Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  6:29:50 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I made an angel ornament with cross stitch and embellishments. She has a cross stitch background with beads stitched on the top and silk ribbon embroidery for the bouquet she is holding. The background is perforated card stock which is not very forgiving when it comes to finding the holes from the back.

She turned out very nice and will make a great addition for a Christmas package. The hardest part is remembering to cross all your stitches the same direction.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  6:41:44 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I keep a journal for making notes, planning projects, jotting down interesting things, and anything else that needs to be put on paper, so I added a daily gratitude to my jottings. By the end of the month it was becoming a struggle to not repeat myself, but I did manage to write 30+ different gratitudes. I also started reading the book "The Book of Awesome" and have found it to be wonderful and thought provoking. I have even posted a few "awesome" thoughts of my own on my Facebook page.

Sometimes in the act of daily living we fail to notice the little things that make our life pleasurable. Taking a month to focus on those moments of joy helped put life back into perspective, at least somewhat. I need to remind myself to stop and smell the manure periodically. The smell of blooming plum trees in the evening dew is awesome!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  6:45:31 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“One of the most difficult things for me to do is keep a daily log of what I eat. I set a goal of recording my intake for a month with the hope of losing weight. Not only did I succeed at recording my intake for a month, I lost 15 pounds!!!! Yeah me!!!!

I am continuing the goal to log my intake, and am adding deliberate exercising to my log. I am continuing to choose organic and local foods and working hard to keeps meals simple for my family. I won't say it's easy when I am usually so very busy, but it has paid off. I am hoping to lose another 10 pounds.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  6:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I use a little aroma therapy and sit with my thoughts at different times throughout the day. Each morning around 4:30 am, I take out the dogs, make a cup of tea and write in the garden journal I started this year. At this time in the morning it is quiet and I can just relax before I begin my daily routine. At work I keep a diffuser that I can refill with essential oils according to my needs. Partway through the day I do a little stretching to help work the kinks out of my shoulders and neck and just sit quietly with my eyes closed.

It helps keep my stress lower, especially on the really busy days when the phone won't stop ringing and everyone needs something. As the only woman where I work (and a good listener), I am often called upon by the men to listen to them vent. By the end of the day I often have a headache, so these little stress breaks help lighten the load.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  6:55:52 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“While I have done any number of paintings with acrylics, I have been wanting to try water colors, so I got some water color pencils and water color note cards and went to town. I painted a different picture on each of the cards and had the kids do a couple as well. I have also visited our local art gallery (Arts Alive) and shop in Enumclaw as well as a small gallery in nearby Tacoma. I am very interested in local art in a variety of mediums. Last year I participated in the art walk in nearby Gig Harbor. My daughter and I helped with the sidewalk chalk art at the event. There are some incredibly talented people in this community and this country.

So far I have sent three of the cards off to friends and family with notes inside of them too. One was for my grandmother. She keeps things from her grandchildren and great grandchildren on her refrigerator, so I thought it might make a nice addition. The art galleries gave me lots of ideas for possible projects in the future as well as local artisans that I could possibly purchase items from (like maybe a cheese mold for hard cheeses since I don't want to use plastic).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  4:15:06 PM  Show Profile
Terri Wedding (teacups, #5009) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I have already been trying to go green. This inspired me to clean out my cabinets and get rid of everything I had left that was not green. I had my teenage daughter go through it all with me. I also explained to her the importance of not using the chemicals. I also made a notebook with recipes for homemade cleaners that I already had and started working on making more home green cleaners from the recipes I have found online. I checked out the difference between the store "green" cleaners and the made at home cleaners and I definitely want to start making more of my own. I know they are safe and they cost a whole lot less.

