Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  6:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Nan Roberts (Nanr42, #3594) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I read Bogging for Bliss by Tara Frey. I chose to write about making a small urban farm on the Central Oregon Coast, and started the blog on Wordpress.com. The link for it is nanroberts42@wordpress.com
and the name is nanroberts. I also added the blog to Girl Gab.

I've posted four posts so far, and I'm learning how to use Wordpress and post pictures.

The blog is up! It's going pretty well, though I have some issues with learning to change picture sizes and post them. I am, however, getting the hang of that slowly, and can do it without cussing. Mostly. Also I have some issues with Wordpress and formatting and font choices. But it's coming along.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  7:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I have read the book "Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal" by Tara Frey. There is a lot of information in it as well as a lot of great examples. The hardest part is picking a topic, but I am going to my farm "Wild Side Acres" as it will be about not just the crafts I do, but the life my family lives.

One of the things I realized is that a person can narrow herself into a hole if she is not careful. Since I do a wide variety of things, I thought it best to go with a topic that is broad enough to spread out among my many pleasures, yet small enough that it can be contained with a lifetime. I'm thinking in terms of seasonal posts as in what is happening at the time of year we are currently in.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  7:20:34 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“Getting away from the noise is calming. I need a certain amount of solitude each day in order to let my mind drift and my body relax. I have been consciously taking about 30 minutes each morning for the past two plus weeks to sit and do nothing.

It has been wonderful! Summer is coming, and with it a lot of activity. This bit of down time will help save my sanity.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  7:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I made mozzarella, yogurt cheese with herbs, Gouda, and Swiss. I am going to continue to make a variety of cheeses until I find one that works well for my environment and my time.

Cheese making is tough! I had to make a cheese press in order to make my cheeses and it turns out that my mold is too small. I am waiting to get together with a local potter to see if he can make me a couple of molds in larger sizes so I am not forced to go to plastic. I am going to continue to experiment with cheese until I find one my family enjoys and I can make with relative ease. I have found cheese making to be very time consuming and precise.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  7:29:21 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“We have added Quinoa to our diet, switched to organic tomatoes and apples, and get only organic olive oil now. I won't say it has been easy. It's very difficult to just get rid of the other stuff we have been using. It took nearly two months to get consistent though.

The quinoa has been a wonderful alternative to rice and has allowed us to cut back on other non-organic protein sources (meat). The tomatoes have had a stronger flavor and so have the apples, but I have noticed that they spoil faster, so I have to be careful with my quantities. I feel better knowing that the olive oil does not have chemicals in it. It is also nice knowing that as I switch to organic, I am loosening the hold that GMO's has on my family.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  7:34:10 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Self Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“My daughter and I sat down and made all the herbs blends, using many of the herbs I had dried this past winter, to give to her brother on his quest for cooking freedom. This past fall I hung many of my herbs in a room off of the garage to dry for the winter. When they were dry, I stipped them clear and put them in jars for cooking with.

Hanging herbs to dry is easy, stripping the stems and putting them in jars makes your shoulders ache, but is well worth it. I found that their are many herbs I am going to have to dry throughout the year in order to have enough. Making the spice blends was a lot of fun. Besides emphasizing fractions with my daughter, it gave me some new scents to work with. I am going to make a set for myself as well, with a few modifications. My son is in college and has finally decided he should learn how to cook, so these are perfect for him to work with. I am sure he will master the "grill king" title in no time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  7:38:20 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“When planning my garden, I had to pick out mostly cold weather plants and plants that have a short growing season. Of the 13 different seeds I choose, at least 9 of them can trace their roots (pun intended) to the mid 1800's or earlier, and at least 5 of them to other countries through family members. "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds" by Lynn Coulter has been a treasure trove of information and ideas. I am hoping to find a few more of these heirlooms each year for both my vegetable garden and herbs/flower garden.

There are a number of problems prevalent in the Northwest, many related to the maritime climate and short growing season. I am hoping that the heirlooms will be better adapted and not so likely to succumb to these problems. So far I have had no issues other than low germination rate among the lettuce. Time will tell. I plan to save seeds from these plants to use next year as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  7:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“Made homemade granola/oatmeal bars and homemade beef jerky using several of the spice blends.

My family is a fan of beef jerky. The cost in the store is outrageous, not to mention the horrible ingredients that are used. I had just gotten a grain-fed roast and thought why not make my own jerky. It turned out wonderful!!!! We are still deciding which rub we like best or if we are going to create a new one.

The granola/oatmeal bars are wonderful!! Very portable too. My daughter had one for breakfast in place of oatmeal and gobbled it up.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2013 :  7:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I am continuing to recycle and am slowly converting moms in my daughters Girl Scout Troop to recycle too. Since cardboard has a monetary value, I was able to get all the boxes from the cookie sales collected, baled and sold, giving the proceeds to our Troop. Any other cardboard brought in to me is also baled and sold, with the proceeds going to the Troop. It is steadily catching on.

