Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  6:23:00 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Mathis (Andi, #5199) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level First-Aid Merit Badge!

“I successfully completed my first aid course. I am so glad I took time out of my busy schedule to attend this class. It was full of useful knowledge and a good refresher on the things I already knew. I also encouraged my co workers to take the course.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  6:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Ann Woody (Ann Woody, #4665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have acquired well over 50 buttons. I have some inherited from my mother that I mostly just look at and feel of them. I have a jar full of others that I bought at a yard sale from teenage girls trying to raise money for their school. A good many of them were still on cards. Prices on the cards were from 10 cents to a quarter so they had to be rather old.

I enjoy how it turned out as it gives me a ready supply of buttons for replacing lost ones and also for any creative projects I may decide to try. I put them in a gallon size what I believe to be pickle jar that I inherited from my grandmother who passed away in 1962. She would really approve of my repurposing the old jar and it makes me think of her.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  6:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Jacinda Jenks (fairlady, #5732) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“My grandma sent me a vintage button bracelet for Christmas as a pattern. I used some of my button collection buttons, flower beads I got as a present last year for Mother's Day, and brown bugle beads. Saturday I showed my fellow Farmgirls my bracelet and they thought it was adorable. The first Friday in April I will be teaching them all how to make their own.

I have worn my bracelet several times since I have made it and have received several comments. All have been good of course."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  6:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Jacinda Jenks (fairlady, #5732) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Safe Toys Merit Badge!

“To make my five bean bags I decided to make fruit. I already had a pattern to make fruit pincushions so I decided to adapt the pattern for bean bags. The pattern I used was Fresh Picked Pincushions by Heather Bailey. The pattern only shows how to make pear, apple, tomato, and strawberries so for the orange and the fig I had to get a little creative. The orange bean bag I modified the tomato pattern and for the fig I shrunk the pear pattern by 75 percent. I filled the bean bags up of course with beans (stale beans that have been lying around for awhile).

I showed my fellow Farmgirls and of course they liked them, so next month I will be teach a class on making fruit bean bags.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  4:51:45 PM  Show Profile
Jacinda Jenks (fairlady, #5732) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I have always enjoyed folding origami but never really knew the history of it. So I went to my local public library and checked out a couple of books; Complete Origami by David Mitchell, and Crease+Fold by Sok Song. In these books there are so many great patterns to try and the best part is that they start with beginner level patterns and work there way up to expert level. Also in the book Complete Origami by David Mitchell at the beginning of the book there is a section on the History of Origami. After reading it I have a whole new appreciation for this creative and interesting medium of art. I also tried a few of the patterns and have made a wish list of what I want to fold next.

So excited to starting learning how to fold flowers to make a flower arrangement with them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  5:01:47 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Cox (#5585) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I earned my merit badge by learning how to loom knit on a round loom. I first learned how to just make round, tunnel pieces and then how to make flat pieces.

I made a hat, several scarfs with fringe and now I have been working on ruffle scarfs using a rectangle loom and moving from one side to the other. I have another scarf started on the larger round loom that I plan to complete and then add a fringe border. This one is made with the thicker yarn and really soft. I have given away two ruffle scarfs and given two of the flat scarfs with fringe as Christmas gifts.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  5:02:37 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Cox (#5585) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have six bags I collected to shop with. I am committed to shopping with them. I found out that I need different sizes for different things as well as a plastic/insulated or lined bag for 'wet' things.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  5:04:16 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Cox (#5585) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I make my own laundry detergent and use vinegar as softener. I use vinegar or washing soda to mop my floors and I clean tubs/basins/sinks with it as well.

My house smells clean without using harsh chemicals. I like that my clothes are clean and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!! It lasts much long because I don't have to use as much! I make a dry power type using Naptha bars, Borax, and Washing Soda. I will continue making my own laundry soap and using vinegar as a main ingredient in my cleaning.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  5:20:56 PM  Show Profile
Amber Warfield (#4582) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Farmgirl Gratitude Merit Badge!

“I started writing a gratitude journal and making daily entries January 20, 2014. I have made a daily entry every day and have also been reading The Book of Awesome Daily.

