Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  4:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Mary Fitzpatrick (BusyBeeMary, #3232) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Make It! Merit Badge!

“I Have a few leftover Pallets from building my composting bins... I was looking on Pinterest and saw a Potting Bench made from 2 Pallets. I had four pallets and a HUGE garden and no working table out in the garden. It made perfect sense to me that I needed to make one for my Garden. And since I am working on a fundraising event for the Local Animal Shelter I made one to donate to the auction part of the event. First thing is to gently separate the boards. Patience is everything. Slow and steady is the name of the game, as most boards would be happy to split or break apart. Then I built the frame. It was quite easy. I did not use the 2x4 from the pallets, as they were in to bad of shape, I bought 2 2x4s for the base and frame. It only cost $5.00. I basically started with the sides, the back piece measured 60 inches high. Then about 34 inches up from the ground with a depth of 26 inches I added the board that the table would rest on with a Leg running down from that. It looked like a backwards h and a h.

Then adding the front and back boards to connect the back and front to the two sides. I then took a piece of 2x4 and hammered them from the back leg to the front leg about 5 inches from the ground. This would become the bottom shelf base. I then added the table top boards and the bottom shelf base. I then put some pallet boards on the top part of the back of the bench. and placed a board on the very top to create a shelf. I plan on adding hooks or fancy knobs to use as planting tool hangers. I stained it to keep it a little more weather resistant and help the wood last longer. This was a fun project. I enjoy the fact that I finally have a nice working surface in my garden and it was recycled wood from pallets that makes it special.

I love this potting bench. It was a great way to recycle and a useful use of the wood that would otherwise just sit, decompose... or who knows what. It will come in extremely handy in my garden, next to my soon to be built greenhouse. I wish I had made one sooner... I have the idea to make another one just like it and put a sink built into the table so I can wash the vegetables or have a water source in my garden to use other than out of the hose. I will place it by my water source and I will hook a drain hose so that the water that goes into the sink and through it will water the garden. I grow a 1/4 acre of food and dragging all that produce from the garden into the house creates a big mess... so this will help a lot.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  4:47:49 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-Nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“For this level I made two aprons from the left over material I had in my home. The main apron is old jeans and the trim is from old baby blankets for my boys. Then I used ribbon for the ties. I got the idea from a picture I saw so there was no pattern and that was the hardest part. I didn't use gathering on this project but I did on the first apron. This apron project took me from 11:00am til 6:30pm. I also wore a different apron while at my mothers home. I also consider her a friend so I hope that meets the criteria.

My boys were very happy to have these both for cooking and crafting. I love that they are heavy duty and masculine. Also, they are a great way to recycle. As I said I did these first so my apron dates are out of order.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  4:59:19 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Smith (Kat-Nina, #4813) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Families Forever Merit Badge!

“I kept track of how much TV the family watched for a week. I was pleasantly surprised. Not to say that we can't cut back but it wasn't was as much as I thought. What we did watch was mostly educational stuff for the kids or at least things that I approve. The kids wanted to change TV time for game time as a family and that seemed like a fun choice. We made a list of ten ideas of better ways to spend our time as a family. We talked about having family discussion time, craft nights, fix it night around the house, service nights,etc.

It was great to have everyone thinking out side of the box as a family unit. Now there are five of us so not everyone agreed on each thing but I can see us doing most of the things on the list at some point in the near future so I call that progress. I love that in my kids, they like new things and aren't stagnant.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  5:18:16 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“I replicated rolls and pretzels last afternoon and evening. We had the rolls for supper. Then despite our diet, my husband and I ate most of the twelve pretzels. I did half of the pretzels with salt and half were sweet. They were really good. The dipping in baking soda water before rising I had never heard of before. Finding everything organic isn't that easy for me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  5:28:42 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“We now plant over 50% of our garden with heirloom seeds/plants. We continue to save seeds, and this year have already swapped seeds with my husband's co-workers. We feel that there is an abundance of genetically modified foods in our society today, and the only way to continue to stay healthy, and receive the nutrition our bodies need, is to continue to save heirloom seeds and to plant heirloom plants.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  5:36:09 PM  Show Profile
Teri Henningsen (Terisue, #4773) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I read online from The Basics of Photography - The Complete Guide. I found the info a little hard to comprehend. F stops and shutter speed deal with how much light is let into a picture. The rule of thirds was interesting and if you imagine a picture divided into 9 equal squares 3 x 3 and you are supposed to focus main parts of your picture to be where the lines intersect. It helps draw eyes to the main focus of the picture. I love to take pictures with my Ipad. In fact, it has become my camera.

