Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  6:39:55 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-Nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“For this level I wrote letters to people in the service industry in my town. Some of the letters I typed and some were hand written depending on the level of comfort with the individual. I wrote letters to the police, fire, hospital and local government. I had already finished the Book of Awesome. Also, as part of this level I wrote a letter to the editor saying why it was important for others to do what I had done and to thank others in the community.

The letters to the service workers were pretty easy. I think its because you feel connected to them through their service. However, the letter to the editor was harder to write. I think that was because I didn't want to sound pushy. In the end I liked the assignment. I think I did okay by encouraging others to thank people in these often times thankless positions.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  6:45:12 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-Nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“So the idea here was to make you kitchen complete and functioning. I think I did that. I got rid of the items I did not need like the extra toaster, tupperware and storage containers. I got very organized and even went through my spice shelf. Anything out of date got tossed. I have a complete working and up to date kitchen now. I am usually pretty good about keeping a list as soon as we run out of something it goes on the list. So when I cleaned up this time, the list was just a little longer.

I loved it! When I started this the sun was out so it was like a super charged spring clean. I wish I had done this before I had my last big surgery. I think that prep like this would have helped when we were getting ready to do our month long meal freeze. Now I know and am ready for it.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  6:52:50 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Horton (#2695) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I researched many forms of energy including oil and natural gas, Hydroelectric, coal, nuclear, wind, solar and biomass. I researched these topics from the angle of providers of these energy forms that painted a pretty picture of all the wonders the product produces and contrasted that with reports from watchdog groups and environmental awareness groups. I wrote my findings in my journal. I further researched how our power supply company's power is generated.

Oil and natural gas are hydrocarbons and are producers of methane gas and carbon dioxide. These green house gases along with the potential for accidents such as oil spills and explosions can have a large environmental impact. Hydroelectric and coal energy production are used in similar ways using water flow or water steam to turn a turbine and run a generator. The impacts of hydroelectric power is obstruction of aquatic wildlife. It also has a significant affect on water quality by releasing the water at a higher temperature, has a loss of oxygen content, siltation, and gains in phosphorus and nitrogen content. Coal power plants increase the risk of lung cancer and produces wastes such as sludge, fly ash, mercury, uranium, thorium and arsenic.

Although there are wonderful sources for renewable energy they are not without environmental impact and waste product in their production. The energy required to make a panel for solar energy requires the same amount of energy produced in 11 years by the panel. Biomass is generated from plant and animal waste. Although it is a good renewable source of energy it also can have an impact on air quality. I contacted out energy provider and found that they use a system of hydroelectric, oil fired and biomass energy sources for their energy source.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  12:15:43 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Fishing Merit Badge!

“I learned how to tie the clinch, turle, palomar, and barrel knots; and the double surgeon's loop. The clinch and turle my father taught me when I was younger and didn't remember until I tied them again. The Palomar and double surgeon's loop were fine... But the barrel knot was the hardest for me!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  12:23:18 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-at-Arms Merit Badge!

“I had safety lessons from a local gun expert last winter at a nearby range. Because I did well, my husband bought me a new gun for Valentine's Day. I was going to send a picture of me shooting but I can't figure out how to get it from Facebook to here. So I am sending a picture of my target and gun.

I shoot well at closer range. I need more practice the farther the target goes back in yards. My new gun is lighter to hold and feels better in my hand than the one my husband has. We go shooting at the range whenever my husband has the time to go. I still need to focus on not letting the recoil ruin my shot.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  12:51:46 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Glamping Merit Badge!

“My daughter and I call ourselves the "4871 Glamping Farmgirls" and have taken our glamping setup on the road more than once. Our locations in 2012 were:
-Black Canyon City, Arizona in March
-Priest Gulch, Colorado in July
-Flagstaff, Arizona in September

Each time we set up a 10x10 EZ-UP canopy and glamped it with all kinds of pretties. We also setup a nice tent with a screened porch and glamped it as well including lace all along the edge of the rain fly, around the edge of the porch opening, etc.

Our most recent adventure was our "Backyard Glamper Party & Sleepover" at my daughter's house. We invited Farmgirls over for a tea party, potluck supper, s'mores over the campfire, craft projects, sleepover in glamped up tents, Saturday morning brunch and all kinds of fun.