I love doing this and plan on keeping it up. I plan on finishing the book. I like how it gives me a different perspective and reminds me to be grateful for the little things.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  5:25:37 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jo Boyd (Quiltsister413, #5559) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Farmgirl Spirit Merit Badge!

“Beginner
I held a Farmgirl meeting and invited members and non members to come see what being a farmgirl is all about.

Intermediate
We live in a very rural area and don't get new neighbors very often, so I gathered all the local Farmer's Market, Organic Farms and Dairies and Organic Meat Market phone numbers to share and distribute to our group, who can in turn share with their friends.

Advanced
I ordered the What's a Farmgirl cards and have been handing them out to everyone I meet. I attend several local guilds and have been talking about the farmgirl sisterhood to anyone I see.

Beginner
We had a great turnout especially since the weather has been so nasty. Six wonderful ladies came and enjoyed lots of girl time, ate homemade apple muffins and learned how to complete at least two badges. One was the scrapbook binders for our group. Each of the ladies received a binder, all the inserts, and got to choose their own scrapbook supplies so they could go home a create their own Farm Girl Binder.

Next they learned how to earn their Shopping Green Badge by collecting at least 6 re-usable bags to shop with. I already have one gal who contacted me with a picture showing her new shopping bags!

Intermediate
The girls really liked hearing about places they can get "real" food in our area. We even have two fields trips we are planning to a local organic dairy farm and a bakery that uses whole grains. When summer arrives we will start attending our local farmer's markets.

Advanced
I think I am becoming known as a "farmgirl" because that's all I have been talking about to anyone that will listen. Our group continues to grow and the way we are all bonding together for a better way of life is amazing! I am so happy to see the joy the Farmgirl Sisterhood is bringing these ladies and the confidence I see growing in them every day.

So shout it from the rooftops!! Farmgirls Rock!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  5:39:44 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jo Boyd (Quiltsister413, #5559) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I knitted a very simple scarf with large needles and bulky yarn.

I have never knitted in my life so I figured this badge was a great one to take me way out of my comfort zone and tackle something brand new! I am a quilter by nature so I would say I am somewhat creative and crafty. But I am allergic to wool. Yes that's right...allergic but willing to learn to knit with what...you guessed it...wool yarn! I can do this!

First thing to do is buy yarn and some knitting needles. No sweat! I head over to Michaels and walk back to the yarn section. Uh Oh! There are a million different kinds of yarn. I knew I wanted to start out making a fluffy scarf so I walked up and down feeling every skein as I went until I found one that was very soft and pretty bulky. Yarn...check!

Now needles. A friend told me to get Size 13 so I found a set of those and they were purple, my favorite color. Double Check!

My first volunteer teacher went back to college and I was left with yarn and needles, but no teacher. Luckily, my friend and co-worker knits and was willing to teach me. My first lesson went pretty good. She taught me how to cast on and how to knit stitch. I found out the yarn I bought was probably going to be a difficult choice for a beginner, but I had confidence I could do it!!

I left her house with about three rows of knitting on my needle and had casted on 14 stitches. This is important information.

I went home and knitted up a storm. My scarf grew longer and longer...and wider and wider. About half way through I counted my stitches and was up to 20. How in the world does that happen?! Apparently I was increasing (wrapping the yarn around the needle before knitting the stitch). See how much I have learned already! I know how to accidentally increase! Well the remainder of the scarf stayed at 20...Whew!

I signed up for a Craftsy course on knitting so I could watch over and over how to cast on, knit stitch, bind off and weave my ends in. The scarf took about a week. Not half bad for a newbie knitter!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  5:41:51 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jo Boyd (Quiltsister413, #5559) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I made a keyhole scarf using a wursted merino wool yarn and Size 7 bamboo needles.

The keyhole scarf required knit, purl, increase, decrease, bind off in the middle to create a keyhole, seaming and blocking. Wow! Don’t I sound like a knitter?

I enjoyed this scarf. It really took some concentration at times, but I was able to follow along and it turned out cute!

