Make it Pretty badge!

“My next challenge was painting with acrylics. I took a week long workshop at Ghost Ranch, NM with Louise Minks. We worked in acrylics and painted en plein air. I created 5 paintings there!

I joined the Paseo Art Group that has Art Walks on First Fridays. My husband and I have been to two Art Walks together.

The workshop with Louise was fantastic! She encouraged me to develop my own style and to be true to my habit of painting fast and loose. It was a wonderful week, although I was suffering with the altitude change and dryness.

I have since kept up with Louise and our group and done several other acrylic paintings as commissions.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  3:16:28 PM  Show Profile
Marsha Gulick (Osagegypsy, #2988) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an expert level Make it Pretty badge!

“Last spring I took an Oil Painting class with Mary Grabow. I worked with regular oil on my first study, then H2O oils that are water soluble. No fumes! I painted two studies of ocean scenes, the first was black and white to help me see differences in tonal values. The second was color that I painted with a palette knife.

The class was good for learning the basics and how to organize my space and palette. I didn't get any work that I would consider ready to hang; but that is ok because I did studies that made me stretch.

I also spent some time painting a horse for the program cover for the Gypsy World Horse Show! I won the contest and was given free posters of my painting! SO EXCITED! I also framed my own work and entered in two shows! Two of my paintings from Ghost Ranch won Honorable Mentions!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  3:31:53 PM  Show Profile
Marsha Gulick (Osagegypsy, #2988) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge!

“In 2005 I bought four Gypsy Horses with the savings my father left me. He always wanted to give me a horse, so I knew this was a good investment for me. I researched the Gypsy Breed, sometimes called Vanners or Cobs; and where it originated in the UK. I joined a forum and learned SO much from the folks I met there.

We now own 10 horses and have raised and sold a number of horses. We are very careful about breeding to good stock and do not over breed. Our mares give us one or two foals a year and they usually sell quite easily. My goal is to bring this wonderful, gentle and beautiful horse to more people in the USA. They are true family horses and are born curious and unafraid. They do not spook easily and are great with children. ”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  3:45:49 PM  Show Profile
Marsha Gulick (Osagegypsy, #2988) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Horse Dreams badge!

“After researching and buying Gypsy Horses, the REAL learning started. I read books, The Soul of a Horse, Foaling books and magazines. We began to show horses at small shows, in big places. Our first show was at the Kentucky Horse Park.

The friends I made online and at Shows helped me so much. Since we bought mares that were already pregnant, we had a huge learning curve!

Raising and breeding horses has been such a wonderful part of our lives. It has brought blood, sweat and many tears; but I wouldn't have it any other way.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  3:57:37 PM  Show Profile
Marsha Gulick (Osagegypsy, #2988) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Horse Dreams badge!

“I have learned much about the horse rescue business and try to support our local group. I have also donated artwork to an online fundraiser group called Love of the Valiant Equine fund that is on Facebook.

We have had many years of wonderful memories and lovely new friends since we got in to the horse world. It is not always easy. We have lost two foals and have learned that mares and not easy birthers. We are still learning every day!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2013 :  2:46:32 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Cox (dawn5556, #4676) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge!

“As a newlywed I find myself with many duplicates including sewing boxes. I cleaned both out and stored the extra supplies. We are in the process of remodling the laundry room and having a crafting room also. I made a pinkeeper out of hearth shaped felt.

The outcome of this project was fun for my husband and I as we compared the different supplies we had acquired over the years and it helped us be more organized.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2013 :  3:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Cox (dawn5556, #4676) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge!

“I practiced machine and hand stitched straight seams. I french and flat felled. I haven't felled in awhile so it was good to practice it again.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2013 :  4:37:10 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Recycling badge!

“I have a recycling center 10 miles from where I live.
They accept: glass bottles and jars of all colors,plastic bottles, magazines, newspapers, phone books and cardboard boxes.
At this time they are not accepting plastic bags or styrofoam.
They do have a sign up telling people to take their plastic bags to Walmart or Harps to their recycle boxes.

They have a very nice operation going, open 7 days a week. Some one is always there emptying the bins. It's a busy place.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2013 :  4:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Know Your Roots badge!

“We hosted a delayed graduation party for our granddaughter Kyla and family reunion at the same time. We invited family from our area. Thirty family members came, we celebrated being a family,enjoyed good food and made memories.

We are going to try and do better at keeping in touch, getting together more often. We met new members of the family, some of email on a regular basis. We shared family recipes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  12:44:11 PM  Show Profile
Erin Rockafellow (Erin Rock, #4131) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level cheesemaking badge!

“For this badge I made a batch of yogurt in the slow cooker and made a quart of cultured buttermilk. For the yogurt I heated four cups of whole milk to 120 degrees to re-pasteurize it and then dropped the temperature back to 110 degrees (all in a small dip sized crock pot). When the temperature was lowered I added two tablespoons of plain yogurt with active cultures from the store. I mixed it in and then wrapped the crock in a large towel and left it to sit over night in my oven with the light on for warmth. The cultured buttermilk was much the same but it was 8 ounces of buttermilk into a quart jar and I finished filling it with whole milk and leaving that in the oven over night also.

Both experiments turned out wonderfully. I strained the yogurt to get a much thicker product. We loved it with a swirl of honey mixed in. The buttermilk went into a great banana bread.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  12:51:16 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge!

“I knew the basics of knitting from being in 4-H years ago. I picked a pair of slippers to make for my grandgirl. The project took me almost 5 hours, as I am a very slow knitter! Then I taught my own daughter to knit, as she wanted some nice dishcloths. It was fun to visit & knit together!

The slippers turned out nice & they are warm. I made a second pair for my other grandgirl. They both love them. My Daughter & I now share patterns via email. She's much quicker than I am.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page