Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  3:33:10 PM  Show Profile
Jacqueline Ferri (Jackie Ferri, #1664) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I learned to knit when I was 9 by my mother. I made a simple scarf. Over the years I did other needle crafts. Didn't pick up knitting again until 23 years later. After my third child was born I took a continuing ed. class to refresh my knitting skills. The instructor had us make a cardigan. I joined a knitting guild and here many of the members helped beginner knitters. From there I just took off with new and varied knitting skills. Our guild provided workshops with renowned knitters so we acquired interesting techniques. We went to Stitches, TKGA East Coast Conference and a local knit shop sponsored a “Ewephoric” Knitting Weekend. At these events, one breathes, sleeps, and eats knitting!!

I have learned the following techniques and have used them in various projects,.

Cables
entrlelac
Drop stitches
aran knitting
Short rowing
intarsia
Tunisian knitting
lace knitting

and many more.

I have covered clear Christmas ornaments with a lacy beaded net that I knitted. I've knitted a sampler afghan, a winter white throw with chevrons and bobbles. I've made a shawl, sweater, purse by knitting them on the diagonal using Jane Elliotts designs ( Not Your Plain Jane). I've knitted and felted a fun evening bag accented with eyelash yarn and a beaded handle. I have made hats, scarves, mittens, sweaters Blankets and much more! I taught all four of my children how to knit when they were young, Two of them made scarves recently. My friend and I taught two Brownie troops how to knit. During our guild meetings I have assisted beginner knitters. Our guild knits for various charities. I’ve knitted preemie caps, Oxfam sweaters, squares for blankets for the Linus Project. Presently I have a few projects going. I am knitting an aran pullover, a pattern from Vogue Knitting The pattern has lots of cables and twists! It’s fun to knit! I’m also knitting a Mary Maxim poncho with some cables.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  4:12:25 PM  Show Profile
Kim Ward (#5088) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Woman-at-arms Merit Badge!

“Hunting and firearm shooting has been a tradition in my family for years. I started really getting into shooting when I was about 11 years old. My dad taught me gun-safety and gun regulations before I was allowed to hold a gun. He was, and always has been, very insistent on the safety first rule. I feel in love with guns from the very first shot.

I shot my first deer when I was 13. I took hunters safety when I was 15 at a local fish and game club with my dad. I passed the class and received my hunters safety certification. I took the next two years off from hunting because my dad who was in the national guard at the time had been called to serve at Camp Navistar in Kuwait. I wouldn't hunt without him. He was gone for 18 months and returned home thankfully safe. Since then hunting and shooting has been a tradition we have shared over the years.

I am now 25 years old. I have a 5 year old daughter and am 12 weeks pregnant. My daughter is starting to get into hunting and shooting and my dad and I have been working to teach her gun safety and gun regulations and look forward to taking her hunting in the future. I still hunt and shoot on at least a weekly basis and plan to continue throughout my pregnancy as well as for the rest of my life. It is a very important part of my life and family and I look forward to passing it down to my children as my dad did for me.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  4:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Kim Ward (#5088) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“I have been in the woods hunting and fishing and shooting for over half my life. I can identify different wildlife as well as know safe handling procedures on wild game meats as my family and I dress, process and package our own wild game. As a hunter I actively keep up on the current laws in my area concerning wild game. I do this on the NH Fish & Game website.

I completed a Hunters Safety Program and received my certification at our local fish and game club when I was 15 years old. I've hunted with my dad for years and have taken my own game since I was little. I've made venison sausage, jerky and hamburger. I have held a NH Hunting License every year since I was 16 years old. As I mentioned before, my family and I process and package all of our own wild game.

Hunting and Fishing always has been and always will be a tradition in my family. The tricks of the trade have been passed down through and generations and will continue being passed down for years to come.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  4:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Kim Ward (#5088) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I am a proud owner of several reusable shopping bags and I use them every chance I get! I keep some in my car as well as some in the house. I use them for everything.

