Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2013 :  4:30:38 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“~I wrote a food journal for a month and read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.

~I became a sprout farmer :)

~I have found ten ways to incorporate more fresh fruit and veggies into our diets.

~We have eliminated all hydrogenated oils and artificial sweeteners from our diets.

In my food journal we found that we eat way too many sweets and do not pay much attention to portion control.

I enjoyed reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Some of the information I already knew but also learned some. I appreciated the seasonal recipes that her daughter Camille added and also look forward to trying my hand at making cheese.

I now have Sprouts growing :) I found a website and ordered some seeds as well as the lids needed for growing various sizes of sprouts:
http://sproutpeople.org/

Some of the ways I have discovered to include more fruit and veggies into our diets are:

Adding fruit to: yogurt, granola, hot cereal, muffins, pancakes, salads, freezing fruit such as grapes or dark sweet cherries to eat frozen as a snack.

Adding veggies to: quiche, eggs, making foil pack dinners of chicken or fish with multiple veggies, creating a salad as a main dish with grilled meat and add more vegetables, sneak more in soups or quick breads, add more veggies to salads.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2013 :  4:36:07 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to your Mother Earth Badge!

“~I am growing a vegetable garden
~I have not used any pesticides or synthetic fertilizers in our garden
~I have researched and used organic pest control
~I have read "Montrose: Life in a Garden" by Nancy Goodwin

We have a good size garden growing this year with mostly heirloom plantings.

This year we moved our garden to a different location and it is doing great. We are not using any pesticides or synthetic fertilizers.

I have done research regarding organic pest control. We already have ladybugs, praying mantis and toads living in our garden which has been a pleasure to see... and no pests!

I read Montrose:Life in a Garden by Nancy Goodwin. I enjoyed it. I love reading seasonal journals and love gardens so it was a perfect read with the exception that I want more.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2013 :  4:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Get 'er Done Merit Badge!

“I helped my 16 year-old daughter (farmgirl) put in new goat fencing.

This project took many hours of work. First, we had to build new goat stalls in a different barn, put up temporary fencing, then build the final fencing. It took over 2 years. We put in 330 feet of fence for the goats, and today they are enjoying fresh grass and lots of room to roam.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  2:08:23 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Embroidery Merit Badge!

“I made a sampler 13 different stitches. I used teal and gray thread on a white cotton fabric. It was framed in an small wooden frame...

I loved learning new stitches! The stitches I used to make my sampler was back stitch, chain, feather, cross, open wave, lazy daisy, wheat ear, star, blanket, french knot, herringbone, threaded running and running. My 4 year old daughter watched me and begged for me to teach her. So, I did! She used the running stitch to follow the pattern of a heart. She is so proud of her project.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  2:12:31 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“The laws are changing in our town, so I may never get to have chickens in my backyard while living in town. But for months now, all I buy is fresh eggs from a lady in my mindful mother group.

I love the fresh eggs and so does my kiddies. I also love being able to help out another momma!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  2:16:05 PM  Show Profile
Kyla Hill (HoneysuckleHill3, #4640) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“On one of the rare days when every single pod of our family is together (1 or 2 times a month) and I remembered the recipe cards... I collected 1-2 recipes from each pod except from my brother and his wife.

My Aunt shared her favorite dessert recipe (the one she brings to every gathering); my grandma(mom's side) shared the recipe for Beef Stew (she always made when she would watch us); my other grandma (dad's mom) shared 2 recipes! Her homemade ice cream which we usually only get 1 or 2 times a year and my hubby's favorite... Lemon Cheesecake.

My mom chipped in with my Great Grandmother Tossie's recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole! Apparently, I was the only person in the family that didn't have that recipe... My cousin even added one of his favorites (he does the cooking for his family) Doritos Chicken. Haven't tried his recipe yet. Looking forward into making this into a recipe book.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  2:58:55 PM  Show Profile
Victoria Montoya (EastTxFarmgirl, #549) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I come from a long line of crocheters (not sure if that is really a word) but I did not inherit the natural ability to crochet. My mother had tried to teach me multiple times but nothing. Finally, I decided I can do this and ordered a video called Crochet Lab by Vicki Howell and low and behold I think I've got it. I know it is a little lopsided but this is my first project and with a little practice I'm hoping to improve. So far I have learned the chain, single crochet and double crochet. I plan to continue learning and next is the triple crochet.

I completed my first pot holder in about 5 hours. There was a lot of undoing and redoing. I think I picked a difficult type of yarn for my first project. It kept unraveling on me. I plan to continue. I had purchased a pattern for a prayer shawl several years ago. The shawl is beautiful and even though at the time I did not know how to crochet I was determined some day I was going to make one. I plan that to be my expert level project. I ordered the yarn for it yesterday.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  3:07:25 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Critell (Brenda Critell, #2158) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Plant it Forward Merit Badge!

“I grow a garden every year, and I grow extra for the poor. This summer, I have taken at least 100 pounds of garden produce to St. Vincent's Food Pantry, the Idaho Food Bank, and the Boise Rescue Mission in Boise, Idaho.