Since my brother and I got the baler, we have been baling our cardboard and selling it, rather than filling up the land with it. Getting others to do the same is a challenge, but money does seem to make a difference, especially when someone else does the work. Using recycling as a fund raiser seems to encourage more people to practice it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  12:03:50 PM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for completing a beginner Level "Unprocessed Kitchen" Merit Badge!

"After the trauma I endured turning off all my electronics in my last badge attempt, I decided to try a merit badge that would be a little less on the stressful side, a little more on the yummy side: namely, the Unprocessed Kitchen badge—purchasing a guilty pleasure item at the grocery store and then replicating it (organically, of course) at home."

Earn a beginner Level "Unprocessed Kitchen" Merit Badge with MBA Jane here: www.raisingjane.org/journal/13821

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  12:14:39 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“1 - When I wash dishes, I don't fill sink with water. Instead I soap up my dishrag crocheted dishrag hold soap really well). I wash each dish and place, still soapy, in my dish drainer. After all are washed I set dish drainer in sink and give them a quick rinse.

2 - When showing, hop in, get wet, turn water off, soap everything from head to toe, turn water back on and rinse.

3 - Sink and shower water is used to water non eatable plants.

4 - Rain water is collected to water vegetables and fruits.

5 - When brushing my teeth I only use water to rinse out toothbrush. I use the mouthwash to rinse out my mouth, so very little water is used.
Oh, and no leaking faucets inside or outside.

I have been doing this for a while now and always use as little water as possible. It's very easy to get used to and you'll be amazed how quick you can wash dishes and take a shower, leaving more time for the things that matter most.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  12:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah Craft (Bekki, #3088) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I've probably accumulated 10-15 reusable shopping bags over the last 6-7 years that I've been using them. At first, I had a hard time remembering to bring them with me, and then I finally started just leaving them in my car. That way they were always where I could reach them in a hurry. I even have several widely woven bags for fresh produce and farmer's market finds.

Without really trying on this one, it works great. I've been doing this for quite some time now so this is finally habit for me. I really like going places that offer a discount for bringing your own bags. Our local whole foods co-op even donates money to a local charity based on bag bringers. For each bag you bring and use, they give you a token which you "vote" on your charity. Then at the end of the month, the money they saved by not having to use bags is donated to the winning charity.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  12:56:26 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Seaman (Red Dog, #5107) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“This apron can be worn 2 ways, with buttons or without the buttons attaching the bib to the half apron. The skirt of the apron is made of 5 panels with rick rack top stitched on each seam. A glamper is cross stitched on the bib of the apron. The important lesson of this apron was how straight the seams needed to be for it to come together and how the buttonholes need to be evenly spaced or it becomes very lopsided. I really like how it turned out.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  1:00:02 PM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for completing a beginner Level "Backyard Farmer" Merit Badge!

"Well, my little chickadees, I'm moving on to successful Farmgirl in a speedy fashion! I've done it: I'm an animal owner (Ms. Twinkles doesn't count, she thinks she's a person and I hate to dash her hopes and dreams of world domination by telling her she's a Pomeranian).

I brought home three of the cutest, spunkiest, most adorable baby chicks EVAH!"

Earn a beginner Level "Backyard Farmer" Merit Badge with MBA Jane here: www.raisingjane.org/journal/14583

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  1:04:58 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Belker (MayFay, #5093) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“Here are five herbs and some of their uses...

1. Mint: good for flavoring cold drinks, used as seasoning in cooking, and provides relief for upset stomach medicinally.
2. Basil: delicious with tomatoes, variety holy basil is said to calm and open the emotions to love.
3. Parsley: freshens breath, good seasoning for food prep, and reseeds well in its second year.
4. Bay: good for soups or homemade beans, can repel bugs.
5. Cilantro: blend with onion and chile and add to the cooking water for rice, dual-purpose since the seeds are coriander.

For my herb use, I put a sprig of fresh mint in some homemade strawberry-limeade. Very refreshing! It's very interesting learning all the varied uses of even common herbs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  1:23:19 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I am growing Apple Mint and Oregano in large flower pots. The herbs are sitting outside of my front door to where they are easy access for use. I love the smell of the Apple Mint when a leaf is picked.

Not only do the herbs remain contained in one area in the pots but they also decorate the front entry to my house.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  1:25:33 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I obtained a poster of Missouri Songbirds from the Missouri Department of Conservation. I lists and tells about all they songbirds that can be found in Missouri. There are 20 songbirds listed and pictured on this poster.

