Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  3:47:17 PM  Show Profile
Emily Race (Simply Satisfied, #3591) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning an Intermediate & Expert Level Woman-at-Arms Merit Badge!

“I am applying for both the intermediate and expert badge. I have been a hunter for around 9 years. I drew a permit to hunt moose this year and began practicing with my 270 at the rifle range. I learned to be comfortable shooting accurately. I practiced at 100 and 200 yards. I also learned about different grains of bullets that could be used and cleaned my gun.

I then went hunting with my husband and found a beautiful moose.

I became very confident using and taking care of my 270. I was ready when I found the moose to make good safe hunting choices. We now have 325 pounds of meat we processed in our freezer to feed our family for the year.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  3:56:49 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a Beginner Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“I grabbed my oil can and walked around not only the house but also the barns and gave all the hinges a little squirt!

All except one door turned out great! Unfortunately, by oiling the parlor door the cows are now able to push it open easily with their noses. It makes milking a little frustrating when extra cows keep trying to come in.”

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  4:01:58 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an Intermediate Level Little Squirts Merit Badge!

“Along with my oil can I took my screwdriver to tighten up any hinges and checked all the locks.

It turned out great! Only one door needed a little adjusting, but it made a big difference in how easily the door opens and closes.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  4:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a Beginner Level Get it Together Merit Badge!

“I organized all my cupboards and recycled/reused all containers that do not get used on a regular basis.

This has been wonderful! Now I can easily find what I'm looking for and there's much more room in my cupboards than I remember having.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  4:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Backyard Farmer Merit Badge!

“I've lived on a dairy farm almost my entire life so for this badge I've taught many people how to milk cows.

It's fun to see people get so excited over milking a cow. Some have so much trouble that when they finally get a squirt out it's a reason for a celebration. I think it's wonderful to be able to show others where milk comes from.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  4:20:13 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning a Beginner Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“Since I don't travel many places I changed this badge up a little. Instead of focusing on the truck I focused on the skid loader. It's the most important piece of machinery on the dairy farm!

I had my husband show me where everything was and then I made sure to check all the fluids - oil, hydraulic, and coolant every week. Along with checking the tire pressure. I did not keep track of the hour usage since it varies greatly depending on what we're doing - like making hay for instance.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  4:27:13 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“For this I again kept with the skid loader and learned how to change the oil.

Surprisingly it is much easier to change the oil in the skid loader than it is my car! The oil plug is conveniently located on the skid loader rather than having to jack it up and climb under it like my car. And, we save the oil for a friend that has an oil burner on his farm.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  4:28:51 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Expert Level Grease Chicks Merit Badge!

“For the Expert level of this badge I stuck with the skid loader. After learning to check the fluids and change the oil I learned to change the filters - oil, fuel, and air - change tires - and grease all the bearings.

It's very satisfying to know that can properly care for the most valuable machine on the farm.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  4:36:29 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“I've made a lot of aprons but my favorite (that I'll attach a picture of) is from a worn out pair of jeans and let over material that I put together a half apron for my niece's birthday.

Adorable!! She loves it. I think my apron addiction is starting to wear off on her.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  4:44:57 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Aprons Merit Badge!

“For this apron I used Simplicity 1936 pattern. This turned out wonderful! I love aprons and wear them all the time. This one however will be given as a gift.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  1:25:59 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“I've had a horrible time learning to crochet! I tried and tried over the years and just could not do it. For Christmas my mom got me some yarn, a book, and some hooks. I still couldn't get the hang of it. I attempted to learn again before calling to wish her a happy mother's day. I told her that I just couldn't do it and I was done. We spent the next hour and 45 minutes on the phone with her crocheting along with me and I FINALLY got it! Turns out I misunderstood what the book was telling me.

After that call with Mom I was so happy that I could crochet. My projects didn't turn out the best. I have quite a few lopsided dishcloths, but I am so happy that I can crochet - I haven't been able to go back to knitting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  1:32:45 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Crochet Merit Badge!

“Since learning to crochet I can't seem to stop! For the intermediate badge I learned some new stitches for some dishcloths, attempted a rug, and made a clothespin holder.

My dishcloths are now square, but I can not say the same for the rug and clothespin holder. I don't drop stitches anymore, but my stitches start out tight and get looser as I go. Attached is the clothespin holder I made - complete with mini clothes!! I love it.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  1:38:48 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“I haven't knitted since I was in 4-H years ago. To get the hang of it again I made a lot of dishcloths for friends and family.

