Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  4:00:21 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“I kept track of mileage and fuel usage in both of our Subarus for a month, taking care to check the fluid levels (and topped them off) each time I filled up either of the vehicles. I also checked the tire pressure on both vehicles, something which is important to do when the temperature changes as well as to monitor for possible leaks.

My older Subaru is losing oil, but not out of the muffler. I think it might need new gaskets. It definitely needs a new pair of timing belts and a water pump (250K miles). It was good to get back into the habit of checking fluid levels. It helped me to keep in better touch with both the vehicles needed regular maintenance.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  4:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Grow Where You're Planted Merit Badge!

“In Western Washington we have a number of non-invasive native ground covers, 5 of which are kinnickinnick, salal, wood strawberry, bunch berry, and coastal strawberry. I have planted both the strawberries in my strawberry patch and when they put off runners, transplant them around the trees and bushes in the yard. The bunch berries I have also planted around the shrubs and trees. The mosses in the grass are left unharmed, and the salal and kinnickinnick grow in the native part of my yard. I transplant any babies so that I can spread them further.

I'll admit it, I'm a berry addict. An opportunity to plant edible berries native to the area is not to be missed. I plant some for the wild critters and some for me. I also hate to mow the lawn. I would rather be spending that time gardening, or sipping mint tea and dreaming while I enjoy the scents of my herb garden. Grow moss grow!!!! And the best part about a native garden is that is does not have to be watered or weeded once it gets started. I am cleaning out a corner of my place that is full of weed trees and have started establishing the undergrowth for the wild cherry tree and ocean spray bush already there, and will be planting more native plants so that I will have a nice little sanctuary to hang out in.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  4:14:01 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Heirlooms Forever! Merit Badge!

“I am saving more seeds from my heirloom plants, have planted at least 90% heirlooms, including the seeds I saved from last year, and have offered some of my excess to friends and family.

I did not know that my kohlrabi had to over winter in order to go to seed. I am saving its seed now. I am also starting to save a few of the peas as well. The thing I like the most about heirlooms is the ability of the plants to reseed themselves. I have a lot of volunteer broccoli, sunflowers, lettuce, radishes, and potatoes. Not to mention all the dill I can shake a stick at. I have given away not just seeds, but some of the volunteers as well. The rest I am letting grow where they have chosen.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  4:22:51 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“I put up a trellis for me peas and made a pair of bean tepees for my scarlet runners.

I remember doing this as a kid in our family garden. We used fir logs, skinny ones. I used leftover lumber and string. I didn't get a single splinter in my hand this time.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  4:24:59 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level In the Garden Merit Badge!

“Built a raised vegetable garden. Used 15 cans as bells in the garden. Made a bat box and a bird box, using cans for the roof of each house.

It took me nearly a year to collect enough cans to use 15 in a garden and roof two small houses. The raised beds were self defense against all the rock we have in this area. The help with some of the bending as well. Making the bells will hopefully deter the deer from traipsing through the strawberry patch. The bat box was the most time consuming and challenging. I think next time I will using netting or hardware cloth instead of cutting all those little grooves.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2014 :  4:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Winnie Nielsen (Red Tractor Girl, #3109) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I began this badge by watching the recommend Vanishing Bees trailer video from www.vanishingbees.com. This was quite an eye opener to the real threats to today's honey bee populations which are so critical to our agricultural success.

For this badge, we replanted more Florida Plumbago auricle (beautiful light blue flower clusters) and Pentas lanceolata in pink, red, and blue violet colors. There is a photo attached at the end of the Pentas. Both of these flowers are very tolerant of the hot and humid summers in Florida and attract bees, butterflies and a very small variety of humming bird.

Since I had read "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk, I received permission from the home office to swap out that book for "Bees in America: How the Honey Bee shaped a Nation" by Tammy Horn. This book was a fascinating compilation of bee history prior to their arrival to the american colonies of Jamestown in 1607 and Plymouth in 1621. Bees played an important role in providing homes with honey for table use, beeswax for candles, pollination of crops and honey and beeswax for sale.

In 1851 Lorenzo Langstroth's research and work with honey bees resulted in a better bee hive construction which revolutionized bee care making it simpler and more profitable. He also brought Italian Honey Bees to our nation because they tolerated the colder temperatures better, had more prolific queens and were overall more gentle making them easier to handle. As America moved West, bees moved West and bee production and industry grew.

