Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  5:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I identified five herbs (Rosemary, Chive, oregano, thyme, basil) and and their possible uses and try at least one.

I use all of them to cook with and Rosemary oil for aromatherapy. I love herbs and am always trying to find new ways to use them.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  5:47:32 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Conner (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I started an herb garden when I moved in with my husband. I have thyme and sage growing along with a few others. Spring has them growing and I am harvesting already! I love being able to walk out the door and get what I need.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  5:53:27 PM  Show Profile
Lori Day (#4829) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I got six variety bags for different forms of shopping and have been using them. I have notice it seems to get more in each bag and they seem to be more organized as well as being wonderful for the environment. Picture includes my dog Princess and Cody, a wonderful future farmerette in the making.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  6:02:47 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-Nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I took many more than 50 pictures that imitated the styles of Steve McCurry the most but also Annie Liebovits and Eve Arnold. The nature pictures that I took take most after Ansel Adams in my opinion my for this study I focused mostly on portraits. I chose my best ten portraits and linked them to the farm girl chat room. I also read several books on the aforementioned photographers and their techniques.

I think I did ok. I also posted the same ten pictures on FB. The comments have been very supportive. I've also had several offers to shoot friends children so I take that as a compliment.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  6:11:37 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (#4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“Using colored pencils I drew the cover of a book I recently finished reading (leaving off the writing). Well, It's not going to win any awards, but it's not too bad. My wonderful husband thinks I should frame it and hang it up, but I'm not so sure.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  6:13:38 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (#4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I currently have 5 laying hens in a chicken tractor. It turned out wonderful! My husband helped me build the tractor. I then painted it red and white to match our barn. I love knowing that my eggs came from healthy well cared for chickens. We can not let them roam the farm due to regulations for selling Grade A milk, but I move the tractor twice a day so the chickens get fresh pasture and in the winter time they get some of our cow hay to peck at.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  6:18:07 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I made a trellis from scrap wood and the bean teepee from tree limbs we cut down and string. It was an excellent weekend for working outside. The trellis will hopefully hold the morning glories that grow along our fence. I am not sure about the bean teepee. I tried cucumbers, green beans and pumpkins last year and the drought killed them. I moved perennials that I want to keep where they would grow better. It was so nice to work in the dirt.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  11:41:34 AM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for completing the second step for an Intermediate Level "Out There Women" Merit Badge!

To earn the first party my intermediate level I cooked a full meal over just a campfire. To complete my intermediate badge I either needed to make my own trail mix and/or pemmican using this recipe ...

Learn to make Half-Cup Pemmican with MBA Jane here: www.raisingjane.org/journal/11604

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  4:12:02 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I researched and found the meaning of the following terms:

F-stop:the setting that determines how much light enters the lens and passes through to the film.

shutter speed: the length of time the shutter is open exposing the film

ISO(film speed): sensitivity rating of film - the lower the number the less sensitive it is to light therefor a longer time is required to capture the image.

Depth of field: the area in an image from front to back that is in focus.

Framing: Positioning the subject of a picture inside a border in the photo - helps to add depth to a photo.

Rule of thirds: Helps to create a balanced picture by dividing the view finder with 2 horizontal and 2 vertical lines. The subject of the photo is then placed on any of the 4 intersecting points.

Leading lines: Lines in a photo that lead the eye from one part of a picture to another.

I love taking photos around the farm! It was interesting to see that I already use some of the terms I researched (such as leading lines and the rule of thirds). I put some of the photos on the chat room A Farm of My Own under the topic Merit badge photos. I am looking forward to replies about them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  4:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“Two things have happened, the first is that I am reorganizing my sewing room onto newly installed shelves, and the second is that garage sale season is beginning. I have taken a lovely wooden box and begun putting all the buttons that have been floating around in it so I can find them. While perusing a sale, I found a large glass jar full of buttons that used to belong to the sellers mother. Now I just have to figure out what I have.

I have a lot of interesting and wonderful buttons. I have begun grouping like buttons together and sorting out the ones I know are old and the ones made of shell or glass. My daughter has also been eyeballing my button collection so it is only a matter of time before the jewelry begins with the sparkliest ones.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  4:22:11 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I sat on the bench looking out on the orchard and sketched the plum tree in bloom. The lighter colors don't show up so well and it is difficult to put in a background then put a second layer on top. I may just stick to sketching patterns with my colored pencils.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  4:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Autumn Day (#3964) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I read the Wilton website regarding cake decorating basics. I also took Wilton courses 1-3 and am currently enrolled in course 4.

