Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  2:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Linda Woodruff (#5951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Know Your Roots Merit Badge!

“Went to a family reunion, Cox's in Millsap, Texas on 07/26/2014. It was at their Community Center. Everyone brought food and had lunch and visited.

I was able to get a little family history on my husbands great grandfather Abe Goodrich Swinney b.1852 Miss. came to Texas. One cousin Debbie shared her photo album and notes with us, which helped and she also shared two pictures with us she had extras of, which was very kind. I Spent almost 3 hours visiting.

We really had a wonderful time, it was my first reunion. I met so many nice and friendly people there. Enjoyed all the good food that was brought too. Looking forward to going again next year.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  3:12:24 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (Forever Young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“I learned to save seeds using MaryJanes article in the Aug/Sept. magazine. I could not believe how easy it was to dry and save seeds from my Heirloom veggies. I dried and saved cucumber, okra and tomato seeds. This summer I have planted more than 25% heirloom varieties in my garden.

I love the fact that I learned to save my seeds and will be able to use them again, knowing what I am planting and eventually eating.

I can also share my seeds with friends and family with directions on how to save their own seeds. Pay it Forward.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  3:23:35 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (Forever Young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Relaxation Merit Badge!

“I have taken another Journaling class for Peace of Mind and Body. I have really enjoyed taking this course. I am ready to relax and meditate using words to bring peace to my inner body and soul. I also continued to wrote down daily what I did to relax and calm me.

In keeping a daily journal I discovered I relax the most when I cook, Can, read cookbooks, listen to gospel music and just veg out sitting on the front porch enjoying nature. In doing this I also discovered what I am really interested in, enjoying my life to the fullest.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  3:38:25 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Boyd (NancyOH1, #2508) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Gaining Ground Merit Badge!

“I began earning this badge in August 2013 by reading the book "Worms ate my Garbage" by Mary Appelhof. Then I purchased my worm bin from a local store here in the Columbus, Ohio area named "City Folks" that has a lot of great stuff for the urban farmer. Shawn, the owner of the store, was able to get my supply of Red Wigglers from a local guy who she uses for customers. I came home and started up the bin and added my great Red Wigglers to do their stuff. I fee them a lot of good decaying and moldy stuff along with making sure they stay moist with newspaper sprayed with Spring Water.

The Red Wigglers have created a great bin of Black Gold for me to start using in my flower beds and raised bed gardens. In fact, I am getting ready to start a second tier bin on their tower. YEAH!! Go Red Wigglers!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  3:44:02 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Boyd (NancyOH1, #2508) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“In August 2013 I read the book "Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists and Creatives of all Kinds" by Tara Frey. I choose the name "Lefty's Craft Shack" for the name of my blog since I love doing crafts and anything and everything related to crafting.

It has turned out really nice and I have gotten really excited about the blog and sharing what I am currently into.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  3:46:14 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Boyd (NancyOH1, #2508) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“Well I started my blog on Wordpress.com entitled "Lefty's Craft Shack". My first first post was about my drop spindle.

It turned out really well. A little scary at first trying to figure everything at first. But still very exciting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  3:51:16 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Boyd (NancyOH1, #2508) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Expert Level Blogging Merit Badge!

“For my Expert Merit Badge Level I added pictures to my blogs to let visitors see what I have been working on during the day. I have added quite a few blogs that I am following. At first there where only a few and now there are many blogs being followed.

Now that I am getting the hang of blogging, visiting other individual's sites, and leaving messages for them it is getting more exciting to see things come together. It is getting very exciting to check daily to see how many hits and/or followers I have on my blog. Woohoo!!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2014 :  4:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Sylvia Jacobus (Cissik, #5389) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Heirlooms Forever Merit Badge!

“Read the book, Gardening with Heirloom Seeds, by Lynn Coulter. It was an eye opener. So I quickly went searching last spring for some seeds. I've enclosed some photos of the San Marzano, some Romas, the Mortgage Lifter and the white tomatoes I've grown this summer. Night temps are falling so I"ll have a lot of green tomatoes. Brussel sprouts, banana peppers, squash and basil rounded out my heirloom garden.

I'm sending photos so you can see the results of my seedlings and what they've produced. Usually NW weather doesn't allow me to grow large tomatoes but you'll see a Mortage lifter hiding behind some leaves and will be eaten soon!The rest of the photos will be posted in the chatroom.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  3:41:42 PM  Show Profile
Joanna Green (Joanna, #5965) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“Attached is a photo of the half apron that I made. I haven't done a lot of sewing so this was a fun project to do. I actually started making it a little differently and then changed my mind about how I wanted it to look. I took it apart and remade it! I quit keeping track of how many hours it was taking after five hours! I chose to embroidery apples because of the coming fall season, and I did a green blanket stitch on the bottom.