I am sharing a few pics with you about my life as a Farmgirl sister who is actually a urban Farmgirl, living in town - but on the edge of town. It was fun learning just a little about photography. I am thinking of entering some of my photography at our local county fair this summer.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  5:41:30 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“These are the four acrylic paintings I just finished late tonight. We saw an art exhibit in Decatur,IL. I am only pleased with three of them. They are based on photos I took when I worked on birds badge. The one that varies from my photo is the one with flowers(wrong season). I thought that the picture needed something else. That is also the painting I don't like.Birds are not easy to paint when you are a beginner like me. I have done folk art but this was much harder.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  5:46:05 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Houlihan (houligan19, #3828) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I made a batch of raw milk yogurt. It came out delicious! I even saved the whey to make bread the next day, which was also delicious.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2013 :  5:50:56 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“This spring I have planted Heirloom seeds from Baker Street Seeds. I have been buying my seeds from them for the past 6 years. So far I have planted, Mustard,India, Mesclun, snow peas, sugar ann snap peas.

I am in the process of reading "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds." I especially love the part where she encourages you to keep a Garden Book. I have always kept a record of what I plant, can, how I work the soil and what produces, but until now I haven't kept a good record of the weather and what goes on in the world.

I love planting Heirloom seeds, knowing that my ancestors might have used some of these and I want to pass the knowledge down to my Grandchildren. I also will have many years of reading this book every spring.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  3:40:51 PM  Show Profile
Justine Thompson (JThomp, #2904) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“My oldest got his first car last year so I put together a first aid kit for him as a birthday present. We've had first aid kits in our other cars for a long time but I did take this as an opportunity to get rid of anything old and refill what needed to be refilled. The same with the two inside the house.

Next, I made sure that all the fire extinguishers we have (kitchen, laundry room, and garage) are still in good order. Finally, I checked all the smoke detectors in the house and they are in good working order.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  4:22:34 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Whitney (TammyW, #4946) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“Since I am already a knitter, I decided to take on a new pattern and I knit my baby girl a new sweater. I finished it with vintage buttons that a friend sent to me.

I also taught one of my girl friends how to knit. She is starting with a simple garter stitch scarf.Rebecca wore her new sweater to church today and she looked beautiful! The vintage buttons were absolutely the perfect finishing touch.

My friend is knitting away! Tomorrow I am going to take a look at her work and maybe move on to purling.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  4:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Diana Boles (many feathers, #4980) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I created a permanent compost bin in my backyard summer of 2012 using discarded shipping pallets. It wasn't working out so well, as things were too compact. I modified it in the late winter early spring of 2013. The original was dismantled and pieces used to create a new, improved bin. This bin also used discarded railroad ties and circular slices of tree trunks. Now, there are three bins for flipping and turning.

This second version is much bigger and much easier to work with. The waste now has room to breathe and breakdown. While the first version was a good idea, the second version is proving to work. Already I can see the worms munching away.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  4:55:14 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Foster (littlepurpleflower, #4962) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I started by seeing what I already had and discovered that I was actually missing several of the items. So I went out and bought different colors of thread (I only had black, white, and blue), more straight pins, safety pins, and went through a friends stash of buttons to re-supply mine. For my pin cushion, I took a 2.5" square and sewed it into a triangle shape and used left over yarn to stuff it.

I feel like I have a well stocked basic sewing kit now. I already had good scissors and a measuring tape. The pin cushion was fun to make. I added it to the pin cushions that my great Aunt made out of my great Grandmother's old material. I added it all into a basket that has a flip up lid.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  5:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Ciara Neill (infinite_wallflower, #5005) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Shutterbugs Merit Badge!

“I researched the terms given for my sketchbook in my art classes. Digital photography is my point of interest, so I researched the basics of the terms given to research. Then I took the 20 photos of living the farm girl lifestyle. Some were using film and others were taken digitally. I focused on how a farm girl should be constantly trying to educate themselves on different things, and with traveling.

I learned a lot about the relationship between aperture and depth of field. I really enjoyed taking photos using film, but not all of them came out perfectly. It is really a learning process about the basics that I am excited to keep messing with.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  5:11:44 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Make-do Merit Badge!

“I made car seat covers that are fitted from the front seat. I also made a car seat cover for the back that is like a blanket that I can take off and wash. I have grandchildren that can make a mess in the back seat.

