Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  4:53:37 PM  Show Profile
Patti White (P.Ann, #4415) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“Since 2005 I have attended the Quilt Shop Hop in this area with my Mom and at least one of my sisters. It has been our tradition to purchase the single block kit offered at teach shop and make a smaller version of the theme quilt. I have sometimes used the recommended block pattern but have recently created my own designs using the given amount of fabric in each kit. We met at my Mom's and designed, cut and machine pieced this table topper.

The pattern is actually 2 placement patterns arranged side by side and then bordered with left over strips. I machine quilted it at home and hand sewed the binding. It's a challenge to work with the fabric colors that are a "given" and not something I selected. I am pleased to add this one to my collection.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  5:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Patti White (P.Ann, #4415) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I started cross stitching many years ago when my kids were small and I needed quick, easy to carry projects to take along with me. Most of projects were Christmas ornaments or jar lid covers and were given as gifts. When my first grandchild, Jensen Ray was born in 2001 I decided to make a birth sampler with his name, date of birth and weight. I mounted it on mat board and put it in a 5x7 frame. I now have a total of 6 grandchildren and each one has received a birth sampler. The most recent, little Ivan Patrick, was born May 11, 2013 and I am submitting his birth sampler as my beginning cross stitch project.

I am newly intrigued with cross stitching and the beautiful diverse stitches, other than the standard "x". It is amazing what creativity comes to light with a needle, thread and four holes in Aida cloth. Love the challenge!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  5:05:46 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Seaman (Red Dog, #5107) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I started by making a shawl of learning the basic stitches of single crochet & double crochet. I found that the shawl turned out better than I expected. I gave it to someone to use as a prayer shawl.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  5:08:14 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Seaman (Red Dog, #5107) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“The granny square afghan is a modified version with half squares. Learning to change yarn colors & to match up the square were somewhat of a challenge. I feel it has a homey feeling to it. I am giving it to my nephew for a wedding gift.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  5:18:07 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Seaman (Red Dog, #5107) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“The shawl is crocheted with silk & alpaca wool. The shawl was begun at the top & worked down. I learned how to decrease, to skip stitches to leave a space & then pick the back up on the next row. There are also glasses beads embellishing the trim around the shawl. I felt I did a good job on this shawl & wore it to a wedding this past weekend.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  5:25:53 PM  Show Profile
Deborah Meyer (dmeyer, #4099) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I chose to research Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo. He was born 1499 – and passed away in 1543. He was a Portuguese explorer noted for his exploration of the west coast of North America on behalf of Spain. Cabrillo was the first European explorer to navigate the coast of present day California in the United States. He helped found the city of Oaxaca, in Mexico.

I found out that Cabrillo is now remembered as the first European to travel the California coast and that many streets and buildings in California bear his name today. I am also continuing to learn more Spanish words and phrases.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  5:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (Narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“Rennet is a combination of enzymes found in the stomach of young cows, goats and sheep. When added to milk it causes the milk to coagulate, forming the curds and whey necessary in cheese making. I purchase rennet in the tablet form and store in the freezer, so it's ready when I am. (If you prefer there are vegetarian alternatives available.)
The first cheese I made is mozzarella. This is how I learned:

Ingredients/equipment:

Stainless steel pot
Microwave safe bowl
Slotted spoon
Dairy thermometer
Long knife

1-gallon fresh milk – I use raw milk
1 1/4 cup chlorine free water
2-teaspoon citric acid
¼ tablet (or ¼ tsp. liquid) rennet – I use the tablet form
1 tsp cheese salt
**** I get the rennet, cheese salt and citric acid from www.cheesemaking.com

If using raw milk pasteurize at 145 degrees for 30 minutes, cool QUICKLY.

