Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  1:00:53 PM  Show Profile
Diane Kasperzak (DiDi, #3657) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Knitting badge!

“For my expert-level knitting badge, I put in the required 50 hours and three new techniques by knitting six washcloths, each with different patterns, including increasing, decreasing, knitting a whole row and pearling a whole row, and then kitting one; pearling one, etc. I learned from watching you-tube videos. It was like knitting boot camp. I was under a time deadline too - I wanted to enter my washcloths in our local Four-Town Fair. Nothing motivates like the deadline (I had less than two months [and I work full time]), but I am happy to say, not only did I get the project done in time to enter in the Fair, I got a red (second place) ribbon! Fifty hours for six wash clothes may seem excessive, but I was *learning* - at least 10 of those hours worth of knitting were undone and started over again (at least five times!) I knitted the wash clothes, and entered them in the Fair, under the auspices of troll blankets. I also taught six women how to knit - five at the office where I work (Donna, Dawn, Kristen, Mindy and Helena [taught as a group]) and a family friend (Barb [taught on a train ride to and from NYC]). I enjoy the challenge of knitting and plan to knit something new every year to enter in both the Four Town Fair and the Eastern States Exposition.

Although there are some errors (my next HUGE lesson will be correcting mistakes!)I think I did really well! The comments from the Judge at the Four Town Fair were very positive and encouraging.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  1:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Diane Kasperzak (DiDi, #3657) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge!

“I made a garden trellis using wooden yard sticks (some old; some purchased for $1), twine, glue and a hula-hoop. I then painted the trellis and decorated it for Halloween to be used as a door decoration. I entered it in the local Four Town Fair and won a white (third place) ribbon in the non-Christmas door-decoration category. My nephew asked me if he could have it and he displayed it on his front door, along with a huge spider. He and his wife had just purchased their new home, so it was an honor for me!

I also made a bean tee pee from branches that I found in my yard. Photo attached.

I thought the trellis and bean tee pee added some country charm to my niece and nephew's home, and to my backyard garden, respectively. For almost no money spent, I made two really nice decorative items.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  1:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Leigh-Ann Whitten (Ms. Treadle, #1178) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Blogging badge!

“I started blogging somewhere back around 2009 maybe? It's hard to remember because I've been with a couple of hosts and have come back around to blogger. I've been developing my blogging style as I've gone and feel like I've finally found "my voice" as far as blogging is concerned. It doesn't feel like it's "something I feel I need to do" anymore. I like it. People I know in person say it's like listening to me talk to read a post... I love the book "Blogging for Bliss". In fact, I picked it up even before I read the requirements for this badge. I write about farmstead things we're up to, craftiness we've got going on, just life you know?

Right now I'm loving my blog. I still tinker with the look of it. At this point I know I'll recognize it when I've got it looking just how I want it.

Come on by and check out my place: www.thevioletfirefly.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  1:53:31 PM  Show Profile
Leigh-Ann Whitten (Ms. Treadle, #1178) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an intermediate level Blogging badge!

“I started blogging at Homesteadblogger.com so long ago and I've changed so much that I can't even remember what I called my corner of the world back then. LOL

I'm at Blogger right now. I went there from HSB, went to a self-hosted wordpress blog, and decided that Blogger was more my style so I moved back there and am quite happy with it.

I've added www.thevioletfirefly.com to GirlGab.com also.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  1:57:19 PM  Show Profile
Leigh-Ann Whitten (Ms. Treadle, #1178) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Blogging badge!

“I've learned how to add pictures to my blog. I've also started playing with the layout and hope to get even more adventurous with that this year. I've posted more than ten times. In fact, I've started a weekly series to go all this year. I leave comments and my web address at other blogs I visit.

I'm really happy with how things are going. The series I started this year was a little intimidating but I'm really glad that I've committed myself to doing it!

I hope you'll come by and check out what I've been up to!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  2:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Loran Watkins (Loran, #2471) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level aprons badge!

“I got together with fellow Farm Girls Brittany Watkins (2849) and Sue Kaar (1584) to do aprons. We decided to do basic half aprons and working from a small box of "possibilities" we each crafted an apron that suit our personality and went together as a group. We spent an afternoon sipping tea and stitching.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  2:40:17 PM  Show Profile
Loran Watkins (Loran, #2471) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an intermediate level aprons badge!

