Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  4:02:35 PM  Show Profile
Vicki Johnson (#5773) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Plant it Forward Merit Badge!

“I planted extra tomato, zuccini and cucumber plants this year. There are a couple of families that we plan to donate to.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  4:07:14 PM  Show Profile
Mary Duffel (Madelena, #3153) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Disconnect to Reconnect Merit Badge!

“REQUESTING BEGINNER AND INTERMEDIATE BADGES.

Hubby and I visited the National Parks and Forested areas of Southern Utah with a dozen other fellow camper/friends.

No iPhone service, No TV, just the beauty of nature surrounding us.

In addition to disconnecting, we also Dry Camped most of the time.. no water/ no electricity.

It was great. Every evening we all gathered around the campfire. Guitars and sometimes mountain dulcimers appeared for entertainment. Not to mention the marshmallows!

We had so much fun exploring the outstanding sandstone rock formations! And the company of many new friends.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  4:31:51 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Baker (sariejack, #5926) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Horse Dreams Merit Badge!

“I was helping my daughter earn her Young Cultivator badge in Horsin' Around, so we drove around town looking at our neighbors' horses. I love the sorrel-colored American Quarter Horses, but my daughter is partial to paints. I arranged for us to meet our neighbor's horses and feed them carrots and grain.

The horses were so greedy! LOL We loved getting to meet them up close. My daughter is determined to get a horse of her own and I would love to as well.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  4:37:05 PM  Show Profile
Courtney Robbins (FolkHearts, #4840) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“When I was little girl I wanted an American Girl doll more than anything in the world, but my parents didn't really have the extra money to spare on one. I came home from school one day and my mother had sewed me a doll that was the same height and she had made me a whole bag full of knitted doll clothes! I loved my beautiful redheaded doll and all of the hand knitted sweaters!!!!

Two years ago I asked my mother to show me how to knit so that I could someday make my children clothes and later pass it on to my grandchildren. My first project was a wavy rib pattern scarf. After that I started making knitted headbands with colorful knitted flowers with buttons! Recently I have become a beginner using circular needles which I had never tried before and found a little challenging to get used to!

My most recent scarf that I made I would consider beginner level, was a drop stitch cowl pattern. I used super bulky yarn and large needles so that I could wrap it around a couple of times. I gave my sister the purple one that I made and I kept a maroon colored one for myself! During the process I learned a new cast on for knitting in the round, I learned how to yarn over, drop a stitch, and practice on my circular needles! I am super proud of the cowls and I am anxious to make some more for this winter to give away for Christmas presents!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  4:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Courtney Robbins (FolkHearts, #4840) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“My mother taught me how to crochet at the beginning of this year. She was currently making some granny squares and it looked really interesting so I had her get me started. I went out and purchased some easy crochet project books and found a produce bag pattern on ravelry that I really really wanted to make. I had to learn how to read a pattern, crochet a magic loop, sc, hdc, dc, ch, and inc.

My produce bag came out so good that I decided to make another one and give it to my sister!! After learning how to read the pattern it has given me so much more confidence in my abilities, it has also helped me learn how to alter and change things like length of the bag and the strap!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  4:43:47 PM  Show Profile
Courtney Robbins (FolkHearts, #4840) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have been collecting buttons since I was in High School. Recently, I have started making my own Ceramic buttons to add to my collection, which is well over 50 buttons at this point!

I love my ceramic buttons! To get different and interesting textures I pressed old lace doilies and used rubber stamps. I also carved a few of them by hand. To put the finishing touches on my ceramic buttons I used non-toxic glazes and paint pens!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2014 :  5:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Mairi O'Sullivan (#5644) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I have started my button collection. I'm guessing there's over 100 of them so far. They are incredibly colorful!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2014 :  5:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Mairi O'Sullivan (#5644) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Weather Merit Badge!

“Beginner: No atmosphere = no rain.
"High" pressure usually indicates warm & sunny, "low" pressure usually indicates storms. A barometer simply measures barometric pressure. I own several.

Intermediate: Clouds are formed with water vapor (water & air). Classification(s) of clouds are... cirrus (highest), stratus, cumulus, nimbus (storm), cirro-cumulus, alto-cumulus, strato-cumulus, alto-stratus, cirro-stratus (also very high).

I learned these as part of my training as a certified storm spotter in NW Ohio. It's an ongoing process!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2014 :  5:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Mairi O'Sullivan (#5644) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Sew Wonderful Merit Badge!

“Beginner: As a longtime sewer/seamstress, I have accumulated many sewing kits.

Intermediate: Straight and flat seams are a breeze, but I did, however, learn the French seam.

Wonderful! It's always cool to learn new sewing techniques.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2014 :  5:30:28 PM  Show Profile
Mairi O'Sullivan (#5644) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“Beginner: Chives, Oregano, Catnip, Chamomile, Basil, Rosemary. I have cooked with many of them for years.