I am very happy with the result. I have been wearing a black apron in the kitchen all the time; now I will have something a little nicer to wear!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  3:47:22 PM  Show Profile
Nikki Hurlbut (MrsHurlbut, #5131) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I have been crocheting for a little over a year. Last Fall/Christmas I made all the older women in my family dishcloths for their Christmas gifts. They loved them! I was truly surprised at how much they appreciated the homemade gifts. I decided I would start making them again this year!!

My dishcloths turned out pretty good to the naked eye. I made a few mistakes but because I used two different strands it's easier to disguise! I had to pull a few stitches out and restart but overall, I'm very satisfied with my finished product!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  3:55:05 PM  Show Profile
Linda Cole (#4879) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Fishing Merit Badge!

“I made the following knots---clinch, palomar, turle, barrel and double surgeons loop. made the clinch, palomar and turle with fishing line looking at pictures. I got wise and went on the internet and watched a video to make the barrel and double surgeons loop using cord. It was much easier watching a video and using cord.

The ones using fishing line were much harder to make and so small I cannot tell how well they are made. The ones I made with cord were easier to make and look much better than I expected.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  3:57:04 PM  Show Profile
Linda Cole (#4879) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate Level Fishing Merit Badge!

“I read the fishing regulations for Alabama and discovered on the fish and game website we have one fish that must be thrown back no matter the size because they are rare here. I found out the most popular fish in this area then went on the internet to see what bait to use. For example: for bass if using artificial bait use a split shot rig but if using live bait use baitfish, lizards or crayfish. On catfish use minnows or a homemade bait containing such things as liver and cheese

This was very interesting. I learned a lot. I live less than a 5 min. drive to lake Guntersville and did not fish. now that may change.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  4:02:04 PM  Show Profile
Linda Cole (#4879) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level Fishing Merit Badge!

“My son woke me up before 5am to go fishing while it was still cool. We went to town creek and fished off the pier for two hours. I used worms, minnows and crickets not caring what kind of fish I caught, just please Lord, give me a fish. I had never caught a fish and if I was going to be out there at that time of day I really wanted a fish.

I surprised myself and caught two. One carp and one catfish. I caught both of them on a worm. I caught something else but realized my float was going at a rapid clip toward the main water and my line was limp. Now I am hooked...”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  4:08:30 PM  Show Profile
Christine Slaughter (cms123168, #5837) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“We bought 4 chicks in June of this year and are anxiously awaiting our first eggs, hopefully this December. We recently decided that 4 wouldn't be enough, so luckily I stopped by a local feed store today and they had chicks! It was too cute!

So far so good! All of our adolescent chicks are thriving and we are hoping for eggs in a couple of months.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  4:12:10 PM  Show Profile
Christine Slaughter (cms123168, #5837) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I've been interning at Boulder Creek Goat Farm during the past year to learn how to care for dairy goats. I am learning to milk the does and how to care for them. I was able to purchase two does in June, and look forward to breeding them after the first of the year and then experimenting with cheese making.

The girls are doing well! They are so sweet and pretty...”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  4:17:04 PM  Show Profile
Christine Slaughter (cms123168, #5837) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I have been knitting for 20+ years now, but recently I was able to teach my seven year old nephew how to knit a scarf (he asked for lessons!)

I got him started but I'm not sure if he is ready to sit still long enough to finish. At least that knitting seed has been planted!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  4:26:16 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Recipes Merit Badge!

“The first thing I did was make a list of the recipes I wanted to include as heirloom recipes. We are a family that cooks quite often and the list could have been out of control. I decided to be selective, and possibly add to it as I have time. I also decided to write them down on recipe cards. I have a large book full of recipes that I write or print out, and I’ve often wished that I had recipe cards as a more convenient way of getting the one recipe you need. I found free printable recipe cards online and printed them on cardstock.

Most of the recipes center on a specific holiday so I coordinated the recipe cards to match the holiday. I used a card with a green border for St. Patrick’s Day, a spider for Halloween, a fall theme for Thanksgiving, a Christmas tree for Christmas. I also have a specific style card for recipes from my sister, and a different one for recipes from my mother.

Almost all of these recipes were already written down, but I love the fact that now I have them all together. It took a little persuading for some of them. I remember one of my friends asking my mom for her potato salad recipe, and my mom just said that we don’t give it out. I was a little shocked. I didn’t know we had “secret recipes”. We also had a chicken and noodles recipe go to the grave with my great grandmother. She did not want to part with that recipe. I have since convinced my mother that we shouldn’t hoard the recipes like that. I mean, if you have a good thing you should share it right?”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2014 :  4:32:29 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner & Intermediate Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“My herb garden this year had sage, rosemary, mint, basil, greek basil, purple basil, oregano, cilantro, marjoram, chives and mustard. The sage did not grow very well, so I didn’t end up harvesting it, but it did grow a little. Rosemary I use for many recipes, such as crock pot rosemary apple chicken, minestrone, and rosemary bread. Mint is used to garnish, and I have plans to make shrub with it. Basil I use on pizza, roasted tomatoes for freezer sauce, and any recipe that calls for it. Greek basil I made pesto out of, and I currently have some drying in my kitchen. Purple basil is drying in the kitchen also. Oregano is used for roasted tomatoes (freezer sauce), and any recipe calling for it. Cilantro I use for guacamole, and a few crock pot recipes. Marjoram I will dry for pizza sauce. Chives are used for buffalo turkey burgers, scrambled eggs, and my kids love to just grab a bit and chew on it. The mustard I’m really not sure what to do with. I planted it because I had the seeds, but the only thing I’ve read about it is that it’s good ground cover and natural mulch for other plants. So I might try that.

