Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  3:39:19 PM  Show Profile
Connie Warren (killarney, #3392) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“My mom and I got all the family to send their favorite recipes to us so we could compile them all together!

Not only do we have the recipes, but photographs taken in our Grandmother's kitchen, as well as other family members kitchens! What a surprise for me, a picture I had never seen, of my daughter, Holly, when she was only 4, eating her favorite dinner-Spaghetti! We have great Aunt Jewel's Peanut Butter Cake recipe and Great Aunt Mattie's Chocolate Bread Pudding recipe. They have both passed away, so it is so nice to have their picture beside their recipe. It is truly a treasure to our whole family!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  3:55:48 PM  Show Profile
Connie Warren (killarney, #3392) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Birds Merit Badge!

“Oh! watching the Birds is one of my first loves! and still learning so much about them every year! I have feeders for all size birds and Bird Baths and Bird Houses! We watch them thru the Binoculars and use The Internet and Guides to Backyard Birds to identify them.

WE love our Bird Family, We have Tufted Titmouse, Yellow Finch, Blue Birds, (very rarely seen in our area, We have one who returns to our feeders every year!)Cardinals, Red Breasted Robins. We feed them Sunflower Seeds and treats of nuts and dried cranberries. We make sure there is always fresh water for them all year round! and Dry, Clean, Bird houses! I filled up the new feeder this morning and added my journal to this picture, a gift from a Farm sister, I will use this one to take notes about our Wonderful Bird families!”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  4:14:30 PM  Show Profile
RoDonna Carson (kymomma4, #2361) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I've actually been cross-stitching since I was a little girl. I got more into it as a teen and even more now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  4:28:52 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Foster (littlepurpleflower, #4962) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I started doing yoga a few nights a week. I researched different ways to relax and breathing techniques to help release stress. I got a Miracle Ball that came with a book that shows different ways to alleviate pain in your body by using the small ball and breathing techniques. I researched natural remedies to help with anxiety. On nice evenings I take time out to go out side and lay on the ground and just look up at the beautiful stars! That's relaxing all by it's self!

This is great! I love doing yoga! I have been using my ball almost every night and sleep so much better at night. By taking time to relax before bed I am able to sleep so much better. When I go outside to relax I feel like I reconnect with the earth. I am going to continue this practice.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  4:31:31 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Foster (littlepurpleflower, #4962) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I started by downloading an app on my phone called my fitness pal. Then I set a goal to eat a healthy well balanced diet and log my food into the app at least five days a week. I also set a goal to work out at least 3 days a week.

I have really enjoyed logging my food. The app makes it easy and breaks down all the nutritional facts and if you have stayed within your daily allotment. I have also enjoyed being on a regular work out schedule. I feel better everyday!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  4:34:13 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Foster (littlepurpleflower, #4962) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I started with my cupboard that had my storage containers in it. There were lots of containers that didn't have lids so I recycled them. Now everything has a place. Once that cupboard was done my daughter helped me organize the other cupboards in my kitchen. We only have one more to go!

I really love having an organized kitchen. I can reach into the cupboard and get the storage containers and lids I need without having to dig around and hope I find a matched set. I also really enjoy all my cupboards neat and clean. It makes working in my kitchen a real joy!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  4:41:11 PM  Show Profile
Jodi Fairchild (jdf0202, #5433) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I made yogurt. I started with unpasteurized milk so I scalded it to kill bacteria that could have interfered with my culture. I let the milk cool to 120 degrees and stirred in the culture with a sterilized spoon. I poured the milk and culture into sterilized mason jars, loosely capped them and put them into a cooler. I then poured 120 degree water into the cooler up to the shoulder of the jars, put the lid on and waited six hours.

It turned out great. I drained one of the jars through some cheesecloth to make a Greek style yogurt. Delicious! Both ways have their uses.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  4:51:29 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“~I watched the movie Vanishing Bees. There was so much that I was unaware of. I found it disheartening. This is coming from someone who as a little girl kicked a mound of dirt not realizing that it was a nest for ground bees! Ouch! I was stung all over and until a few years ago, have been very fearful of bees. Now instead of fear I have a healthy respect for them and realize the important role that they play.

~I planted Geraniums, HollyHocks, Catmint, Echinacea and more.

~I completed reading The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I enjoyed reading about the beekeeper's responsibilities.

~I spent time researching the health benefits from Raw Honey verses Processed Honey.

~I have a honey vendor that I purchase honey from. Milligin Honey Tree in Lewis, Colorado.

~I completed reading Nature's Little Wonders by Candace Savage.

~Raw Honey has not been heated excessively through pasteurization. Many nutrients in honey are very sensitive to heat/pasteurization and die. Beneficial enzymes found in raw honey make it digestible to humans. Raw honey is minimally filtered and does not destroy the health promoting enzymes and other nutrients.

~Every Fall, my husband and I enjoy going to our Honey Vendor: Milligin's. Each year they have a Honey Pour where one can bring their own container and they fill the container from a large vat. We always get a few pounds. I love steeping herbs, spices, vanilla beans and hot chili peppers in honey to find new uses for honey.