I use reusable shopping bags for shopping, storage and so much more! I love them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  4:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Kim Ward (#5088) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We bought 6 baby chicks from our local agway this spring. 2 Rhode Island Red Hens, 3 Barred Rock Hens and 1 Rhode Island Red Rooster. My husband built them a chicken coop and they are free range in our yard during the day. We feed them an organic layer mash we buy at our local feed store.

They haven't started laying yet but we are hoping to have fresh eggs soon!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  4:37:16 PM  Show Profile
Margaret Gale (maggielou79, #5335) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“On May 22, 2013 I became the proud owner of 8 baby chicks! 2 Australorps, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes. I feed them noting but organic pellets and greens from the garden. I can't wait for fresh eggs!

So far, keeping chickens has been the best thing ever! They have gained the attention of the whole neighborhood.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  3:49:06 PM  Show Profile
Erin Chartier (Kbmom24, #5276) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I love blogging! I have blogged for a few years, now. Though, my blog has changed as I have changed over the years, it mostly centers around my life as a homeschooling mom, crafting, photography, knitting and now my suburban backyard garden on my less than 1/4 acre lot, which I lovingly call my "farmette".

I read "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey. I enjoyed the tips as well as the "Meet the Blogger" pages with links to the talented and crafty bloggers around the world.

Since I already have a blog, I decided to redesign it using some of the tips from the book in order to work toward my intermediate level.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  4:04:30 PM  Show Profile
Margaret Gale (maggielou79, #5335) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I have started and maintained my compost pile since March 2013, making sure it has the proper amounts of browns and greens. I also supply it with the droppings from my chickens!

I have amazing black gold!! The addition of the droppings is amazing! I can't wait to try it out on my garden! I am totally fascinated with my compost pile. It amazes me how the earth takes care of itself.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  4:21:09 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Peabody (katnip05, #2763) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“When we moved into our home we made sure that we chose a garbage company that included recycling pickup. When we initially signed up for the program we could only recycle paper, cardboard, plastic, aluminum, and tin cans.

In the last year a new recycling facility has opened in our area and we are now able to recycle a wider range of plastics as well as glass.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  4:23:32 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Peabody (katnip05, #2763) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“My family has been recycling since we moved into our home. We keep a container near our trash can and put all of our recyclables into it.

We were able to have our trash picked up every-other week instead of every week since we were putting so much into the recycling bin! This saved us a little bit of money each month but, more importantly, it was a concrete way for us to see that our efforts were paying off!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  4:25:25 PM  Show Profile
Katrina Peabody (katnip05, #2763) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“We have been recycling for over six years, since we moved into our home. When my sister bought her home I encouraged her to choose a garbage company that also has curbside recycling pickup.

My sister and her family now recycle and my children are learning how important it is to recycle. My seven year old always asks, "can I recycle this?" before throwing anything away!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  5:04:13 PM  Show Profile
Helena Perry (Elen of the Hedge, #5345) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I cleaned out my kitchen cupboard where I stored all my plastic storage containers. Before, it was basically a toss n' throw situation since half didn't have covers and I was exasperated with the mess. I kept all the containers that were complete and put the rest in a bag. I'm going to post the unmatched batch on freecycle.org to see if there are any takers and if not they will go to the curb.

Happy sigh. What a difference! I have room for my mixing bowls and stock pot now. The storage containers that are left are in a jaunty little pile.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  12:25:55 PM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for completing a Beginner Level "Gaining Ground" Merit Badge!

"The first time I heard of composting, I was like, whaaaa? Seriously? Talk about bizarre. Then I realized some benefits: If I quit using the garbage disposal so much, I wouldn’t have to deal with my dumb cereal spoons getting caught inside and scaring the living daylights out of me when they make that horrible metal grinding sound.

Plus, it'll be like I am giving back to the earth somehow ... which, of course, is very green and eco-friendly of me. I mean, I'm not, like, ready to chain myself to a tree or quit shaving my legs or anything, yet, but still. Progress. Score one for Granola Chick Jane!"