Intermediate: I am currently growing chives and Chamomile in my mini-herb garden. So far, so good!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2014 :  5:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Mairi O'Sullivan (#5644) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“Beginner: I have planted beans and they will grow up the trellis made from pallets.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2014 :  5:50:58 PM  Show Profile
Carole Prevost-Meier (ceridwen, #3610) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have 5 plastic types bags that I like to use for groceries. I also designed my own 100% cotton bag for vegetables. I can throw them in the was when needed. I did some machine embroidery on it, but not crazy about the design. I also made a couple of cotton bags to give as gifts. I also use a fabric bag with six compartment for when I purchase wine.

The bags fits nicely in one bag. I always return my bags to the trunk of my car after lugging the groceries inside. This way I do not forget them. It's a habit! I'm thinking that I need to create a smaller lighter weight cotton bag for bulk foods. Beat brining heavy jars! I had to put a finish date, but it's not finished, I continue to use my bags!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2014 :  5:57:56 PM  Show Profile
Carole Prevost-Meier (ceridwen, #3610) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Buttoned Up Merit Badge!

“I love to collect buttons. I enjoy going to rummage sales, just to look for a container full of buttons. I live in a very old town/village and on memorial day weekend there's a town wide garage sale. It's always fun to see what people bring out of their homes to sell. I'm always on the look out for buttons and feed sack! ;o) I keep my button collection in old vintage jars. I tend to use my buttons on wool projects and/or dolls.

I'm proud of my button collection. All are recycled buttons, either purchase at rummage sales, flea markets and or removed from discarded clothing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  2:36:14 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I have learned that relaxation techniques are skills. they improve with practice and your ability to relax. Relaxing helps lower your blood pressure, slow your heart rate, breathing rate, reduces activity of stress hormones. Reduces anger and frustration, boosts confidence to handle problems.

To get the most benefit, use relaxation techniques along with other positive coping methods, such as positive thinking, finding humor, managing time, reaching out to supportive family and friends.

I have just started a Whole Health Challenge Journaling class. It is helping dig to the root of my stress, why I do what I do, what I want to change in my life to give me a healthier life both physically and mentally. It will help me change my life in so many ways for the better.

I take at least five minutes of each day, sit in my peaceful bedroom and block out everything on my mind. That short time of relaxing does wonders for my soul.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  2:39:18 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I stopped by my local Nursery to check out the Herbs they carry. I was able to identify many, but the five I am interested in most are: Chives, Basil, Dill, Parsley ,Thyme.

Chives has a mild onion flavor, can be used in soups, omelettes, fish and salads.

Basil- this herb is rich in historical lore and legend. it is sued in tomato-cheese dishes, spaghetti sauces, vinegars, soups, salads.

Dill-The Greeks believed dill to be so nourishing that athletes were require to eat it in all their foods. dill is very good mixed in a sour cream sauce over cucumbers. Used on fish, egg and cheese dishes, salads, homemade pickles.

Parsley- It has important values as a flavoring agent and a source of nutrition. It compliments almost any meat or vegetable dish and is full of Vitamin C.

Thyme- English especially use Thyme along their garden paths, so that when one walks on it the crushed herb gives off it's delightful fragrance. Thyme is essential to every kitchen because of it's ability to enhance combinations of herbs.

I bought the Dill to grow. In summer I make Bread and Butter Pickles using my homegrown cucumbers.

I always had to buy Dill to use, now I will have my own. the plant is thriving.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  2:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Carole Prevost-Meier (ceridwen, #3610) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“Every morning before I get out of bed, I sit up and concentrate on my breathing for at least 5 min, if not longer. It's amazing how time flies when you are meditating. Afterwards, I concentrate on how I would like my day to unfold. I just think of positive things (affirmations). If I had a rough day the day before, I think of how it can be resolved.

I can no longer start my day on the right foot if I do not have my (at least 5 minutes) of stillness before I get up. Somethings my meditation will take up 20 minutes of my day. I determined the end date for Dec 2014, only because it does not end. It continues to be my morning routine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  2:50:19 PM  Show Profile
Carole Prevost-Meier (ceridwen, #3610) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“In the beginning of the year, my dh was subjected to a 20% pay cut. This was to help the company make ends meet. So we looked for ways to cut back on our expenses. One of which was to cancel our trash removal system and take care of it ourselves. It was quite an eye opener to see how much of what we threw out was recyclable. I'm kind of perplexed as to why unbleached paper & self sealing envelops are to accepted for recycling! The other item I find perplexing is "the textbook should not be more than 15 years old. Fictional novels will not be accepted". It's paper! Maybe I just need to tear it into pages.

From all of the recycling we do, as well as the composting, we have approximately 1.25 bags of garbage per week (and that includes garbage my business - Fibre Junction a quilt shop). That gives us a saving of $34.00 a week. It's amazing how much you reduce your garbage when you pay attention to recycling! I placed the date finished to Dec 21/14 because I'm not done!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  2:52:49 PM  Show Profile
Carole Prevost-Meier (ceridwen, #3610) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Recycling Merit Badge!