Following WWI, the Federal Government set up programs for wounded veterans on bee keeping as a means of providing them with a skill for earning a living with their permanent war wounds. Bee keeping industry and sales remained steady even during the Great Depression years.

During WWI, bee production ramped up in order to produce the much needed beeswax that weatherproofed canvas tents, machinery parts, leather gun holders and weapons, and waxed planes to help them fly with less friction and thereby saving precious fuel. With so many men at war, women stepped up and learned beekeeping and worked the hives to support the war effort for the much needed beeswax.

The second half of the 20th Century has brought new challenges to bee production. Availability of cheap sugar, global trading markets, introduction of viruses, mites, and foulbrood has seriously threatened honey bee survival. Added to the problem has been pesticide use and lately GMO plants which compound the viability of healthy bee hives.

Agriculture depends on pollination and bees are our resource to that end. Thankfully, bee research and better bee friendly farming are dominating the conversations among growers everywhere. Without the bees, we cannot produce food for our tables, industry or export. We depend on these insects and farmers everywhere are having to confront the problems both induced here and migrated here. I believe there is hope for a brighter future because the simple humble Honey Bee's importance is taking center stage all across America.

This was a fun beginning to learning more about honey bees and their importance. It certainly inspired me to keep moving forward with the next two levels of the badge to increase my knowledge.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2014 :  4:29:29 PM  Show Profile
Winnie Nielsen (Red Tractor Girl, #3109) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“1. I began the Intermediate level for the Bee badge with the required research on the difference between raw and processed honey. Using the site www.honey.com, I learned that raw honey refers to honey that has not been heated or filtered and may contain up to 0.1%-0.4% pollen grains. Raw honey may contain Clostridium Botulism spores and is best not to use in infants under 1 year of age.

Website www.naturalrevolution.org makes claims that raw unpasteurized honey has all sorts of anti-viral, anti-fungal, antibacterial and other health benefits. These anecdotal reports have not been verified as true by the National Honey Board as of 2012. Customers, however, swear by the wonders of raw honey consumption and provide a market for the product.

Website www.blisstree.com further supports the health benefits of raw honey devotees.

Processed honey is heated and will stay in the liquid form longer before crystallizing from particulate matter. A clear honey product is preferred by most customers while not altering the micronutrient profile of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant levels.

Website www.foodsafety.com outlined a problem from Chinese honey. The arrival of honey from China at dirt cheap prices has forced some Americans out of business. In addition the honey was contaminated with illegal animal antibiotics and all traces of pollen removed making it impossible to trace to it's origins. After large buyers of honey like Sara Lee and Smuckers were sold volumes of poor quality and often diluted honey, the US initiated high tariffs on Chinese honey imports. The Chinese, however, continue to launder their inferior product through other countries where tariffs do not exist. American don't want a product that has been tampered with or which is tainted with unsafe antibiotic residues. The solution? Buy honey locally from a reputable vendor!

2. The next challenge was to find local honey vendors. This was easily accomplished by visiting our local Farmer's Market which is held each Wednesday evening from 4-7pm downtown Gainesville. There are usually 1 or 2 vendors there every week with honey and handcrafted beeswax candles.

Last October I had the privilege to meet Chef Laruey Masterton who owned and ran Laurey's Cafe in Asheville, NC where my daughter lives. Sadly earlier this year, Ms. Masterton died of cancer following a 20 year battle. Last fall I met her at a book signing for her new book titled : The fresh HONEY Cookbook. Laurey became a devoted honey beekeeper and developed and tested many ways to use honey in recipes using local ingredients and served in her own restaurant. A spokesperson for the National Honey Board, she taught classes on using bee products in recipes and encouraged everyone to become a backyard beekeeper. The book is divided into twelve chapters featuring a specific type of honey for every month of the year. She then provides recipes specific to local ingredients for that month to use for healthy and delicious eating. Each chapter also reviews bee hive care for her area of the western Appalachian Mts and information about how honey bees live and work.

I was especially intrigued with honey recipes from the South using regional harvests from Tupelo, Sourwood, Tulip Poplar, and Orange Blossom many of which are available to me here in Florida.

The end of the book contains notes on foods pollinated by honey bees, where to find specify honey varieties and a list of suggested readings.