My cat decided to help a few times and bit my yarn in two! I didn't realize it until my yarn ran out and the end was wet. Jonah!!! Luckily I was at the end of that section!!

I made a knit tote bag to carry my supplies in and even a needle case that I quilted and embroidered.

Very fun so far!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  5:59:24 PM  Show Profile
Lissa Napora (weavingthefuture, #5730) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“I started this blog a while ago, but haven't posted much. I am committing to being a more frequent poster.

I chose blogger for it's simplicity. I've used word press, live journal and several other services in the past. So far, it looks like blogger is going to meet my needs for this blog.

I tried a number of names, all of which were already in use, before settling on sustaining my spirit. Most of my blog posts will be regarding things that sustain me ... fiber arts and needle crafts, gardening, and more.

I signed up to be included in GirlGab.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  6:07:54 PM  Show Profile
Robyn Barney (Lakeviewgram, #5664) has received a certificate of achievement in Each other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“The Merit bad requirement is to read "Blogging for Bliss; Crafting Your own Online journal: A guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds" by Tara Frey.

I ordered this book from Amazon and started reading it January 5, 2014 and finished reading it January 20, 2014.

The second part of the merit badge was to choose a topic that I was passionate about. The main topic I choose was gardening.

This is a topic I am extremely interested in right now. The book was very helpful and had some great ideas.

It helped me choose a topic and I think it's a good basis to start a blog.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  6:12:28 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“As a result of a house fire in July 1994 we had to completely rebuild our house, from the foundation up. The house that burned was a log house which is different in many ways from a frame house for insulating, etc.

The house we built is a frame house and as my husband is a contractor with considerable knowledge about construction we were able to make educated and reasonable decisions about construction and insulation. We did use fiberglass with the proper rating for our climate and it is very efficient.

Our windows are double pane with wooden frames and are also very efficient. We preferred wooden frames over aluminum and have been happy with them. We use "honeycomb" blinds in all of our windows which also provide additional insulation for heat and/or cold. At this point in time we are not in need of any upgrade but will certainly do that if and when the time comes.

Our electric company does not offer rebates or credits for insulation issues, however they do for heating and cooling equipment.

Because there has been some new construction in our area and another neighbor is doing a major remodel on house that he just purchased, and with my hubby's knowledge, we have been able to share a lot of information about insulation, windows and construction with these folks.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  6:19:10 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“This application is for ALL three levels of the PUTTING AWAY FOR WINTER Merit Badge: Beginner, Intermediate and Expert

Beginner Level:

I grew up on a farm where putting away for winter was the way of life. My mother was an expert at this and taught me as a teenager. It was something all of us had to do together to get the work done for our family of eight.

Freezing, canning and drying produce is something I’ve done all my life and with the assistance of my daughter and husband. I also have my preferences for which process I use for different food items and much of that has been through experience by trying different methods.

I prefer to and do freeze: summer squash/zucchini, either sliced or shredded; winter squash, usually precooked; corn, cut off of the cob; apples, shredded (with peel on); peas; beets and/or carrots, peeled and sliced. I also like to freeze applesauce and peaches, however I also water bath can them.

Intermediate Level:

Drying produce or meats was not something my mother did, however, after I was married it is a method that my hubby and I use regularly.

Our first experience was using homemade screens to dry grapes for making raisins. It was relatively successful but we prefer the electric dehydrators.

I have also used the tie-it-up-and-hang-to-dry method for herbs, which include lemon basil, rosemary, chocolate mint, savory, oregano, etc. and lavender from my garden, which, for the most part, works well for that. I’ve learned it’s important to keep an eye on this process.

We researched dehydrators before purchasing and now own two that have several trays that work very well and get used a lot during harvest season.

I prefer to and do dehydrate: tomatoes, sliced; cherries, pitted; apricot halves; apple slices; etc.

Some favorite dishes to prepare include soup/stew using both frozen and dehydrated items, as well as sauces for pasta, pizza toppings, Mexican dishes and to include in casserole dishes. Fruit goes into compote, baked goods, etc.