Dissolve ¼ rennet tablet in ¼ cup water, set aside.
Dissolve 2 tsp citric acid in 1 cup water, pour in your pot.
Pour milk in pot stirring vigorously, heat milk to 90 degrees, while stirring.
Remove from burner and stir in rennet, mix well but don’t over stir.
Put lid on pot and leave alone until curd forms (5 to 15 minutes)

When you run the knife thru. the cuts should remain visible.
Cut into a “checker board” pattern.
Place back on burner and heat to 105 degrees, stirring gently, don’t break curds.
Take off burner and continues stirring for 3 to 5 minutes.
Gently spoon curds into glass bowl leaving as much whey in pot as possible.
Heat bowl with cheese curds until it reaches 135 degrees.
Add salt and stretch cheese until smooth and firm.
Pour off whey as needed.
Mold into any shape you want and chill, the cold will make cheese hold the shape.

It looks like a lot if steps but it’s REALLY easy and fun to make. Mozzarella is a good cheese to start with, because you can make it and enjoy it the same day.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  5:38:02 PM  Show Profile
Ciara Neill (infinite_wallflower, #5005) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I read Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds by Tara Frey and I came up with my blog subject matter.

I didn't know what to do. I wanted my blog to be about something I enjoy, but something I have time for. Therefore I am going to do a tutorial blog/DIY that relates to digital photography and art. I want to share my photo shop experience with others!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  5:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Sherrill Roy (baabonnybelle, #4153) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I created a color wheel by tracing around a saucer then divided it up into sections to represent the colors and the different stitches. I did a pencil drawing on the muslin, then stabilized it with a second piece with some quilters spray glue, this way I would not have to use a hoop.

This was the project I took for our annual Memorial Weekend camping trip up in the mountains. Perfect in size and portability.

The wooden frame was from my search this week in the thrift stores. This was the perfect size and I used the matting already in the frame by flipping it over. (There is a nice drawing someone created on the flip side of the matting. This will be a double surprise for whoever takes the frame apart after I am long gone.)

It turned out just about the way I planned it. I have it hanging in my craft loft so I will always have it as a reference as well as a pretty piece on the wall.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  5:54:57 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Nellie Make-do Merit Badge!

“I used only old sheets, pillow cases, old aprons, old denim jeans, and even an old fabric floral shower curtain, to make several rugs.

The braided rug took me the longest time. The remaining hours were spent on crocheting several rugs for the house (not all our in the photo). One rug was completely made from several pairs of old denim jeans.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  5:58:37 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I am planning a Cajun Christmas in July, since I am having family visiting. I am going to decorate in the traditional Cajun colors of red, brown and green as streamers, add some miniature crabs, shrimp and crawfish with a fish net as a tablecloth.

I'll add chili pepper confetti and make wire stemmed artificial peppers as napkin rings.

Since I did my research on Justin Wilson I am using some of his recipes for dinner. Hush Puppies, Gumbo with Cajun rice, crab mango salad and caramel pie for dessert. I also will play some Cajun Christmas music and the story Night Before Christmas in the Cajun way.
I have already tried some of the recipes and started buying the decorations.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  6:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Valerie Vervoort (#4794) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I contacted three organizations: Skaalen Nursing Home,Fox Prairie Elementary School and Square Foot Gardening.

I started my service project in January of this year so it was a natural to be a volunteer visitor at Skaalen Nursing Home in the community where I live. I met with their Volunteer Coordinator who explained how much they needed people who would take time to listen. She gave me a list of six residents and a weekly time frame.

I visited two residents a week on a rotating schedule from January 28,2013 to the present. I have over 10 hours in so I thought I better apply for my Beginner level.

I have loved every visit and have in my journal written memories that are all treasures.These dear former farm girls have crossed oceans in cattle boats, ski'd mountains and remember the first time they were sent by train to spend the summer with relatives on a South Dakota farm.I am rapidly getting enough stories to occupy a fascinating and often funny glimpse into the lives of these 90 years young farm girls.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  6:16:32 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Belker (MayFay, #5093) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“I journaled my food choices for a month and saw where I would like to make some changes. I buy my meat and dairy from a local farm, my "pantry goods" from an organic market, and produce (that I don't grow) from my farmers' market, so I know the origins of my food.

Reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver was definitely food for thought. I resolved to eat more according to the seasons after reading Ms. Kingsolver's personal story. I keep sprouts growing most of the time. My favorite blend is clover and alfalfa sprouts. I use them in salads, sandwiches and smoothies.