I think it turned out to be very successful and I believe I have convinced a friend to go green now too. I made her a basket of basic cleaners along with the recipes on index cards. Once she saw how easy it was to make them and how cost efficient, she said she was going to go home and look up more information as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  4:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-Nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Self-Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I learned how to dry herbs and then created many of the blends in the Ideabook. I have two weddings coming up so I made 11 jars of blends for the two weddings as gifts. I also painted the jars to make them more fancy with the couples initials. I haven't added the tissue paper yet because I didn't want them to get dusty but I think you will get the idea.

This was very informative and made my house smell great. I also think this will make my gift very personal especially since one of the brides, my sister, is moving to England right after the wedding. Thanks for this great idea.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  4:34:17 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-Nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I worked hard over the last two weeks not to have any errors via text message or typing. This was harder than I thought. My texting had become more sloppy than I had noticed. I also used a dictionary to write down uncommon words and practice them along with their spelling and meaning.

I enjoyed this task. I am a journalism major so it was fun to go back and play with words and also learn some new ones. This also served as a refresher and a great way to pull myself out of the rut I was in with the short hand texting lingo. I'm really very glad I opted to take on this option.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  4:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I have always been interested in the Cajun culture. I have read that if you spend enough time in Louisiana, at some point you'll be touched by the sweetness of the Cajun people. Their openness, their tolerance, their joie de vivre draws you in.

They began as French settlers in the remote settlement of Acadie on the southeast coast of Canada in the 1600's. Acadian began arriving in Louisiana gradually becoming known as Cajuns.

I learned about how their music began with the Violin and ancient French folk dances. that Cajun food emerged from local ingredients that ended to be one pot meals.

Cajun French is the language they speak, I have researched and learned bonjour is hello and how to count to ten in the Cajun dialect. I have found the Cajun culture very interesting and hope to visit New Orleans someday,”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  4:57:58 PM  Show Profile
Terri Wedding (teacups, #5009) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I have made laundry detergent with Fels-Napha, Borax, Washing Soda, Castile Soap and a few drops of Lavender Essential oil and Lilac Fragrance. I also made the following cleaners: Window - with water, vinegar, lemon juice and rubbing alcohol. An All Purpose cleaner - with water, vinegar, castile soap, peroxide, tea tree oil and lemongrass essential oil. I made a Pergo floor cleaner - with water, vinegar, dish soap and lavender essential oil.

I decided I would also make a spider repellant while I was at it. Because I am scared of spiders, but I do not like spraying poison around the house (inside or out). While searching for natural recipes I found this one: water, dish soap and peppermint essential oil. I also added spearmint. I really am scared of spiders, so I figured the more mint, the better.

I usually make my own laundry soap, mostly liquid. This time I made a dry laundry soap, using a different recipe. I washed a load of clothes with it, and it works just as well. I must say I like the Zote soap smell better. The other cleaners seem to work just as well as the commercial cleaners and I believe smell much better. I have seen no spiders in the house since I sprayed. I do not know if it is really working, but it gives me a peace of mind and it smells really good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:04:30 PM  Show Profile
Connie Warren (#3392) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I purchased, or was given, bags for any kind of shopping. The large chick developer bag is my newest addition for the flea market as well as the grocery market. It holds a lot! I do try to get the ones that can go in the laundry. I have about 20 in my laundry room that are ready to go out the door with my family.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:12:39 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-nine, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Make-do Merit Badge!

“I spent well over 25 hrs making two bags. They were similar in that the directions were not easy for me to figure out but they are different after that. Everything I used was re purposed except for the thread. I used old jeans Velcro plastic and cardboard for the larger bag. For the smaller bag I used fabric from old pants, a tie from and old sweatshirt, an old button and denim for the lining. The patterns were also free from online sources.