Expert Level:

My mother also taught me how to use a pressure canner and water bath process properly and which to use for what food items. She also taught me how to sterilize jars, prepare lids and check jars for nicks or cracks and to use only jars designed for this purpose. To this day people who come to visit see my shelves of canned goods in the utility room and have nice comments to make!

I have canned mincemeat made with venison but it is not something that we currently do and don’t really prefer to do that. We prefer to and do make venison, elk and/or beef jerky, usually the latter as we raise our own beef.

I prefer to and do can: green beans or yellow wax beans; pears; applesauce; peaches; apricots; plums; jams and jellies, etc. I do can some tomatoes, but we prefer to dry tomatoes for most of our uses. I am very careful to use the proper method of pressure canning or water bath, with proper pressure and timing . . . VERY CAREFUL!

I have also, when there was an abundance of tomatoes and time was an issue, frozen tomatoes whole to be used later in sauces, soups, stews, etc.

We very consistently prepare our meals and many dishes with a combination of our “put away” food items. My hubby is an excellent cook as well and we try to be creative with our recipes and will share with our family and friends the source of the ingredients and how they were preserved.

We own two freezers and a vast pantry as well as the equipment to prepare and “put away”! I have shared this with the Farmgirls Southwest Henhouse in the Henhouse/Chapter forum.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  6:22:28 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“The testing is done and our house passed with flying colors. I didn't anticipate any issues because it's not an old house (finished in November 1994) and is a very simple, basic frame construction. Single story, two entrances, one bathroom, basic pitched roof, etc.

The only thing that needed attention was the weatherstripping/sealer around the exterior doors. We used to have a cat that, when she wanted back in the house, would scratch and tear at the weatherstripping and destroyed it. So, that had to be replaced.

Hopefully, things will stay in good order for a long while to come.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  6:27:38 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“A while back, I had purchased the book "Worms eat my Garbage" in order to earn this merit badge. After reading the first few chapters, I realized that perhaps worm farming was not for me. Flash forward to today… I had a complete change of attitude! I was going through some of my books to donate and I came across the book. I starting flipping through it, and before I knew it an hour had gone by! Needless to say, I was hooked!!

I couldn't believe how excited and intrigued I was about worm farming! The next day I ordered my very own worm bin and I am now the proud Mama of 1,000 red wrigglers!

Now worms are eating MY garbage!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  6:32:16 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner, Intermediate & Expert Level Entrepreneurial Spirit Merit Badge!

“* Beginner- I always talked about "What am I going to do with myself when the kids are grown"? I have so many hobbies, but making the transition from hobby to business was a scary one. My husband owns his own business, so he was very helpful in laying out my business plan and how much money we could invest in materials, packaging, and advertising.

Finding a name took a little bit longer. I wanted it to reflect me, and my product. Sweet Lamb Heritage is the perfect fit!

* Intermediate- I signed up with an online company to handle all of the shipping needs. I received a scale, which made shipping costs accurate. Selling on an online community makes things so easy to receive payment, it keeps things organized so that you can see how many people are visiting your online shop each day and it's fun! I didn't need any business cards, but I did want custom tags for my products!

* Expert- Sweet Lamb Heritage is official! I am currently selling 20 items and I had my first order yesterday! One of the great things about today's social media, it's very easy to advertise!

I sold my very first scarf yesterday!! In celebration of my first sale, I did buy myself a bracelet that says "Sweet Lamb" from a fellow Etsy artist!

Being able to have a business doing something I love is truly a blessing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  6:39:02 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Know Your Food Merit Badge!

“* Beginner- In January I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I was 140 lbs on my 5'4" frame… not that heavy! But because of family history and my gestational diabetes, any little extra weight was putting me at risk. I ate a lot of healthy food, but I also ate a lot of unhealthy food. A complete overhaul was needed! I read several books, including "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle", and also" Reversing diabetes", which talks about eating a plant based diet to cure oneself. I am so surprised by how good real food is! I also wanted to help my family eat better. We have all come so far in the month and a half. My fridge is LOADED with greens, fruit, and almond milk! We eat raw veggies as snacks in school and after. Every dinner comes with a salad. Veggie lasagna isn't just spinach, it's loaded with mushrooms, kale, sweet potato puree, and tomatoes! I am so proud of my family for helping me and themselves to eat better.