It was a privilege to meet this talented chef who clearly felt her life had bee greatly enriched by becoming a beekeeper!

3. With permission from the home office, I substituted "Bees: Nature's Little Wonders" by Candace Savage with a book given to me for Christmas titled "Robbing the Bees" by Holly Bishop. Holly Bishop researched , studied and published this book after 6 years of keeping her own bees. It is the story of beekeeper, Donald Smiley, who specializes in tupelo honey in the Florida panhandle area of Wewahitchka. Holly follows him for a season as he takes his hives to the tupelo territory. Donald Smiley owns 700 hives and makes a living by contracting them out to farmers for pollinating their crops. The story of his work season is laced with all sorts of bee facts and the ins and outs of making a living as a beekeeper. Readers lean about bee well-being, hive maintenance, bee venom, candle making, honey extraction and recipes using honey starting with the Roman times.

Robbing the Bees, which refers to taking the honey front the hive, was both informational and fun to read. I especially enjoyed learning more about tupelo honey, a true southern favorite in limited quantities. Being based in Florida, the story piqued my interest for the historical and regional details that are just a few hours drive from my home!

4. In late may, the Spring 2014 Alumni magazine from my alma mater, George Mason University, had a cover with a honey bee and the title "The Buzz About Bees". My school partnered with New Century College in Fairfax, Virginia in 2012 to offer the first ever Beekeeping and Sustainability course. The Mason campus is now home to two European honey bee apiaries and more research and outreach is planned for the future. Students learn about the biology, ecology and behavior of bees with hands on work. It is no wonder that the course has a waiting list of 100 students! This January 2014, the George Mason University foundation received a$25,000.00 check for the new program HiveStarter, which is a honey bee initiative aimed at bolstering the health of the local honey bees. I was so excited and thrilled to read about this new adventure and partnership at GMU. I know I would have loved taking this course when I was a student there!!

The Intermediate level was a continuation of more great learning about honey bees. I enjoyed all of the reading and and hope to find some tupelo honey soon to try some of Laurey Masterton's recipes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  3:18:50 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-stitch Merit Badge!

“I have made a few small cross stitch patterns and would say that I am now officially hooked. Pictured is a "biscornu" that I cross stitched and sent to my grandmother.

I love how it came out. I will definitely be making more biscornus in the near future! I think I will fill them with lavender, this one is just stuffed with fiber fill.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  3:22:57 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Cross-stitch Merit Badge!

“I cross stitched the Prairie Schooler pattern called "Where there are Bees" I absolutely loved making this project and couldn't wait to work on it each day. It took me over three weeks to make it, but it was well worth the effort.

I love how it came out and feel really proud that I made this! This summer I plan to redecorate our guest room. I hadn't had solid inspiration for this project until I made this and I plan to frame it and decorate the guest room around this piece, colors and theme.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  3:29:37 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Mathis (Andi, #5199) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I checked all my faucets for leaks and found none. I put it on my calender to check again in six months. I tried five different ways to conserve water.
1. If an ice cube falls on the floor put it in a house plant instead of the sink.
2. Collect rinse water from vegetables and water your plants with it.
3. Reuse your water glass instead of taking a new one every time you need a drink.
4.When washing dishes by hand have a tub for washing and rinsing. rather then rinsing under the running facet.
5. Reuse bath towel to save water on laundry.

These five ideas on saving on water have become habits at my house. I am now coming up with new ideas of saving and reusing water. Like planting a rain garden.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  3:33:57 PM  Show Profile
Amanda Mathis (Andi, #5199) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning an Intermediate Level Water Conservation Merit Badge!

“I have researched grey water and made a rain barrel. The rain barrel has turned out fantastic. I put a valve on to get the water out on the bottom and a valve on the top to control the over flow. I have added goldfish to control the algae. It is great for watering flowerbeds and washing my car.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  3:38:42 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Light the Way Merit Badge!

“I made a chandelier like the one in "MaryJane's Ideabook."

It turned out really cool looking, but I think I am going to keep a lookout for chandelier crystals and glass beads to hang from it to give it a bit more sparkle.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  3:53:53 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Light the Way Merit Badge!

“I made the chandelier from an old pair of garden fences tied together with wire. Then I made the hooks to put the candle holders onto. I also put glass prisms from an old auction chandelier on the bottom of the candle holders for a bit of bling! I used old wire that my hubby had lying around. It had to be stripped off the plastic coating first. I used wire strippers, pliers & my fingers.