“I made this apron out of some quilt scraps that I had completely forgotten about! It was part of a "Sew Weekly" challenge and came out quite well. I wore it with my cowgirl boots and cherry bakelite for the full Farmgirl effect.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  2:58:11 PM  Show Profile
Tami Erwin (mrschupa, #4684) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level quilting badge!

“A friend introduced me to quilting years ago, but I laid it aside when I went back to work full-time. Now that I'm down to part-time hours again, I wanted to return to sewing. My favorite beginner project is a "Quilt As You Go" table runner. It's made from simple 4" squares and sewn in rows through batting and backing, so that when the rows are attached, they are also quilted.

I made this runner for my niece, Kristi, who recently purchased her first home. The colors look great in her new kitchen and I'm very pleased with the finished project. I have two more cut out and waiting!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  3:11:24 PM  Show Profile
Kara Matson (girlscout, #4736) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge!

“I boxed up all of the traditional (toxic) household cleaning products in my home and took them to the Metro waste transfer station for safe disposal. I bought a book full of recipes for making my own household cleaning products titled "d.i.y. Natural Household Cleaners" by Matt & Betsy Jabs, I shared the book and the recipes with my mom who is interested in purchasing her own copy now. Bought a "Decomposition Book" made from 100% post-consumer-waste recycled pages and printed with soy ink to keep of track of my on-going progress with green projects. Wrote a mission statement for my household pledging to use only green products in our home from now on.

I can't believe the peace of mind that comes from safely disposing of all of those toxic products I had in my home. Following the recipes in my new book, I have tried a few of the home-made cleaning products and am really blown away by how well they work. I'm super excited!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  4:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Allow me to introduce Merit Badge Awardee Jane (MBA Jane for short) nickname, Janey, sister #27. In her former life she ended up naked on eBay, little more than a discarded plaything. Since then, she’s been turning things around and, well, here she is, a permanent part of my Raising Jane Journal and the Chatroom. Take it from here, MBA Jane. -MaryJane

Read MBA Jane's inaugural entry and introduction to MaryJane's Farmgirl Sisterhood here on Raising Jane: www.raisingjane.org/journal/10477

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  1:55:28 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner level Recycling badge!

“I did some checking around to find out where I could recycle here, since I grew up recycling. I found out we have curbside pickup and a center we can take our recyclables to! It will be easier to make a short list of what cannot be recycled because most everything can be recycled somehow. We can't recycle paint cans, motor oil jugs, light bulbs, ceramic, mirrors, Styrofoam, sandwich baggies, lined/waxed cardboard, Freon, and I believe that is it for our area. We do recycle or have found uses for a lot of other stuff like giving our waste motor oil to a friend who heats his garage with it in an oil burner, I like to save old ceramic dishes and mirrors and up-cycle them into crafts for gifts and stepping stools since those are things that technically "cannot" be recycled. I have seen some crafts that up-cycle light bulbs but I have not tried that yet. Our county does recycle ink cartridges, old cell phones, batteries, computers and other office equipment. Once I got asking it did not take long to find other ways and other people who collect things to be recycled. Our trash pickup has become less and less the more I got into recycling and up-cycling. One way we up-cycle milk jugs (although those are recycled with the plastics) is to save them during the winter for maple sap collection for making our own maple syrup and then we rinse them out and use them as hot caps in the garden. Once we no longer need the jugs for the garden we recycle them and then start all over saving them in the winter again.

We also take our old appliances to the recycle place, which is really nice to have. They do charge if something has fluids in it (like Freon) but really that is the best route since an old appliance isn't sitting in the woods uglifying nature and leeching toxins into the soil and ground water. We also either up-cycle or take extra scrap metal to the recycle place too. Since we have small kids we don't like any of that kind of thing laying around because its a hazard to our kids and looks awful in a junk heap. I hate junk heaps.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  2:00:43 PM  Show Profile
Krystle Townsend (countrymommy85, #2595) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate level Recycling badge!

“After getting the information on recycling here we went ahead and started recycling! We set up some bins for plastics, cans, papers and cardboard and we drop off at the center when they get full.