~Nature's Little Wonders was a wonderful book and chock full of so much information that I did not know about. It found me wanting to do more research especially after my husband and I went for a mountain picnic and noticed some 'different' bees. When we got home we did a lot of researching.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  4:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“~I agree wholeheartedly that one needs to be able to function well in the kitchen. A big part of that is organization. I cleaned and purged all of my cabinets and re-organized.

I could not take a photo of the actual cabinet that stores my storage containers due to lack of a good camera and bad lighting. But, I did submit a picture of the motivation to organize the rest of my cupboard and make it cute too! I had a bunch of the old canning jars with bales that were actually my Uncle's from when he used to can :) Abandoned lids were tossed and the containers without lids were recycled to use for paint or stain.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  5:00:39 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Intermediate Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“~I created a 'Kitchen Needs" list to include:

-Cast Iron Dutch Oven
-Cast Iron Griddle
-Vacuum Sealer
-Grain Mill

~I realized what was taking up room in my kitchen and storage. Some items I needed and some not but I found others who could use them.

~I was able to bless friends with un-needed items and what they did not want I donated to the local Salvation Army. One family we gave items to had just moved here with hardly anything. We were happy to help :)

The requirements also got me hooked on purging and organizing a lot more :) Woo hoo!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  5:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“~I checked with our local extension office but was unable to get any information on foraging in our area. I did some research online and also purchased the following books:

-The Rocky Mountain Berry Book by Bob Krumm
-Edible and Medicinal Plants of the Rockies by Linda Kershaw

The photo is of Black Hawthorn fruit.

Through Mary Jane's Ideabook, the Rocky Mountain Berry Book and Edible and Medicinal Plants books I have become very informed on what foods grow wild in our area and in what season.

Foods that I have foraged:

~Black Hawthorns
~Rosehips
~Wild Asparagus
~Serviceberries
~Spruce Tips
~Currants
~Chokecherries
~Wild Strawberries and Raspberries”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  5:05:24 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Intermediate Level Forage for Food Merit Badge!

“I have learned what areas I can forage for food both in and out of season by learning how to identify the locations of certain plants in addition to characteristics of plants.

My husband and I have always loved doing to the mountains whether it be just for a few hours or more in all seasons so we can recognize the plants to harvest from at all times. We have learned both from research and on hands experience to recognize plants to harvest and when is the ideal times to do so. By driving in the mountains in the Late Spring/Early Summer we know where we can gather Rosehips for example.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  5:11:25 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“~When planning our garden, I shopped both online (localharvest.org) and locally after researching through using catalogs specifically for Heirloom Variety Seeds.

~I read Gardening with Heirlooms by Lynn Coulter and thoroughly enjoyed it.

~My garden contains more than 5% of Heirloom plantings.

~I love reading the history of the seeds that I planted. It is like opening a historic novel instead of a seed catalog :)

~I thoroughly enjoyed Miss Coulter's book. It is now on my wish list. I love how Lynn calls Heirloom seeds Living Antiques. So appropriate! Also an inheritance of flavor and beauty from long ago. It caused me to remember a scene in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers with Howard Keel and Jane Powell. Adam is riding in the wagon with his bride Milllie. Millie is excited on her journey to her new home, a cabin in the mountains. In her excitement she tells Adam of her valuables, the Bible, another book and a packet of seeds that her mother gave her. Oh, how we should be so excited about seeds!

Through the book I obtained quite a bit of knowledge that I wasn't quite aware of. It was nice to see that due to their genetics, Heirlooms are usually resistant to pests, diseases, and extremes of weather.

~I am happy to report that more than 5% of our garden is heirloom plantings.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  2:43:36 PM  Show Profile
Casey Comstock (#5366) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I made a daily chore chart, a weekly chore chart, and a weekly menu. I used scrapbook paper, stickers, markers, etc. Then I framed them and hung them on the wall. I also hung a dry erase marker on a string. I can cross off chores on the list as it gets done and then I can wipe it off and start fresh.

I think they look cute and they will be a big help in organizing my home. I had fun making them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  2:59:56 PM  Show Profile
Sue Daniel (subfarmgirl, #3727) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I checked out Blogging for Bliss from the library and read it. If I were to create my own blog, my favorite topic would be sewing home decorating items and decorating with salvaged items that have been turned into something with a function that is different from the original use.

I used some of the tips from the book about incorporating html codes into a blog at my job to accomplish a goal that the company owner had wanted for nearly two years but couldn't find someone who could do it.

I also have started reading some blogs regularly.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  3:12:58 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“~I have learned how to save seeds from online research and also:

-The New Seed Starters Handbook by Nancy Bubel (There is a section on saving seed)

-The Heirloom Life Gardener by Jere and Emilee Gettle of Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company

~I have saved a portion of seeds from my Heirloom plantings.

~The garden is more than 25% Heirloom plantings.

~I am excited about saving all of the different varieties of Heirloom seeds I have planted. It is so nice to see the garden flourishing :)

~I have saved only a portion of what I have previously planted for Heirlooms but have researched other Heirloom varieties and will be saving from those as well.

