Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2013 :  3:30:22 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth Merit Badge!

“We always grow a garden but for the last two years I have been trying to be organic. We don't have too many bug problems but I do nurture the good bugs with plants they like and good habitat for them. I started using only organic fertilizer and compost this year and have been pleased with the results. I have also tried harder to weed regularly so I don't feel so tempted by roundup to get rid of the unwanted plants. I just finished "Montrose: Life in a Garden." I read better in the fall and winter so the reading was the slowest part of this badge.

I love my garden. I have a flower and herb garden and a vegetable garden. I fill it every year with great plants. The herbs are my favorite followed closely by the food. I love the organic support system for my plants.

I enjoyed the book about Montrose too. I love the passion Nancy Goodwin feels for her garden. She has a wonderful relationship with plants and a way with words. I could never be as focused as she is on gardening but can appreciate what she does. The text and artistry in the book was lovely.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2013 :  3:37:42 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Weaving Merit Badge!

“I made 5 cell phone/iPod carriers for friends and family on a homemade loom. They turned out wonderful and a lot of fun. The girls stuff little things inside them as well as their iPods, and my mom uses it to keep her phone close to her as she often doesn't have a pocket to put it in.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2013 :  3:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Johnelle Lamar (johnelle28, #4892) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Greatest Generation Merit Badge!

“I earned this badge by spending time with all of my grandparents and my husband's granddad as well. My maternal grandmother is in a nursing home, and I visit with her roommate as well and once in a while a few of the other residents. When we go back "home" we always stay the night with at least one of the grandparents.

I love spending time with our grandparents. The hardest thing when I had move five hours from "home" this summer, was leaving my grandparents, especially our grandfathers who have had health problems. I nearly lost my paternal grandfather a year ago so time with him is really precious. This last visit, my daughter interviewed her paternal great granddad for a Veterans Day project, and he got out his military discharge papers. We both thought that was really neat.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  2:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Daizy Bailes (Daizy, #1093) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I checked all the faucets and tightened the master bath and the outside tap. I use lots of water with my business so I conserve whenever possible. I don't take long showers and always turn off water while brushing my teeth. I also have a brick in each of my toilet tanks to help use less water.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  2:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Daizy Bailes (Daizy, #1093) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I am in a rural area so I take my recycling when I have to go to town for other reasons. My drop-off location for papers, plastic and cardboard is about 45 miles away so I have a bunch when I go. I have to send my glass to another city that my sister visits. Metal cans go to the local recycling center that takes only metal. I send aluminum cans to a bin that the animal shelter collects and sells for expenses like dog and cat food and vet supplies.

I try to re-purpose all my glass jars with lids. They make great gift containers. I try to re-purpose my papers and cardboard for fire starters in the fall and winter and for vegetable garden paths with mulch on top. Metal coffee cans with plastic lids hold kitchen & craft & bath room items....also dog treats.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  2:26:26 PM  Show Profile
Daizy Bailes (Daizy, #1093) has received a certificate of achievement in
Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“My Service Journal is my datebook. I have been a Girl Scout and Boy Scout leader for years. I enjoyed helping the kids learn things that would make them good adults. We camped, played, read and studied and made men and women out of boys and girls. I still keep in touch with our area troops.

I am a member of a women's group that has lots of fun and when we are together we usually have a charity to collect for. We have made donations to animal rescues that help the disabled. We have collected for cancer survivors and shelters for women and children.

I also volunteer, when I can, with my local fire department. It is a volunteer station. I am selling tickets for a plate lunch with all the fixings now. We raffled off a quilt last year. I post this info on my FB page so my local friends can come.

I am the secretary/treasure of my states Charolais Association (Cattle). There are several others but these are the ones I am most active in.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  2:35:17 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Platt (GardenGirl50, #5353) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I have planted many native shrubs and perennials in my garden. They are great because they are very sustainable. They require very little work. Once they are planted I can just leave them be. The beneficial insects love them! I have 2 large Ceanothus shrubs (California Lilac) and when they are in bloom, it is amazing the amount of Honey Bees, Native Bumble Bees, and other insects swarm these shrubs.

I became a Sonoma County Master Gardener in 2011. I absolutely love it!

It has turned out Fabulous. I love all the native plants I have in my garden. They are the easiest plants to take care of. I love being a Master Gardener. I have met a lot of wonderful people. And I love the volunteering aspect of it.

When I was taking the Master Gardener classes, I read “Roots Demystified” by Robert Kourik.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  4:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have been collecting re-usable shopping bags for my grocery shopping. I love that it is helping the environment but also helping me since I know that the bags will hold the groceries.

I have committed to using them for my shopping and keep them in my vehicle.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  4:36:00 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“For the past few years I have been researching ways to clean my home without the use of toxic chemicals. I love using recipes that only require Baking Soda, White Vinegar, Essential Oils and Elbow Grease.

I have tried several Homemade Laundry Detergent recipes but have not been happy. I did however find a wonderful alternative: Charlie's Laundry Soap.

It works wonderful especially since my household has sensitive skin and is non-toxic.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  4:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I found a blogging host and started my blog: http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

I published my first post and have submitted my blog for Girl Gab.