This turned out great! I grew up recycling so it is something I know is useful, helpful and a good thing to do!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  2:33:55 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner level ChillOver ComeOver badge!

“I received some MaryJanesFarm ChillOver powder for becoming farmgirl of the year. It wasn’t until Thanksgiving that I figured out exactly what to do with it. As my family and I sat and looked at the “Cranberry dipping sauce” from Alton Brown. We actually missed our jellied cranberries in a can. I thought, what if I had some gelatin? Then it occurred to me to put a packet of Mary Jane’s Farm ChillOver powder into it. Knowing how MaryJane recommended adding this to juice to make healthy versions of jello.

My thought worked. We had our jellied cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving this year. My daughter and son loved it. It saved the cranberry sauce for sure.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  2:40:26 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner level Recycling badge!

“Recylcing in our area is amazing, they take plastic bottles, without caps, metal, and even books, as long as they are not water damaged. We have curbside recycling that is taken every Thursday.

After reviewing everything again with my family, we found that if we keep the recycling in the garage there is a lot of cardboard/paper that we can recycle.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  3:55:41 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert level Blogging badge!

“I did several blog posts that included pictures. I love writing about our daily lives more than just quick blurbs on Facebook. I have been posting more and more on others blogs and writing a signature including my blog page. I have developed an extensive list of favorite blogs that I love to check weekly.

I have started to get comments from outside people, it is really exciting to me, that I am actually connecting to someone else. I hope to continued doing blog posts and working on expanding my network.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  4:07:27 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack (alterationsbyemily, #2951)has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate level Rocks & Minerals badge!

“My family and I attended the new rock and mineral display at the Carnegie Mellon Museum of Natural history. It was simply breathtaking to see the perfect examples of so many different types of rocks. The rooms were very dark but the rocks were displayed on glass shelves with both up lighting and down lighting. This highlighted the differences. I showed my daughter the different geometric shapes at the end of the spikes. Knowing that their molecular compounds were the basis of this.

It was like looking at art. Amazing pieces of art that were so beautifully shown. Every time I think of it and look back on our trip that was the highlights. That and the dueling tyrannosaurus-rex fossils.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  4:22:46 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner level Recycling badge!

“We have been recycling for years and many years ago the only thing we could recycle were aluminum cans which we diligently recycled. We would do roadside cleanup of trash and collect cans to add to our recycle.

We don’t live in the city so curbside recycling is not available to us, but about five years ago the city we do most of our business/shopping in, set up recycle bins in the parking lot at the city park. We were then able to recycle glass, aluminum, cardboard, phone books, and newspapers.

At this time, we are not able to recycle plastics, but do reuse certain containers as much as possible.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  4:24:02 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate level Recycling badge!

“Once we were able to recycle more items it became a priority to separate everything we could recycle into separate containers and take them to the bins when containers were full. The only thing that does not go to these bins are the aluminum cans which go to the salvage yard. My husband does a lot of business at the salvage yard purchasing supplies for his blacksmithing/welding . . or whatever else he needs. He is able to use the aluminum as “cash” for his purchases there.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  4:25:16 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert level Recycling badge!

“In the last couple of years the company that picks up our trash in the trash bin took over the recycling services for the community, moved the bins to a better location and have a better system for sorting. We have been recycling for many years and make it a priority to continue to do so. We also continue to clean up the roadside of anything that has been thrown out. The trash goes in the trash bin, the glass goes in the glass recycle, the aluminum goes in my hubby’s “cash box”. We don’t get newspapers and don’t have too much in the way of cardboard so those items don’t get collected. I have recruited neighbors who also help with roadside cleanup and recycle and I have recruited my brother-in-law who has a tremendous amount of cardboard and newspapers. We just stop by, pick those things up in our van and haul them for him.

Recycling is a commitment!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  4:36:09 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner level Languages/Culture badge!