Our repurpose projects include the use of sheets as curtains, lace trim from bedskirts to trim the tent, pillow shams to make new covers for decorator pillows using inflatable camp pillows, aprons as valances and table skirts, all kinds of linens for all kinds of purposes. That is to name just a few.

At our Backyard Party all the guests made memento photo albums using Mary Jane's "Glamping" oilcloth, ribbons, buttons and other embellishments. We also made card stock holders for recipes that we collected from each other. The holders were printed with bits and pieces of the different "Glamping" fabric, etc. Both projects were easy, fun and appreciated by the guests.

The OUTPOST section of the Farmgirl Connection has "photo journal" threads for ALL of our adventures with comments about what we did and the fun we had.

The most recent adventure is titled "Backyard Glamper Party . . . ". We had the most fun, to meet our farmgirl friends and meet new friends was priceless! Looking forward to the next "4871 Glamping Farmgirls" adventure.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  1:08:18 PM  Show Profile
Wendy Darnielle (wdarnielle, #4858) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Scrapbooking Merit Badge!

“I started to scrap in 2002, All my photos were in boxes. This photo album is my wedding. We did not have a a lot of pictures, and I had 2 days notice to get married. We were on our Harley so he was in leather and I was in lace. I am so glad that I preserved these years ago. I love my little book, it is small but has a lot of meaning to me and my husband loves it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  1:32:52 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“For years I had not done any quilting simply because I was not sure what it involved. Then I got an idea to hand embroider blocks in red work. Afterward I thought I could put them together in a quilt. It turned out so nice! I gave it to our youngest grand-daughter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  2:23:37 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I made a butterfly wall hanging. I practiced several techniques that were new for me, these include making yo-yo's appliqued butterflies hand quilting and mitered corners. We have a group that meets every Monday... it started as just sewing now others have joined us who knit crochet and needlepoint. We sit and work on our "projects" and chat. We swap tips and lots of stories!! I love how the wall hanging turned out and hand it on the wall in my hallway for all to see.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  2:28:02 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I have 4 wonderful grandchildren and made each of them a quilt for Christmas and finished just in time!! I had to adjust the pattern for directional designs and fussy cut blocks, and I got to quilt on a long arm machine!!

The two older grandchildren love their quilts and realize that it was made was just for them. The youngster one just love the designs, but their Mom appreciates them. I truly enjoy quilting and have already started on more!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  2:42:54 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I sewed this apron today from a kit. I really like it. I am thinking of other color combinations for others. I also think an apron and baking kit would be a good Easter gift for my granddaughter.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  2:45:29 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“This is a picture of the two aprons of my own design that I sewed. The pink apron is mine. It has attitude. The black and white one is a little different because of the likes and body type of the gift recipient. It also doesn't have the pocket with a ruffle on the top. She is already busty and would not want more attention drawn to that area. I don't go out on the town so I will be wearing mine at our family gatherings.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  4:12:32 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“In our town, we can recycle cardboard,plastics 1 and 2, newspapers, magazines,tin and aluminum cans. I wish they took glass too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  4:15:47 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I recycle weekly. Today is the day I dropped off. We do not have curbside here. We used to, but they cut it because of finances. I don't have space for a system setup so I use any plastic bags we get and then I take the bags, after recycling is dropped off, to Krogers. They have a recycling container in the lobby. I reuse jars since they don't take them. We use them for pasta, change, painting and glue for crafts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  4:22:54 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I replicated the strawberry jam we usually buy. It turned out well. I had to search the internet for a small batch recipe as there is only two of us here.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  4:33:51 PM  Show Profile
Tiffiany Joss (#4517) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I decided to make an apron like I remember Grandma wearing. So I gathered some fabric that worked with my kitchen. I cut basic shapes of rectangles then rounded the corners. I wanted the towel sewed in so I cut a flour sack in half. I want some ruffles so I cut strips and hemmed them and straight stitched them and then pinned and sewed. I decide to do by memories and not use a pattern. Hope that is alright. took me the whole afternoon to get it done. I love it. I even have a few people who asked to buy it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  4:39:42 PM  Show Profile
Tiffiany Joss (#4517) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“So I enjoyed the half apron so much I had to make a full one to match. I sat down and used the news paper to cut out a pattern. I held it up and then decide what worked. I cut it out and added as I went. I wanted it to match, yet be even more cute than the last. I just finished it and couldn't wait to share. I wore it over to my sister in laws. She loved it and is now wanting me to sew her one.