This actually took four months or so to finish. I used old jeans and jackets that we had here, but it wasn't enough. So it took time to find more without buying them. The reason it took so many is because once you cut off the legs there really isn't that much fabric. It took three pairs for each one of the front seats alone. I used the jacket fronts, bib pocket, etc for the blanket in the back to jazz it up.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  5:24:27 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Mackey (Jen Mackey, #4218) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I just purchased my first flock of chickens on 4/14/13!! I am so excited. I am feeding them organically as much as possible. I am excited to get some fresh eggs. I have been doing a lot of research on raising chickens for the past year and decided to take the plunge. My husband and I constructed the coop together. We make a great team!

I am loving my chickens. I have five hens and one rooster. They are such a joy to have! I should have done this a long time ago. My daughter loves helping me feed and water them also. ”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  5:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Rosalie Elliott (Farmerette of #4854) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I did learn some origami when I was younger, but as the badge required, I made a paper crane using a tutorial I found that explained it well. The badge also required that I learn some of the history behind Origami. I searched about it on the internet and found some rather interesting back story behind origami that I didn't already know.

My paper crane, I thought, came out fairly well and just like the tutorial showed it would look like. I'm quite happy with it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  5:41:36 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level ChillOver Come0ver Merit Badge!

“I have been wanting to use the ChillOver powder for some time. I saw the recipe in this current issue for the Strawberry syrup. I made the recipe as instructed and to my surprise it came out great. A friend came over yesterday with a cheese cake, we added the syrup to the top of the cake. My husband joined us. Shocking, he does not like cheese cake. After we enjoyed it, my friend and I sat down to decide what other things we could do with ChillOver powder. We have chosen to do another syrup next.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  5:52:49 PM  Show Profile
Norma Hart (njhart, #1661) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level ChillOver Come0ver Merit Badge!

“After yesterdays results and deciding to do another syrup with ChillOver Powder, I took a recipe for blueberry syrup from and older cookbook, and adjusted the ingredients to use the 8 cups of blueberries, increase the sugar to 2 1/2 cups sugar, process the water and berries as with the strawberry syrup, doubled the ChillOver Powder, and continued by at end of process add 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice then fill jars and hot bath.

Although the blueberry syrup is not as thick as the strawberry, it is the same consistency as real maple syrup,it also worked well on the cheese cake. Can't wait to try them both on pancakes soon.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  5:56:12 PM  Show Profile
Rosalie Elliott (Farmerette of #4854) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I spent a good amount of the day folding each origami animal, shape, or flower so that I had enough to meet the requirements of the badge. I used tutorials I found on the internet to help me.

I believe each origami I folded came out as planned. They look fairly like the ones that were pictured in the tutorials. I did not have black and white paper to make the panda so I inked one side of printer paper and left the other side blank. The one had most trouble with: Panda. The one I had most fun making: Flower (5 sheets of paper). The easiest: Heart. The most pretty one: Lily. Coolest one: Flower (5 sheets of paper). I really enjoyed making each origami and I'm happy with how each one came out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  5:59:59 PM  Show Profile
Rosalie Elliott (Farmerette of #4854) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Origami Merit Badge!

“For my "origami masterpiece" I made a 3D origami penguin from a tutorial I found. I made over 100 "pieces" that 3D origami to make my penguin and fulfill the badge requirements. After finishing my "pieces", I assembled my penguin successfully with only some difficulty.

My penguin is about 6" high and 3 1/2" wide. In some places glue is slightly visible where I tried to put the beak and eyes on, but it does not take away the overall model's look. The eyes are two punched out circles with a type of puffy paint for the reflection. The top of the head does have an inch wide opening, but it was designed to be that way.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  6:04:55 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I took twenty five minutes to sit outside and clear my head. I have had chronic pain and depression since 1993. I have researched anything I can read about that might help me. The relaxation helps me to manage both. Without daily half hour relaxation I become miserable. It helps to keep me sane, happier and moving.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  6:14:18 PM  Show Profile
Mary Ellen DeWitt(Carolina Farm Girl, #4730) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I had already accumulated about 12 reusable bags. Four of those are insulated. Then, my mother-in-law got the spring cleaning fever and gave me about 35 more bags. We can fully stock all vehicles for shopping trips, and I think it is time to share with my friends!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  6:20:42 PM  Show Profile
Lyn Szabo (lszabo, #4905) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“These are my buttons... some are old and some new. I also save new buttons, buckles, etc off of our existing clothes. Thinking about it makes me curious to find more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  6:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“My daughter and I each sorted through our button collections and made our own piece of button jewelry. I made a button bracelet using hemp string and metal shank buttons. I knotted each button into place so if the string ever broke, I would not lose my buttons.

It was a lot of fun and my daughter and I had a great talk while we were doing this. The bracelet doesn't look to bad either. I do need to collect more interesting buttons though.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page