I have been growing my own sprouts for weeks now… delis! And because of the diabetes, I have to keep a food journal to see which foods make my glucose high. We don't eat any artificial sweeteners and definitely no hydrogenated oils! Yuck!

* Intermediate - Because I eat a plant based diet, its really important for me to grow a lot of my food. My hubby and I are making 4 more raised beds to add to our garden. You can't get any more local than that! I grow my foods organically also. I looked into joining a CSA, but I am having a hard time finding one that isn't sold out!! I guess that's good news for our county! One of our favorite desserts is baked apples.. no sugar needed!! We sweeten most of our foods with agave and honey… no high fructose corn syrup in this house! Tomorrow I am proving to my son that cupcakes made from scratch are far more superior than the ones from a box!

Its been AWESOME!! We all feel better, look better and have so much energy! I am down almost 15 lbs since January and I am hoping that my endocrinologist takes me off of my medication soon, because my glucose numbers have been GREAT!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  6:47:20 PM  Show Profile
Beverly Gamache (#5778) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“I needed to make a beginners sewing kit with a homemade pinkeeper. I had a decorative box with a magnetic closure that I thought would make a perfect sewing kit. In my kit is a pair of sewing scissors, a seam ripper, a needle threader, several sewing needles,pins, a measuring tape,6 different colors of thread,a nail file, (my nails are forever getting snags, I recycled 2 allergy medicine bottles 1 for holding a selection of buttons and another for holding an assortment of safety pins. I also made 2 pinkeepers. I can leave one next to my sewing machine when sewing and the other one is a flower that goes on your wrist to hold pins.

I like the way the kit turned out because being in a decorative box I can leave the kit out and always on hand. I do not need to try to gather stuff for a project. It is all in one place.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  6:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“So I spent time researching the different type of products available. What made them cruelty free and organic health and beauty products versus commercially made. I have very sensitive skin and have been using mineral make up for some time. I recently switch to E.L.F make up mineral line not only for the price but because their make up is cruelty free, no parabens, no preservatives , or chemicals. I also switched to Tom's of Maine for the same reason.

My daughter's and I made bath salts using dead salt and French lavender oil from Provence. It was lovely.

It is fun learning about how different companies package their goods and what they put in their product. It gives you a new perspective on doing business with them.”
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  6:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“Continuing to discover more products I use that I need to switch out. I still have sensitive skin. Shampoo and conditioners have always been a problem. I have chosen to use one that is all natural that has no preservatives, parabens, and no silicone.

Used apple cider to remove residue from my hair so new shampoo would work better. Made a wonderful bath soak or my itchy skin out of powered buttermilk.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  6:58:45 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne Holland (Suzanneh, #828) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Expert Level My Fair Farmgirl Merit Badge!

“I have pretty much narrowed down all of my make up and face cleaning products to only natural/ organic ones. No preservatives and parabens and made a big difference in my skin appearance.

My kids have sensitive skin too so the new products and the things we have made work for them too.

My daughters and I fixed baskets for my mother in law and sister in law, and some close friends with hand made wash cloths, sugar scrub, butter milk bath soak, and Dead Sea salt- lavender soak -----they were a hit!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2014 :  7:03:00 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Julian (TeresaJ25, #1348) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“I LOVED reading Lynn Coulter's book "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds"! I enjoyed the tips, facts, and history of so many heirloom flowers, fruits, and vegetables. I was surprising to learn that some of the plants I currently grow are heirloom varieties!

I visited the website "seedsavers.org" and looked at their many varieties of heirloom seeds available. I think when I learn to save my own seeds, I will join seed savers. I did purchase quite a few heirloom varieties of tomatoes and greens from a local store and another online source. I am the most excited for my "Rainbow's End tomatoes"!

The seeds I started indoors have sprouted, just waiting for the true leaves to appear! As soon as my weather warms up to work the soil, I will plant my heirloom cabbage, kale, and lettuce seeds!”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page