I am very happy with the smaller purse/bag even though it took me a while to figure out the pattern. The larger bag took me forever to figure out and gave me all sorts of grief and I am not happy with the end product. I guess that happens sometimes. The material is so heavy that it is not practical for use. It was recommended for denim but it doesn't hold its shape and is so large and bulky and I was looking to make gifts... I guess this happens every once in a while. I am glad I followed through. I don't think my disappointment has to do with the reuse of materials just with the pattern I chose. I ended up breaking three sewing machine needles on this bag for example.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:16:10 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“We have a collection of about 18 shopping bags. We keep our bags in 2 different places, the back of our van for grocery shopping trips and in my purse/diaper bag for quick trips. In the last 3 weeks, we have only gotten 4 plastic bags (and we go grocery shopping every Saturday morning.

We are very happy with the reusable bags we use. In our area there, we are still in the minority for using them so the cashiers don't always like us, but that is ok!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:22:35 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I started to research ways to clean without the aid of toxic cleaning many years ago when our first daughter was a baby. We have since purchased a book about natural cleaners for the whole home (shampoo, condition etc…)

Both our all purpose cleaner and our furniture polish are completely homemade.I am very happy with the cleaners we have made. They clean well and I feel good knowing that we aren't polluting the air in our house with chemicals.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:24:54 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We found that our recycling drop off is on Fort Leonard Wood. They accept paper, glass, most plastics, cardboard and cans. Curbside recycling is not available in our area at this time. Its very similar to our recycling center in Virginia and Germany. We are happy with the recycling center on Fort Leonard Wood.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:27:25 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“After learning what is allowed on Fort Leonard Wood. I set up a tote to take recycling in. We try to use reusable glass as appropriate. It is a pretty good system. Even our little ones know about our recycling system and have been to the recycling center. They now recycle on their own!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“When we moved into this house, I vowed to make our kitchen as efficient as possible. We were coming from a pretty crazy kitchen in Virginia. We organized our storage containers and recycled or donated those we didn't need. I was amazed at how much we didn't use! We have a lot more cabinet space in our "Tupperware" cabinet. Our kitchen cabinets look great and I can see everything.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:34:30 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I sat down with my husband and talked about different things that were missing and when we received our tax refund, we added the last thing... a kitchen aid stand mixer! Our extra kitchen tools were donated to our church free market. I am so happy with our kitchen. I really feel like I can work in there and not feel like I don't have the stuff I need. The stand mixer really pulled everything together.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:39:16 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“Pop tarts! We gave them up because they weren't that good for us and then I got a new cookbook that had a recipe and we started making our own!

Yummy! My husband loves them, I love them and the girls love them. I love that I don't have to feel guilty about us eating them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:41:24 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“We have made fruit roll ups and potato chips using the same cookbook for the pop tarts we made. They are so good. I burnt a batch of potato chips but they were still good. We now set aside a day to bake and cook all our favorites instead of adding them to our grocery cart.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:45:00 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“We made yogurt using a slow cooker and we make buttermilk every week when we make our butter. The yogurt was good, the kids didn't like it as much as the store bought, but I was still learning about how to add flavor to it. I liked it.

We buy milk from a farm every week and use the cream we skim off to make butter... and we get buttermilk!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:48:29 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We have 3 chickens and 2 ducks. Last summer we had 15 chickens and 4 ducks. We butchered some for meat, this winter was hard on us and we lost some hens.

I LOVE IT! I just love watching the chickens and ducks walk around. When we have extra eggs, we pass them along to friends. Last summer we actually were selling them we had so many.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:52:26 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“I am a piano teacher. I have 3 home school students and I teach 1 of my own. We listen to different types on music during the day for our own home school. I am partial to big band. I love it. Music is a big part of how we worship in our home.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:55:26 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“We have first aid kits in the car and in the kitchen. We have a fire extinguisher in the laundry room, right off the kitchen. We test our alarms every 6 months. Our first aid kits have come in handy. I am an old combat medic so first aid has always been something I am familiar with.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  5:04:54 PM  Show Profile
Jacki McGinnity (CraftedByMama, #5059) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I have a sewing/craft room set up with a rainbow of thread colors, buttons, several types of scissors and all the pins you could want! This is our first place where I could have a sewing room and it makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. It has really inspired the kids to sew!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page