~I was happy when I was reviewing what was planted in the garden. I wasn't aware of just how many things I planted were Heirloom:

-Early Flat Dutch Cabbage-Broccoli De Cicco-Cinderella Pumpkins-Big Max Pumpkins-Green Arrow Peas-Matt's Wild Cherry Tomato-Mr. Stripey Tomato-Mortgage Lifter Tomato-Pink Banana Squash”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  3:16:24 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“~I am continuing to save seeds from my garden and excited about saving even more after learning the correct process for each variety of Heirloom seed.

~More than 50% of our garden is Heirloom plantings.

~I have given away Heirloom seeds that I saved to a number of people I know.

~I am pleased that I have learned to not only grow Heirloom plants from seeds but also saving the seeds. Keeping the variety going as well as being more self-sufficient.

~Over 50% of our garden is Heirloom. Actually more like 90% :)Next year it will be solely Heirloom plantings.

~I have shared saved seeds from Cinderella Pumpkins and Pink Banana Squash to friends and plan on sharing even more this year. I love keeping these Heirlooms thriving.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  3:19:33 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“~I am able to identify five herbs and their uses. I have also tried all five herbs.

I love herbs and their versatility and how they can totally change whatever you are making or preparing. The herbs that I can identify and have tried are:

-Thyme: Culinary uses, also used an an astringent, herbal tea.
-Chives: Culinary uses such as pultry or seafood dishes, herb vinegars and salads
-Oregano: Mostly used for Mediterranean, Mexican and Italian dishes.
-Lavender: Culinary uses, herbal tea, bath products, linen sachets and sleep pillows
-Mint: Used for Culinary purposes: teas, desserts, sugars,also used for bath salts”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  3:21:43 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“~I started an herb garden and harvested the herbs in addition to using them. The herbs that I planted were Sage and Mint.

-Sage: I love! I make my own Poultry Seasoning Blend that is wonderful for the holidays (really anytime:)), it tastes wonderful of roasted turkey or chicken, pot-pies and stuffing or dressing.

-Mint: Little did I know at the time of planting just how much this has grown! :)I like to harvest some for drying and then using in hot teas, making Vanilla-Mint sugar, bath salts and also making Meadow Tea, a mint concentrate which is perfect for the Summer especially after coming in from gardening.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  3:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Knox (#4359) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“I have been volunteering and visiting Ann Whitall's house at Red Bank Battlefield in National Park, NJ for several years now. It's a wonderful park with an amazing history.

My daughter started summer camp at Red Bank Battlefield about 4 years ago. Last summer she asked if she could become a docent and the rest is "history".

She loves learning about the Revolutionary War. In fact she has a George Washington blanket!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  3:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Knox (#4359) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Civic Heritage Merit Badge!

“For my Intermediate badge, I posted research information about Ann Whitall in the "Reading Room."

I find Ann's life story amazing. She was a very religious Quaker woman who experienced a battle on her property, helped birth babies, cared for the injured and died of yellow fever.

I enjoyed sharing what I have learned with others. I hope this information will inspire others to read Ann's diary and to learn more about amazing mothers of the Revolutionary War.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  3:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level First Aid Merit Badge!

"I started by getting together a simple first aid kit for our cars. The kit included bandages, gauze, burn ointment, bug bite ointment, gloves, Tylenol, and upset stomach medication. We also made sure to have fire extinguishers in the kitchen and garage.

A few times the kit has come in handy when someone has had a bad scrape at the park and only a band aid would fix the tears. My husband also feels safer in his garage knowing if there is a problem the fire extinguisher is not far. We also had to change the batteries in the smoke detectors. Causing a lot of smoke one day for dinner, we were sure that they were in working order."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  3:41:29 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“In conjunction with my Let’s Get Physical badge I began a walk, then walk, jog routine. Walking everyday has helped me focus on how lucky I am to be alive and live in such a wonderful place. I always love to take a moment on my walk to look at my view and remember how much there is to enjoy in these moments of peace.

I look forward to my walk jog tomorrow and everyday. It is time without stress, without children and without distractions.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  3:45:45 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“My little herb garden grew! I was so very surprised by it. The chives were small but had some punch of flavor. The Parsley when added to buttered noodles gave a great taste. And finally the dill helped me when making my homemade ranch dressing.

I am very pleased with my little garden and I am excited to plant in it next year!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  3:50:00 PM  Show Profile
Emily Hack (alterationsbyemily, #2951) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Organic on a Budget Merit Badge!

“I started by making out our family menu for an entire month. I calculated the cost of us eating and then the weekly or by weekly add ins such as fresh produce and milk. We grew cold weather crops in our garden helping to keep the costs down. We also used budget mix for morning biscuits or late night snacks. We expanded a few times to pancakes and waffles with locally made bacon, cooked right into the waffle.

Everything turned out great. We stayed on budget and kept ourselves from going off track with shopping. A few times when I asked my dear husband to grab a gallon of milk at the store there would be a candy bar on the bill. But we defiantly did a great job for us.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page