Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2013 :  5:28:17 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have been doing all the recycling that we can. I divide the recycling into a can, the garbage into another can, we burn what we can not recycle in our wood burner.

It has been good to get hubby more involved in recycling--he mostly left it up to me. Now he goes to the center to recycle for us. It is wonderful to make a difference in so many lives.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2013 :  5:34:52 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I am continuing helping the Lutheran Women's Sewing Circle to make blankets & quilts to send wherever they are needed.

This year the goal is to make 1,000 blankets if possible. We are at 584, as of 2 weeks ago & need to finish them up by October, 2013. Lots left to make. It feels great to be a part of these lovely ladies. I'm still the youngest woman there!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2013 :  5:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I bought the book "The Book of Awesome" when I couldn't find it at our library. I started writing in my journal & have kept it going for over a month now, not repeating any gratitude.

I've come to look for many blessings each day. Like today the entry was "loved all the daisies in the field blowing in the wind." Appreciation comes from the noticing!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2013 :  5:44:05 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“I contacted the local extension office for food foraging. They helped me with brochures & told me to call them if I needed more information. I received the brochures on berries, mushrooms & hunting for nuts.

The local extension people are great for information. They made sure I understood that I needed not eat anything that was questionable,rather than get sick. I have already begun scouting my own 40 acres for "food." I missed the morel mushroom season, but are seeing some small puffballs on the edge of the woods that are GREAT eating! I found elderberry bushes along my trail that I hadn't seen before. Can't wait for them to get ripe.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  4:43:05 PM  Show Profile
Lynne Parmenter (#5089) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“This year I have planted 6 types of herbs. Lavender, Italian Basil, Pineapple Sage, Oregano, Parsley and Thyme. In the past years I have grown herbs and always dry them to use during winter months and will continue to do so. I like to use them fresh during the summer and fall months. My family and friends have always taken some home with them; both fresh and dry.

I have grown mint and chocolate mint. With these herbs I use them in drinks during summer and fall seasons sharing with family and friends. Once dried I shared them and we use them in many recipes. The chocolate mint was delicious in the crock pot cakes when we were home and in the dutch oven cakes we made camping. This year is the first year growing lavender. I will dry it, include it in the grape vine wreathes I make I fall which I give away and I also want to make some sachets for fresh scents.

I have always done well growing my herbs. This year I had to grow them in containers on my deck but in the past I have had them grow over their beds and when my husband mowed the lawn you could smell their fresh scents. I have already used the herbs that I have grown this year. This is the first year for Pineapple Sage and I enjoy using it when I prepare and cook pork. So delicious!!! I look forward to continue growing and using herbs. It certainly is enjoyable and relaxing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  4:58:23 PM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for completing a Beginner Level "Get it Together" Merit Badge!

"My kitchen cupboards are a wreck.

Not on the outside, mind you. No, no, it’s the inside of those masters of disasters that leave me whimpering in the corner when I need to pull out the juicer.

I have pizza cutters nestled in soup pots.

Grapefruit spoons mingling willy-nilly with the paring knives.

Mixing bowls upside down over garlic presses and don’t even get me started with the dishes running away with the spoons.

And the Tupperware and such? Oh dear. It’s run amuck.

Hold me."

Earn a Beginner Level "Get it Together" Merit Badge with MBA Jane here on Raising Jane: www.RaisingJane.org/journal/15997

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  5:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Carol Johnson (carolj, #1823) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I gathered up all of the canvas tote bags I had been given as teacher gifts and bags that were give-aways at fairs and with subscriptions. I found I had about a dozen. I put all of these in the trunk of my car in a large tote my husband picked up at Home Depot.

I use them each time I grocery shop and often carry items from other stores and put them in my bags to transport home if I forgot to take the bags in with me.

I have been using reusable shopping bags for about two years now. I feel so virtuous and a bit richer. Our grocery store deducts five cents for each bag used every time I shop. I average about six bags a trip which means thirty cents per week times fifty-two weeks. . .you get the picture.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  5:25:43 PM  Show Profile
Carol Johnson (carolj, #1823) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“By reading MaryJanesFarm and some other sources, I learned that all that is really needed to clean my home can be found in the kitchen. I tried vinegar, baking soda, lemons, and borax on a variety of surfaces.

I've committed to use these ingredients regularly and having been doing so for several months. Vinegar is my favorite all purpose cleaner. I use it in a spray bottle to clean mirrors, sinks, and counters. I put it in my mop reservoir and use it on the floor. I even use it to rinse all of my clothes by adding it to the dispenser designed for that in my washing machine.

Baking soda is a great scrub. I have also found it makes a great facial scrub when mixed with a bit of soap. This way I can avoid buying products that use small plastic beads.

Again, I think of all the money I save by using these simple and affordable products. Thanks, MaryJane!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  5:29:49 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Bustin' Out Merit Badge!

“We already eat organic -- our garden, hunting & fishing, farm fresh eggs from free-range chickens from a friend. So I started talking about good nutrition & health to a young lady at church. I have encouraged her to start plants in pots--tomatoes, carrots & lettuces--and to use the local farmers' market, which is open on Wednesdays & Saturdays.