At first it didn't go so well. I was dropping stitches and ending up with holes in my dishcloths. But, eventually I got the hang of it. Here's a picture of one of my mishaps!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  1:40:07 PM  Show Profile
Heather Neeper (nndairy, #4701) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Intermediate Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“To further my knitting experience I learned a few different stitches that I used to make a sheep dishcloth. The sheep is puffy! I also made some finger less mittens and some little chickens that all made great gifts.

They all turned out wonderful. My niece has requested another pair of the mittens - now if I could just put down my crochet hook and get back to knitting.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  1:49:33 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Bowman (tbowman_17, #6032) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“I have gathered at least six reusable bags and placed them in my vehicle, so that I will have them available to use the next time, and every time after that, that I go shopping.

I remembered to use the bags!! Pledging to use them every single time I make a trip to the store for anything, whether it's a big shopping trip or just for a few items. Forgot to take a photo but will definitely take one next time that I shop!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  2:03:32 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“For the other three herbs, I planted thyme, mint and chives. I have been harvesting them and using thyme, basil and chives to make cubes for freezing adding either butter or olive oil.

Three of my sisters were here to visit, so I made gift packets (mixes) with the herbs I have grown and harvested. I mailed my daughter some mixes and gave the same thing to my daughter-in-law. I included the recipe I used and also several recipes on how they can use the herb mixtures.

It is a joy to walk out my door, pick fresh herbs, smell them on my hands and use them in the food I create and cook.
My family was so happy to receive the packets they would like to make it a tradition.

I have enjoyed growing these herbs and plan on growing more come spring.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  2:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Herbs Merit Badge!

“I read about how to freeze produce from my canning books. I learned how to freeze herbs, hot peppers and green tomatoes. I picked my dill, froze it on a cookie sheet, then put in a freezer bag. My basil, I put fresh in a mason jar to freeze, eventually it turned dark, when I posted this on the chatroom, I asked my farmgirl sisters why it did so.

My hot peppers are just turning red, so I am freezing to use this winter and next summer when I have tomatoes to make hot sauce.
I sliced my green tomatoes, lay them on a flat pan to freeze, then transfer to a vacuum bag. When I want fried green tomatoes this winter, I have them.

I am very excited about learning to freeze produce, because I have always canned everything. I look forward to the next garden season when I can grow and freeze more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  2:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an Intermediate Level Self-Sufficiency Merit Badge!

“I made Mary Jane's apple pie filling from her IdeaBook. I Canned 7 qts. and had enough left over to make my husband an apple pie. I especially love the sauce. This recipe will also be good heated and served with vanilla ice cream.

I tried a new recipe for Roasted Garlic Pasta sauce. It is so garlicky and tasty. Along with eating it on pasta, it is also good served with bread and as a dipper. My family really loves this recipe.

I have also learned to make Bread and Butter pickles. Using this recipe, keeps them crisp. They are kept in the refrigerator. I never did care for bread and butter pickles because of them being so sweet, this recipe is not.

I really enjoyed making and trying these new recipes and the different ways of preserving food. I can't wait until next season to try more.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  2:46:01 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Make it Easy for earning an Intermediate Level Let's Get Physical Merit Badge!

“I have continued to eat organic foods, especially those found locally at local farmers markets or fresh from the farm. I have been exercising daily and throughout the day (push away from the desk, do a few squats or standing ab contractions, then back to the desk), and walking my daughter to and from the bus stop.

The organic food is easy now. It tastes better and there is a wonderful (and colorful) variety of foods out there to be eaten. Adding more deliberate exercise to my daily routine has been a lot more difficult, especially with harvest season in full swing. I am down to canning the apples and remaining cucumbers. I feel like I stand a little taller than I used to though, and I know my waistline has gotten smaller.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  2:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Expert Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I have canned tomatoes, peppers, onions, carrots, cucumbers (ad nauseam), pears, apples,pumpkin, and plums using either water bath method or the pressure canner (my grandmothers). I posted in the chatroom about my canning endeavors. I dehydrated chicken and a variety of vegetables and herbs for later use, and froze countless blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries. Using my dehydrated chicken, vegetables, and herbs, I made chicken soup in the crock pot. Using canned pears and frozen raspberries, I made a fruit strudel for dessert. When my folks came over midday, they helped clear the contents of the dishes.