“I am including TWO different languages in these applications, the first being SPANISH and the second one being SIGN LANGUAGE. I live in an area where there is a heavy Spanish speaking (Hispanic) population and learning Spanish has been to my benefit, in addition to the fact that I find is to be a “beautiful” language. Because of my relationships with those of Hispanic ancestry I also found it interesting to learn more about their culture. I took Spanish classes in high school many years ago and have used it regularly most of my life.
I have a 39 year-old son who was born with Down Syndrome who is also hearing impaired. We learned when he was a youngster, before the age of 10 that he has a hearing loss. Thus began the audiology assessments, PE tube surgery, hearing aids and learning SIGN LANGUAGE, etc. My daughter learned sign language as a class in high school and, at the same time, I was self teaching myself sign language. She and I not only assisted my son in his language skills but also had fun with it, communicating “privately” with each other. I know much more than how to count to 10 and to speak traditional greetings.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  4:36:56 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate level Languages/Culture badge!

“In my pursuit of the Spanish language I did research and study with individuals that were my friends, colleagues, or co-workers who were born in Mexico and moved here. They had much to offer in helping me learn more and understand more about the language, the culture and celebrations, their families, and their heritage. We currently enjoy this kind of friendship with an older couple with whom we must speak Spanish, especially the woman. The man will communicate a little bit in English but she will not. But our relationship is an amazingly communicative one.
In learning more about SIGN LANGUAGE I have studied more about the renowned actress, Marlee Matlin and Sue Thomas, known for her work with the FBI. I enjoyed learning more about them and how they helped change attitudes toward individuals who are deaf and how they did not let their disability keep them from doing what they wanted to.
I continue to hone my skills in Spanish because of the demand for its use in my community. I don’t use Sign Language as much, but try to keep up with it, mostly in some communication with my son.
I have shared this in a thread in the Farmgirls Southwest Henhouse forum.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  4:37:40 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert level Languages/Culture badge!

“As far as I know there are not any particular holidays/celebrations associated with Sign Language. I have studied the celebrations and holidays of the Hispanic culture and, while some of them are very interesting, find that those we like to celebrate are those that embrace “la familia” and “fiestas” where we can enjoy family and friends and prepare traditional food to share. I worked at our local middle school for nine years and knew many of the Hispanic girls who were looking forward to celebrating their “Quinceanera”, a tradition for girls on their 15th birthday. If I knew the student fairly well, as those who were my office student aides, I was able to help them celebrate.
My family are musicians and my husband and I traveled in our own music ministry and serve as music leaders in our local church. We have presented/performed music where songs were sung in Spanish and we have also incorporated sign language into the music. Our daughter was able to very beautifully and artistically interpret music with her sign language. While I have learned some sign language, because I’m the one playing the piano I have to leave signing to someone else. Now, when it comes to singing, I can do that AND play the piano at the same time therefore I can sing in Spanish.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  1:40:53 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner level Blogging badge!

“Tina Frey's book, "Blogging for Bliss" (which I got at the library,) was very entertaining and informative. I had already started a blog using Wordpress back in November 2012 and this book helped me learn how to use it better.

Some of the information was outdated because the internet changes so fast, but overall it was still valuable insight. I enjoyed reading the book.

The topic I chose was gardening, which is an extension of my passion for helping people to find optimal health. It to me is the next step that people should be taking to insure that what they are eating is the highest quality available.

Growing your own food is of paramount importance when you look at everything that is being done to our food supply. It is scary to me and I am doing what I can to be as self-sufficient as possible and that's what I am blogging about now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  1:46:28 PM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level "Out There" Merit Badge!

Read how she completed part 1 on Raising Jane: www.raisingjane.org/journal/10738

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  2:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Barbara Roberts (Healthy Eating, #2237) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate level Blogging badge!

“Wordpress seemed to be the hosting site for blogs that most people recommended, so that is what I went with. I had first chosen the name "Healthmaker" since that's the closest thing to "Healthy Eating" I could find that was available.

However, I just recently (after reading the book on blogging) decided to simply use my name so that any future subjects I wanted to write about could be included.

The name I finally chose for my blog is barbarajroberts.wordpress.com. My first post was written November 15, 2012 and I have done a few posts every week. It's mostly about gardening, with tips for the beginner gardener since that's what I am.

I hope to help others learn from my mistakes so that they don't have to make them. I'm going right now to list mine at Girlgab.com. Here's to a great harvest and good food from your very own garden!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page