Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  4:43:49 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level 3 R's Rule Merit Badge!

“I used old mason jar lids so that the edges would be soft. That way my daughters wouldn't get their little fingers cut. I punched them and hung the lids on my tomato supports to keep track of which types of tomatoes each plant would yield. We also used our old arrow shafts to mark rows and as supports to plants if needed. I kept my tools clean and sharp both last summer and this summer. Now my tools are happily cleaned sitting in the garage in their bin ready for spring.

I started caring for my tools halfway through last summer so I waited to apply until this year to keep the good habit going. I really liked keeping my handles oiled with wood cleaner/protectant. I had never thought to oil the handles before but it really helped. I don't use a lot of tools gardening as I prefer my hands but I did keep my dandelion weeder sharp and the hula hoe too. My pruners are always kept clean and sharp as you never know when something will be ready for trimming or harvesting.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  4:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“Last year I saved mostly flower seeds. This year I added dill, ground cherries, tomatoes, sweet peas, and zucchini. I have all of those plants as heirlooms. This year all our seeds were heirloom except corn. I just can't seem to get my husband on board with heirlooms being better. He loves his corn and buys it himself. I guess this leaves me room for convincing him so I can earn the expert level.

I am so excited to see my saved seeds grow next year. I also plan on leaving a few carrots in the ground to see about seed saving for them next year. I love that my seeds will grow next year because they are heirlooms. It just feels good to be gardening with future generations of plants in mind.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  4:21:04 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“Our neighbor went on vacation for a few months and my husband and I horse-sat.

We learned how to feed his horse Sam (how much, when, etc.) Cleaned up after him, and groomed Sam. It was my first time being around horses and Sam was such a sweetie. We also learned what to look out for to make sure he was healthy.

I never realized how truly beautiful horses are until being able to touch one and see up close.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  4:26:18 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“A friend that raises La Mancha Goats taught me how to milk. It is not as easy as it may appear! I know it is alot of hard work and I can only imagine how much milking needs to be for a cow!

My husband and I started raising hogs this past July. We did alot of research through the internet and books and finally decided on a breed we would like to raise. We chose Large Black Hogs originally from Cornwall, England. This breed is considered critical. We chose the Large Blacks because of the critical rating but also because of their docile temperament, great mothering skills and their dark color. We live at a higher elevation and were concerned about sunburn.

We LOVE raising hogs and I never knew how much fun they would be! Endeavour is our boar and his girl is Trudy. We plan on breeding to keep the breed going but also for meat. Just today after feeding them I asked who wanted to cuddle and Endeavour came over and started rubbing his face against me :) (the photo is from an earlier cuddle time :))”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  4:28:17 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“For the past few years, my husband and I have purchased sides of beef from local ranchers. We are now spoiled, store-bought meat does not compare. We try to encourage friends and acquaintances to do the same, not only saving money but eating a healthier product.

We have been able to purchase milk (shares) from a local farmer and with the cream I made butter. Oh so good!

I have been taking pictures of our hogs and making greeting cards with them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  4:31:28 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I spent time online researching what items can and cannot be recycled at our recycling center (we do not have curbside recycling available here).

I knew about most items that could be recycled, but did not realize that foil for example could not be recycled. I do re-use ours so I can get as many uses out of it before having to get rid of it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  4:33:05 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I have made up a system for recycling items. I already re-use glass and plastic jars and bottles, boxes, plastic bags (which I am trying to get away from), the liners from cereal boxes, butter wrappers, etc. I am also saving my tin cans for my Intermediate level of the In The Garden merit badge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  4:37:24 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I read Blogging for Bliss by Tara Frey. Since I previously had a blog I knew some of the information given.

I am in the process of starting a new blog for this project. The main topic of my blog will be my relationship with Jesus Christ. This will also be an online journal including homemaking,farming and crafting adventures.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  4:41:14 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Make it Pretty Merit Badge!

“I used a drawing pencil to draw the following picture.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  5:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“After both researching and experiencing the affects of stress I was concerned for my health. For me, prayer and Bible reading is one way for me to relax and have peace in my heart. My relationship with Jesus is my source of peace.

My quiet time is something that goes beyond the required two weeks. It is something that I have done and continue to do on a daily basis.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  4:36:48 PM  Show Profile
Bobbi Miller (Farmchick, #5127) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“I took my children out to our friends farm, where we learned how to milk and feed goats, take care of chickens and gather the eggs. We enjoyed learning something new about the animals each time we went.