Earn a Beginner Level "Gaining Ground" Merit Badge with MBA Jane on Raising Jane: www.raisingjane.org/journal/15303

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  4:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Bette Axiak (Bette, #4157) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have more then six different reusable bags for shopping that I keep stored in the back of my car. I have been using them on a regular basis for a number of years. I also keep reusable mesh produce bags in my car for fruit and vegetables.

The amount of plastic that I have used for grocery shopping has decreased. If I do forget to carry my shopping bag into a store, I keep the plastic in a specific place in my kitchen and have made a habit of returning the plastic to the recycle bins at the store.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  4:53:19 PM  Show Profile
Bette Axiak (Bette, #4157) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I recently had the privilege of being invited into a home of a local 96 year old "hobo" (that was his answer to me when I asked what he did for a living). I am a Public Health Nurse so initially I was visiting with him regarding a foley he had in place. I have made a total of three visits to this man and have enjoyed learning from him. He lives in a cabin he has built himself all with recycled material. In the past he "mined" when he ran out of money. Minning was the principle form of livelihood during the Gold Rush and well into the early 1940's.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my visits with this individual and plan on returning. NOTE: At first this individual did not approve of me. He called me a "do gooder". He has not called me that in quite a while. I feel that his stories of his early life need to be recorded.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  4:57:39 PM  Show Profile
Bette Axiak (Bette, #4157) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Self Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“In March of this year I completed a Master Food Preserver program. Along with canning, we also learned about dehydrating. In April of this year, I purchased dill, oregano and basil which I dehydrated on my electric dehydrated. I have also dehydrated food in the sun or in a slow oven (215 degrees). I used the dill in some dill pickles that I made from pickling cucumbers that I grew. I have also put together spices in a cheese cloth square to use in making pickles,and soups. In October of last year, my daughter and I made little bottles of spices for tea that she gave away at her wedding as favors.

The spices have added to my cooking. And, having them dried and sitting in bottles on my shelf not only looks since to me, but I feel adds favor to my cooking. As far as the favors went, everyone seemed to enjoy receiving the small gift.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  4:59:41 PM  Show Profile
Bette Axiak (Bette, #4157) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Self Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I learned how to make, and we actually made apple pie filling, in my canning class in March. On July 4th of this year, I made blue berry pie filling that is waiting on my shelf to go into a homemade pie. Also, on July 4th, I made spaghetti sauce. I have opened and used one of the jars in a stir fry that I am slowing eating this week. We also learned how to make sauerkraut in March, and put up several jars. As I stated in the beginning level, last month I made pickles from by own cucumbers.

When I tried to make sauerkraut in my own kitchen, I failed as I let it set to long in the crock. However, my sauce and pickles taste fine, and have made nice gifts to give to people who have been working on improving my home that I have only lived in for a year. It sits on five acres of all mining property, and needed and still needs a lot of repairs.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  5:03:13 PM  Show Profile
Bette Axiak (Bette, #4157) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner level Self Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“Last year I purchased 5 acres of property that sits up on a hill and overlooks a valley where cattle graze. The property had been in a family for a number of years. The trustee of the property became ill and had to sell.

I had been looking for a year, and found the property and bought. The trailer I am living in had all been remodeled, but the surrounding structures were falling down. With help from a friend, we revamped the old chicken coop. And, in March of this year, I raised 6 baby chicks which are now giving me fresh eggs. I have too many eggs, and have been selling them to my co-workers.

This venture has worked out quite well. I enjoy watching the chickens, they in turn are turning over the soil for me and keeping the weeds down, and I have a little pocket money from the sale of their eggs. A win win adventure for me.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  11:07:56 AM  Show Profile
MBA Jane (Janey, #27) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for completing a Beginner Level "Scrapbooking" Merit Badge!

"Since I’ve been in the homemade gift-giving spirit lately, I decided to just keep on going with the flow and work on my other Stitching and Crafting Merit Badge: Scrapbooking.

Now I know what y’all are saying: has Jane been living under a rock? We’ve all been scrapbooking since like, 2003! Well, I don’t mind saying, sometimes I’m behind the times and I just haven’t gotten around to all the fun girly crafts yet. I mean, I just now learned how to stamp and that whole craze is pretty much over. Ah well."