I look forward to keeping this online journal.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  4:42:16 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Birds Merit Badge!

“I made a bird feeder for our garden. It has been fun watching the birds and seeing the different varieties come and feed.

I keep a journal of which birds have visited, time of day, and season.

Excerpts:

Summer: Throughout the whole day I have Finches, Red Winged Blackbirds, Indigo Bunting and Chickadees come.

Winter: Morning hours especially Juncos feed and throughout the day Finches, Chickadees and Starlings.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  4:45:40 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Build it Green Merit Badge!

“I spent time researching online different ways of decorating my home green. Some of the ways that I do decorate green are by bringing the outdoors indoors (such as the wasp nest on a branch and the sage garland in the photo). I also try to re-use what I have already in addition to shopping at Thrift Stores or Antique Shops (which I love!)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  4:48:58 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Wild Game Merit Badge!

“I am very blessed to live in Colorado. We have frequent visits from Elk, Deer and Pheasants.

I enjoyed working on this merit badge as I am very interested in hunting as well as photographing wildlife.

The different types of wild game in our area include: Elk, Mule Deer, Black Bear, Mountain Lions, Pheasant, Chukkars, Wild Turkey and Grouse just to name a few.

I researched the safe and proper handling of wild game meat through the online resource listed below:

www.ext.colostate.edu/safefood/newsltr/v14n1s02.html

I also have picked up a few of the hunting proclamations from our division of wildlife to research the laws concerning hunting, trapping and fishing wild game.

I look forward to working to participating in a Hunter Safety Program so I can hunt next year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  4:54:40 PM  Show Profile
Sharon Demers (Calicogirl, #5392) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Ink Slinger Merit Badge!

“I read Strunk and White's The Element of Style. I remembered reading this book when in college during a Creative Writing Class.

I wrote a children's story (1368 words)making sure to use proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.

I had both family and friends read and review the story accepting constructive criticism.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2013 :  4:19:31 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Platt (GardenGirl50, #5353) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“I have completed a Fabric Collage. It measures 15x12.5. On a piece of burlap I sewed on several scraps of fabric and lace. I am always looking for old lace in second hand or antique stores. Then I sewed on ribbons and more lace for a layered look. On top of that I did hand embroidery with silk ribbons and various embroidery threads. I added lots of buttons, beads and pretty embellishments (everything is sewed on, no glue). I then sewed the burlap onto a piece of cotton batting and then a piece of decorator fabric. I love leaving the edges raw and uneven. I love the look of it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2013 :  4:30:47 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Platt (GardenGirl50, #5353) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Nellie Will-do Merit Badge!

“This project is 3 12”x12” crazy quilt blocks. They feature family weddings. The first block is of my husbands parents wedding. The second block is my husbands and my wedding. The third is of my parents wedding. They each have lots of hand embroidered stitches of silk ribbons and other embroidery threads. I added lots of beads, buttons and other fun embellishments. I sewed each block onto layers of fabric. I left the layers of fabric with the raw uneven edges. I found a scrap of wood trim at a salvage store and I painted it with Chalk Paint. I nailed clothes pins onto the trim and hung each block with the clothes pins. I then put some wire to hang the whole piece on the wall. I screwed two glass knobs into the wall to hang the whole piece on.

I have been working on these blocks for a very long time. I didn’t know what I was going to do with them. I finally thought of this idea of the scrap wood trim and clothes pins. I love how it turned out. It makes me smile every time I look at it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2013 :  4:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Donna Lees-Kennedy (Montana.woman, #5398) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I took an old pair of jeans and turned it in to a half apron. Took me about 4 hours to make. I think my jean apron turned out really cute. I can't wait to make some more as gifts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2013 :  4:55:40 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Boyd (NancyOH1, #2508) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Icing on the Cake Merit Badge!

“I enrolled in the Wilton Cake Decorating Course 1 - Decorating Basics/Building Buttercream Skills at my local Joann's Etc. Classes were held every Monday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. (10/14/13, 10/21/13, 10/28/13, and 11/4/13). The icing decorated cookies, cakes (2), and Ganosh filled cupcakes all turned out wonderful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2013 :  3:44:07 PM  Show Profile
Michele' Preston (batznthebelfry, #2622) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“For this badge I decided to take out everything in all the cabinets, 1st to see what was in there, what was so outdated it needed to go food wise & what had no lids, or lids with no container & put those into our recycling, plus keep a few that would be put in the chickens area for use if needed. By the time I was done I had a huge 30 gallon trash bag of just things that could go into recycling. I also went through all the equipment like mixers, blender & so on to see if all the parts were there & they were still use able(working). I set up one large cabinet that now holds all my mixers, blender, processors & parts so for once everything is in one place.

What I liked about this is that now I go through the cabinets at least every 3 months to rid it of plastic containers not needed. I also love the fact that all the machines & parts are in one place that no one ever uses but me so nothing gets misplaced. It has also helped me use the canned goods without forgetting about them or pushing them to the back where they are forgotten.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2013 :  3:52:01 PM  Show Profile
Michele' Preston (batznthebelfry, #2622) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“While living semi-off-grid this last year & having access to raw milk so I taught myself to make homemade yogurt & Ricotta cheese using a book my older sister gave me. I was able to buy the cheese making supplies through a catalog I got there.