Some of the birds listed that I am interested in are the Eastern Bluebird, American Robin, Chickadee, Meadowlark, Northern Cardinal, and American Goldfinch.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  1:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“I have read the book "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds” by Lynn Coulter. I was an very enjoyable book. As I started my garden this year, I chose seeds from Baker Creek because they are heirloom seeds and Ferry Morris because they are organic seeds.

So far I have planted pumpkins, sage, cucumbers, peppers, and lettuce using these seeds. I am hoping to save some of the seeds this year when I harvest my crops to use next year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  1:49:30 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Smith (kristina72, #5176) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I set up a recycling area near the kitchen garbage bin. This works well! Whenever I am cleaning up I can take recycle and garbage to the same place and place items in the correct bins.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  1:54:39 PM  Show Profile
Darla Armstrong (cowgirlup@21, #4391) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“Since early April I have organized and trained with the students Tuesdays and Thursdays jogging for a half hour. I have also been watering my horses almost every day , and have been trying to ride my horse 2 times a week and train for competitive trail riding. That is exercise, just try it!

The marathon is the 16th of June so we will be training until then. The marathon training is going well. I am still slower than the kids but I will train this winter first on a stationary bike, hopefully, I need a new one and on my tread mill. Maybe a bit of aerobics etc, I will have more room in the new house once we move in.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  2:18:04 PM  Show Profile
Carol Johnson (carolj, #1823) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Honestly, I just made the decision to be a true Farmgirl as school ended this year, although I have enjoyed the magazine for many years and even have a sisterhood number which I just renewed. So I perused the merit badge list, printed out the requirements for the badges I wanted to earn, and set up a notebook to track my progress. The cover of the notebook is decorated oh so cutely. I then set goals for myself to put my summer break to good use.

I am applying for all three levels of Recycling under the Cleaning Up category.

Beginning Level
I discovered quite some time ago that we recycle paper at school. The only catch: no staples. So I put a designated can in my room and use it regularly and encourage my students to do so, too.

Our town set up a huge and very convenient recycling receptacle near the city offices. Recyclables do not have to be sorted, just clean. They accept paper, plastics 1-7, and all metals. The nearest glass recycling facility is in North Augusta, South Carolina, about an hours drive from here.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  3:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Carol Johnson (carolj, #1823) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“To recycle at home, I put two small trashcans in the pantry and fill them as I use items. Empty food containers are washed each night and put into the bins in the morning. I also have established a compost pile for all the food scraps allowed.

I have now been using these for more than six months and feel guilty if I ever get lazy and don’t. I have even washed out cans at school to bring home to put in the recycling.

Please note all calendar dates are estimates. I was so out of the loop I didn't know I could earn a badge for this. I'll completely understand if you choose not to honor this application.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  3:47:58 PM  Show Profile
Carol Johnson (carolj, #1823) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“My dear husband has joined in the effort by setting up two 30-gallon cans with lids outside. Now when the little bins are filled in the house, I empty these into the larger containers, and he takes them into town to empty into that receptacle. We have both noticed that we fill the recycling cans well before the 30-gallon trash can that he hauls to the dumpster.

I am so delighted to have become more conscientious of how the things I buy impact the environment. It is also gratifying to have my husband on board and for him to be hauling things to town instead of me trying to remember to empty the containers after school because I ran out of time on the way there.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  4:19:27 PM  Show Profile
Lynne Parmenter (#5089) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I sewed a quilt by machine. The name of the quilt is Trip around the World Quilt. I had a difficult time with cutting the pieces to make strips and then laying them out... but I did it!!! It is just a lap quilt but it is my first try at it. I now want to learn how to sew a quilt by hand and to make another quilt by machine, a larger one, for my bed.

I think it came out good. Don't look to close at the pictures... you may find some mistakes :)

I did learn a lot and now on my next one it should be easier. Looking forward to quilting much more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  4:49:13 PM  Show Profile
Patti White (P.Ann, #4415) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I first learned to sew fabric scraps together just to make a bigger piece while sitting on the front porch swing with my Grandma in the early 60's. She would take the waistband off old gathered 'poodle' skirts that my aunts had worn and we would have yards of fabric to 'play sew' with. I don't remember not knowing how to sew. She made me feel that I always could. The idea of making a blanket from scraps was always there because I was taught to save every scrap for "something else later".

Nine patch was my first pattern and I loved the chain sewing. Adding one block to another, never cutting the thread until all the squares were gone was a fun concept compared to the tedious tissue pattern in making clothes. The batting was a flannel blanket and the backing was cut big enough to wrap to the front for binding. We tied them with several strands of crochet thread and done! I learned so much from my Grandma on that front porch swing. Everyday I am reminded just how much.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page