Earn a Beginner Level "Scrapbooking" Merit Badge with MBA Jane here: www.raisingjane.org/journal/16528

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2013 :  4:05:42 PM  Show Profile
Bette Axiak (Bette, #4157) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I visited my recycling center in the county, plus I have recycling and trash pick up once a week. In my county we have two trash containers. The recycling container is larger then the household waste container, and the lids to the contains are different colors. Recycling container has a blue lid, trash container has a black lid. The recycling pickup is every other week. The items that can be placed in the recycling container are clean mixed paper, aluminum, glass, tine and steel cans, and plastics.

The items that can be placed in the trash container are food waste, plastic bags, polystyrene products placed in a bag, diapers, and contaminated paper and containers which included used paper towels, tissues, pizza boxes, etc. I have also been known to collect aluminum cans, glass, and plastic containers when I participate in the highway clean up here in the county and bring them to the recycling center. I have also in the past turned off my "finds" to a needy family so they can get the cash from my finds. In addition, I have participated in Styrofoam collection days sponsored by the Master Gardeners in the county. The county also has burn days. Right now it is to dry to do any burning.

I have very little trash that is left around my place and believe me there was plenty of trash on the property when I first moved in. I believe that if we are careful with the environment, the environment will give back to us. Being careful with the environment to me means recycling whatever we can.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2013 :  4:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Bette Axiak (Bette, #4157) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have recently established a composting bin on my property. I put household waste into it such as rotten fruit, vegetable scraps, fallen oak leaves, straw from my guinea pig, shavings from my chickens, both guinea pig and my chickens. It is a flexible mesh sided, plastic barrel. I also started a worm composing container inside my trailer.

I have not been very faithful to turning my compost, and the worms have died in my inside vermicomposting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2013 :  4:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Schrack (AmandaOfficinalis, #5269) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have numerous button stashes around my house. Some were for making hair bows for my daughter, some were for sewing and some were crafting. I finally put them all together into one button collection.

I really needed to take the time to get my buttons together and get all the extra beads and string pieces that were with them sorted out. Now it is easier for me to see what I have and what I should look for to add to my collection.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2013 :  4:38:25 PM  Show Profile
Ciara Neill (infinite_wallflower, #5005) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“A few years ago, my mother gave me a blank notebook to start collecting recipes in to get my collection growing. I went through her old handwritten cookbooks and such to find those family recipes I love.

I got my recipe notebook after seeing my mom still use hers that she still writes in occasionally from 25 years ago. With going off to college in the fall, it seemed like no better time to collect those recipes I will still want to enjoy when I am away from home.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2013 :  4:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Schrack (AmandaOfficinalis, #5269) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“For this badge I Googled ideas for a pincushion and was really taken with the idea of using a canning jar to contain the sewing kit with the pincushion being the lid. So I filled the jar with pin, safety pins, self threading needles, thread and buttons. I used a scrap of fabric and polyfil to make a pincushion on the lid. I tied a ribbon around the lid to hang the scissor on.

My 7 year old daughter loves to sew so this was the perfect project to make for her. It will also store nicely in her room with all the little bits contained in the jar and the pincushion so easily accessible. I think I will look to add more to it, as well as look for a smaller scissor that can be stored inside.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2013 :  4:48:56 PM  Show Profile
Diane Kasperzak (didi, #3657) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I researched 6 herbs on the internet: the two that I have grown for the Intermediate Herb Badge [sweet basil and cilantro], the three that I will grow for the Expert Level Herb Badge [parsley, oregano, and sweet marjoram], and my favorite herb to eat [dill]. Dill was the herb that I specifically tried for this Beginner Badge.

Since I'm of Polish and neighboring Lithuanian heritage, I was not surprised to read that dill is to the Polish people what oregano and basil are to the Italian and Greek people. I did not know what marjoram was, and have learned that it is very similar to oregano, but slightly sweeter. All of the herbs that I researched are very popular and wonderful for cooking or adding raw to salads and sandwiches, are very high in nutrients, and have been used for medicinal purposes.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page