She was so interested & has started doing all that I suggested. She would like to have a bigger garden, but she lives in town on a very small lot. She is trying different foods as well, and commented on how they taste so much better than from the store! And she can't wait until more veggies are in the market! I'm so happy I shared with her!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  5:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I went through all my kitchen cupboards and made a list of items that I'd like to have. At the same time I got all the things that I don't use & placed them in a box. I had my grown children go through the box & take the items they could use, took the box to church to share & what was left, I donated to our local Good Will Store.

Since making my list, and cleaning out unused items, I love working even more in my kitchen. I am slowly purchasing "my list" of one item per month. And I'm using my new purchases because I've waited to get them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  5:39:32 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I went to Wilton's website & read all the information on the basics of cake decorating. Since I've decorated many cakes over the years, it was still fun to re read the information.

After reading the information, I went out & repurchased some items I'd given away to my daughter, who loves to decorate cakes as well. Guess it was time to get some newer items anyway!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  5:47:35 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I watched the movie "The Secret Life of Bees" as well as read the book. I planted sunflowers, which I know they will love--they always do.

The movie & book opened my eyes and heart to things I knew about even more. I was crying by the end of the movie. My sunflowers are coming along just fine. I can't wait to see the bees lie there sipping the nectar. They are so busy they aren't bothered by my taking pictures of them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  5:51:00 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I built a bird bath using an old metal bowl and placing by my annuals that are planted in an old gas grill recycled, of course!

Most of the birds are doves and goldfinches that use it. They dive into it, swish the water around them & then fly off to the feeder. Since I just put it out there in May, I've had many enjoyable hours of antics from them. They come mostly in the morning. As the heat comes later this summer, I'm sure they will be in there more often.

I have enjoyed this project & so do the birds!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  5:54:03 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“As a student of naturopath I've studied the relaxation vs stress in many different forms. I've learned how to relax & manage stress to keep my own b/p down & to feel better. For this I walk on my property for at least 10 minutes twice a day. I feel so relieved when I get done with this!

I'm a pleasant woman when I let the stress of the day go! And I love going on my daily walks through our property!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2013 :  4:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Missy Durant (OrganiGal, #5271) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I was really amazed at how many species of birds there are (currently 413) in Ohio. Our state bird is the Cardinal, so we see those beautiful birds everywhere. Blue Jays are also very common. On the top of my wish list is the ruby-throated hummingbird, which I've actually been waiting to see for months now. I even purchased a feeder to lure them here, but have had no luck yet. I learned that the woodpecker that frequently dines at a tree in our back yard is called a pleated woodpecker, which I found very interesting because it is supposed to be found in the northern part of the state (I live in the southeastern area). There were also quite a few I read about that I had never seen before.

The ones I'm most interested in seeing are the black and white warbler, the hooded warbler, the scarlet tanager and the indigo bunting. After I build my new birdhouse, I hope to see a few of them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  4:09:00 PM  Show Profile
Erin Chartier (Kbmom24, #5276) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We brought our baby chicks home in march to start our own small flock with the intention of raising four hens for fresh organic eggs.

They are a joy to have. They each have their own personality. We named them Sunny, Scrambles, Penny and Pipi Longstocking!

At first, we fed them with regular feed, but now we made the switch over to organic feed from our local feed store.

I am very excited to be learning about making our own organic feed supplement, which we will use later on when the girl's are laying.

So excited to be getting my own fresh eggs soon!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  4:54:48 PM  Show Profile
Missy Durant (OrganiGal, #5271) has received a certificate of achievement in Going Green for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I've been planning on doing this for a long time and I finally did it! I went through my entire cleaning cabinet and tossed everything that contains harmful ingredients and replaced them with safer products that aren't harmful to the environment. As for the green journal, I've been doing this for a while now! I clip articles and store them in a black & white journal that is home for green ideas only. It gives me a focus and is handy for when I'm lost on what to do next.

To make my own laundry soap, I used MaryJanesFarm magazine, Nature Knows Best special issue, page 58 titled "Carol's Herbal Liquid Laundry Liquid". I purchased soap nuts from a seller on Etsy and followed the directions. I also made the "Herbal Dryer Sachets" on page 60 with some dried lavender I bought at my local Farmers' Market.

As for the soap, I've made my own soap a few times, so this time I made my own facial soap using 1/2 water, 1/2 Castille soap and 1/4 witch hazel, using one of the recipes from the most recent sisters online issue! I've also made my own homemade general purpose cleaner using 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water with a generous squirt of lemon juice. Instead of wasting paper towels, I've been using reusable microderm cloths. They really cut through messes with ease!

The laundry soap combo is impressive! My clothes smell wonderful and clean and I don't miss my old chemical-laden detergent at all. Best of all, you only need a tiny bit at a time, so the small amount it makes lasts a long time!

My homemade facial soap is great. I've been struggling with acne my whole life and this simple recipe has made a huge improvement in my skin in only a short amount of time.