Finding ten new ways to add more fruits and veggies to my family's diet was challenging at first, but then I starting making fresh juices, bakeovers and fruit desserts, and from there I found it easy to come up with more ways to increase plant food consumption. We don't use artificial sweeteners, and since my preferred brand of mayo doesn't use hydrogenated oil, I was good on that badge requirement.

The biggest change to our family wrought by my working on this merit badge was the idea of seasonal eating. I remember wanting to buy a cantaloupe the very day my watermelon seeds sprouted in my garden. It really brought home how melons should be eaten in the late summer, and I looked for seasonal strawberries instead. I realized how very spoiled we are with such a false abundance around us all the time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  3:46:41 PM  Show Profile
Carol Johnson (carolj, #1823) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I sorted through a jar containing buttons originally owned by my great grandmother (d. 1949), grandmother, mother, and myself. I had well over 50 buttons, but chose those I was nearly sure came from the two oldest ladies to comprise my collection of 86 buttons. These will not be returning to the general jar. I am saving the rest to make jewelry for the next level and to use for other projects.

I used Mary Jane's cheek test to identify the pearl buttons and found 28 I am sure are pearl. I was astounded at how cold they felt, like ice. I also found a small card with nine beautiful buttons still stitched to it. Unfortunately, all but the cardboard immediately under the buttons is missing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  4:08:59 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I acquired about 44 9 on 9 patch squares in which many of the pieces of fabric were in dubious condition. I research the era in which the fabric came from (late 1800's), raided my mother's stash (with her permission), repaired the quilt blocks, pieced them together, and hand quilted the entire quilt in the evenings with my family and friends.

The quilt is beautiful!!!. I learned a lot about fabric and the inks used more than a century ago, as well as hand stitching techniques from then. About every 4th stitch is double stitched so the fabric doesn't gather. Some thread was regular sewing thread, but some was as heavy as button hole thread. All the fabric was men's shirting, and it is clearly a scrap quilt. It took me about 3 months from start to finish. I left a lot of blood in the seams too. This was quite the learning experience.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  4:15:55 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) Merit Badge!

“I saved my tin can lids since January and used a hammer and nail to punch the names of some of the herbs and vegetables I planted in the garden this year. I went through all the tools and washed them down, filed off the burrs, sharpened the ones that needed it (we have a lot of rock so the shovels get quite a workout!), oiled the metal and the wood, and explained very carefully to my family that if they don't clean the tools and put them away when they are done, I am going to ban them from using them. Since the beginning of the year, the tools have been cleaned and put away properly each time they are used, with few exceptions.

It has been nice being able to find my tools and having them ready to go when I need them. Even my oldest shovel looks nice. My machete is ready to start going after the blackberry vines again, and my trowel has planted a few more herbs in my garden.

My parents always said, take care of what you have and it will take care of you.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  4:29:53 PM  Show Profile
Carol Johnson (carolj, #1823) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I cleaned out the cabinet with all of my storage containers. I am usually very organized, so I was surprised at how much I needed to do this.

I threw out or put into recycling one cracked plastic container and five or six lids with no bottoms. I sent six glass peanut butter jars with lids with my husband to his workshop. These cannot be used for canning because canning lids don't fit.

I was so inspired by the order of it all-- food storage on top, containers for lunch boxes in the middle, and canning jars on the bottom shelf--that I organized three drawers in the kitchen, too. If it keeps raining, I may tackle the pantry next.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  4:54:49 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Boyd (NancyOH1, #2508) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I belong to our local quilt guild here in Columbus, Ohio (Common Threads). Our guild makes both Quilts of Valor and baby quilts for the Moms2Be group near the OSU campus. I picked up a pre-cut baby quilt top to stitch together (binding included). Once the top was pieced together I purchased the batting and backing to complete the quilt. Sandwiching the quilt top, batting, and backing gave me the opportunity to practice my machine quilting. The binding was also pre-cut and included with the top so I was also able to add the binding which also allowed me to gain some much needed practice here as well.

