Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2013 :  4:51:40 PM  Show Profile
Diane Kasperzak (didi, #3657) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“During this past Memorial Day weekend, I planted cilantro and sweet basil. Last week I harvested a handful of each, washed them, chopped them up, and added them to my evening’s supper.

I sprinkled the two herbs separately on either side of a plate of hot pasta seasoned only with olive oil. That was all that was needed! Each of the herbs, very different in taste one from the other, made a simple pasta dish extremely flavorful, interesting, and healthy! I knew from the moment I clipped the herbs in the garden that I had something very special. The cilantro smelled and tasted like citrus (refreshing). The basil smelled like clove (warm). I can't put into words the taste, but I enjoyed both herbs very much. I will use fresh herbs as often as I can now which, prior to growing these two, I was not likely to do. A good start to a great new healthy habit!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  3:48:57 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“We toured the local Iron Works museums at Meramac Springs. We learned about life when our area was founded, drove the old road that they used as the only way through our small mountains. Toured where they mined the ore. Looked at how farm equipment, kitchens, and transportation has changed. We walked around the outdoor area and saw the spring which is said to what gave life to the settlement. The spring is what made the area possible to live and work in.

Life in the mountains would have been so hard but they made it possible and the community thrived because of these settlers. The museums and park host a pioneer life day every year to give demonstrations of life of the settlers. There are many times I wondered what it would be like... I think it would definitely be worth all the work!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  3:52:23 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Languages/Culture Merit Badge!

“I want to teach my children to American Sign Language. We got a dictionary and have begun learning.

I have learned the alphabet, 1-10, hello, crazy, and a few others. American Sign language is also used in Canada. It also can be used in regular sentence form (English Word Order) or can be signed in American Sign Language which has its own syntax and grammar.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  4:03:13 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“To the north where my family lives. Quarter horses are the main breed with a few others here or there. Although nothing takes your breath away like the wild mustangs. Big, bold and beautiful those horses.

My father has a Quarter Horse, she is big, beautiful and quite friendly. I have been teaching my children to pet and help feed my father's horses. We have been helping for months now and my father is now letting my two year old son help him with out me being needed. Teaching my children how to touch, feed, walk around and know when to keep their distance has added a new element to how I see horses and have such a new respect for them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  4:04:47 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I have created more than 4 painting now but I have posted a photo of my 4 favorite paintings. I call them Journey. I also went to an Art Walk that our town has called Downtown Days. The local businesses open their doors after hours so that an artist can display their artwork to the public.

My paintings started in November and continued until May. To represent the journey a mother goes through after the loss or stillbirth of a baby. First is the pregnancy, Blossom; happy, glowing and blossoming. Then the loss, Changing Winds; darkness, cold, and confusion. Rebirth; when you see the light again, feel warmth again, and your new life begins. Lastly, Embrace, learning to open yourself up to the pain again by being there for mothers going through the changing winds and becoming a companion they can lean on.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  4:12:35 PM  Show Profile
Christina Marsden (#4411) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I have set my goal to get more in shape. I started in December. I have been doing a number of different exercises and also lifting weights, starting with lower lbs and working my way up.

I started with 2lb weights and am now up to a 5lb. I have lost at least 4 inches around the middle. And I love the feeling of feeling great.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  4:13:12 PM  Show Profile
Christina Marsden (#4411) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I have been exercising for a few months now. I have also been trying to eat more organic foods as I find them available. I am trying to feed my family healthier.

I am very much for eating healthy and organic and I have done well on the exercise as I have lost a few lbs and inches. Very pleased. I intend to stick to it until I reach my goal.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  4:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Kerryanne Cummins (EarthFriendlyMama, #5231) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I use 6 or more reusable bags when shopping. I love using them, it helps me know I am doing something better for the Earth.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  4:39:14 PM  Show Profile
Kerryanne Cummins (EarthFriendlyMama, #5231) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have done lots of research on how to clean my house with non-toxic cleaners, and make my own to use, such as laundry soap, soap, glass/surface cleaner (water, vinegar & lemon juice.)