I love, love, love it! I have become a little obsessed with cake decorating. I am even looking for advanced courses in my area so I can continue learning after I complete what Wilton offers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  4:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Autumn Day (#3964) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I wrote in my gratitude journal and read one entry from The Book of Awesome daily for one month. I really liked taking the time each day to think about the things I was thankful for. It helped me focus on the positive and appreciate some of the small blessings that otherwise might have been overlooked.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  4:17:02 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I made a Canning Cookbook with my favorite canning recipes. On the front cover I put pictures of my Grandmother, my Mother, Me & Granddaughter. I named my book, Farmgirls, from One Generation To the Next. I wrote short history of how each one of us was and is Farmgirls. Then I wrote a story about how I belong to MaryJane's Sisterhood, that I made this book to earn a merit badge and how it all has made a difference in my life. I used colored paper to print the recipes, on each page I cut out fruits & vegetables from seed catalogs to glue on.

I made four of these books. I gave one to my sister, best friend, friend and myself. I also copied the story section with family pictures and my Farmgirl history for my granddaughter. It turned out just beautiful and is a very nice heirloom to pass down.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  4:23:31 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I continue to recycle. I just bought a new computer, the store I bought it at, also will take the old one to recycle for free. I am in the process of setting up a better system for keeping the recycle stuff in the shop until I am able to take it in.

I have recruited my grand kids into recycling and teaching them how important it is to dispose of things properly, they learn more even at school and home. I also started taking my large cardboard boxes to recycle instead of burning them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  4:31:54 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I sewed a small quilt of rectangles, batted, backed and then hand quilted in simple running stitches. It was for my puppy and he likes it.

We had a saying in the quilt guild: "The quilt from hell." This one was that. For something so simple, whatever could go wrong did. Maybe it was because it was late last night when I made it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  4:48:52 PM  Show Profile
Erin Rockafellow (Erin Rock, #4131) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“This badge was great to earn I had been looking for a reason to read 'The Secret Life of Bees' and this was it. The book was beautiful and I'm going to buy it for our family bookshelf. The vanishing bees movie was not something I knew existed but I did know about the horrible problem. The Easter bunny brought everything to the kids baskets this year to build a bee and butterfly garden and we have our plans drawn up we just need to wait for our last frost date to plant everything. This was fun to do and I am excited about how the garden is going to turn out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  4:58:36 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Burger (Grammy Tammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Our community has used recycling for years. We have community issued bins to place our recycling at the curb every week. We can recycle papers, glass and some plastics. Our county does not require sorting of our recycling so that makes it really easy. We keep an extra bin inside and place paper/cardboard products in a paper bag (just for ease of organization), all glass and plastic is placed in the bin after it is washed. It feels good to not throw everything in the land fill.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  5:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Burger (Grammy Tammy, #2495) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“About a year ago I purchased a yogurt maker and Greek yogurt starter from www.CulturesforHealth.com. I was making all our yogurt from that original starter, but left it too long at one point. I tried it with chobani and it worked well. The home made yogurt is thinner than the chobani, however, the flavor is nice. I especially like flavoring it with vanilla.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  10:14:28 AM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for completing the first step for a beginner Level "Grease Chicks" Merit Badge!

"I’m pretty excited about my new badge earnings today, girls. By the time I’m done, I will officially be a grease chick. That’s right, I’m breaking into boy territory here: cars.

Up until now, all I knew about cars was how to look good driving one. (If there’s a merit badge for that, I’ll look like an over-achieving Girl Scout.) But no, today is not about driving my convertible; it’s about getting down and dirty with it."

Earn a Grease Chicks Merit Badge with MBA Jane here: www.raisingjane.org/journal/11701

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  4:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Dawn Perry (#2493) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I've always enjoyed watching birds in our area... I think I get that from my Grandmothers, as they were both avid birdwatchers. I have been researching how to attract more varieties to my bird feeders. There are several birds that I would like to be able to see and identify in the wild, tops on my list is the Loon and a Snowy owl.

I made "bird cakes" and the birds really seem to like them...they eat my homemade ones before they will eat the store bought ones, so that seems to help. It just starting to get to be nice weather so I hope more and more birds visit my feeders. I've been watching for the loons on the lake but haven't seen one yet. I did see a barred owl but no snowy owl...yet!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  4:16:44 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo(lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I learned to cook from my mother and mother in law. Their recipes are in my memory and written down. My hubby is Hungarian so I learned some dishes that weren't familiar to me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  4:19:30 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I made a binder for recipes using one I already had. I used the tabs to separate by category. I wrote down family recipes and distributed them to my adult children. I have four children. Now they don't need to call to ask how to make something.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  4:23:11 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo(lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I went through the cabinets and threw away all storage without lids or lids without containers. Its nice to know that there is a lid in the cabinet that fits.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  4:25:18 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo(lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I had been working on this one on my own for awhile. I am now finished. I got rid of pans that were too old and damaged. I also had a box of extra silverware, serving trays, glasses and coffee cups. I gave the box away to someone in my neighborhood.

It is amazing what you don't need anymore when you go down from six people in the house to just two people. I also realize now just how bad of shape my pans are in. As soon as I am able, I will replace them.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page