“I did some research to find out what we can and cannot recycle. We have since adjusted accordingly. Our recycling facility does not take batteries. So we keep used batteries in a special container and bring them in when the county has a special toxic waste recycling day! We have 3 tier shelving used for the following: none deposit items, deposit items and paper. Every two weeks we bring the recyclable to the Champlain Convenient center. I still cannot get over how much we save!

As I mentioned in the beginning level badge, this all started when my DH had to take a 20% pay cut back in January. It's amazing how much we've cut our rubbish expense. The composting does help quite a bit. Again I placed the end date to Dec 12/14, only because I continue to do this. So technically it hasn't ended!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  2:58:16 PM  Show Profile
Carole Prevost-Meier (ceridwen, #3610) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Home Insulation Merit Badge!

“My home is 180 years old. Slowly I am renovating it. The windows are single pane glass windows with a storm window on the exterior. Since I have lived here (10 years), I have renovated all of the house except the down stairs bathroom, which still has the original window. Insulation consisted of double brick walls. I have since taken down the plaster and insulated the brick exterior walls with polystyrene (best options for these types of homes). Windows have been replaced with double pane argon fill. This was best for our budget. The second floor ceiling has a vapor barrier and fiber glass insulation has been laid. BTW, we recycle our original window glass and use them in various projects. Recently, our chicken coop has glass from our original windows.

Compared to my first year, It's amazing how comfortable the house is during cold winters (the furnace could not keep my home at 63 without continuously running during cold days). Now, 68 is a breeze on extreme cold days. Our heating bill has decreased and our comfort has increased. Renovations continues! I am always looking for ways to reduce my energy usage. The date I used was the last room I renovated, which is my sewing studio! I'm hoping to get the bathroom done next year! Roof this year so I'm researching whether I want a tin room or a shingle room! Decisions, decisions!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  3:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Carole Prevost-Meier (ceridwen, #3610) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“My father (oldest living) came down for a visit and we talked about his family roots. I purchased the "family tree" software and have done some research on ancestor.com and started to build my family tree. I am working on the intermediate level and cannot use the Gov archives, as I am French Canadian. So I will continue my research on Ancestor.com, which has access to Canadian records.

I found out that my paternal great great mother was "illegitimate" and therefore has no last name, which, by the way, no one knew! It also sort of put an end to the maternal side of my father. However, it does open up all kinds of speculations!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  3:14:40 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy (turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“1. I watched vanishing bees as well as a few other documentaries about bees and their decreasing numbers.

2. Just replanted the gardens with both floral and herb treats for the bees.

3. Read Secret Life of Bees for the 2nd time, then watched the movie ... never as good as the book.

This is great! Garden thriving, daughter and hubby know more about bees as well, and I enjoyed both the book and movie.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  3:19:37 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy (turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I read up on putting food away by freezing. At our local farm stand they had a wonderful clearance of peppers and onions. I picked these up and prepped them and froze them by 8, 16 oz packages. I also have been picking up ears of corn on sale and prepping them and freezing them. I picked these up and prepped them and froze them by 8, 16, and 24 oz packages. All labeled and ready for winter use.

So far so good. Only time this winter will tell.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  3:23:28 PM  Show Profile
Tanya Murphy (turtlemoon, #1737) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Cheesemaking Merit Badge!

“I grew up on a dairy ... more cows than goats but both there. I refreshed on proper milk handling. I then read up on the proper guidelines for safety techniques when yogurt making. I played around with a couple different methods but find I like using a thermador best.

Yummy! I made both sweet and sour based yogurts. My family really enjoys it and no longer purchased store bought. Myself, I am vegan so no dairy for myself.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  3:50:48 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Intermediate Level Going Green Merit Badge!

“I made my own laundry detergent, soap, glass cleaner, all purpose cleaner, and floor cleaner. I am sharing my recipes with all who are interested, and posting them on my blog.

When I stopped to think about it, making my own cleaners makes a great deal of financial sense. For 15 minutes of my time and at most a couple of dollars, I have a glass cleaner, an all purpose cleaner, liquid soap, and a floor cleaner. For a little more money, I have a laundry soap that does not cause my skin to break out. I can even customize my laundry soap according to the type of dirt in the clothes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  3:56:18 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Organic on a Budget Merit Badge!

“I ordered MaryJane's Budget Mix, a couple of times; committed to shopping the perimeter of the grocery store when I have to, and enjoying the local farmer's market and fruit stands when they are open; and penciled out a budget using the Budget Mix as the basis, which we stuck to for a month, of which took a couple of months trial and error.

WOW! My family's favorite is the pancakes, but the BakeOver's run a close second. We enjoyed asparagus soup with biscuits, clam chowder, chicken with peas & carrots, fresh salads, rhubarb everything, and much more. I was surprised at the amount of money I saved by getting the majority of the items at the farmers market instead of the grocery store. I also got better about not getting more than we can use and planning our meals ahead of time to keep waste down. We are continuing to keep our budget and plan our meals around what is in season and locally available.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page