Everyone is always very grateful. One lady at the Boise Rescue Mission told me "thank you for bringing us young, fresh vegetables instead of the 3-foot long zucchinis we always get." Another lady at the food pantry said that my garden produce would go very quickly. It makes me feel good to know that my vegetables will not go to waste.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  3:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Critell (Brenda Critell, #2158) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I made a "Block of the Month" quilt using Craftsy.com's free online class. It turned out beautifully. I have it as a spread on our king-sized bed.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  3:18:59 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Critell (Brenda Critell, #2158) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We used to raise rabbits and I learned how to butcher them for meat. This spring, we bought chickens and two pekin ducks for our back yard. Our chickens and the female duck are now laying eggs, and later this fall we will butcher a couple of chickens. I feed them organic garden produce from our garden, and I let the ducks free-range. Later this fall after a frost kills most of the garden, I will let my chickens free-range, as well.

All our birds are healthy, and they come running when I step out the back door because they expect me to give them treats (kitchen scraps). They are very entertaining!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  3:23:37 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Critell (Brenda Critell, #2158) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I grow heirloom tomatoes every year, and I save the seeds for planting next year. I also save seeds of my summer squash, winter squash, beans, peas, collard greens, kale, and cucumbers. I have given my seeds to my family and friends and encouraged them to grow gardens, and helped them learn to garden.

My garden is great every year. My daughter has a garden now that she started from my saved seeds, and my nephew and his family are now gardening this summer for the very first time. They had a successful garden as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  3:27:26 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Critell (Brenda Critell, #2158) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I have had a compost pile for my gardening for many years. I actually have two composting bins, and I also started vermi-composting (a worm bin) 3 years years ago and have kept it going ever since.

I love to compost. It makes for a very healthy garden. I especially enjoy my worm bin, because I can use the worm castings to make compost tea, and it is amazing stuff.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  3:33:19 PM  Show Profile
Sophia Gwynne (sophig, #5394) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I studied and learned the cake-decorating basics of filling the decorating bag, the proper positioning of the decorating bag, using couplers, and other cake decorating basics. I also took a Level 1 Wilton Cake Decorating class at my local Michael's Arts and Craft Store.

I LOVED the class and learning all the basic cake decorating techniques! My husband especially like the class because he got to eat all my class projects. For my final project, I made a birthday cake for my husband featuring his favorite activity...scuba diving.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  3:44:23 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (shellys, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I crocheted a barbie dress for my daughter using an old pattern my grandmother passed down to me. It turned out really good and my daughter loved it”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  3:52:10 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (shellys, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I made a simple pincushion using a mason jar, some scrap material and stuffing. I included thread, safety pins, straight pins, small scissors, a thimble, needles,and a measuring tape.

It turned out good. It took a bit to get the fabric just right so the lid would fit on the mason jar.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  3:57:06 PM  Show Profile
Jodi Fairchild (jdf0202, #5433) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level "Out There" Women Merit Badge!

“In the picture you can see my day pack. It has a whistle built into the sternum strap. On the left is my white rain poncho. The round thing on the pack is my signal mirror and under that a space blanket. Also on the pack, nylon cord. Under the pack from left to right is water purification tablets, my multi-tool (with knife), first aid kit (with my epipen, as I am allergic to bees), waterproof matches and candy
I then identified 10 local plants: Yarrow- used for colds and fevers, Poke weed – poisonous (although Indians have used it for medicine and I suspect the berries would make a good dye), Stinging nettle- food (heat to get rid of stingers), very nutritious, Cleavers – food and medicine, Yellow Dock- medicine (root tea used to purify blood), Smartweed- medicine (contains pain relieving compounds), Sheep-Sorrel- edible leaves (small doses), medicine (has cancer fighting properties), Blackberry- edible berries, medicine (leaves used to combat diarrhea). Cattails- edible (the inside of the peeled stalk), Purslane- edible nutritious leaves, also medicinal (leaves used as burn poultice)

Getting the things together for my day pack was easy as I am an avid backpacker and had all these things readily available.

Identifying local plants turned out to be very interesting. I checked out a field guide from the library and I was surprised that all the plants I identified were useful in some way. I now suspect all plants (even weeds) have their purposes. I feel like I've just been let in on a secret of the universe! Amazing!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  4:01:48 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“My family and I love farm fresh eggs and discovered the difference several years ago.

We do not have any chickens as of yet but do raise Large Black Hogs and feed them as organically as possible.

Several years ago we were introduced to farm fresh eggs. Since then we have made them a staple in our diets. The taste is so different as well as the appearance and knowing that there are healthier for us.

Nest Spring we plan on having our own chicken flock and have been researching which breeds to raise. So far, we are looking at: Marans, Golden Laced Wyandottes and New Hampshire Reds.

We are raising Large Black Hogs (and a Hampshire/Duroc cross) and are feeding them as organically as we can. They sure are enjoying the benefits of the garden. I will post more on the hogs when I apply for the intermediate level.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  4:04:45 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I spoke with my Mother and siblings and was able to gather some favorite recipes from my family. I have been writing the recipes down.