We ended up "adopting" them as grandparents!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  4:40:19 PM  Show Profile
Bobbi Miller (Farmchick, #5127) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“My kids and I volunteered over ten hours during lambing and kidding season, to our farm friends. We helped carry the newborn kids and lambs to the house, rubbing them down after their birth, staying in the barn for hours watching the different signs of labor, trying to get the newborns to accept the bottle, and took several meals to help out.

It was an amazing bonding experience between my family and our farmer friends that continues to this day!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  4:40:45 PM  Show Profile
Bobbi Miller (Farmchick, #5127) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“Our farm friends, underwent a traumatic season where one broke her hip, and had to have a replacement, and her husband had knee replacement surgery. Putting them both out of commission for over a year. Every morning at 6 am, and every night at 6 pm, we milked and fed the goats, cleaned the barn, gathered the eggs and fed the chickens, fed the donkeys, looked for lambs, and other farm chores as needed.

It was an incredible experience of giving of ourselves. It taught us the value of hard work, the reward of a job well done, and the love for all the critters we took care of! It was the next best thing to having a farm of our own.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  4:45:47 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Miller (Horsecrazygirl, #5126) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“My mom took us out to an elderly couple's farm, where we learned how to milk goats, gather the eggs, feed the goats, sheep, and chickens, and learn to be farm kids!

It awakened a huge love of the country in us kids and made us want to always be out on the farm! We ended up "adopting" the couple as our grandparents!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  4:50:07 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Miller (Horsecrazygirl, #5126) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“One early spring in particular, I learned a lot about lambing and kidding from our farmer friends. A couple nights we stayed up all night in the barn drinking hot chocolate and watching the mothers go through the different stages of labor. One time a mother couldn't get her lamb out, and I had to reach in and pull the baby out. We always loved sitting in the barn and waiting for the babies to come, then taking them back to the house to get warm and give them their bottles!

The memories I have in the barn during kidding and lambing season, are some of my favorite memories ever! Being there to witness the miracle of birth and to help the little babies was the most amazing thing ever. A couple times we even were able to save the babies and or mother's lives!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  4:53:00 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Miller (Horsecrazygirl, #5126) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Lend a Hand to Farm Families Merit Badge!

“One year, our farm friends needed our help to take care of their farm and all of their animals. She had fallen and had a broken hip, and he had to have knee replacement surgery, and because they both were older, they were unable to take care of their farm for about a year. We went every morning and evening, every day, to feed/milk the goats, take care of the donkeys and the sheep, feed the chickens and gather the eggs, and do any and all other chores that needed to be done!

It was an amazing experience, and one of my favorite times growing up. Taking care of the whole farm and making sure that everyone is happy and doing well, was the best thing ever! It was very rewarding, and taught us to care for all the critters, and making sure that they were even cared for before we did anything else that day! It was also great to be able to help our friends and help them get better!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2013 :  3:15:19 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (ShellyS, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I knitted this scarf from a pattern I found on raverly.com called the curly scarf. I plan to give it as a Christmas gift to my neighbor. I think it turned out very nice not as wide as I thought it would be. I plan on making another one.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2013 :  4:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Audrey Morris (Dree, #5517) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“The 3 organizations I considered for this task were: our cub scout pack, my 5th grader's school, and our local community garden. I have put many many hours into cubs in the last 7 years, and this is my last year. I am a bit burnt out, and a heavy commitment there caused me to give less time to school. The community garden is something I want to love, but when we have worked there, they will only let us pull Bermuda grass--I am also ineligible for a plot since we own our house/(shady) yard. But others who own have been permitted plots, which leaves a sour taste in my mouth. So school it is!

I quickly got my 10 hours in by chaperoning a field trip, attending room rep and Autumn Fair meetings, arranging our Autumn Fair game, and I am continuing as CSA chair (about 30 min a week, normally). My new journal is also excellent for school, as we are supposed to report our volunteered hours, and I have never been good at keeping track.

So far so good! I have managed to increase the number of families participating in the CSA program, and am working with our PTA to solve the new aftercare issues with our delivery spot. Field trip went well. Our class autumn fair game brought in over $170, and since we did a wet sponge throw, all sponges and buckets were donated to the classrooms. Very low cost and very low waste.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2013 :  4:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Audrey Morris (Dree, #5517) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We have had our flock of 6 chickens for over 2 years now. They free range in the yard. We use no herbicides/pesticides/fungicides in our yard. We also feed them many scraps--from our organic CSA box (carrot tops, mangled lettuce leaves, the occasional wormy tomato) and from the farmer's market/store (apple csa pear cores, stale bread, stale rice leftovers, etc).