I’ve loved my herb garden this summer. It’s right next to our side door, so I see it every time I walk out of the house. It always makes me happy. I love the fact that I’m drying my own herbs. I love that, for a little while longer at least, I can just walk out my back door and snip some rosemary, chives, or basil. Most of what I need is right there. I have all the usual suspects herb-wise for my recipes, and that’s so convenient and wonderful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  3:12:23 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Weather Merit Badge!

“I kept a detailed chart of the weather for more than a month, recording changes throughout the day in the temperature, wind, humidity (moisture), clouds, and anything else pertinent to my daily activities.

It made me more conscious of when I needed to water my garden and which days were best for hanging out the laundry as well as how fast a load of laundry would dry and I could put out a second load. It helped me be a better judge of what the next morning would look like too.

Weather is the foothills of the mountains is different from the lowlands. The clouds don't clear as fast and it will often be hotter during the day and cooler at night. It matters to plants a lot.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  3:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“I changed the oil and filters in my vehicle, refilled the washer fluid, replaced the air filter, and even installed new bulbs in the headlights. I recycled the oil into our shop heater.

There is nothing quite like busting your knuckles on an air filter to make you say a few choice words about auto manufacturers. The air filter is a pain on my Subaru.

This reminded me of when my father first taught me how to change the oil in our truck and dropped the engine oil plug in the pan the oil was draining into. I then had to fish around in the nasty black oil until I found the plug so I could put it back into the engine.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  3:22:59 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Plant it Forward Merit Badge!

“I planted an extra row in the garden and donated the produce to the local food bank. I also donated about a third of the plums that came off one of our plum trees. The local raccoons cleaned off the plums on the other tree, and the remaining two-thirds were divided between friends, family, and the chickens. We had a lot of plums.

The food bank was thrilled to get farm fresh produce and fruit. I grew summer squash and am still taking loads to the food bank. I have also taken in peas, lettuce, and cucumbers.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  3:26:56 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Organic on a Budget Merit Badge!

“I grew several varieties of beans in the garden this year and made use of my crock pot and many herbs to provide meals for less. I have continued to use Budget Mix to make casseroles from leftovers and pancakes for breakfast (a family favorite). I buy organic in season fruit and vegetables to supplement what we are growing.

The hardest part of paring down a food budget is finding low cost healthy alternatives for protein. I have also created fruit and veggie piggies out of my family. Whatever is in season get lots of, put it in a bowl, and tell everyone I want it gone. A couple of days later I am buying more fruit.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  3:32:56 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I dried/dehydrated peas, carrots, peppers, raspberries, pineapple, strawberries, bananas, cherries, apricots, and a variety of herbs. I hung many of the herbs upside down and wrapped in cheesecloth in my storage room. I cut up the chives and spread them on wax paper to dry on the dining room table along with the peas and beans. The fruit I dried either in the oven or in my dehydrator. I sued the herbs and vegetables to make chicken noodle soup and the fruits to make trail mix or add to cereal for breakfast.

Each method worked for the plant material involved and kept the bugs from eating my treasures. Space is the hardest part. I need to design or find a dehydrator the would utilize the sun for a heat source, but still keep the bugs away from the foods. Hmmm....

Everything tasted great though. I am perfecting my dried herbs and veggies for a portable just add water soup for camping.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  3:36:07 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a Beginner Level Outstepping Merit Badge!

“State bird: Willow Goldfinch, state tree: Western Hemlock, state flower: Coast Rhododendron. Went hiking at Sunrise on Mt Rainier to the lookout tower, hiking at Paradise on Mt Rainier to the entrance of the Muir ice field and went hiking at the Mt Rainier entrance near Carbonado, WA.

There are a lot of rocks on the way to the outpost by Sunrise. The outhouse on Mt Rainier from the Paradise trail will give you an updraft when you sit on it. The Carbonado River is cold and the growth is luscious. Saw lots of hemlock and a few rhododendron. The goldfinch ate a meal straight from my sunflowers in the yard. Nature is a wondrous and beautiful thing.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  3:39:13 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Expert Level First Aid Merit Badge!

“I re-enrolled in both the first aid and the CPR course and am now certified through 2015.

I have been keeping up both my CPR and first aid certification since I was in junior high school. It is amazing just how much has changed over the course of those 30+ years.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page