The 1st couple of times the yogurt was a bit runny because I hadn't wrapped it up enough to keep it warm but the chickens didn't mind since I was making it for them to have throughout the winter. the ricotta came out quite well & I am fairly good at making it now & enjoy the process. Even made some for the man I got the milk from.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2013 :  3:54:51 PM  Show Profile
Michele' Preston (batznthebelfry, #2622) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“For this one I decided to try whey ricotta & mozzarella. Like with the Beginner cheesemaking, I had access to raw milk so could make these at least up to 3-4 times a week. I made these the whole year I was in NY on the farm.

I think it's funny how easy the whey ricotta was & I left it over night on the stove to stay warm & the next morning I had some wonderful cheese that I added some of my fresh cut herbs too. The mozzarella I learned sometimes can be a bit touchy & if not the right temp becomes hard little beads but is still edible & great in salads.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2013 :  4:02:40 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I started with making laundry soap. I have been making our laundry soap for about a year now. I love how much less soap I use and how much better our clothes smell. Next I made window cleaner. I have never found a window cleaner I liked from the store so this wasn't hard to try. I now enjoy window and mirror cleaning a little more now. I just recently added all purpose cleaner, floor cleaner and dish soap. I shared my recipes with my sister and my mom. They were both interested in the savings of money and the safer cleaners in their homes.

My favorite cleaner for this badge is the laundry soap. I love the smell of my soap and how my clothes come out clean yet not full of chemicals. I think it is so much better for my family and for our clothes. The window cleaner is my second favorite and I am no longer afraid of streaks on my windows or mirrors. I think my new improved cleaners are actually better at cleaning than the chemicals I used to use. I hope my sister and mom try out my recipes. I was even thinking about sending them some of them made by me for Christmas presents.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2013 :  4:12:01 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I am applying for the Beginner, Intermediate and Expert levels of this badge. I have a flower/ herb garden that I have maintained for 6 years. Over the years I have added and removed various plants. I harvest and dry all my herbs and store them alone or mixed for my cooking. I currently grow thyme, oregano, basil, summer savory, winter savory, lemon balm, lemon verbena, lavender, chives, lemon thyme, peppermint, catnip, and dill. I have gifted dried herbs to my dad, my mom, my sister, and my grandma. I have given fresh herbs to one friend and a few plants to two different friends to start their herb gardens.

I love my garden and my bottles of herbs. I printed out nice labels for my bottles and love seeing my herbs replace something store bought in my cabinet. I love passing along my herbs too. The savory herbs are not common here but I am definitely getting people acquainted with them for their roasts and steaks.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2013 :  4:28:12 PM  Show Profile
Shelly Schrader (ShellyS, #5481) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I pulled out all my storage containers. I matched each bowl with a lid. I had 16 lids with no bowls and 5 bowls with no lids. I boxed them up and gave to my brother. My cabinet is very clean and organized now.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2013 :  4:47:23 PM  Show Profile
Barb Keefe (ranerider, #5355) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“Relaxation and Stress:

I am a physical therapist and have actually taught some stress reduction classes. Even though I understand the physical signs and symptoms of stress I still have to practice the techniques to reduce the impact, so this badge was a good one for me to begin with.

Stress is the body’s response to an event, good or bad. Our bodies are wired to have a flight or fight response. Our nervous system revs up to get us ready to flee the scene or stay and fight the predator. In modern times we don’t have to flee or actually fight. Our predator might be illness, working long hours, busy schedules, or other events out of our control. An event may be stressful to one person and not to another due to the person’s perception of the event taking place.

Our bodies react physically to stress and it is not “all in our heads”. There is an increased heart rate, breathing, and blood flow changes to supply the muscles to flee or fight. Over time this builds up and people start showing signs of stress and burnout. People react differently to stress but common symptoms are fatigue, irritability, insomnia, headaches, backaches, stomach upset and forgetfulness.

There are many ways to help combat stress. The first one can be difficult but it is to change the way we think about events in the first place. Deep breathing can slow the fight or flight response neurologically. We also need to take care of ourselves by eating right, exercising, getting a good night of sleep, and managing our schedules. It seems that when we need to manage stress the most is when these techniques go out the window sometimes and it takes a conscious effort to stay on track.

Other things that can help are massages, finding a calming activity such as reading or yoga, taking a break or vacation. Individuals have activities that are relaxing to them and it is important to know what they are and try to schedule some time to do it. Many people like to read, spend time with their family, go out with friends, or spend time in nature to help them distress. I like to go “junking” by browsing through second hand stores or antique shops and take a little mental break.

Journaling is also very helpful to sort out thoughts and get it off my chest. The Book of Amazing is like it in a way it keeps perspectives positive and the gratitude journal supports this.

These past two years have been very stressful for me with an elderly ill mother who passed away, working full time and getting my doctorate. I was able to utilize a lot of these techniques and never “crashed” during all of it. It’s nice to think I can get a badge for it!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page