Our flock has done well. We found an old rabbit hutch for free on the street that we turned into the coop, and built a run. It fully complies with city requirements. The boys each have chores regarding feeding, cleaning, etc. We give eggs away and sell some, because we have more than we need. And our ladies are so sweet.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2013 :  4:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“While there is no hard and fast evidence of where origami originated, China is most often associated with it first as with the origin of paper. As with the spread of paper and paper making, origami spread through the world.

Origami literally means "folded paper." The pajarita (little bird) is as common in Spain as the paper airplane is in America.

I finally tried my hand at the crane, and succeeded.

Learning the history of origami was enlightening as I had always thought it was strictly a Japanese art.

As for folding paper, I, like many others, have been making paper airplanes, cups, cubes, and sailboats since I was a child. I had always wanted to make a crane though. Once I got the head opposite the side you pull to make it fly, It turned out pretty good.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2013 :  4:55:38 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Basketry Merit Badge!

“Plaited - when the stakes (material forming ribs) and the weaving material are the same width (like ribbon) and are woven at right angles to each other.

Coiled - when you take a soft fiber, like grasses, and stitch it in a coil, often using raffia and a needle, to create a basket. I learned this technique in junior high school.

Ribbed - also called "twining" is when two more supple materials like fabric and grass, are woven in opposite patterns (one goes over as the other goes under) around the "ribs" or stiff material, like reeds or thin wood, to shape the basket.

Wicker - this is also called "twining" sometimes, however, wicker uses reeds to form both parts of the baskets (warp and weft) such as those associated with Nantucket baskets.

So that I could make sure I had enough of the right materials, I bought a kit. The nice thing is that I now know how much material and of what type it takes to make the size basket I made. It gives me a jump off point for the next basket. I had to remake the bottom several times before I got it flat enough to at least be a respectable weeble basket. it took nearly 6 hours from start to finish.

The last basket I had made before then was a coiled one using cat tails and raffia.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2013 :  2:37:41 PM  Show Profile
Casey Comstock (#5366) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Carp-hen-try Merit Badge!

“I painted my kitchen cupboards white. They were stained wood so I had to sand them first and then stain them. It was a big job! It turned out pretty good.

I would like to replace the knobs, but on another day. It will cost about $75 to replace all the knobs with ones that I want.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2013 :  2:40:59 PM  Show Profile
Casey Comstock (#5366) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I made the goal to walk 30 minutes a day after supper. I really enjoy this! I walk with my husband or with my children. It is a really good time to visit with them. We live in a small town and I love seeing the sights of my little town. We also live near hiking trails and I love seeing nature! The exercise feels so good too! I love doing this so much that I even walk on rainy days.

I feel better and it has inspired me to walk more for other reasons: errand running. I try not to drive if I am in town. It has also got me thinking about winter activities like skiing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2013 :  2:51:29 PM  Show Profile
Casey Comstock (#5366) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I took some time to focus on self-care (relaxing). I made a list of things that I can do daily and weekly to relax. On my list are: take a bath, read a book, do my nails, light candles, listen to classical music. I already walk daily.

I started focusing on my breathing a few times a day and I am trying to deep breathe when I feel stressed. At first it was a conscious effort but by the end of the week I caught myself doing it subconsciously.

I really liked this merit badge! I am a mother of four boys and have a stressful job. It was fun to focus on relaxing!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2013 :  3:16:28 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner and Intermediate Level Build it Green Merit Badge!

“I am applying for the Beginner and Intermediate badge. I learned about safer paint and flooring. I also found that re-purposing is a great way to green up your home. I read a few books about plants and the ones that are most helpful in cleaning the air of houses. It turns out almost exactly half of our furniture is second hand. The last few years I have only bought second hand. I also have filled my house with as many air changing plants as I can. I posted my thoughts on the forum and hope to hear of other ideas for further greening up.

I love the durability and beauty of second hand furniture. They just don't make things like they used to. I also love all the greenery in our home. My husband helped me hang a few more plants this fall that I moved in from the garden. I just couldn't bear to part with them as the cold set in. I take pride in the beauty and environmentally friendly side of our house. My next project will be to green up my floors.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page