I love that I used discarded fencing, wires, glass jars, candles & prisms. I bought a shepherd's hook to hang the chandelier from & then I lit the candles for a great ambiance at my glamping site!.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  3:57:33 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Glamping Merit Badge!

“I took my glamper to the back of our property & setup the whole thing. I invited my best friend to bring her camper over for International Glamping Weekend. What fun! I dug my own fire pit & used an old tire rim for the pit for safety;also made a sign from old trim work & paint; made a Powder Room from our old tent, putting in an old commode, making a sink from an old sewing machine cabinet. Our creative project was to make glamping journals to take with us.

We had the best weekend together away from it all. It stormed off & on all weekend, but we made the most of it by playing cards, dominoes & visiting. Lots of laughing while blowing soap bubbles! And we ate so-o-o good, with all the meals being made on the open fire & my cast iron griddle. We even took a restful nap in the afternoon while watching the clouds drift by. We saw rainbows, a meteor shower, fog on the field, sandhill cranes & a nesting tree swallow. We ended the weekend by getting together with our hubby's for a bonfire & wine! Check the Farmgirl Connection for all the fun pictures!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  4:04:27 PM  Show Profile
Courtney Robbins (FolkHearts, #4840) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“To earn my intermediate level badge for crochet I thought I would try my hand at some MaryJane Slippers! This pattern was a little complex for what I was used to and the first time I tried to make them I was out to camp without the help from my go-to crochet expert (mum) and without electricity. I crocheted in the company of my soon-to-be sister-in-law while we were at camp, and as she knitted away I crocheted away. After 10 hours of crocheting the soles and body for these slippers I realized they were way too big! Huge actually! I left camp feeling a little frustrated that I had spent all that time on these slippers that could fit my boyfriend!

I was determined to figure out this pattern, so every night after school for a few hours I restarted them. Eventually I figured out what I was doing wrong and managed to finish two even slippers! It took me another 10 hours to complete the darn things and a little extra time to pick out the perfect wooden buttons!

My MaryJane Slippers are awesome! They are a perfect fit and really comfy and cozy on my feet. I used gray and yellow yarn so they have a really beautiful contrast. The wooden buttons are nice final touch and I am proud that I didn't just give up on completing them! I truly learned a lot through my struggle. For this pattern I had to learn how to follow an intermediate pattern, practice my ch, dc, and I had to learn how to dc2tog. I also had to learn and practice my patience!!

Here is a link to the website where I found the free pattern for personal use only: http://thelittlehousebythesea.wordpress.com/2009/09/03/free-pattern-for-mary-jane-slippers/”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  4:10:25 PM  Show Profile
Courtney Robbins (FolkHearts, #4840) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“To earn my Intermediate Knitting Badge I wanted to try something a little more challenging than a cowl on my circular needles! My boyfriend's sister shared a really awesome knitting pattern with me that was for a Cowl/Shawl that was inspired by Katniss Everdeen from the new Hunger Games movie! I fell in love with the pattern and thought it would be a great challenge!

The pattern worked up in 3 sections. The first section was created like a sash/sling and I had to learn how to do a new stitch called the herringbone. This was challenging and I took it out and restarted several times!! After a few days of restarting I finally figured it out and then had to switch to the project over to circular needles for the second section. I had to practice my knitting in the round and took on the new challenge of also picking up stitches...which I had also never done before. The final section I had to switch the project to smaller circular needles and finish it in the herringbone pattern.

For this project I knitted in the company of my boyfriend who was probably getting just as frustrated as I was listening to me grumble!

All of my frustration was worth it though and I stuck through it! My Katniss Cowl came out awesome! It is so beautiful! I even spent extra time in my studio at school creating the perfect handmade ceramic buttons to give it its final touch! The Cowl is super neat, unique ,and I have received so many compliments on it. This project made me so much more confident in my knitting and I feel ready to take on a project like a sweater now... I just need to save up and buy some gorgeous yarn for it! I also am planning on making another one this fall to give to a close friend for Christmas!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2014 :  4:52:39 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Spruill (#5499) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Origami Merit Badge!