I hope you like it as much as I do.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  4:45:40 PM  Show Profile
Juanita Massey (needy, #1020) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I have been sewing aprons for myself and for friend's birthdays. They turned out real pretty. they were reversible with a pocket on both sides, with contrasting fabrics. I have made 3 so far.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  4:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“I got a fire extinguisher for the car, garage, and kitchen and installed them. My daughter and I built two first aid kits, one for the car and one for the garage, and I made two others for the kitchen and the bathroom. As we get our barn finished, I plan to make one for out there as well, and get a fire extinguisher too. Each kit is fairly specific to the kind of duty it is most likely to see. Not everything is easy to find in your neighborhood drug store though. For some things, like a triangle sling, you have to get creative. It's a perfect place to recycle old scarves.

They turned out pretty good. The ones for the car and the garage are in tool boxes, while the one in the kitchen is in a re-purposed plastic container and the one in the bathroom is in an old shower bag. I thought about what type of injuries might be addressed in each area and filled the containers accordingly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  4:40:11 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“One of the things I am trying to get away from is plastic containers, so I have collecting glass storage containers. I had more than I could use though and some of the lids were plastic with rubber gaskets and have been damaged or broken. I saved the glass containers that use the lids I have, and sent some of the containers down the road. The plastic containers for the most part went down the road with the exception of the one I used to build a first aid kit for the kitchen. The few that I kept are very handy for traveling with children.

I have space in my cupboard again!!!!! It was a small load lifted from my shoulders as I have pack rat tendencies so unloading things that still have life in them is sometimes difficult.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  4:45:17 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“We purchased a rain barrel to conserve and save water. We have a well, so calculating our usage was difficult. However, by installing the rain barrel, we can save 55 gallons of rain water. We will use it for watering the garden, and plan to install more as we can afford to. I have also researched the care of rain barrels and now have the information to make rain water drinkable in an emergency. Here is the information for others: http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/2013/04/maintaining-healthy-rain-barrel.html

I will also be sharing a photo of our barrel on my blog soon. The barrel we purchased included a rebate, and is USA made.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  4:53:55 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-Nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a half apron even if I did this badge all out of order. I actually started with the intermediate level, went to advanced and then did the beginner level so I fear that my beginner apron actually looks the best. I guess you live and learn. I followed a pattern and used both scraps from my home and scraps from the store to make this apron. It took me way more than two hours to complete this. Much closer to a full day.

I am probably happiest with this apron out of all of the ones that I made for this badge trio. By the time I got to the beginner point I had had a lot of practice!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  4:58:19 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-Nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“My daughter and I drove around our neighborhood and took pictures of the horses in our neighbors yards and even got out and touched some that came over and said hi. She liked the spotted ones and I like the plain brown ones. We spent about two hours doing this.

It was great to have that time with my daughter and to get close with the animals. We both want a horse but don't have a place to house one yet. It was great and got us talking about what kind of animal we want. We discussed ponies versus horses, etc. We now have a date planned for the library to look at breeds so that we know what kind of horse we would want if and when we do have a barn of our own.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  5:21:01 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I earned my badge by taking my 72 year old mother on three out of town trips in the last two weeks. We did things she wanted like eating out, antique shops, the mall, public library and to Lowe's to look at garden plants. My mom and I are best friends. She won't drive out of town so I drive her. She has really been feeling cooped up so it has been good for her to get out and do things. One of our favorite things is to visit public libraries in other cities because our card can be used at all of them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  5:28:35 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-Nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“This was a fun badge to earn. I spent eight weeks playing games with my family. We playing one game really because it was a five player game. The game is called Stone Age. It was perfect for the ages of my kids. It usually took about two and half hours to complete the game. We also have a habit of reading to our kids but it is fun to have them read back to us as they are getting so good at it. I like to see what they enjoy reading. They have have such different things that they enjoy.

This was a lot of fun. I thought it was interesting that the kids would complain about playing the game but then as soon as we started they would be all into it and very competitive. They really moved the game along. None of them ever asked to watch TV instead or about a movie or a game. That made me very happy.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page