Through speaking with my Mother and siblings along with having my Great-Grandmother's cookbook I have been able to compile favorite recipes.

I have made photocopies for all relatives of heirloom recipes and remembered recipes have been written down.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  4:06:50 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“I have created a recipe book for safekeeping of heirloom recipes

I have created more than three and gifted family members with a copy.

I truly enjoyed gathering family recipes as I love to cook, bake and preserve and it is even more special knowing that these recipes are well-loved and contain so many special memories.

It was fun creating a cherished recipe book for family members. We dubbed ours 'Keepers.'”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  4:12:00 PM  Show Profile
Michelle Foster (littlepurpleflower, #4962) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“I disconnected from the computer, phone, and tv. I started Friday afternoon around 4pm and didn't turn anything back on until Sunday evening at 9:00pm. I did leave my phone on because I had my husband and son at cub scout camp but I didn't use it. It was just for safety precautions because they were gone.

It was wonderful. I didn't realize how much I was plugged in until I disconnected. I spent Friday evening with my grandmother reminiscing about her childhood. I shared my MaryJanesFarm magazine with her and she loved it!

Saturday I spent the morning visiting with my cousin and her children. The afternoon I spent with my parents outdoors at the cub scout camp where my husband and son were doing many activities. Saturday night I cooked my mom and grandmother dinner. After that we went and saw fireworks.

Sunday I took a drive with my brother out in the country. Once camp was over with for the boys we took the 3 1/2 hr trip home. A side note: each evening before bed I would read my great grandmothers journal. I enjoyed reading about her everyday life. It was so nice not to have the added pressure of the electronic world. I felt so at peace and find my self hardly using my electronics. I am only getting on the computer once a day and limiting my texting and tv. I plan on staying this way.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  3:51:29 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“We take back roads as often as possible and like to see all the farm animals. At my daughter's bus stop there is a mare we have befriended with fresh grass and apples now and again. She has even let us pet her nose. Of the breeds I have researched, she is most likely a Morgan. Her coloring is brown with a black mane and tail and white marks on her face and lower legs.

We both love to visit with the horse, and when she sees us coming, she runs to the fence looking for treats and love. My daughter keeps pestering me for a horse, but they require a great deal more space than we have and it would be unkind to keep one penned on our small land holding.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  3:56:51 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“I read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Babara Kingslover and spent a month paying attention (journaling) my eating habits. I have worked on feeding my family more fruits and vegetables by keeping them readily available as snacks on the table and by making sure I put at least 2 servings each meal that are fresh fruit and vegetables on plates or in lunches. I sprouted broccoli seeds and added them to salads, and I eliminated all hydrogenated oils and artificial sweeteners from my pantry and our diet.

I learned that even 1/4 cup of seeds is to many to sprout for us in the fall. In the spring when the salad greens are coming in it should be perfect. Leaving fruits and veggies out where the kids can snack on them leads to rapidly disappearing fruits and veggies. If they are cherry tomatoes, they often don't make it from the garden to the house before being eaten. As for the fake food, if it doesn't grow in the dirt or eat what grows in the dirt, it's no longer on our menu. (Still working on the dining out though).”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  3:57:23 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Green Energy Merit Badge!

“I have connected with my local energy provided, Puget Sound Energy, and found out how our power is generated, then shared this information in the Farmgirl Chatroom on green energy. I also researched a number of was in which electricity is produced and compared & contrasted them.

While any number of non-renewable resource energy has a higher return on the amount of electricity is produced, the cost in terms of natural resources destroyed is much higher than with the renewable resources. That said, even renewable resources have their issues. Building dams for hydroelectric power plants destroys native habitats and homes with the flooding and interrupts fish migration regardless of the fish ladder.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  4:00:21 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Music Merit Badge!

“I learned about the three basic elements of music: rhythm (a pattern of pulses both strong and weak such as drum beats), melody (a rhythmical succession of single notes that produce a distinct musical idea or phrase), and harmony (any simultaneous combination of tones). I also listened to three different genres of music (Country, Rock, and Classical) and identified the basic elements of each.

I enjoy most types of music and often listen to different genres depending on the task at hand. A fast rhythm helps get the house cleaned faster, the harmony of a Gregorian Chant can set my mind free for a spell of meditation and relaxation, and a little Rock can get me a speeding ticket if I am not careful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  4:06:54 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“While getting all the visiting time I could get with my friends in Georgia, I started a large afghan that is a ripple pattern with a cable in it. It took me several years to complete, working a couple of hours at a time, visiting with friends a family, or watching a movie. It kept my lap warm several winters.

A crochet cable is made using a treble crochet in each of two stitches ahead of where you are at, then in the two stitches you skipped. The ripple is created by adding stitches and skipping stitches in a pattern to cause the blanket to turn. Keeping count of where I was was the most difficult part. I got a lot of visiting time in though, and saw a few good movies. It took well over 20 hours to complete, and most of that was spent in the company of friends and family.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page