I love using chemical free cleaners in my home! It feels great to help the earth this way and to keep my family healthy!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  4:41:07 PM  Show Profile
Kerryanne Cummins (EarthFriendlyMama, #5231) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I started a "Young Cultivators" group and helped them organize a reusable bag swap! and we talked about why this is a better choice.

They loved it! all of them were very excited to go "find" bags at home! they had favorites and brought them to share and swap. They brought them shopping 3x too (or reminded their parents too).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  4:46:37 PM  Show Profile
D D Edwards (greengrannydee, #5058) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I've made the commitment long ago to bring reusable bags with me every time I go shopping. This level is something that I do on a weekly basis.

At first it was hard to remember to grab the bags and go, but as time went on, it became habit.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  3:53:22 PM  Show Profile
Margaret Gale (maggielou79, #5335) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I started this Merit badge by going room to room and removing all cleaners. I was shocked by the ingredients in them!

Mission Statement: To clean my home and protect the environment by using only green products.

I started a journal of green recipes and green living ideas. At our Chapter meeting, I had made a copy and we are going to be adding to them. I have challenged other chapter members to start on this merit badge!

It is amazing! I am in the process of making my own green cleaners :) I'm so excited!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  3:56:52 PM  Show Profile
Margaret Gale (maggielou79, #5335) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Grammar Merit Badge!

“I've made an effort to improve grammar and spelling.

For 2 weeks I have used a word of the day and encouraged my kids to use it as well. Although I never thought it was a problem before, I have noticed a difference! Text messages were the hardest. I didn't realize how much I abbreviated or used slang.

My kids now know that sometimes they are recalcitrant children, but I love them anyway.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  4:02:25 PM  Show Profile
Margaret Gale (maggielou79, #5335) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I sat down with 2 of my oldest living relatives and asked them about our family.

My mother (age 70) and my uncle (her brother age 65) are my closest & oldest living relatives. I am very fortunate to have my mother living with me and to live next door to my uncle. We have daily talks while having a cup of coffee outside in our gardens, watching the chickens ("chicken run" as my uncle calls it.) It is so fun watching them relive their childhood and talk about the family.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  4:15:37 PM  Show Profile
Margaret Gale (maggielou79, #5335) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“I subscribed to a year membership on ancestry.com and entered in data, searched for family relatives.

I have traced one line of my family all the way back to the 1500s! Talk about amazing!!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  4:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Margaret Gale (maggielou79, #5335) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I am fortunate to live in the town where I grew up and where 90% of my family is from. We have a little museum in town that is run by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers.

My great grandmother helped settle the town I grew up in (Beaver Utah). My ancestry runs deep! Looking at the land around this town, it must have been such a different world back then!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  4:21:13 PM  Show Profile
Margaret Gale (maggielou79, #5335) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“My great grandmother helped settle the town I grew up in, and was an active member in establishing the museum we now have that showcases the pioneers.

Beaver Utah (where I grew up and currently live) was the birthplace of Philo T Farnsworth - inventor of the television tube, and Butch Cassidy - the famous outlaw of the west.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  4:24:51 PM  Show Profile
Margaret Gale (maggielou79, #5335) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Unprocessed Kitchen Merit Badge!

“Ice Cream is DEFINITELY my guilty pleasure! I dusted off the ice cream maker and now homemade, organic ice cream is all my family eats!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  4:29:30 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Nemnich (HolidayJunkie, #5004) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“After checking out my herb storage, I noted which herbs I use most and which I'd like to try growing this summer.

Before planting my new herbs, I had one appear in my garden that I didn't plant this year. It was a dill plant. I wasn't successful with it last year, but apparently it reseeded itself and appeared in 2 different areas of my garden. I was successful in transplanting the smaller plant into the same area as the larger plant and immediately they both started to take off.