It turned out really nice and I am so happy to have completed this baby quilt for the guild.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  5:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Lora Rosencrans (FARMALLchick, #358) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“Madison County has a recycling center that accepts just about everything you can think of. There are several items, however, that they charge a small fee to take. These things are certain size and types of computer monitors and t.v.'s, copiers, and loose picture tubes. They also charge for tires that must be clean of mud, rocks and dirt. They charge double if the tire is still on the rim. They take all sorts of household chemicals, but generally limit it to 15 gallons per year per household. They have certain hours and days they will accept things, too.

We are going to go through the barns and garden shed to find any old chemicals and take them to be disposed of. I know there are some old pesticides in the garden shed from the previous owners. I just left them in the corner because I didn't know what to do with them. Now I do!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  5:27:09 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Mathis (Andi, #5199) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I read the book Blogging for Bliss by Tara Frey. The book answers many questions beginning bloggers have. It also has great examples and testimonials from crafty bloggers. The topic I am choosing to create my blog around is a life journal. In my blog I will share things like tutorials for my sewing projects, gardening projects etc...

So far so good. I learned a lot from the book and have a plan to go forward with blogging.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  5:34:51 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I contacted all of my family members, and my husband's and asked them to send me their favorite recipes. I put them all together in a small notebook and organized them by category.

It was really interesting to see what everyone's favorite recipes were. I was also surprised that there were NO duplicates, I expected several banana bread recipes and only wound up with one.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  5:37:11 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I took the sweets category of recipes that I gathered from family members and made a cookbook. I made 12 copies of it and will distribute copies to everyone who contributed to the book. The book is very special to me and includes several of my mother in law's recipes. She passed away before I ever got to meet her in person and in a way this makes me feel connected to her.

I think the book turned out great! It was a lot of work but also a lot of fun and I will cherish all of the recipes included in the book. I plan to do this with each recipe category!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2013 :  5:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Ink Slinger Merit Badge!

“The two books I chose to read are:

109 East Palace by: Jennet Canant and GI Joe and Lillie by: Joe Bonsall.

I am writing my husbands story about when he was at Los Alamos,NM during WWII. He helped build the atomic bomb. He was stationed there for 2 years. I am writing about the time he left home till the end of his tour.

I have letters from Oppenhiemer, Einstein and others thanking them for their service. I have black and white photo's of my husband that I will add to my story.

I am doing this for our grandchildren as a legacy from my husband.
They need to know this part of history about the life lived on the mountain at this time.

I will make a copy for each child and give them when they are older. My husband is so happy that I have written about this part of his life an preserve this bit of history.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2013 :  4:19:03 PM  Show Profile
Britteny Gayheart (Firefly, #5214) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, & Expert Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“Beginner Level: I live in Franklin Ohio There are tons of horse farm around here. I grew up on one of them. So identifying breeds is in my blood. My favorite is Thoroughbreds. I love how honorable they look even when they are just grazing the spirit of that breed never seizes to amaze me. My first horse was a thoroughbred my first love.

Intermediate level: I did some extra research on the Paso Fino. One of the breeds I have worked with but I didn't know much about the history of them. I also read The soul of the Horse. I can honestly say it's been added to my shelf of favorites.

Expert level: We have a rescue/rehab farm in a neighboring town (Lebanon Ohio) I donate time there on a regular basis. I also donate my time almost every Saturday morning at Young acres farm in Lebanon as well.

It turned out great. It's rewarding helping an animal. They are such a powerful creature. I think it's amazing to have a hand in helping them return to the best they can be. I love the people I meet and work with.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2013 :  4:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen Bobbitt (NixKat, #3447) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We ordered new chicks from our farm store, 3 each of four breeds: RI Reds, Astrolorp (I never spell this correctly), Black Sex-Link, and Ameraucana.

They are now two weeks old and beginning to get their feathers. I plan to raise them organically and free-range as soon as they are ready to let out into the yard and start collecting eggs.

I love my little girls and surprisingly my husband has bonded with them!

We have noticed their individual personalities and how smart they are, definitely not what we expected. I speak to them and cuddle them each day and now some hop onto my hand when I put my arm into their box and just roost on my fingers. When I tap gently on the inside of the box they come running to me. I can't wait to be able to let them run free outside. I already know that none of them will ever "see" the inside of the soup pot.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page