The natural cleanser I made is just as great. I feel wonderful about not polluting my home or the environment by using safe products and I don't have to worry about my kids or dogs coming in contact with nasty chemicals. I couldn't be happier with this project!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  5:11:55 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Expert Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“Since we use a lot of cheese we're always looking for new cheeses and recipes to make new ones.

It can be a challenge but we've been able to make several different ones, which include:

- feta (with goats milk and fresh herbs from our herb garden)
-mozzarella
-neufchatel
-roquefort, which was the ultimate challenge. Trying to keep the temperature and moisture levels just right was no easy task.

While making cheddar cheese we also were able to experiment with aging and sharpness, making some extra sharp cheddar.

This project was relatively successful for the most part. There's nothing like fresh, homemade cheese. We'll keep trying!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  5:18:52 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Mathis (Andi, #5199) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“I choose to find a unprocessed organic cereal recipe. Here's what I found at katheats.com:

Overnight Oats
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3-1/2 cup milk (depending on how thick you like it)
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 a banana
1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
pinch of salt
splash of vanilla extract
pinch of cinnamon
1.mix together
2.put in fridge over night
3. Add toppings example: granola, nuts, fresh fruit etc.

I really enjoyed this recipe and have enjoyed it for breakfast several times now.Its a great substitute for all those processed breakfast cereals.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  5:45:49 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Schrack (AmandaOfficinalis, #5269) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“Walking around my homestead I identified 5 herbs including: Lemon Balm, St. John's Wort, Chickweed, Plantain, and Oregano. Lemon Balm I dry and use for tea. Fresh I use it in salads and ice cream. St. John's Wort I make a tincture for depression and a salve for skin traumas. Chickweed I like to eat as I work outside or I infuse it in oil to make a salve for rashes. I also use it as a poultice for pink eye. Plantain is a great poultice I use for insect bites, I also make a boo boo salve with it. Oregano I dry and use in my tomato sauces and it's also great in pill form to control yeast overgrowth in the body.

I harvested all of the herbs (I'm a little obsessed with herbs). The chickweed and plantain I infused in oil to use in an itchy salve for bug bites. I dried lemon balm to make tea. I also dried some oregano to be ready for my ripened tomato crop. The St. Johns wort is soaking in vodka to make a tincture. All in all I had a lot of fun snapping pictures of my herbs and then harvesting them to create a variety of things.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  5:53:14 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Shuey (heffy, #3767) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“As part of our Earth Day projects, my girls and I rooted through our house to find any non-green cleaners left here from people that helped us clean our house before we moved in. We found one bottle of a biodegradable multi-purpose cleaner. I keep a section in my recipe clippings binder for DIY cleaners I've been collecting from friends. On the front of that section is the statement: "It's easy being green!"

The multi-purpose cleaner has been used only on my kitchen floor since that is where the barn boots travel through. I want to research that company more yet. I still like baking soda and vinegar the best for everything else. Especially vinegar for washing windows and wiping them off with newspaper. The girls think it's fun! I'm still finding new ways to use borax,too.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2013 :  5:58:43 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Shuey (heffy, #3767) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“Since I already had a bunch of bags that I had bought or collected,(nine to be exact) I bought each of my girls cute reusable bags for Christmas. They all are stored in the back of my vehicle in old black nursery crates. My oldest daughter decorated a canvas bag for her teacher for Christmas too. I bought myself a "pretty" reusable bag to carry my things in to church when I teach Sunday School. I found a plain canvas bag at a rummage sale last fall and ripped the side seams out to make a log carrier.

Despite the whining that their bags are "heavy", my girls like doing a good thing and feel "just like Ma" at the store. My daughter's teacher LOVED her new bag- she's a reusable bag fanatic, too! I've gotten compliments on my pretty bag at church and have seen a few others pop up there, too! It was much easier for me to haul in logs and my husband thought I was a genius!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  11:17:36 AM  Show Profile
Maria Chamorro (Marie_Angelique, #3030) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“This year I decided to grow a container herb garden until I become more familiar with gardening in Kansas (I moved here four months ago). This year I grew rosemary, thyme, sage, chives, parsley (my first time growing it), and mints (which are exploding!). The orange mint is growing beautifully.

This year I am trying something new which is infused olive oils and honey (rosemary honey...Yum!) which I am planning to give away during harvest time. I am freezing some of them also for use later.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  3:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Seaman (Red Dog, #5107) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“Using a baby wipes container, I recycled it by gluing fabric to the outside to make my sewing basket. I also used cardboard, batting, & fabric to make the pin cushion on top which also holds my needles. Other than the requirements I added a tape measure, magnifying glass, & a seam ripper.

I think it turned out really well. It's nice to have everything in one place.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  3:22:02 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Seaman (Red Dog, #5107) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I read the book Blogging for Bliss & Blogging for Dummies by Susannah Gardner.

My blogging passion will be my everyday life of my likes, arts, crafts, writing, and etc. The one thing I want to be very discretionary about it not to expose too much of my personal life.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page