Having things already partially prepared makes making meals so much easier, especially during harvest season when time is a hot commodity. My mom even paid me a compliment.

My goal has always been to have a home that smelled as good as hers always did. Hers always smelled like home cooked food. She told me I had succeeded and it was wonderful.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  3:40:35 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jo Boyd (Quiltsister413, #5559) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an Expert Level Knitting Merit Badge!

“While in Lincoln, NE for a business conference, my friend and I stopped in to the local yarn store and found an adorable shawl pattern that we both had to make. We purchased two skeins of Crazy yarn and got to work right away in our hotel room. It took me about a month, but I finished it.

I think it went well. The pattern was by far the most challenging one I have tried, but I enjoyed knitting a little each night and watching it grow. I got to use circular needles for the first time and found I really loved them. The edge called for an I-cord bind off which was completely new to me. Youtube videos are so helpful in these situations! I found several videos to help me through and it turned out very nice.

I taught four ladies how to knit at our last Faithful Farm Girl meeting. Each of the ladies brought size 7 knitting needles and some practice yarn and I taught them how to tie a slip knot, do a long tail cast on, how to knit and how to purl. I also provided them with two patterns for knitting dishcloths and they are off and running...or is that knitting.

The fifth person I taught to knit is actually my friend and knitting teacher. I actually got to teach her two techniques I had learned that she didn't know. How cool is that! I taught her the long tail cast on method and also a new way to add a new color or skein in the middle of your project. She now uses both new techniques and loves them!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  3:52:24 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a Beginner Level Cross-Stitch Merit Badge!

“I cross-stitched 5 ornaments from patterns I found online. I kept 2 of them and gave away the other 3 in a Farmgirl swap.

I love how quick theses ornaments were to cross stitch. I love red and white for Christmas décor, and I’m always partial to “noel” themes because my daughter is named Noelle. I’m still working on my finishing technique and trying to improve it. Practice makes perfect!”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  3:57:48 PM  Show Profile
Erin McBride (notathreatinsight, #3762) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a Beginner Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“I roasted tomatoes and froze them for pasta sauce. I shared the recipe on the Farm Kitchen section of the Farmgirl Connection. I also froze blueberries for pancakes or just snacking, and peppers for eggs or stir-fry.

When I’m ready for pasta sauce I just take a bag out to thaw in fridge, and heat it up on the stove when it’s thawed. I can take the blueberries out without thawing and rinse them and out them right in the pancakes. The peppers thaw before I use them.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  4:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Peggy Smith (forever young, #1815) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an Intermediate Level Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge!

“You can dry produce naturally in the sun, via solar assisted methods, it is the least expensive method and often results in products of lower quality. An electric dehydrator is the best and most efficient way to dry produce, you can also dry produce in the oven, but the process will take longer and produce inferior results to food dried in a dehydrator.

I dried celery, mushrooms and cranberries. I use the celery to grind up as a powder to enhance the flavor of food. I will use the mushrooms in stews and other foods. I use the cranberries in pancakes, snack food, cupcakes, ect.

I took a cube of frozen herbs in butter, let it melt and added to my dried mushrooms. I sauteed' that together, then poured it over rib eye steaks. such a wonderful flavor and so convenient having your own homemade food available.

I bought a new dehydrator along with the book "Food Drying with an Attitude" by Mary Bell. I love drying food and the joy it gives me when family come over and admire my jars of dried food.
Drying food helps promote a simpler, sustainable and more self-sufficient lifestyle.”

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  4:10:24 PM  Show Profile
Kris Sievert (kesinmn, #6020) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a Beginner Level Shopping Green Merit Badge!

“We had a small collections of bags that we would take into the grocery store. But we weren't consistent about using them since we didn't have enough. So we collected every bag we could find!

There is a wide variety in bags!! We have lost a couple of the pressed fabric bags - usually the cheaper type of bags. So we learned to use those for chips, breads, bakery. The woven fabric canvas bags work best for cans & heavy items. We have a couple odd ball plastic bags that work good for miscellaneous items. We found the if we stuffed each type of bag into the same type, it was way easier to bag up everything. We also learned we have WAY more then enough bags when we finally got them together.”

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page