“I did internet research to learn the history of origami. The word "origami" literally means "folding paper". The art dates back to 17th century AD and there are many countries that have origami in their history. It is fascinating! I then took on the class to learn to fold a simple paper plane. It was pretty simple and straight forward.

This turned out wonderful! The plane actually glided pretty far!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  4:51:45 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Safe Toys Merit Badge!

“I made a topsy-turvy doll, a child's and dolls sized aprons, and gave both the aprons and the doll to my daughter.

My daughter is thrilled to have another apron (she has a small collection) and a doll that her mother made. The doll apron she immediately put on her stuffed wolf so she would not get dirty. When I started making the doll, I wasn't so sure things were going to turn out ok, but in the end it worked. I used left over fabric from clothes I had made for my daughter when she was a baby. Both projects allowed me to use up some bits of fabric and lace.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  4:59:25 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Quilting Merit Badge!

“I have always wanted to make a double wedding ring quilt--for at least the last 30 years! I finally got up the courage to try it. I had to have my quilting instructor help me with some sizing issues on it. But I managed to get through the making of it after many hours of sizing, sewing, cutting, unsewing & resewing. I learned to do curves, melons, and scalloped bindings. I spent more than 50 hours--183 hours to completion. I also helped 5 others either learn new quilting techniques/complete their projects!

I was very pleased at how this quilt turned out. Originally I had planned to make a full-sized quilt but opted to make the wall hanging. Because of complications with sizing on this pattern, I did not have enough material to make it any bigger. I also had bought the material 30 years ago and couldn't find any more to match. This was the best solution. I did the quilting in both machine and hand for completion. I entitled this, "30 year project", which I thought was very appropriate.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  5:00:27 PM  Show Profile
Terry Steinmetz (teryouth54, #3600) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Community Service Merit Badge!

“I kept a journal of what goals we wanted to meet at Sewing Circle at the First Lutheran Church for helping their Women's ministry making blankets to sent in their relief project. I gave over 52 hours of my time to help in the making of blankets to send all over the world.

I enjoyed being a part of a group of women that care so much for others that they donate their time, energies & money to help those that need it. I am the youngest woman that helps, with the average age of the women being 75-77. Last October we sent 985 blankets that went all over the world! Our goal this year is to make 999 blankets, as one of the ladies said she would die if we did 1,000. I'm so proud to be a part of this great group of ladies, and this isn't my church!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  5:05:06 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level The Secret Life of Bees Merit Badge!

“I watched the trailer suggested in the badge requirement area, as well as watching a couple of documentaries on Netflix. I have read the Secret Life of Bees, twice actually and seen the movie. I also planted a bird/bee garden last year, which attracted a lot of visitors, and is coming back this year stronger and buzzing with even more activity.

I enjoyed the Secret Life of Bees (obviously) and also learned a lot about why our bees are disappearing. :( The bird/bee garden came out great last year and is coming back even stronger this year.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  5:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have collected at least a dozen re-useable bags for myself, and at least that many for my family and friends and have been using them for every time I shop for several months now.

I think this turned out great. There is a new fee in my area associated with using plastic bags, so it is nice to not have to pay that fee and it feels good to know that I am not adding more plastic to our already full of plastic landfills. I also appreciate how much sturdier then re-useable bags are than the plastic ones - no blow outs yet!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  5:11:26 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Glamping Merit Badge!

“I thought I had already applied for this badge, but upon review I see I have not. Last summer my best friend and I went glamping in her back yard. She lives in a rather wooded area and far out of town. We set up a big tent, decorated everything and ate fun glamping food like salad with pansies on it, fruit salad and we learned how to grill over the fire.

We had an amazing time!! My dog Bonita came with us and I think she could really get used to the Glamping lifestyle. We are definitely beginning glampers, so we have a long way to go to pro, but it was wonderful!

(We even had a BEAR come visit our glamp site! It was pretty exciting)”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  5:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I made a half apron using vintage fabric, vintage lace and a vintage pattern a friend of mine shared with me.

It turned out great!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  5:16:08 PM  Show Profile
Sarah Hall (mrssarahhall, #5223) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I thought these came out really great! I am attaching a photo of only my favorite one, since I can't attach more than one photo. I did the heart on the front as an applique, which I had never done before. The other I made for a dear friend in blacks and whites and I put her initial on the pocket in rhinestones. Her response was "I can't believe you made this for me, I absolutely love this thing"”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page