I harvested the leaves as they appeared to use in daily cooking with potatoes and cucumbers. I didn't plan on using the seed portion for pickling, so I left them till they dried and plan on keeping the seeds for replanting. I do need to research how to harvest and keep the plant going. I did get 2 nice harvests from it, but would of like to get more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  4:31:43 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Nemnich (HolidayJunkie, #5004) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“In the past, I've grown a couple basic herbs such as Oregano and Basil. This year, I wanted to supply more of my own herbs throughout the year, so deciding which to add to my garden, I headed to the Nursery to purchase some seedlings. I added Cilantro, Tarragon, and Mint.

My Cilantro plant did awesome. After learning that you can let them seed and also get Coriander seeds, I added a second plant. One to harvest for Cilantro and one to let grow for Coriander seeds. I've not used this one fresh, but have dried it for use in the future.

The Sweet Mint has been a great addition. We use it fresh in our water all the time. It's not overpowering and just adds a bit of "freshness" to the aftertaste.

The Tarragon, is growing great, but I just haven't used it in anything yet. It's one, I'm just kinda hesitant on for no specific reason, but I've read it's great on fish.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  4:35:03 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Nemnich (HolidayJunkie, #5004) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I've been recycling minimally for a year or so now at home, but looked into getting an additional curbside container so I could increase what I do recycle.

The one container our city provides is free, we would be charged for an additional container. Our budget doesn't allow us to purchase one, but I've been trying to crush and tear down boxes more to free up some space.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  4:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Nemnich (HolidayJunkie, #5004) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I set up 2 recycling boxes at my business for extra paper and one bag to collect cans. I take those home monthly to put in my pick up container.

In addition to increase my recycling from work, I've also started including plastic containers. I've mostly included boxes because they were easy, but have started rinsing out any plastic that fits into our acceptable numbers and have been including those.

Once I got into the habit, it's been good. I notice that I'm paying more attention to how I can reuse containers as well. I was going to go out and buys some jars for a food storage project, but have been saving and washing a lot of the jars I purchase food in. That's saved me some cash for sure.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  4:40:02 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Nemnich (HolidayJunkie, #5004) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I've enlisted all of my family at home to start saving their soda pop cans and boxes from food. At work, I also have them saving soda cans and any spare paper not used.

At home, each family member has their strength. My husband does so-so if it's convenient. His home office is off the main floor of the house, so we've discussed getting him a second trash can, so the items he can recycle make it into that can. Otherwise, he has a tendency to be a bit lazy in getting them up to the main bin.

My daughter is doing great with cans and some basic boxes from food, but plastic water bottles and such she still tosses in the trash. If they are on top, I do remind her regularly to move them to recycling.

My brother does the best in the house. He's pretty much on board, unless its a plastic container that was used for cleaning or other personal care items.

At work, they are super great with either putting the extra paper in recycling, but they always try and reuse it if they can.

I will continue to be diligent and getting them involved. My daughter goes off to college this fall and I'm curious if she will set up recycling. She's also a Farmgirl Sisterhood member, so I might have to give her a hard time if she doesn't.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  4:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Helena Perry (Elen of the Hedge, #5345) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I'm kinda skipping around a bit.

I started by making my own laundry detergent and then it snowballed from there. I went though my house and replaced everything I could make homemade cleaner out of castille soap, which is like EVERYTHING, and if not, it can be cleaned with vinegar and baking soda. It felt like what I would expect a manic episode to feel like . . . only in a good way.

I found an old journal that was literally green that I recycled into a 'green journal' where I recorded my household mission statement and my laundry detergent recipe (for starters). I plan to share it with my chapter when it gets up and running.

I thought I had a relatively green home until I went through it and found things like silver polish, which now I know I can totally clean with baking soda and boiling water! Yay for no icky chemicals! And I love that feeling of accomplishment that I did something good for my family and the environment.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  4:56:34 PM  Show Profile
Helena Perry (Elen of the Hedge, #5345) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I collected six+ reusable bags for shopping and they are waiting in my car for my next shopping trip.

Good. I have to laugh. I had to go back out to the car to get them. I use them at home to store things but I could never quite remember to stick them in the car. Now that I have them available I just have to remember to take them with me!! The bags are part of my mission statement and I've read it to my 4 year old son, so I can't go back on my word!!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page